• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hi, battery life is about on par for 3200 mah actually imho,, its ok but not great as any smart phone while not using wifi disable it at night while sleeping , it saves the trickle drain , the good is that u can still use the tablet while on charger, some u can not ,, as for the battery calibration i see no biggie there ,, weird but no biggie , the other stuff u mentioned warrants a return imho ,, as for removing the back cover i just simply popped it off starting from the usb side corners and worked it around , it unsnapps sort of like a samsung galaxy s phone cover backing , lol and it snaps right back in along the edges around the whole unit , i have removed it several times with not issues, i like that about it

cross your fingers i ordered 4700 mah batteries , i had to order 6 of them and they are custom made ones for the dimensions i have for this tablet ,, it is about all the battery u can squeeze in there i hope its not too thick but i see a little play room according to my measurements ;) i cant wait till the batteries arrive im hoping this will blow the doors off of the nexus7 and ipad battery life

also popped open a few of my old cell phones and found a small speaker that will work as a secondary ,, there is a empty spot to add another speaker on the circuit board btw ,, or u could just tie into the existing speaker , im not really concerend here just experimenting and hopefully making it one of the best 7 inch tablets, it has so much potential as compared to all the others i have had in its class, that is why im spending my money and time on bigger batteries and such ;) i love the feel and size format of this tablet ,, the weight is so light compared to others and size is small as compared to some others and the screen is so nice and crisp as compared to others ,, for me its perfect for its class , just concerns me that u have issues that i dont ,, and i am going to purchase another one as soon as it is in stock again

Thanks for the info, managed it in the end. I seem to have fixed my microphone issue! After locating it at the back side of the board next to the headphone jack, I simply tweaked it around a bunch while recoding to see the input level. At one point it went right down to no input at all. I checked the recording and it had indeed been fixed!

Now my only worry is that it will develop the problem again, rather soon in fact because I couldn't actually see the microphone physically move but I must have been doing something!

Good luck with the battery thing. I wish I knew how to solder. I also wish I had a soldering iron actually, I'd probably be stupid enough to give it a go even though I've never done it before. Sort of like trying to fix the microphone :D

Red arrow points to location of mic if anyone else needs to try this:

Posted Image

Oh and it should be noted that it still has VERY minor weird sounds when charging still but it's almost inaudible.

Managed to film my video issue:
http://www.youtube.c...bed/ok0AxCTM11U

It's pretty rare so I'm willing to live with it, I just hope it doesn't get any worse.

It doesn't seem like a hardware problem because it only happens when in a browser and when typing. Also notice it only happens when the suggestion box changes. Weird.

Edited by cacoe, 14 January 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#42 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

well if the battery works out , i will make it where u can just snip the wires on you old battery pry it out and simply install the new one btw twisting the wires together and put a little electrical tape to cover or put a heat shrink tubing ,, glad u got the mic, sorted , probably just a joint lose,, when my batteries get here i will see if i can find the mic and see where to fix it for u easily ,, pretty clean looking board imho,, im glad u did open yours , at least i know now that they do a great soldering job on most of the circuit board, so at least ployer is trying to produce quality vs. prices ,, will let u know as soon as my batteries ship

#43 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

well if the battery works out , i will make it where u can just snip the wires on you old battery pry it out and simply install the new one btw twisting the wires together and put a little electrical tape to cover or put a heat shrink tubing ,, glad u got the mic, sorted , probably just a joint lose,, when my batteries get here i will see if i can find the mic and see where to fix it for u easily ,, pretty clean looking board imho,, im glad u did open yours , at least i know now that they do a great soldering job on most of the circuit board, so at least ployer is trying to produce quality vs. prices ,, will let u know as soon as my batteries ship

Where did you order custom batteries from anyways? :S

If it works out, is there any chance of buying one off you please? Do you think electrical tape is good enough to secure the wires vs soldering?

