• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#161 luckyjan

luckyjan

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks.

A bit late though. They list it as sold out.

Oh, well ...one day I may get my W42 ??

:(

Here?

http://www.allpmp.co...u=24364&id=1056

http://dx.com/p/ramo...th-black-188893

http://www.priceange...k--s156950.html

Edited by luckyjan, 15 April 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#162 Sp4ceM4rine

Sp4ceM4rine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Got my Ramos W42 last week. The screen reponsiveness is good (just as good as my Galaxy S3). I use swiftkey. Also i don't have a problem with color banding (or at least i didn't see it).
The screen is beautifull and the wifi is very good so nothing to complain here. When i used the last update the tablet rebooted in full chinese so i had to guess where i must change the language in the settings. Also there was less software on the tablet (not a bad thing cause most of it i didn't wanted).

Well, I'm puzzled. If your screen response is as good as a Galaxy S3, then I have a defective tablet. I've been trying to solve the problem with different tweaks or apps to enhanced the touch screen sensitivity, but nothing seems to work. I have a lag of about 1/3 of a second between a finger touch and an actual response from the tablet. At this point, I'm thinking about opening the tablet to see if there's a loose or faulty cable somewhere. If anyone had a idea on how to open it, I would be grateful. I dont care about the warranty, I do this as a hobby.

About the banding, if you have it, it would be visible in the settings window. It looks like this:
Posted Image

So, instead of getting a smooth change of color from grey to black, I get transitionnal states of color separated by lines. I know I'm not alone with this problem, I've seen it on the Ramos W30 and the W42. It looks more and more like a QC issue from Ramos.

#163 luckyjan

luckyjan

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yes i see what you mean. A picture of the settings screen
Posted Image

But it not something i have a problem with when i use the tablet...

This is a test screen in the browser

Posted Image

And the homepage

Posted Image

And a little test of the screen response (which is very good).
http://youtu.be/3By6LxSGohw

Edited by luckyjan, 15 April 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#164 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Here?

http://www.allpmp.co...u=24364&id=1056

http://dx.com/p/ramo...th-black-188893

http://www.priceange...k--s156950.html

Thanks

I have taken one more shot with Lightake. They say in stock.

Keeping fingers crossed!

:)

Edited by BamaPanda, 15 April 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#165 de-loused

de-loused

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Good luck BP! Hope this time you're lucky :-)

EDIT: I saw that the W42 is now back in stock also elsewhere. Maybe finally it's not discontinued and its production was stopped only temporarily...

Edited by de-loused, 16 April 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#166 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

OK. Got it today. I will do a review later ....

but for now.

Well built, nice design
Nice size. Same width as an iPad; not as tall.
Card slot VERY fiddley ...had to push in further with a pen knife ...carefully.
Has banding ..but really has to be app dependent, as it does not so it with all apps. No prob with pictures, wallpaper, anything of import so far.
Responsive, but not as good as an iPad. 4.2 should fix that.
Screen not quite as responsive to touch as I would like, but that may be the plastic overlay still on there.

Cheers & KUDOS to LIGHTAKE. Once the 42 was stocked, it came fast. The 6.00 extra charge for DHL is WAY below anyone else I have seen.

So far, so good.

Edited by BamaPanda, 22 April 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#167 venome

venome

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hope you enjoy your new tablet. Would have liked to have Jelly Bean by now though :)

#168 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Agree. It will come.

4.2 is out on the Hyundai (or soon will be); won't be long till Ramos does it as well.

#169 Sp4ceM4rine

Sp4ceM4rine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Agree. It will come.

4.2 is out on the Hyundai (or soon will be); won't be long till Ramos does it as well.

Hey BamaPanda, congrats for finally getting your tab. It’s been a long ride ;)

I know I’ve been a little harsh on the W42, but after further use, it has slowly grown on me to the point that it is now my daily driver. The one and only drawback of this tab is the touch response. Now that I’ve been accustomed to it, I realize that the w42’s other strengths compensate easily for it. Removing the screen protector wont give you a big improvement though; I suggest to keep it as the screen is easily prone to scratches.

The Exynos is actually more powerful in many real life situations, a perspective not given by benchmarks. The RK3188 is a good chip, trades blows with the Samsung chip in different games, but lacks in terms of multitasking and fluidity.

However, I’m not as optimistic as you about Jelly Bean. Samsung has always dragged their feet on Android updates. I was shocked to see on youtube the Ramos X1 showcased with 4.0.4.

Edited by Sp4ceM4rine, 23 April 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#170 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hey BamaPanda, congrats for finally getting your tab. It’s been a long ride ;)

I know I’ve been a little harsh on the W42, but after further use, it has slowly grown on me to the point that it is now my daily driver. The one and only drawback of this tab is the touch response. Now that I’ve been accustomed to it, I realize that the w42’s other strengths compensate easily for it. Removing the screen protector wont give you a big improvement though; I suggest to keep it as the screen is easily prone to scratches.

The Exynos is actually more powerful in many real life situations, a perspective not given by benchmarks. The RK3188 is a good chip, trades blows with the Samsung chip in different games, but lacks in terms of multitasking and fluidity.

However, I’m not as optimistic as you about Jelly Bean. Samsung has always dragged their feet on Android updates. I was shocked to see on youtube the Ramos X1 showcased with 4.0.4.

