Photo

Pipo U1Pro - FWs, Root, CWM, Custom Roms etc.

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#1 myvision

myvision

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

LAST Modified: 16-03-2013

As the Pipo U1Pro reaches more and more people it's time to do a posting which will contain all what we've found out up to now.

Content:
1. About the Pipo U1Pro
2. Root
3. ClockworkMod Recovery
4. Custom ROMs
5. Tweaks and Fixes
6. Official Firmwares

------------------------------------

########################
1. About the Pipo U1Pro:
########################

++ For me best price-value
++ excellent IPS-Screen
++ HDMI-Out
++ external SD-Card up to 32GB, internal memory 16GB

-- buggy firmware
-- no charging via miniUSB
-- charger doesn't work for me very well (screen flickering and takes ages to charge)
-- WIFI is okay but not excellent
-- bad camera

Known "bugs":

1. Color banding
2. WiFi signal strenght is excellent but link speed drops dramatically with decreasing signal strength
3. Messed up battery management
4. Random freezes
5. Chrome cannot be updated properly
6. Tablet cannot be muted while connected with HDMI

Please do everything on your own risk.

########################
2. Root
########################

There are multiple ways to root your device.

--------------------------------------
1. Method: Root with Tasselhof-Script
--------------------------------------

One method which worked for me can be found here: http://www.androidtv...full=1#post6899
All credits go to the author. I'm just a translator.

Make sure your tablet is charged.

1. Start Pipo U1pro in USB-debugging mode and connect via the USBcable to your PC. (This can be done in settings developer settings)
2. Download PDAnet and install: http://junefabrics.c...id/download.php
3. Start Script of Tasselhoff: https://www.dropbox....l4v097/Root.zip
4. In Tasselhof:
- Check Tablet Connection
- If Tablet is recognized do point 2. and 3.
- If successful do 10.
- If Tablet is not recognized reinstall driver. There must be something like Android device or Android ADB interface and recheck tbalet connection in Tasselhof
5. Update SuperUser and BusyBox via GooglePlay
6. Reboot your Tablet
7. Tablet should be rooted. Verify with rootchecker
- If some apps are saying not rooted, uninstall Superuser, reinstall Superuser and update binary in Superuser

-------------------------------
2. Method: Root with Zhoudashi
-------------------------------

Thanks to user innocence07.

1. Instructions: http://wordpress.cyb...-Root-Guide.pdf
2. Drivers: http://www.mediafire...kqm2rzae7ef4ppl
3. ZhouDashi: static.opda.com/zhuodashi/ZhuoDaShi-2.2.9-setup.exe

##########################
3. ClockworkMod Recovery

CWM is finally possible. All credits go the authors:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2102679

CWM for Pipo U1Pro can found here:
http://androtab.info...ockchip/rk3066/

Instructions for installation:
http://androtab.info...ckchip/install/
http://www.flashmyan...0-2-7-(01-27-13

4. Custom ROMs

Decontaminated V3.1:
http://www.flashmyan...-V3-1-(01-27-13

1. DL and place desired ROM on internal storage.
2. Boot into recovery mode in CWM.
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Advanced>wipe davlik cache
5. Install zip from SD Card ( location of step 1 )
6. Reboot system once install returns to menu
6. Cross fingers, enjoy.

Thanks to kklown.

---------------------------

TNT (Top Notch Tablets) Release 1:
http://www.rockchipf...ckchip-firmware

See also here:
http://www.slatedroi...ware-release-1/

Thanks to Roman2025

----

If you can't boot into CWM from start please use a app like ROM-manager.

#########################
5. Tweaks and Fixes

Modified framewor.jar only for latest official ROM (build date 23-01-2013)
http://yadi.sk/d/aMWvge1c37A5I

- chrome-update will work
- bluetooth will work

Install with CWM.

Thanks to cmmike.

6. Official Firmwares

http://uploaded.net/f/xv0ln1

1st Option: Firmwares can be installed via RKBatchtool. Your device should show up when pressing ESC and Volume+ at the same time. If it will not show up try different combinations
2nd Option: Rename the file to "update.img." and put it on your SD-card. Maybe there will a popup ask you for updating.

At the moment there are different official firmwares available:

Remove your SD-Card when updating via RKBatchtool.

Please check the build date with RKBatchtool

------------------------------

Build Date: 23-01-2013
- english version

-----------------------------

Build Date: 16-01-2013
- chinese version

Build Date: 28-12-2012 (Firmware for Artes d712)

- Probably only modified Firmware for Artes d712
- Firmware for ARTES d712 http://www.artescorp...blet-d712b.aspx
- Bootlogo from artes d712
- No HDMI-Button
- Screenshot-Button in bar
- Changed logos

Build Date: 14-12-2012

- Chinese-Firmware
- No HDMI-Button

------------------------------

Build Date: 13-12-2012

+ new icons
+ Wifi-Improved (?)
+ Brightness improved
- HDMI-Button missing
- screenshot button in bar (non removable)

Build Date: 17-11-2012

GT318:
- Doesn't work on all PiPo U1Pro (no response of Touchscreen)
- No HDMI-Button
+ Improved WiFi
+ English-only
+ Overall good performance
+ new boot animation (linux penguins)
+ Chrome-Update works

CPT360:
- Tablet named as speedstar S (http://www.jeffries.uk.com/speedstar_s)
+ english only
+ Chrome-Update works
----------------------------

Build Date: 13-11-2012

+ HDMI-Button
+ Improved WIFI
+ screenshot button removable
+ Englisch only

---------------------------

Edited by myvision, 16 March 2013 - 11:38 AM.