#44 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Where did you order custom batteries from anyways? :S

If it works out, is there any chance of buying one off you please? Do you think electrical tape is good enough to secure the wires vs soldering?

i made a special made battery at batteryspace.com i ordered 6 to get the price down and yes i will offer them to whoever wants one and u first of course , i wanted to use all the space i could and go about 2 mm thicker than the one in there is almost 4mm ,, i went with a 5.5 mm thick one and a little longer to cram 4750 mah in there, lol we will see ,, he said it will take a few weeks , i also had him install pcb on them and the wires so it is basically plug and play and safe as well ;)

#45 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

i made a special made battery at batteryspace.com i ordered 6 to get the price down and yes i will offer them to whoever wants one and u first of course , i wanted to use all the space i could and go about 2 mm thicker than the one in there is almost 4mm ,, i went with a 5.5 mm thick one and a little longer to cram 4750 mah in there, lol we will see ,, he said it will take a few weeks , i also had him install pcb on them and the wires so it is basically plug and play and safe as well ;)

Sounds great, I hope it turns out well. Maybe PM me about price and postage, I'm in the UK, not sure where you're from.

You don't happen to know where to get a compatible charger do you? Mine is making a high pitch squeal all the time, it doesn't oscillate, it really screams all over the place. I've read that this can mean that the transformer is ready to die. I wonder if it can also interfere with proper charging.

#46 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

sure dealextreme.com should have one but ########### will have a cheap one

on another note, we found after adding the pcb and wire the battery pack was too long it was 99 mm long and that is not acceptable so i had to go with a shore one by 94 but add thicknees by 1 as well so we are thinking i will be 4300 to 4400 nah , which will still prove to be much more run time , besides these will be better batteries and safer and from what im told even a 3200 mah made by my guys would have more run time than the cheaper made ones we have in our units, we will see as soon as they arrive ;)

sound like u got a bunch of little problems with your tablet , that sucks ,, i dont have charging sounds either ,, maybe a new battery is what u need, lol btw im in the USA , i have mailed to the UK many times, i am a watchsmith by trade so over the years i have had many customers there , shipping shouldnt be too pricey there

#47 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

sure dealextreme.com should have one but ########### will have a cheap one

on another note, we found after adding the pcb and wire the battery pack was too long it was 99 mm long and that is not acceptable so i had to go with a shore one by 94 but add thicknees by 1 as well so we are thinking i will be 4300 to 4400 nah , which will still prove to be much more run time , besides these will be better batteries and safer and from what im told even a 3200 mah made by my guys would have more run time than the cheaper made ones we have in our units, we will see as soon as they arrive ;)

sound like u got a bunch of little problems with your tablet , that sucks ,, i dont have charging sounds either ,, maybe a new battery is what u need, lol btw im in the USA , i have mailed to the UK many times, i am a watchsmith by trade so over the years i have had many customers there , shipping shouldnt be too pricey there

Sounds good, is that a message the battery people sent you?

Here's a video on how to open the back casing I made too. As this seems to be the main thread for the momo7 talent, I suppose I'll post it here. Wonder why it doesn't have it's own section?!

I decided to un-root my tablet. I was having the same issues as you, constant lagging. It's fine now. I managed to remove all the Chinese stuff with ADB and found an editor that can edit Build.prop without rooting.

To be honest, I'm quite happy without root if I can do these simple things!

You know what, the battery issue doesn't seem as bad without rooting either. I'll have to post back after more time.

