• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KonRad

KonRad

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I picked up a Nexus 7 a month or so back and am pretty happy with it as it came out of the box. Have loaded all my "must have" apps and Really like the 7" form factor. That said, can anyone give me a good argument on why I should "root" this tablet? I can't think of a thing I'm missing but I'm not sure what options rooting would open up.

My little gTab is feeling lonely these days. It's running Brilliant Corners and has been a great learning tool for Android. I may start using that one as a test bench / learning platform to dig deeper in the tweaking world.
Thanks.
KonRad

#2 50437

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationLeicester, Leicestershire, East Midlands, England, United Kingdom, Britain, Europe, Earth

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I picked up a Nexus 7 a month or so back and am pretty happy with it as it came out of the box. Have loaded all my "must have" apps and Really like the 7" form factor. That said, can anyone give me a good argument on why I should "root" this tablet? I can't think of a thing I'm missing but I'm not sure what options rooting would open up.

My little gTab is feeling lonely these days. It's running Brilliant Corners and has been a great learning tool for Android. I may start using that one as a test bench / learning platform to dig deeper in the tweaking world.
Thanks.
KonRad

if you want to use a ps3 / xbox controller on pretty much ANY game then you need sixaxis app or other which has TOUCH EMULATIOn so all onscreen button can be assigned to physical pad buttons

i.e. get modern combat 4 working with ps3 controller WIRELESSLY
GOT RID OF: Gepad e10 7"inch green led also known as shyle 7inch wonder media via 8650, the build " generic -eng.2 froyo ver1.5.3-20110819.112300. And the kernel is 2.6.32.9-default

Brand new Ainol Novo 7 Paladin black running 4.0.1 android os.

Also have non rooted 7inch wifi htc flyer running 3.2 android os, with sense etc.

And finally best comes to last.. the zenithink c71 7inch n version and running 1206 update from zenithink website

#3 KonRad

KonRad

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

if you want to use a ps3 / xbox controller on pretty much ANY game then you need sixaxis app or other which has TOUCH EMULATIOn so all onscreen button can be assigned to physical pad buttons

i.e. get modern combat 4 working with ps3 controller WIRELESSLY

Thanks for the info. Not a gamer so no benefit on that front. I guess it'll stay stock until some need pops up. I like simple. :)
KonRad

#4 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Best not to root unless you have to.

People root their tablets because:
a] have to change build.prop for better Market listing.
b] to remove Chinese apps
c] a certain app may require it (ie. backup programs)

Nexus 7 should not be affected by a] & b] above. Only time to root with Nexus 7 is with c]. Also, rooting disables Google movies app from working.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#5 Kelvin H.

Kelvin H.

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

When I was still on the stock ROM, the reason I rooted my Nexus 7 was because I wanted root-access apps. For example:
  • AdAway - Removes ads from websites.
  • Stickmount - Enables OTG, connect flash drives to your device.
  • TitaniumBackup - Backup all my apps in case something was to go wrong.
If you don't have a reason to root, just leave the tablet as it is until you find one. :)
Google Nexus 7 16GB
CPU: 1.3GHz (4 Cores) → 1.6GHz (2 Cores)
GPU: 416MHz → 520MHz
ROM: ParanoidAndroid 2.54
Kernel: motley #249

#6 ba1nawq

ba1nawq

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

You should root your N7 and then experiment with all the ROMs that are available out there. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 comes with a really good default ROM from Google but I've been using it for a couple of months now and I got bored. I said, what the heck, I bought the droid because I'd like to customize it the way I want. For anything else, you have the iPads..

I setup some goals, that I will flash my Nexus 7 and try a different ROM each month. The first one which I used was the CM9.1 I think and now I'm trying out AOKP, to see if it's anywhere near the CM.

Like I said, you bought and Android device so you should experiment with it. ;)

#7 vamsix

vamsix

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

hi all i want to root with one software for all android phone and tablet .it there any about it ?......?????

