Android Tablets Forum banner

My brief review of Yuandao N70S

14K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Westy182 
#1 ·
I couldn't find impartial user reviews of the Window/Yuandao/Vido N70S tablet before I bought it, so I wanted to post something that might help people looking for a sub-$100 tablet.

First off, I know this is not the N70 or N70HD, both of which have IPS screens. I actually placed orders for the Ainol Crystal and then for the Pipo U1 Pro--both of which have IPS screens, too--but neither order could be fulfilled due to shortage of screens. So I dropped down in price and got the N70S for around $85 before shipping (which I paid more to get expedited). So this tablet is in the range of the Pipo S1 (800x480 screen) and refurb Nook Colors and such. To get the 1024x600 resolution, Rockchip processor, Android 4.1.1, and MicroSD and HDMI outputs, it seemed the best deal. This is going to be used about 50/50 between my wife (facebook, email, a few games) and my 3-year-old son (games, learning apps, videos,) so I didn't want to spend $200 for a Nexus 7 or $500 for an iPad. Our tablet just needs to survive for a year, basically. I've only had it for a week and haven't yet run all the tests I could (various microSD write times, heavy gaming, etc.), so keep that in mind.

STRENGTHS:
The stock UI is fluid and glitch-free, so far. I had considered getting a custom ROM, but the stock system is better than I was hoping. Almost every app I have looked for in the Play Store has been installable, the most current version of the Netflix app works fine, and there were only several Chinese apps which I disabled with no problem. This is my first experience with Jelly Bean, and it's growing on me. I haven't tried any graphics-intensive games, but from what I understand, the Rockchip/1GB Ram setup will handle them fine. The screen is not IPS, and the viewing angles are not good; this is definitely a 1-person viewing experience. But the colors and resolution are quite decent, and HD movies look good. My package came with a USB OTG cable, and with no problem I was able to hook up a 16GB USB drive as slave to the N70S's master. Very convenient way to extend storage space. HDMI-out (mini, not micro!) worked fine with my Vizio TV. There's only a front-facing camera, but it appears to be okay for video-chatting.

WEAKNESSES:
The battery has been depleted and charged a couple of times, so it should be at or near its max-capacity...which is a little discouraging. With WiFi on, medium brightness, and mixed light usage (Youtube, poker app, email, browsing, etc.) it runs down in just over a day. It seems to pull more power than necessary when sleeping, so maybe it should be turned off overnight. With a non-HD screen and no 3G/4G usage, I'm a little surprised that the N70S isn't more of a 2-day tablet. The other major flaw is its lack of scratch resistance. Literally after 1 week of very light usage, the screen has a light scratch (partly my fault for not putting on a screen protector ASAP), and the plastic back has a deep scratch. Not only that, I had to re-snap the corner back together after one day; it had just popped apart approx. 2 mm. On a lesser note, my video-chatting app of choice ooVoo does not connect calls with the N70S, so I'll have to try Skype or alternatives. The screen sensitivity is okay so far, but occasionally a pull in Angry Birds Star Wars will not register properly.

SUMMARY:
I'm quite happy with my purchase. I wanted something cheap enough not to hold my breath when my toddler played with it, but speedy enough for us parents to enjoy using at times. Not having tested the others, I can't say definitively, but the N70S may well be the best tablet under $100. The guts are sufficient for almost any task, the screen is passable, and you really don't need a root & custom ROM as the stock operating system seems to be adequate. I would recommend it as a great starter tablet, but with a good case and screen protector. And make sure you charge it each night.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good write up of your experience with N70S.

Some comments:
#1. Crystal had MVA display but switched to TN. MVA is really close to IPS but not quite the same. Minor differences. N70S may use MVA display too. Aurora-II & Fire have IPS. Crystal are now shipping with TN displays which have the worst viewing angles.

IPS is the best, then FFS & MVA and last is TN (the worst).

#2. Battery on 7" Chinese tablets will run average about 4-4.5 hours. One or two of them can do 5-6 hours. Less than that if you just game all the time. Especially 3D games.

#3. Sleep will drain some battery power over time. Best to turn off when not going to use it for 4 or more hours. Especially overnight.

I agree that the N70S is a nice starter tablet for people on budget or for children to use.

PS, you did great by buying tablet with RK3066 chip. Gives off less heat and better at 3D gaming too. One of the best ARM chips out there today.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got a yudandao n70s and its really really fast, the screen looks pretty good ands is solid and responsive im really happy with my decision, i use a script to root it and unistall the unnecesary chinese apps and works great. its the best deal you can get for that price range, only the teclast p76t is a little cheaper but i dont like the screen also i think the battery is smaller.

#4 ·
i'm not sure is it the same for all but my n70hd come with a default lousy screen protector which is already pasted on when it arrived.

I had tear it off and the screen is much responsive and the color is much brilliant than before. it has been naked for my 2 months usage and so far not a single scratch.

#6 ·
Not very loud. Even with headphones on in the car and volume at max, my wife thought her movie was a little too quiet. One other thing I forgot to mention was the lack of bluetooth, so no remote headphones or keyboards or gamepads. Still, it's a nice little tablet and my only real regret is not being able to nab one of the models with a higher-quality screen.

#9 ·
One other minor annoyance - after the N70S has slept for a couple of minutes or more, it takes the wireless chip a little while to reconnect to my WiFi network. My phone and laptop never have this problem, so it's unique to the tablet. Not a dealbreaker, but don't expect to hit "On" and jump right online. I'd say 20-30 seconds is the average lag.

#11 ·
I see the original poster says he had no issues with the stock OS running, did this remain like this? The only reason i'm asking is that my N70S has been really unstable and crashes all the time and can't run some apps like YouTube! Anyone else had any issues with the stock OS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.