• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Lambrou

Lambrou

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

The cheaper tablet from Yuandao with almost the same specs with Window N90II
I have order one from ali express and waiting for it.

Any one get this tablet and test it????

Thanks guys!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  n90s.jpg   40.53KB   39 downloads

#2 John C.

John C.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

NikosV posted he ordered one of these.
It doesn't have IPS so it will be interesting to see how you like the screen. Please keep us posted.
Pipo S2
Window N80IPS
Window N90IPS II

#3 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

NikosV posted he ordered one of these.

I had an order in for N90S but I cancelled that and went with N80 (non-IPS) instead. My N80 is now somewhere in Canada and slowly making its way to me. I should get it by Dec. 26/27.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#4 Chris P Bacon

Chris P Bacon

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

I received an N90S yesterday, see my post here.

I had ordered an N70S so it was a bit of a surprise to get the N90S.

Even though it has only cost me US$100 I am generally unimpressed.

The viewing angle of the screen is not great but I find the colours and brightness fine for a budget tablet. Unfortunately it has one dead pixel and so far I haven't been able to fix it, I have just charged it again and will leave the colour flush app running until the battery dies and hope that that fixes it but I am not overly hopeful. Fortunately it is in the top right of the screen and the 6 year old who is getting this as a birthday present will never notice it!

The much bigger concern is the wifi. I don't know if it is connected to the aluminium back panel or not, but in any case the signal strength drops off rapidly as I move away from the router and in rooms where I can use my Cube U20GT or HP Touchpad the N90S has no signal. Also when I just went to check it again now it was showing "not in range" even though I was right beside the router and I needed to re-boot the tablet to re-establish wifi.

Build number is showing RK30_ANDROID4.1.1-SDK-v1.00.00 rk30sdk-eng4.1.1 JRO03H20121123.192550 release-keys, not sure if that is the latest release for this tab?

Chrispy.

[edit] I just had the chance to pay around with this a little bit more, and for streaming from youtube I needed to be in the same room as the wifi router, not happy with the wifi performance at all...

Edited by Chris P Bacon, 21 December 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#5 johntailors

johntailors

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

It seem to be the same target of the new onda 971t, 9.7 dual core under 160$...

#6 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

I received an N90S yesterday, see my post here.

Viewing Angles will never be great unless you get IPS. Though MVA does pretty good too. I wonder if they used TN or MVA for the non-IPS display. TN has bad viewing angles.

The back is aluminum so that will affect signal strength. Though no idea how good or bad the WiFi antennae is. Both of those will impact the signal.

I have seen that some version of Jelly Bean gives a bad WiFi signal too.
https://community.ve.../message/911382

Search and you will find more. You either have to downgrade to ICS or wait for newer version to fix. I think 4.2 (or 4.1.2) may fix the WiFi?

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#7 Chris P Bacon

Chris P Bacon

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Viewing Angles will never be great unless you get IPS. Though MVA does pretty good too. I wonder if they used TN or MVA for the non-IPS display. TN has bad viewing angles.

The back is aluminum so that will affect signal strength. Though no idea how good or bad the WiFi antennae is. Both of those will impact the signal.

I have seen that some version of Jelly Bean gives a bad WiFi signal too.
https://community.ve.../message/911382

Search and you will find more. You either have to downgrade to ICS or wait for newer version to fix. I think 4.2 (or 4.1.2) may fix the WiFi?

Thanks for the info, I'd imagine it's a TN screen as there is often dark clouding on the left of the screen if you are not looking at it at exactly the right angle. The kid who will use it probably won't notice it but if the tablet were for myself it would drive me crazy! The screen on the HP Touchpad and the Cube U20GT is light years ahead of it in quality. I'll be sure only to ever get IPS screens in the future, I had intended to get a Ployer Momo7 this time but the seller messed me around for a week before telling me they couldn't get stock so that is how I ended up with the Yuandao.

The wifi is the bigger issue for me, I would have no problem in downgrading to ICS if it fixes the wifi but I don't think there is ICS firmware available for this tablet, I'm pretty sure it was launched with JB. Can anyone help with info?

Thanks again

Chrispy.

#8 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

The wifi is the bigger issue for me, I would have no problem in downgrading to ICS if it fixes the wifi but I don't think there is ICS firmware available for this tablet, I'm pretty sure it was launched with JB. Can anyone help with info?

It likely launched with JB like you say. So, you will probably have to wait for newer JB version to come out.

Yuandao's site is down so impossible to check for new firmwares. Their site seems to be down and not sure what is happening.
www.yuandaocn.com

Make sure you get N90S firmware and not some other N90 firmware version if you ever get onto their site.

Momo7 might have been better. I have heard there is screen flickering with Momo12 from 2 different people. Similar to Hyundai's A7HD. Not sure if Momo7 is affected or not. Could just be happening on Momo12.

Seems every Chinese tablet has some type of issue(s). =(

#9 Chris P Bacon

Chris P Bacon

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Seems every Chinese tablet has some type of issue(s). =(

Ain't that the truth! But where would the fun be in having something that just worked! :rolleyes:

I was tempted by the Nexus 7 but at almost 3 times the price I just didn't have the money to spend on it.

