140 replies to this topic

#21 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I've rooted it, the goal is ultimately changed the build.prop to galaxy note 1,
Root using zhuodashi didn;t work for me, it doesn;t detect the tablet at all, but plug in ainol aurora2 detected. Seems usb driver is missing/install but not completed/can;t be found.

I try other tablet root method, using combination of chn app called Shodpea something (sorry forgot the name) that app install USB driver and basically an appstore and itunes like app.
After that app installation, I can run both zhuodashi or Shuame (thiese two root app looks almost the same) and it will detect tablet, afterward just click the icon with root android, restart tablet, and you will have root + this 2 chinese app from shuame/zhuodashi. This can be replaced by SuperSU rom market, then uninztall this 2 chinese app using titanium backup.

Do install SuperSU or superuser first before unintalling chinese app, if you dont you will loose root access.
Now, the problem... I felt mine frequently freezing after rooting, esp. when opening Setting menu and App menu, it will just freeze not responding to touch, it will resolved by itself 20-30sec later, but annoying and made tablet felt slow and unreliable.
I dont know this comes from because of rooting or because I uninstall/cleaned almost all chinese apps using titanium backup. Maybe some of these chinese app is needed, maybe... not sure.
I manage to edit build.prop to note 1, but market didn;t seem shows any difference, I still cannot download Chrome.

I'm currently thinkgin about to reverting it back by flashing original rom downloaded from ployer.cn

Hang on... you can't install chrome by default?! I was going to buy this tomorrow. Just how limited is the Google Play on this device? Have you trying spoofing it as a Nexus 7?

edit - Try deleting data for all your google apps (or the relevant one if you know which it should be!) The play store apparently reads build.prop the first time when you log in, then checks out it's data (cache) after the first time.

Clear it and it should check build.prop again and then think you're using a different device :)

As for potential stability via removing the Chinese stuff, maybe try restoring to the default ROM, rooting and then disabling apps via app management rather than deleting them and see if that helps any? That should help determine whether it's the rooting or the removal of the apps that is causing the issues.

By the way, you don't happen to know if it's possible to do a full device backup (ala nandroid style) by using rkbatchtool do you?

By the way are you using Windows 7/8 x64? If so, the drivers are likely not working because they are unsigned. You need to disable driver signing checks to manually install the rk30xx device driver. Had the same issue with my partners Pipo S1.

Edited by cacoe, 02 January 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#22 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Has anyone in the US ordered this through AliExpress? I am looking to get either this one or the original Momo7. I just wish the Talent had dual webcams. But with only a .3mp I am leaning more towards the normal/original Momo7.

This will be my first time to import and I am trying to find out how the Custom duties work and about how much to expect to pay.

yep NC guy here, i think i am the first one with this one ,, i love it still, to date, the cameras on all of them are not great ,, and frankly a camera for the backside of a tablet is for what purpose/ just my two cents, i think the talent is better than the regular i just cant get over the off centered screen of the regular momo7 ,, if u read my first post i have had a couple of promising tablets that just didnt deliver, like this one does ,, it runs smoothly , downloads apps easily and fast and most of all the wifi is awesome ,, all over my home i get a signal where as the others failed greatly which imho a big plus ,,, it is also a good looking tablet ,, if u live near me u are welcomed to play with it before u buy , lmk

i think i have disabled just about all the goofy chinese apps where they dont bother me any longer, i feel until there is a stable root for this tablet we shouldnt fix something that isnt really broke ;) i run mozilla firefox app and it runs just like my laptop , i am happy and have some security while surfing the internet, my battery life is really good as compared to the other small tablets i had before, i would say it is on par with 4 to 6 days with very little use basically use it before bed time ,, and then my kids blow it up on games for at least 4 to 5 hours before it gets near dead ,, its a keep imho

#23 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

btw, yes u can get google chrome to phone app install just fine ;)

#24 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

oops i just checked u mean chrome the browser like my firefox ? yes it says it is not compatible with this phone or tablet or something like that but the app store is just like my samsung phone ,, so im not sure why it says that ,, weird but no deal breaker because i dont use it personally

#25 dmnt

dmnt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Yeah, chrome browser not compatible, there were quite a few games esp. gameloft new one also not available, ex. wild blood, or avenger initiative.

Haven't tried spoofing to N7, I figured it will just be messed up, N7 is using Tegra, and Talent is using Mali400, spoofing to one of the Samsung Exynos based device which also using Mali400 should be safer in term of likeness/compatibility.

Tried remove account, re-add, clear cache, even reset factory, didn;t seem to make any diff with changed build.prop.