Edited by cacoe, 15 January 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#48 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

yeh the battery isnt bad but it isnt up to par with nexus7 or my ipad im trying to get 7 hours out of it and i think it can with the new battery, i will post back when i get them

#49 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

yeh the battery isnt bad but it isnt up to par with nexus7 or my ipad im trying to get 7 hours out of it and i think it can with the new battery, i will post back when i get them

I think I could definitely use one of those batteries actually. Just finished testing it with light usage, installing a few apps, browsing and stuff. Had the backlight on full too and it lasted around 4:30 hours. Granted I could possibly get the quoted "6 hours browsing/movies" with a lower light but still it isn't stellar. I'm sure you could probably get at least 8-9 hours out of one of those custom batteries :D

#50 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

yeh that is why im doing it , this tablet is just as good to me its better than the nexus 7 , mainly, its just as fast and it is more compact but screen is same size, and its not as heavy in my hand , that is the main reason for the new battery ;) i hope 9 hours, that would be awesome , lol

i actually dont get 4.30 hours out of my tablet if running full blast with the screen on and wifi at best maybe 4 hours but probably more like 3.30 imho , so yours is a little better than mine

#51 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

yeh that is why im doing it , this tablet is just as good to me its better than the nexus 7 , mainly, its just as fast and it is more compact but screen is same size, and its not as heavy in my hand , that is the main reason for the new battery ;) i hope 9 hours, that would be awesome , lol

i actually dont get 4.30 hours out of my tablet if running full blast with the screen on and wifi at best maybe 4 hours but probably more like 3.30 imho , so yours is a little better than mine

I figured out a way to root it without all the lag and weirdness by the way.

Google "root many android by bin4ry"

This method doesn't usually work because it can't find the device. You can root by using method 1 on it's menu.

All you have to do is go to your windows user folder and create a folder called .android. Inside, create file called adb_usb.ini and enter the following into it (or just add this line if it's already there)
0x2207

Open a cmd window and type "adb kill-server"

It might respond with "unrecognsed command" but it's just in case you already installed the Android SDK and already have the service running for any reason.

And then run the batch file like usual.

I haven't tested for long but it seems as silky smooth as with the stock rom unmodified. I'll try it for longer, I'll post back later tomorrow if it causes real issues.

I have a feeling that the Chinese app we used previously might have messed up permissions or have even contained something malicious!

Edited by cacoe, 16 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#52 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

i have not rooted my tablet or any before , can u walk me step by step and first things first please, ,, i went to the root many android and dowloaded the first things says click here ,, but then i read on and there is so many updates to it, which is which and what works ? , lmk thanks

#53 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

BTW, I thought you'd already done this so that's why I'm talking as though you tried it before! (it was actually DMNT)

Ok this is Windows only (don't forget to enable debug mode on your tablet!):

0 ) Get the ADB drivers. The app you previously used called Moborobo should do this fine, it's safe to remove the app after this process. If you're running Windows x64, you will need to disable driver signing on startup. Easy to find how on Google. Use Moborobo to install your tablet driver and uninstall Moborobo from your PC after, because it's useless at this point (the driver should stay installed so I assume you already have it from the previous root attempt.)
1 ) Get the latest "root many android by bin4ry" via google (Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18 at the moment)
2 ) On your PC, open "Computer" > your windows drive > Users > Your User Folder
3 ) Create a folder called ".android"
4 ) Create a new text document named "adb_usb.ini" in ".android"
5 ) Enter this line into adb_usb.ini and save: 0x2207
5a ) If the file I told you to create is already there, simply add 0x2207
6 ) Open a cmd prompt as admin and type adb kill-server (just in case any old instances of adb are running)
7 ) Plug in your tablet
8 ) Extract Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18 and run "RunMe.bat"
9 ) Select option 1

And that's it, just follow the on screen instructions. You don't need to use option 2 or anything special, it works just fine on normal. T

Just make sure you don't unplug or anything during the process! There's a few points while the app is rooting that nothing seems to happen, just be patient. Having said that, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes after choosing option 1 in RunMe.bat

At one point of the process, you have to click something on the MOMO so don't leave during the process.

I imagine this same rooting process works on practically any RK3066 device, it just doesn't work normally because most people don't know that they need to (and neither did I) add that line to adb_usb.ini for this particular binary of ADB to recognize my tab :)

Test the root with root checker from the store now.