I guess I'll just sit it out now until JB 4.2 firmware is available for the N90S in the hope it will fix the wifi issue, maybe advertise it for sale in the mean time and if I can get my money out of it I will give my dughter my HP Touchpad and pick up something else for myself.

#10 magnusaaa

magnusaaa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNorrland, Sweden

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Ain't that the truth! But where would the fun be in having something that just worked! :rolleyes:

I was tempted by the Nexus 7 but at almost 3 times the price I just didn't have the money to spend on it.

I guess I'll just sit it out now until JB 4.2 firmware is available for the N90S in the hope it will fix the wifi issue, maybe advertise it for sale in the mean time and if I can get my money out of it I will give my dughter my HP Touchpad and pick up something else for myself.

Look at Post #3 by me

I wish you all a merry merry christmas!!
Live long and prosper!

Posted Image

#11 Chris P Bacon

Chris P Bacon

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Look at Post #3 by me

I wish you all a merry merry christmas!!

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to how that is going to fix my wifi problem?

Merry Christmas.

#12 magnusaaa

magnusaaa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNorrland, Sweden

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to how that is going to fix my wifi problem?

Merry Christmas.

Sorry that was probably a little "off-topic" but my intention was just to tell a little bit in general about hardware in so called "china tablets". I have had a few and none has been working satisfying out of the box. In particular I had wifi issues with a Cortex A9 tab "Rena 3". I was thinking that there was a broken wifi chip but after using it for a while I upgraded the firmware and all the sudden wifi signal strenght was more than satisfactory. I understand your frustration and I would be very very happy if I could understand why so many devices are shipped with firmware that does not fully support the hardware. First person who explain this in a rational way (other than stated below) will be rewarded $5 via Paypal. Also you mentioned that your device claimed to be out of range even though you were right beside the router it was that who made me think it was a firmware issue rather than a hardware issue. I may be wrong.

I generally like the idea of free and fair markets though my experience of "unregulated" markets are that the end-consumer will always be the loser. I suspect that many bugs and issues are due to heavy competition which in turn make immature products appear on the market. We all know about the need to update Windows (XP, 7 and so on) in order to maintain security and functionality of the system. This is generally accepted and I think the same principles should apply to similar products such as Android OS. This may explain many of the issues that tablet buyers are experiencing. But you are right to ask question and to demand that your purchased device actually does what they are marketed to do.

Also one has to consider that there is a completely different manner of business in China compared to what we are used to in the western markets. There was a time when i.e. Toyota was considered a crappy car and that Japan was unable to manufacture high quality products. This is not true today as Toyota is considered a high quality and reliable car. That market has evolved.

Hopefully we will think similarly about "china tablets" in the future since they will likely adapt. The reason for my reply was simply to suggest that you either wait for an update release or that you try finding some fix for that particular issue. Have you browsed Google Play for some wifi fix apk? Many to not say most such apks are crappy and should not be on Google Play. I tried a few of them and found that only one of them actually partially solved my wifi issue so I would rather suggest trying to find some other fix.

Also since my Slatedroid account somehow was reset I am no longer able to post new threads which I probably would have if I could. Since I am waiting for the delivery of my Window N90 I am also trying to gather as much information as possible so that if I face the same issue like you did I would be prepared.

I would be thankful if you could post the progress (if any :) ) Good luck!

Cheers!
Live long and prosper!

Posted Image

#13 Ramsheed

Ramsheed

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

I received an N90S just before Christmas - overall I want to like this tablet. Battery life is reasonable, except it still drops to nothing when the battery icon gets to about 30%.
The main issue as mentioned above is the wifi. Near the router is fine, go in to the next room and the signal fluctuates from strong to weak and back again over time. Whether it is strong or not though, the device does not connect to the network, just getting stuck at "connecting" or "authenticating".
The Ipad, Teclast and Onda tablets all connect easily to the network from this same location.
I have tried changing router channels, static IPs...frustrating! If I want to connect to the web I have to use my phone as a wifi hotspot from this room. I thought for a short while the static IP was going to solve my problem but I'm back to square one..does anyone know what the primary and secondary DNS numbers should be for this tablet? The default is 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

#14 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I received an N90S just before Christmas - overall I want to like this tablet. Battery life is reasonable, except it still drops to nothing when the battery icon gets to about 30%.
The main issue as mentioned above is the wifi. Near the router is fine, go in to the next room and the signal fluctuates from strong to weak and back again over time.

Yuandao's battery meter is not accurate. Same happens with N80.

DNS should come from your Internet provider or do an Internet search for your Internet provider DNS #s. Contact your provider for that info or you can log into your ADSL/cable modem (or router?) and see that in there. Some people will put their router's IP as the DNS. It will work too but not proper way of doing it.