• ronner likes this

#2 geofferyh

geofferyh

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Great information, should be a "Sticky" for sure.

Just a few comments about batteries and battery charging. Make sure you are using a charger capable of 5VDC 2A output. Screen "flickering" is usually a result of very low battery voltage. Turn the tablet completely "Off" before plugging the charger into the tablet.

Also, from a technical point of view, good battery life is related to "how you treat them." All tablets are now powered by L-ion and need to be "formed" when they are new and fresh. This means charge them up to at least 90% the first time. Let it rest (cool down). Charge it again for maybe an hour or two. Let it rest. If you do this, you will eventually reach 100% of charge. Now you can re-charge to 100% at each charging session. However, remember the cardinal rule of L-ion batteries, "try to not let it fall below 50% of charge to often". They do not like to "get real hot". And, that's what happens when you run them way down, then back to full charge in one charging session.

#3 myvision

myvision

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Great information, should be a "Sticky" for sure.

Just a few comments about batteries and battery charging. Make sure you are using a charger capable of 5VDC 2A output. Screen "flickering" is usually a result of very low battery voltage. Turn the tablet completely "Off" before plugging the charger into the tablet.

Also, from a technical point of view, good battery life is related to "how you treat them." All tablets are now powered by L-ion and need to be "formed" when they are new and fresh. This means charge them up to at least 90% the first time. Let it rest (cool down). Charge it again for maybe an hour or two. Let it rest. If you do this, you will eventually reach 100% of charge. Now you can re-charge to 100% at each charging session. However, remember the cardinal rule of L-ion batteries, "try to not let it fall below 50% of charge to often". They do not like to "get real hot". And, that's what happens when you run them way down, then back to full charge in one charging session.

Hey, thank you for your information.
I think it's the charger. As it says 2A and the battery is about 3700mAh it should be fully charged within 1 1/2h. But the charger is not delivering the 2A and it takes ages. As I'm charging it via USB (output 500mA) it comes to a fully charged battery within 4h which is reasonable.

I think the flickering comes from a bad cable coating as I noticed it at low and high state of charge. Also the battery management seems to be messed up. I will try a different charger as 3A or 4A should be fine as well as charging with 1C-Rate should be no problem for the battery. At the moment I have trouble finding the right pin for the tablet.

#4 Raspi

Raspi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hi myvision,

A great help to all of us with a Pipio U1pro. just what we have been waiting for.
Many thanks.

I will keep this bookmarked for updates as they come in.

Have a great Seasonal celebration.

Ras

#5 geofferyh

geofferyh

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hey, thank you for your information.
I think it's the charger. As it says 2A and the battery is about 3700mAh it should be fully charged within 1 1/2h. But the charger is not delivering the 2A and it takes ages. As I'm charging it via USB (output 500mA) it comes to a fully charged battery within 4h which is reasonable.

I think the flickering comes from a bad cable coating as I noticed it at low and high state of charge. Also the battery management seems to be messed up. I will try a different charger as 3A or 4A should be fine as well as charging with 1C-Rate should be no problem for the battery. At the moment I have trouble finding the right pin for the tablet.

New L-ion batteries are fully charged when they are fully charged, and it has nothing directly to do with time frames. Bad cable coating (insulation), really. You have a bad charger, damaged battery and/or you need to re-install your Android 4.1 software. You might want to rethink using a charger with an output rating greater than 2 amp. Like I have said, heat is the enemy of the L-ion battery and if you are able to charge at higher than 2 amps it will get hot and you may damage your battery.

#6 solomonella

solomonella

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I just received my replacement U1 Pro but I immediately noticed the absence of touch input on the left area of the screen. I tried calibrating and reflashing but the problem is still there..do you have any ideas what seems to be the problem,? is there a way to fix this or should i have it replaced again?

#7 Raspi

Raspi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I just received my replacement U1 Pro but I immediately noticed the absence of touch input on the left area of the screen. I tried calibrating and reflashing but the problem is still there..do you have any ideas what seems to be the problem,? is there a way to fix this or should i have it replaced again?

I would send it back, as it sounds like an internal hardware problem....maybe a cable out of it's connector or even a broken cable.

Rasp

#8 Raspi

Raspi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

New L-ion batteries are fully charged when they are fully charged, and it has nothing directly to do with time frames. Bad cable coating (insulation), really. You have a bad charger, damaged battery and/or you need to re-install your Android 4.1 software. You might want to rethink using a charger with an output rating greater than 2 amp. Like I have said, heat is the enemy of the L-ion battery and if you are able to charge at higher than 2 amps it will get hot and you may damage your battery.