Any troubles, just ask :pardon:

BTW, I've been using root for several hours using this method and I haven't had any performance problems at all. The freezing and stuff from the zahaoususu (or whatever that chinese app was called, I just mashed keys to be honest) app happened pretty much from the start for me, whereas this method shows no signs of problems.

Edited by cacoe, 17 January 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#54 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Another update, after rooting, it turns out this method of installing ClockWorkMod works!

http://www.slatedroi...873#entry506873

#55 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

#0 i never installed anything so what to do and where do i get this adb driver or do i already have it ? ok i did everything and found i had everything and just added the 0x2207 ,, now im confused on your #6 thing to do, i am running windows 7 x64 ,, please advise where i find this admin tool thanks

also i am running x64 what and where is disable signup startup?

Edited by madi05, 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#56 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

#0 i never installed anything so what to do and where do i get this adb driver or do i already have it ? ok i did everything and found i had everything and just added the 0x2207 ,, now im confused on your #6 thing to do, i am running windows 7 x64 ,, please advise where i find this admin tool thanks

also i am running x64 what and where is disable signup startup?

Actually, thinking about it, I think that's only needed if you're reverting the ROM back to the stock rom. The ADB driver should work without this so no worries ;)

On #6 if nothing happens, it doesn't matter. It's just in case you installed something else previously. If it throws up an error, there's no problem, just carry on (if you haven't installed the Android SDK then this step doesn't matter. Might not matter even if you have, it's just in case) :good:

Btw, if it fails, it should still be fine, it won't break anything as such, it'll just be annoying that it didn't work! Even after rooting, you can still get back to stock with recovery.

I imagine the next thing you'll want to do after rooting is install CWM 8)

Edit - I've been confusing myself!

Yes step 0 is required. You just have to install >>> http://www.moborobo.com/ <<< this app on windows so that your device has the driver installed. Do everything else like I said after this. (you can skip step 6)

Moborobo is easy to use, you just install it like any other windows app and it should automatically install your tablet driver.

Debugging mode is on your tablet in settings > Developer options > USB Debugging. Do that first before everything else :)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
For anyone else interested, I had fairly good results from using Pimp My Rom >>> https://play.google....XAubXkucm9tIl0. <<<

Just don't install any of the extra apps you can install with it, it messed up my audio (would stop playing audio at random and start crashing). I had to go back to the stock firmware, re-root and install CWM again. After that, I actually remembered to make a Nandroid backup :rolleyes:

Certain internet tweaks actually seemed detrimental to performance too, as did video accelerated 2D. I didn't play with any of the kernel stuff or dalvik (I think it's fine as it is) but it added a couple hundred points on to my AnTuTu Benchmark score. Nothing incredible but a nice boost.

Battery life doesn't really seem impacted even after calibration.

Some launchers seem to run a bit laggy to be honest too. Either Apex or Nova (can't remember which one) was one of them. Go Launcher HD works great, it doesn't seem to have many features yet but I'd give it a try, I've got a great minimal setup at the moment. Launcher Pro ran terribly.

Next Launcher 3D and Regina 3D run fantastically but I can't stand their aesthetic so I'll pass :)

Espier (an iOS springboard clone) ran like butter if you're into that sort of thing.

On another note, I found this tablet way too bright on minimal settings to use in bed. To compensate for this, I used an app called "root dim", free from the play store. The screen doesn't function correctly when set to 1 (must be a voltage thing or something) but it works great when set to 2 (that's 2 out of 255 levels of backlight brightness) so I made a custom setting and pinned that to my launcher page. Easy handy access to a very low light screen now :)

Edited by cacoe, 18 January 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#57 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

i have not rooted my tablet or any before , can u walk me step by step and first things first please, ,, i went to the root many android and dowloaded the first things says click here ,, but then i read on and there is so many updates to it, which is which and what works ? , lmk thanks

By the way, have you tried removing the original battery at any point? I'm not sure but I think it might be glued on...

Edited by cacoe, 18 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#58 EvilB

EvilB

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

By the way, have you tried removing the original battery at any point? I'm not sure but I think it might be glued on...