To fix WiFi:
a] replace tablet's antennae
b] change out back cover with plastic one or cut out area near antennae and glue in some type of "thick" plastic cut out.
c] newer firmware

I am using 4.1.1 on my N80 and WiFi is good on it. I have to assume the problem is either the antennae or metal back cover. Some people have complained about bad WiFi signal using 4.1 & 4.2 but I have not noticed this myself. But, I still have to do actual WiFi testing to know for sure.

Yuandao's only firmware for N90S is Nov 8, 2012.
"N90 dual-engine S-4.1.1-20,121,108"

Edited by Nickos-V, 04 January 2013 - 03:01 PM.

• Ramsheed likes this

#15 Ramsheed

Ramsheed

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yuandao's battery meter is not accurate. Same happens with N80.

DNS should come from your Internet provider or do an Internet search for your Internet provider DNS #s. Contact your provider for that info or you can log into your ADSL/cable modem (or router?) and see that in there. Some people will put their router's IP as the DNS. It will work too but not proper way of doing it.

To fix WiFi:
a] replace tablet's antennae
b] change out back cover with plastic one or cut out area near antennae and glue in some type of "thick" plastic cut out.
c] newer firmware

I am using 4.1.1 on my N80 and WiFi is good on it. I have to assume the problem is either the antennae or metal back cover. Some people have complained about bad WiFi signal using 4.1 & 4.2 but I have not noticed this myself. But, I still have to do actual WiFi testing to know for sure.

Yuandao's only firmware for N90S is Nov 8, 2012.
"N90 dual-engine S-4.1.1-20,121,108"

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried Battery Calibration apps - is there anything more that can be done? I guess not..
I have tried the DNS from my router and the ISP, I will go back to the ISP DNS if that is the best one to use.

Mine is 4.1.1 Nov 26 so I'm assuming there isnt anything more recent in terms of firmware
With regard to the wifi fix, can plastic back covers be readily sourced? What would the antennae be replaced with?

#16 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried Battery Calibration apps - is there anything more that can be done? I guess not..
I have tried the DNS from my router and the ISP, I will go back to the ISP DNS if that is the best one to use.

Mine is 4.1.1 Nov 26 so I'm assuming there isnt anything more recent in terms of firmware
With regard to the wifi fix, can plastic back covers be readily sourced? What would the antennae be replaced with?

For battery calibration, no. Likely a driver issue that has to be fixed in the firmware. ie. up to Yuandao to fix it.

I did not see any firmware newer for N90S. Though I have seen people report WiFi issues with 4.1 & 4.2 on other devices, like cell phones. Yuandao firmware can be found here (use online translation):
http://www.yuandaocn.com/download.aspx

Firmware upgrade is the easiest thing to do. 2nd is changing out the antenna. You can search for some other antenna designs (home made) or for some internal ones. 5-9 dbi would be ideal.

Pictures of internal WiFi antennae in tablets (notice they are a cylinder with metal rod sticking out of it):
http://www.alibaba.c...al_antenna.html
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__265179
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__367870

Trying to find who sells them will be kinda hard but they are out there to be bought. Also, avoid the ceramic ones because they are bad.

It maybe possible to modify your current WiFi antenna to work better. Look online for tips for improving antenna.

Plastic back cover (or cut out) is more in theory. Ie. you should be able to take back from another similar tablet, like N90-II, and get it to fit on N90S. Trying to find or get plastic back covers will be hard if not impossible. Cutting area around WiFi out is possible but you will need some type of thick, hard plastic to fit and glue into that area. Or maybe some type of copper metal/wire mesh that can fit in the cut out and you can glue or attach to metal back. Then find someway to connect your antenna to it to help boost the signal.

Use WiFi analyzer to measure signal strength. SpeedTest.net for download speed.

PS, I would suggest swapping out WiFi antenna or improving the current one. Though I would have to see 2-3 pictures of it to see if that is the problem or not. ie. no idea how good or bad the antenna is without seeing and having it tested out (without metal back).

PPS, also, carefully testing the tablet with back cover removed should reveal whether it was causing signal interference and by how much. Careful not to touch the PCB if you try this out. Keep hands only on tablet side. Maybe good idea to use a cardboard cutout on the back to avoid touching anything electrical inside the tablet. That should give idea of the affect the metal back is having on the signal.

#17 Ramsheed

Ramsheed

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

Okay, looks like I will be trying it to see how it works with the back plate removed and see if that make any difference. And look for a replacement antennae

#18 L1qu1D

L1qu1D

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

I just recently brought this and just flash to the latest firmware. The problem I am having is that the rear camera option and the panorama option are missing in the Camera App. It was there and working before. Does anyone have a solution? Only one I could think of is having someone who got this tablet backup their firmware.
Thanks in Advance.

#19 AzuriaN

AzuriaN

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Can i install N90II CWM or firmware on my N90S?

Edited by AzuriaN, 12 January 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#20 drdln

drdln

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

It' my first post here, so hello everyone!

I have a strange problem with my N90S. When the screen is turned off the clock app stops - it doesn't change time. So when I wake up the device it doesn't show current date and time, I have to set it manually in menu. Also "Automatic date and time" in the Date and Time menu doesn't work - it sets incorrect hour. How can i fix this?