Using windows 7, tried manual install RK30 driver, but didn;t install correctly, installing that Chinese shoepod app do the trick.
nandroid, no idea, didn;t even know how to boot to recovery mode on this thing.

Hang on... you can't install chrome by default?! I was going to buy this tomorrow. Just how limited is the Google Play on this device? Have you trying spoofing it as a Nexus 7?

edit - Try deleting data for all your google apps (or the relevant one if you know which it should be!) The play store apparently reads build.prop the first time when you log in, then checks out it's data (cache) after the first time.

Clear it and it should check build.prop again and then think you're using a different device :)

As for potential stability via removing the Chinese stuff, maybe try restoring to the default ROM, rooting and then disabling apps via app management rather than deleting them and see if that helps any? That should help determine whether it's the rooting or the removal of the apps that is causing the issues.

By the way, you don't happen to know if it's possible to do a full device backup (ala nandroid style) by using rkbatchtool do you?

By the way are you using Windows 7/8 x64? If so, the drivers are likely not working because they are unsigned. You need to disable driver signing checks to manually install the rk30xx device driver. Had the same issue with my partners Pipo S1.

#26 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

please let us know when u having it actually like it should and remember the steps for us ;) thanks

#27 dmnt

dmnt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

I'am going to be brave and reflash this thing with rom from ployer.cn, it's newer by 2 days compare to shipped one.
Will be loosing root.
But atm, 2 compeling reason to root for me is, change build.prop so market showing more apps, and remove all Chinese apps that might consume resources.
if build.prop failed, but the negative effect is frequent hung and slow tablet, I think I ca live with few Chinese apps here and there.

Will report back after reflash.

Btw, anyone notice the accelerometer/gravity sensor is not calibrated properly?
Tested only in nfs most wanted, lay tablet flat, car will steer to the right all the time, didn't find any android settings menu to calibrate it, no menu to calibrate in game.

Edited by dmnt, 03 January 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#28 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'am going to be brave and reflash this thing with rom from ployer.cn, it's newer by 2 days compare to shipped one.
Will be loosing root.
But atm, 2 compeling reason to root for me is, change build.prop so market showing more apps, and remove all Chinese apps that might consume resources.
if build.prop failed, but the negative effect is frequent hung and slow tablet, I think I ca live with few Chinese apps here and there.

Will report back after reflash.

Btw, anyone notice the accelerometer/gravity sensor is not calibrated properly?
Tested only in nfs most wanted, lay tablet flat, car will steer to the right all the time, didn't find any android settings menu to calibrate it, no menu to calibrate in game.

I'd be careful with that firmware, I can't seem to complete it fully. It fails around 1.5mb before completing, and no matter what browser I download it with too!

I've tried several times now.

#29 dmnt

dmnt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

I'd be careful with that firmware, I can't seem to complete it fully. It fails around 1.5mb before completing, and no matter what browser I download it with too!

I've tried several times now.

download it with download manager, I used DAP.
Rom works, minus just minor hiccup, after flashing, internal nand storage reported as being damaged and need format, cannot be mounted, after several reboot it finally offer me a choice to format it, after format everything is fine now, fast.

I just noticed that I can just disable the Chinese apps from android built in App menu, beauty of Jelly bean :) so I just disable everything.
Chrome / all other app that shows incompatible apk can be found on google anywhere else anyway, in the end root is just not much benefit to me, considering the weird side effects (frequent freezes).

#30 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

i dont understand what u did, what is DAP and how do u use it? is it an app in the store ? do i just install it / and then what ,, which i dont have real problems ,, the games work great, i run firefox and it run great ,, why is chrome better , i thought firefox was better protection etc>

#31 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

i dont understand what u did, what is DAP and how do u use it? is it an app in the store ? do i just install it / and then what ,, which i dont have real problems ,, the games work great, i run firefox and it run great ,, why is chrome better , i thought firefox was better protection etc>

my concern was that chrome was listed incompatible at all. if you get the apk from elsewhere, it works fine. there are quite a few apps which work but are listed as incompatible! take the Wikipedia app for example. it's really basic but it's listed as incompatible. that's another app that's fine if you get the apk from elsewhere. I don't get it

#32 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

yeh i dont get why some dont work either, but all that matter for me are great and web browsing is great and youtube and games i like are good and to be honest i dont use the two u mentioned, but i dont understand why ? they are all the same i have had many tablets with 4.1 and as i can recall this one has it all but those few apps but this one has a great design as compared , so for me it is a keeper ,, btw if you all were wondering i had to take mine apart because my little boy wanted to stick a toothpick in the power supply hole and i couldnt get it out so i took it apart and i got it out and it all works fine but i found that the battery is not 4000 mah it is 3200 here are some pics i took for u guys to see