Just wanted to say thanks for the info in this thread. I bought a momo7 for my daughter at christmas, then when I saw how good it was, got the momo 7 talent shipped directly from chinda (only 3days!).

I've since rooted it using Moborobo to get the adb drivers, and then ZhuoDaShi.
I did then start to notice lags when touching the screen (although never when playing games), so I re-rooted using the method above, and it seems much better.

I'd also be interested in one of these larger batteries if it works out. (Am in the UK).

Thanks again!

JUST AS AN UPDATE:- Could you confirm how you got CWM onto the momo 7 talent ?
I've downloaded all the files I need, and generated my 'parameter file'.

I just can't seem to get the tablet to boot into the right mode.
I've tried:-

Power off tablet then:-

1) Holding down power again and plugging in USB - tablet stays off (held it like this for ages, nothing happens)
2) Holding down 'VOL +' and plugging in USB - tablet just boots up as normal and then adb drivers kick in.
3) Holding down 'VOL -' and plugging in USB - tablet boots into safe mode.

How do I get it into flash mode to install the RK30 drivers ?

Edited by EvilB, 19 January 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#59 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the info in this thread. I bought a momo7 for my daughter at christmas, then when I saw how good it was, got the momo 7 talent shipped directly from chinda (only 3days!).

I've since rooted it using Moborobo to get the adb drivers, and then ZhuoDaShi.
I did then start to notice lags when touching the screen (although never when playing games), so I re-rooted using the method above, and it seems much better.

I'd also be interested in one of these larger batteries if it works out. (Am in the UK).

Thanks again!

JUST AS AN UPDATE:- Could you confirm how you got CWM onto the momo 7 talent ?
I've downloaded all the files I need, and generated my 'parameter file'.

I just can't seem to get the tablet to boot into the right mode.
I've tried:-

Power off tablet then:-

1) Holding down power again and plugging in USB - tablet stays off (held it like this for ages, nothing happens)
2) Holding down 'VOL +' and plugging in USB - tablet just boots up as normal and then adb drivers kick in.
3) Holding down 'VOL -' and plugging in USB - tablet boots into safe mode.

How do I get it into flash mode to install the RK30 drivers ?

It should be poweron and VOL + at the same time, it's a bit annoying as it doesn't seem to enter recovery consistently with the combo until you install CWM. Open device manager and keep an eye out for whats going on while you do it.

The correct drivers can be found with any RKbatchtool package. (I used the Pipos as they have the english version, just google for pipo firmware)

If you're using windows vista/7/8 x64, you need to disable driver signing to get that driver to load though.

If you're using vista/7, press F8 before the windows logo shows during boot and choose:
http://crystalmark.info/vista/images/enDeviceDriver.png

Like that and proceed like I said.

To access the same menu on windows 8 x64, goto the charms bar, click settings, change pc settings, general, advanced startup, restart now, troubleshoot, advanced startup settings.

They really made windows 8 easy to use right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you restart your pc after this, driver signing will be turned back on. This means you'll have to specifically disable driver signing whenever you're tinkering with your tablet. (except for anything that requires ADB, that's signed already)

Btw, glad to see someone found this info useful. It took me ages to figure some of this stuff out, as basic as it is!

Edited by cacoe, 19 January 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#60 Sir Jaxxy

Sir Jaxxy

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have been trying to install CWM using the method you linked to on my Momo7 Speed, after I successfully root. I get through all of the CWM steps righ till the end. At that point my tablet never reboots and seems to get locked into Flashmode. No matter what I do I can not get it to reboot. I have tried holding the power button for as long as 2 minutes and nothing happens. Only way to get my tablet functional again is to go into RKBatchTool and re-flash the firmware :( Any idea what might be going wrong?

Being new I am also not sure what exactly the benifits of installing CWM are. Can someone explain those.

Lastly, can flashing the tablet to many times damage it in any way?

Thanks
Sir Jaxxy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users