Thanks.

I have hope for Jelly Bean, as it has been announced for the Hyundai. It would not surprise me, though ..if Ramos waits for 5.0.

I will read back through the thread, as I am pretty sure what I need is there ...1. to root the device & 2. to update it.

I do hope the update fixes the battery. I was using it, all was well ..3/4 battery showing. Then I turned around and bam, ...it was 14% ..ready to charge.

Yikes! Have to get that dealt with if possible. Posted Image

Edited by BamaPanda, 23 April 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#171 Sakisf

Sakisf

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

After spending 48 hours into the forum and adding to cart / removing more than 20 tablets, this thread finally got me to place an order on the W42! I placed my order with Lightake, hopefully they indeed have it in stock as they said (chose them because of the 5% discount - only them / SPAMMER! / minideal / aliexpress sellers claimed to have stock) and I will receive it by the middle to the end of May if all go well.

This would be my first tablet, wife got the Ipad 4 and I got jealous :p

I have noticed that some other 4412 tabs got their JB treatment like Hyundai T7, do you think it will be coming soon on this one too or is Ramos generally not updating firmwares?

#172 janesh

janesh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationthe netherlands

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Congratulations, the best chinatab I bought so far. Despite running ICS, I don't miss JB, the Ramos W42 has it all.
Brilliant screen, very good wifi, fast and smooth, no lag.
That last I cannot say about the RK3188, still suffering that annoying lag, I was used to my RK3066 devices.
I have to see if firmware updates will improve the RK3188 devices concerning that lag.
The same story for my ployer Momo 11 quad with exynos 4412 on ICS. Very fast, wifi slightly less and screen not so bright but overall very good.
Untill now in my view, the exynos 4412 by far the best choice in a china tab.
On order, nothing, and am i am finished with Chinese cpu's, i prefer my exynos devices.
Favorites, in order of use, Samsung galaxy note 8 inch, Ramos W42, Ployer Momo11 quad exynos 4412.
Sold last months, PiPo U1, Teclast P85, PiPo S2, Teclast P85HD, Cube mini U30GT, Yuandao Vido N80IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero ii: very bad, Ployer Momo12, Onda V812, Yuandao Vido N80 RK3188, Teclast P88, Google Nexus 7-8Gb, PiPo M8pro RK3188, Chuwi V88 RK3188, Samsung galaxy tab 7.7, Ployer Momo8 IPS, Yuandao Window N70, BB playbook.
And: You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason: we were lazy.

#173 Sakisf

Sakisf

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Congratulations, the best chinatab I bought so far. Despite running ICS, I don't miss JB, the Ramos W42 has it all.
Brilliant screen, very good wifi, fast and smooth, no lag.
That last I cannot say about the RK3188, still suffering that annoying lag, I was used to my RK3066 devices.
I have to see if firmware updates will improve the RK3188 devices concerning that lag.
The same story for my ployer Momo 11 quad with exynos 4412 on ICS. Very fast, wifi slightly less and screen not so bright but overall very good.
Untill now in my view, the exynos 4412 by far the best choice in a china tab.

I hope they have it in stock indeed. Current status says they are in the process of collecting the item, hopefully they won't revert to me asking me to accept a W41 instead as it was the case in the past from what I see here as well as in the Russian forum. In this case I might opt either for the W30HD with its horror stories of the screen never coming back after a lockscreen or the Hyundai T10, but the price and size really go up:/ Unfortunately for 8.something - 9.4 there is not much competition but M8Pro with rk3188 and Exynos does not exist in 8" tabs, the 7" ones are too small I believe to consider them (T7s).

Edited by Sakisf, 29 April 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#174 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

I hope they have it in stock indeed. Current status says they are in the process of collecting the item, hopefully they won't revert to me asking me to accept a W41 instead as it was the case in the past from what I see here as well as in the Russian forum. In this case I might opt either for the W30HD with its horror stories of the screen never coming back after a lockscreen or the Hyundai T10, but the price and size really go up:/ Unfortunately for 8.something - 9.4 there is not much competition but M8Pro with rk3188 and Exynos does not exist in 8" tabs, the 7" ones are too small I believe to consider them (T7s).

That is normal. If you have not seen it ship within 5 of their working days, it is probably unavailable.

Hope yours works out well.

#175 Sakisf

Sakisf

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

If they don't have it should I go for momo11 / t10 or t7s? Any of those have good brightness? My eyesight is good but I don't like dim displays at all.

#176 Sakisf

Sakisf

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Finally received the W42 today. I played a little bit with it, i.e. loaded google play and added my account to it. Generally it appears to be good quality, both the screen and the tab, touch responsiveness is not really good but I have not removed the screen protector of it yet. This is my first chinatab and my only previous experience of tabs is the wife's ipad, so I smiled when I picked it up at 0.5 kg compared to the heavier ipad. The screen looks nice even at low brightness setting, except for the colours which are a bit washed up with low brightness. Higher is fine too, but the battery went down 7% with wifi & middle brightness setting quickly. I am gonna give a try to the games I have on my ZP810 phone and see how they fare. They run excellent on the phone so I guess it will be much better on the tab. I am now waiting for the JB upgrade as JB on the phone is much smoother than ICS. Will upgrade to the latest fw as well when I get an SD card for it.