IM GOOD WITH SOLDERING I WONDER IF U GUYS CAN FIND ME A BIGGER BETTER BATTERY FOR A GOOD PRICE I CAN SWAP OUT TO SEE IF IT GIVES ME MORE JUICE AND A LOUDER SPEAKER , LMK WHAT U COME UP WITH, I WILL BE ON THE HUNT AS WELL TO MAKE THIS THINK ROCK EVEN BETTER, LOL

Attached Files

Edited by madi05, 11 January 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#33 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

yeh i dont get why some dont work either, but all that matter for me are great and web browsing is great and youtube and games i like are good and to be honest i dont use the two u mentioned, but i dont understand why ? they are all the same i have had many tablets with 4.1 and as i can recall this one has it all but those few apps but this one has a great design as compared , so for me it is a keeper ,, btw if you all were wondering i had to take mine apart because my little boy wanted to stick a toothpick in the power supply hole and i couldnt get it out so i took it apart and i got it out and it all works fine but i found that the battery is not 4000 mah it is 3200 here are some pics i took for u guys to see

IM GOOD WITH SOLDERING I WONDER IF U GUYS CAN FIND ME A BIGGER BETTER BATTERY FOR A GOOD PRICE I CAN SWAP OUT TO SEE IF IT GIVES ME MORE JUICE AND A LOUDER SPEAKER , LMK WHAT U COME UP WITH, I WILL BE ON THE HUNT AS WELL TO MAKE THIS THINK ROCK EVEN BETTER, LOL

can't help you with your question but seeing as youve managed to crack yours open, do you see anything inside that might cause the microphone to have a constant buzz no matter what you're doing? Also... where is the microphone? :-D

#34 dmnt

dmnt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

There were quite a few flaw in this tablet
1. batt life has been not great esp. with wfi on. as madi05 found they lied, not 4000 it's 3200.
2. uncalibrated accelerometer, permanently tilted to right.
3. touch sensor unsensitive at edges of screen, hard to tap anything precise on the edge, good example is closing tab on browser.
4. jumping touch sensor when you touch and hold one area for too long, in certain games this is an issue.
5. felt a bit slow in graphic intensive games even though it's supposed to be quad core gpu, 1.6GHz cpu, maybe it's because most of the time it never run 1.6 GHz unless in benchmark, in 3d games it runs max 1200, in non-3D at most 1.4 -download perfmon from market to check it.

This is my second tablet after Ainol aurora 2,
I must say I'll probably buy name-brand tablet the 3rd time.

Edited by dmnt, 12 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#35 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

1. batt life has been not great esp. with wfi on. as madi05 found they lied, not 4000 it's 3200.
3. touch sensor unsensitive at edges of screen, hard to tap anything precise on the edge, good example is closing tab on browser.
4. jumping touch sensor when you touch and hold one area for too long, in certain games this is an issue.
5. felt a bit slow in graphic intensive games even though it's supposed to be quad core gpu, 1.6GHz cpu, maybe it's because most of the time it never run 1.6 GHz unless in benchmark, in 3d games it runs max 1200, in non-3D at most 1.4 -download perfmon from market to check it.

Add to that my faulty microphone and now it seems that I'm getting some occasional video corruption. It's almost like tearing but it's been very rare so far and only when using the OSK. Hope it doesn't become a permanent feature :o

I can't really consistently reproduce it. It's usually:
-in any web browser
-usually when I'm typing
-when I'm charging it
-it's usually quite warm

I wonder if it's overheating? :o

Could also be a loose connection and does anyone else hear a high pitch buzzing when theirs is charging?

Also, I've tried everything under the sun to spoof a different device but it still has incompatible apps, even basic ones like groupon is listed as incompatible!

Edited by cacoe, 12 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#36 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

can't help you with your question but seeing as youve managed to crack yours open, do you see anything inside that might cause the microphone to have a constant buzz no matter what you're doing? Also... where is the microphone? :-D

im going to open it again soon i will look for u but please note my microphones work great , so it may be a quality control issue with your unit unfortunately

#37 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Add to that my faulty microphone and now it seems that I'm getting some occasional video corruption. It's almost like tearing but it's been very rare so far and only when using the OSK. Hope it doesn't become a permanent feature :o

I can't really consistently reproduce it. It's usually:
-in any web browser
-usually when I'm typing
-when I'm charging it
-it's usually quite warm

I wonder if it's overheating? :o

Could also be a loose connection and does anyone else hear a high pitch buzzing when theirs is charging?