#8 Rodax

Rodax

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

Definitely root it, I held off for about 5 months until I gave in and theres a huge responsiveness difference to be had. I really don't know how to quantify it outside of saying it is significant and immediately noticeable. For twenty minutes of work, its time well spent. I'm running SmoothRom with the "Bricked" Kernal at 1.6GHZ on my N7 atm.

If you have any questions about step by step instructions and so forth feel free to shoot me a message.

Edited by Rodax, 10 March 2013 - 05:35 AM.

Nexus 7 - SmoothROM, 1.6GHZ OC
Ainol Novo 9 - CM10 Beta by CT, IPX IPEX Wifi Antenna swap, Backplate mod

#9 KonRad

KonRad

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

Definitely root it, I held off for about 5 months until I gave in and theres a huge responsiveness difference to be had. I really don't know how to quantify it outside of saying it is significant and immediately noticeable. For twenty minutes of work, its time well spent. I'm running SmoothRom with the "Bricked" Kernal at 1.6GHZ on my N7 atm.

If you have any questions about step by step instructions and so forth feel free to shoot me a message.

I'm still running stock but like the idea of Root. Problem at this time is that I've pretty well got the tab set up with all (a ton) of apps I like/need. I hate the idea of tossing that all away and having to reinstall everything. Catch 22 here: I need to do a full system back up before rooting but can't do the back up Until it's rooted... Suggestions?

#10 Rodax

Rodax

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

As far as I know I think you are stuck with losing all your apps and data until root unfortunately. I'm no expert on that matter so if anyone else could chime in with more info that would appreciated. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Nexus 7 - SmoothROM, 1.6GHZ OC
Ainol Novo 9 - CM10 Beta by CT, IPX IPEX Wifi Antenna swap, Backplate mod

#11 20LEgend20

20LEgend20

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

I have the same concerns

#12 john99

john99

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

You should root only when someone ports Samsung Galaxy roms with multiwindow support to our N7. I m waiting for that day to come before rooting my own N7 tablet which I am using for last 10 months.
One of the big disadvantage of custom roms are there always some bugs. :D:D:DB)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

#13 jesusthekiller

jesusthekiller

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

I've rooted mine and installed Multiboot, pretty happy wint my Ubuntu and Androind at the same time :D

#14 sukanime

sukanime

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

I just got Nexus 7, i just upgrade to Nakasi JWR66Y and put TWRP and of course SuperSU.

My Purpose for Root is:
- ES Task Manager, i can disable a lot of un used startup apps, so i can boot faster.
- ES File Explorer, i can backup APK.
- Titanium Backup PRO, i can save all the setting of my installed apps, so i don't need to re configure if i re flash the ROM.

This Nexus 7 + JB + MX Player, can play Anime Hi10p smoothly, and the OS is so Smooth.
Battery life is wonderfull, no overheat when play game like in my Ainol.
I Will sell my Ainol Tablet, it's not worthed anymore to keep it.
Ainol Novo7 Aurora I + Custom ROM CM9 = SoC Allwinner A10 SingleCore Cortex A8 + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS ( already sold it )
Ainol Novo7 Aurora II + Official ROM 0626 = SoC Amlogic 8726-MX DualCore Cortex A9 + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS ( using it now )
Asus Google Nexus 7 16GB WiFi + Official ROM Nakasi JWR66Y = SoC Tegra 3 Quad Core @1,2Ghz + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS Coring Glass ( using it now )

#15 Klatu

Klatu

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm waiting for a nexus 7, and i root it, because i want execute all apps, like in my ainol fire.

#16 dlorinema

dlorinema

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

I own 5 android devices and i rooted them all... more freedom.

#17 Mugga

Mugga

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

I think for heavy users it's vital to root your android device. To be able to flash custom roms and really do what you wanna do with your device is just awesome. I already tested IOS and Windows Phone devices, but for me android is the way to go.