I thought that like all the other Chinese tablets, that the batteries were Li-Polymer, not Li-Ion? I find Li-Ion very reliable, but so far I have found Li-Poly to be unreliable on my devices, failing to work reliably for more than a few months. Maybe we should find Li-Ion batteries to go in ther instead for reliability?

Rasp

#9 innocence07

innocence07

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

finally a thread for pipo u1 pro...original post(OP) kindly add that u can root pipo u1 pro with zhuodashi
the instruction on how My link
the driver if anyone needs it My link
thanks

#10 myvision

myvision

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

finally a thread for pipo u1 pro...original post(OP) kindly add that u can root pipo u1 pro with zhuodashi
the instruction on how My link
the driver if anyone needs it My link
thanks

Added! Thank you.

If anyone has some more information. Please comment in this thread.

#11 solomonella

solomonella

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

I already ported to the latest english fw from the pipo site..they went back to the previous icon design (although i think this is only for the english version) and there's no missing hdmi button which is a big plus from the chinese one. chinese apps are also removed just like the older english releases. i think wifi really improved although still not sure since my downloads seems to be faster and reception is almost always at full in areas where i previously got lower signals.

#12 myvision

myvision

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

I already ported to the latest english fw from the pipo site..they went back to the previous icon design (although i think this is only for the english version) and there's no missing hdmi button which is a big plus from the chinese one. chinese apps are also removed just like the older english releases. i think wifi really improved although still not sure since my downloads seems to be faster and reception is almost always at full in areas where i previously got lower signals.

Is this the version you have upgraded to? http://www.pipo.cn/E...jian_show&id=72
And what's the difference between the firmwares GT813 and CPT360?
Which date is it? Is it just the firmware of 17-12 withiut chinese apps or are there other improvments.

Thank you!

Edited by myvision, 25 December 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#13 solomonella

solomonella

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

i may have misspoken, its based on the 13-12 fw(update_DS778_PIPO(V1.5)_RK903_OV0308_OV2659_20121 213.img) only that its the english version. that's why the icons and hdmi function is still available :)

#14 myvision

myvision

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

i may have misspoken, its based on the 13-12 fw(update_DS778_PIPO(V1.5)_RK903_OV0308_OV2659_20121 213.img) only that its the english version. that's why the icons and hdmi function is still available :)

From which link have you got the FW from? Is it the same link I posted. When I follow this link it comes to two different versions GT813 or CPT360. It seems the uploaded date is 25-12-2012.

#15 myvision

myvision

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Okay there seems more versions than expected.

There is one English version of the version 17-12-2012 with improved settings.

There have been uploaded two versions english version on official PiPo page with todays date. try to find out more.

#16 solomonella

solomonella

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

i wonder what the differences are on those two latest firmwares from the Pipo site :huh:

#17 innocence07

innocence07

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

i wonder what the differences are on those two latest firmwares from the Pipo site :huh:

sir the files i've given you is the driver for rk3066 pls add this
static.opda.com/zhuodashi/ZhuoDaShi-2.2.9-setup.exe
the link is the zhuodashi itself(program for rotting) sorry i forgot to post it together with the instruction and driver file
kindly add thanks

oh before i forgot if u want another link for the english version without the chinese app (dated 2012-11-16) here is the link

Edited by innocence07, 26 December 2012 - 05:39 AM.

#18 myvision

myvision

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

sir the files i've given you is the driver for rk3066 pls add this
static.opda.com/zhuodashi/ZhuoDaShi-2.2.9-setup.exe
the link is the zhuodashi itself(program for rotting) sorry i forgot to post it together with the instruction and driver file
kindly add thanks

oh before i forgot if u want another link for the english version without the chinese app (dated 2012-11-16) here is the link

Thank you for your reply. I will update the first post.
The english version of 16-11-2012 has already been mirrored.
What's missing:
1. English version of the FW 17-12-2012 (13-12-2012)
2. Difference and new features between the FWs (25-12-2012) on official site of PiPo

#19 innocence07

innocence07

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Thank you for your reply. I will update the first post.
The english version of 16-11-2012 has already been mirrored.
What's missing:
1. English version of the FW 17-12-2012 (13-12-2012)
2. Difference and new features between the FWs (25-12-2012) on official site of PiPo

ok thanks... and another thing sir did u try this method here link in making cwm run... you will be needing the parameter file of pipo u1 pro i can provide it to u here it is link

i didnt do it yet im wondering if u can do it and report if u got it running successfully thanks :D

ps
if your wondering where did i get the parameter file heres the link
if you go to the link you will see another method for making cwm run but i failed to do so...so i look for another one and came across the one from this site slatedroid

goodluck :D

Edited by innocence07, 26 December 2012 - 06:28 AM.

#20 androad

androad

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

anyone know the difference between GT813 and CPT360, my friend installed the GT813 version and he says the tablet looks like speedstar s "http://www.jeffries....om/speedstar_s" pipo speedstar s in google play, what about CPT360 version?