Also, I've tried everything under the sun to spoof a different device but it still has incompatible apps, even basic ones like groupon is listed as incompatible!

i have none of the isssue u talk about , i found browsing and typing exceptional and on par with my ipad ,, no corruption and mine gets no warmer than my other tablets does when charging ,just warm to the touch ,now hot is dagerous !!!

#38 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

1. batt. life it on par and better than most tablets out right now but not 4000 mah like advertised but i think being its so easy to replace i can fix that to be like the nexus 7 imho
2.not experiencing any of this tilt problem , mine works flawless here , may be u should send back and get a replacement , that is a manufacture problem , it has a 1 year warranty btw
3.same answer to number2 mine is good here as well
4.same answer to number 2 mine works great i play and my kids play alot of jumping games and no problems with speed or jumps, i play that driving game and fish jumping game where u have to tilt the tablet to drive right to left lanes and it is works on point there and better than my ipad on that note ;)
5.i felt it does well here to , i think u got a bad one, i would send it back if having all these issues honestly ;) and get a replacement ,, tell me your build date and see if it matches mine in my picture ?

if u read about nexus 7 it has issues on case by case basis as well so im thinking u just got a bad one ,, my only complaint is battery not being as stated :(

i repeat Ployer Momo7 Talent is awesome tablet but the battery is not 4000 mah it is 3200 mah but im working on getting a 5000 mah to install in it and see if it can match my ipads 9 hours of time ;) lol

#39 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

1. batt. life it on par and better than most tablets out right now but not 4000 mah like advertised but i think being its so easy to replace i can fix that to be like the nexus 7 imho

I've been wondering about my battery life actually, how long does yours generally last on standby?

Mine has gone from 78% down to 21% within 9 hours over night. I killed all apps before leaving it. It seems like a lot of drain considering it was basically doing nothing!

So a compendium of things that seem to be wrong with my unit:

- Poor battery performance
- Only charges to 99% unless "battery calibration" is done every other day
- Rare but annoying corruption/tearing at total random (I can't attribute it to anything now)
- Buzzing over anything recorded via the microphone. Much louder when charging, almost seems like something is making contact with something else which it should not

Starting to think that I should get a replacement/refund but it turns out that my seller was a bit on the dodgy side. They were great pre-sales, responding to every message. As soon as I'd paid, I didn't get a single response to anything. They also claimed they'd refund postage if I returned it but it turns out it has to go back to china even though they'd seemed to be a french company.

Anyways, I might just have to claim the money back via paypal.

By the way, how can I remove the back casing? Does it just clip off? Does it go back on as well as before removing it?

edit - I managed to get the case off. Little screw under the port cover, then I used a bit of thin card to create a gap. Then it was a case of carefully unpopping clips the whole way around with a credit card.

Edited by cacoe, 14 January 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#40 madi05

madi05

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi, battery life is about on par for 3200 mah actually imho,, its ok but not great as any smart phone while not using wifi disable it at night while sleeping , it saves the trickle drain , the good is that u can still use the tablet while on charger, some u can not ,, as for the battery calibration i see no biggie there ,, weird but no biggie , the other stuff u mentioned warrants a return imho ,, as for removing the back cover i just simply popped it off starting from the usb side corners and worked it around , it unsnapps sort of like a samsung galaxy s phone cover backing , lol and it snaps right back in along the edges around the whole unit , i have removed it several times with not issues, i like that about it

cross your fingers i ordered 4700 mah batteries , i had to order 6 of them and they are custom made ones for the dimensions i have for this tablet ,, it is about all the battery u can squeeze in there i hope its not too thick but i see a little play room according to my measurements ;) i cant wait till the batteries arrive im hoping this will blow the doors off of the nexus7 and ipad battery life

also popped open a few of my old cell phones and found a small speaker that will work as a secondary ,, there is a empty spot to add another speaker on the circuit board btw ,, or u could just tie into the existing speaker , im not really concerend here just experimenting and hopefully making it one of the best 7 inch tablets, it has so much potential as compared to all the others i have had in its class, that is why im spending my money and time on bigger batteries and such ;) i love the feel and size format of this tablet ,, the weight is so light compared to others and size is small as compared to some others and the screen is so nice and crisp as compared to others ,, for me its perfect for its class , just concerns me that u have issues that i dont ,, and i am going to purchase another one as soon as it is in stock again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users