Android Tablets Forum banner

G-Box Midnight

7K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Lexridge 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everybody.

I see this little box getting some mentions here and there, but I actually have one now, and I must say, it is quite impressive! For starters, here are the specs:

• Mine is HW version 2.2wh (not sure of the differences between v2.0 and v2.1)
    Mali400 High Performance HD GPU
    A9 Neon Cortex CPU
    1GB RAM
    4GB* Storage
    USB/SD Storage Extendable
    802.11n 150mbps Wifi
    10/100 Ethernet Port
    HDMI Out
    A/V Out
    4x USB 2.0 Ports
    Coax SPDIF Out
    Wireless IR Remote
    Google Market
    XBMC pre-installed

Pros:

• The unit is pre-rooted out of the box, but you may still want to install Superuser from the Market so root apps will function properly (ie Root Explorer, Titanium Backup). I have not yet found any apps that will not install due to compatibility issues. It also seems this unit gets pretty frequent updates.

XMBC works great! It plays all my MKVs, AVIs, and MP4s with zero problems, and no stuttering. Also, many of the XMBC plugins work flawlessly as well. Even most from BlueCop (but not ESPN).

Netflix supposedly works, but since I dont have a Netflix account, I cannot try it.

I have installed Slacker Radio, TuneIn Radio, MythTV Android Frontend, Skype, Beautiful Widgets, Root Explorer, ES File Explorer, Gmail, and Cifsmanager, among others. All work flawlessly. Well, the MythTV frontend has problems, but it has problems on every device.

The really nice thing is, a lot of thought went into the kernel modules. I have tried two different web cams with it, both worked well with both Skype and the Camera app. Running Skype on my 48" monitor is quite impressive! Bluetooth dongles are also supported, as are external USB Wifi sticks and DVB TV Tuners.

It can be powered from a USB port, but I am not sure I see any usefulness in this, unless your p/s goes up in smoke.

Cons:

• The unit runs rather warm. I think I will eventually cut a hole in the top and mount a small fan.

The lip sync is slightly off (about 1/8 second). Not just on XBMC, but every media player app. It could be my TV perhaps. I will try it on a few different TVs this week and see how that works. I sent their Tech Support an email regarding this issue this morning, but have not yet heard back from them.

It only really has 2GB of storage for apps, when you get down to it. I added a 16Gb sdcard and edited the /etc/vold.fstab file to swap between internal and external storage. Now, my sdcard mounts as /mnt/sdcard and the internal mounts as /mnt/external_sd.

No NTFS support.

Would I buy another one? Hell yes!! In fact, I have ordered a total of four so far for Xmas presents

I hope this mini review is useful to somebody.

Cheers

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.