• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#481 aaronm13

aaronm13

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

CMW all installed now. Very easy to do, thanks all for the tips. Roll on cyanogenmod.

#482 Thyme

Thyme

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

CMW all installed now. Very easy to do, thanks all for the tips. Roll on cyanogenmod.

How did you do it? Is there a way to do it without using a terminal on a computer? I'm having trouble getting the terminal working

#483 Diquan2001

Diquan2001

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

@msav Alright thanks for the instructions .It worked for me perfectly ..So what can i do now i have this CWM recovery :-)

#484 msav

msav

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

@msav Alright thanks for the instructions .It worked for me perfectly ..So what can i do now i have this CWM recovery :-)

you can backup your entire device.

if you accidentally brick your device you can restore your complete backup without having to do the re flash song and dance. also you will be ready for the custom rom when it comes out. it will most probably only be flashable with CWM.

if you want to experiment with new firmware and it turns out that the new firmware sucks you can just restore back your entire device.

#485 Diquan2001

Diquan2001

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

A nice one well Thank you for this CWM im backing up rightnow as im typing this .
I must say all you helping guys here are verry nice .Im glad your taking the time to help us N00bs out ..

you can backup your entire device.

if you accidentally brick your device you can restore your complete backup without having to do the re flash song and dance. also you will be ready for the custom rom when it comes out. it will most probably only be flashable with CWM.

if you want to experiment with new firmware and it turns out that the new firmware sucks you can just restore back your entire device.

#486 msav

msav

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

No prob. I am a noob Myself.

Just passing it on as I learn

I know what it is like to try and comprehend what these pros call instructions. They assume we noobs have the implied knowledge to fill in the gaps in their instructions. I am just starting to understand what some of their terminology means.

Edited by msav, 12 February 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#487 aaronm13

aaronm13

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

How did you do it? Is there a way to do it without using a terminal on a computer? I'm having trouble getting the terminal working

You dont need to use your pc at all. Download Terminal Emulator from the play store
-Launch Terminal Emulator and type su and press enter
-Then type busybox sh /sdcard/install-recovery.sh and press enter. This is your recovery installed.
-Type busybox sh /sdcard/reboot-recovery.sh This reboots into the new recovery when you can reboot back into your home screens from there.

Make sure you have extracted the three files from the zip and placed them on the root of the internal memory. Hope this helps. Also I downloaded busybox from ther play store before installing. I don't know of this is needed but the install went fine for me and only took a couple of minutes.

#488 Dvalin21

Dvalin21

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

@msav amen brother!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

#489 fredowww

fredowww

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

About something completely different: my micro usb port is too deep, about one millimetre. So the included cable, and most of my other micro usb cables, don't click into place and easily fall out. (They do work though.) Luckily, I found a micro usb cable that was slightly longer -- longer than the specifications state it should be, I guess -- that does actually snap into place...) Ayone else experienced this, or is this just on my tablet?

I have exactly the same problem. Last night the tablet only loaded for 40%, I suppose cable fall out during night ...
Where did you find this better cable that really 'clicks' ?

#490 fredowww

fredowww

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

These last third update, will this come in automatic with provided update function on the tablet?
In that case I prefer to wait ...

#491 letsfightinglove

letsfightinglove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

I have exactly the same problem. Last night the tablet only loaded for 40%, I suppose cable fall out during night ...
Where did you find this better cable that really 'clicks' ?

One cable that fits pretty well is from my Huawei Honor (could also be from my older ZTE Blade, not sure). The other one is a charging cable with screw-on connectors (mini usb, micro usb, and many others) that was included with a USB charger I purchased from Clas Ohlson (Swedish store).

#492 Iwantadroid

Iwantadroid

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Hey guys! I have a question for you all, as i'm preparing to buy my first Android device and there are so many options that i've gotten really confused and frustrated lol First I was only looking at the name branded tablets and was having a hard enough time trying to pick between those. I had narrowed down to the Acer A700 ASUS 700TF (i think that's what it's called anyway) then the Nexus 10 inch came out. Unfortunately while looking around in discussions and youtube video I discovered these Chinese brand tablets and i've been kind of intrigued by them, so that makes it even harder for me to choose.

I really like the features this Onda V972 offers, and the price is definitely attractive. I would mostly want it to read books, and watch youtube videos. I don't ever really play any games, but that may change once I actually get a tablet.

My question for you guys is, is this tablet a reasonably good one? How severe are the firmware issues, is it something that can be dealt with as long as I have patience or does it really handicap the device? I'm sorry for such a long message but i'm honestly confused as to what to buy. I also like the price factor on this one, since I can't choose between a 7" and a 10" I figure with my budget for one of the branded tablets I could get a 7" as well as this one, and that's one less choice I have to make lol I know that's probably weird but i'm very indecisive when it comes to tech, as everytime I buy something the next big thing comes out a week later.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can give their input. I'm interested in anyone and everyone's opinion on the subject.

#493 Thyme

Thyme

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

You dont need to use your pc at all. Download Terminal Emulator from the play store
-Launch Terminal Emulator and type su and press enter
-Then type busybox sh /sdcard/install-recovery.sh and press enter. This is your recovery installed.
-Type busybox sh /sdcard/reboot-recovery.sh This reboots into the new recovery when you can reboot back into your home screens from there.

Make sure you have extracted the three files from the zip and placed them on the root of the internal memory. Hope this helps. Also I downloaded busybox from ther play store before installing. I don't know of this is needed but the install went fine for me and only took a couple of minutes.

Thanks alot! Workes perfectly.
First step getting away from the crappy onda firmware

I really hope the guys who's working on Cyanogen mod uses 10.1 not just 10

Edited by Thyme, 14 February 2013 - 05:15 AM.

#494 aaronm13

aaronm13

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thanks alot! Workes perfectly.
First step getting away from the crappy onda firmware

I really hope the guys who's working on Cyanogen mod uses 10.1 not just 10

Glad it all worked out for you.

#495 jyams

jyams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hey guys! I have a question for you all, as i'm preparing to buy my first Android device and there are so many options that i've gotten really confused and frustrated lol First I was only looking at the name branded tablets and was having a hard enough time trying to pick between those. I had narrowed down to the Acer A700 ASUS 700TF (i think that's what it's called anyway) then the Nexus 10 inch came out. Unfortunately while looking around in discussions and youtube video I discovered these Chinese brand tablets and i've been kind of intrigued by them, so that makes it even harder for me to choose.

I really like the features this Onda V972 offers, and the price is definitely attractive. I would mostly want it to read books, and watch youtube videos. I don't ever really play any games, but that may change once I actually get a tablet.

My question for you guys is, is this tablet a reasonably good one? How severe are the firmware issues, is it something that can be dealt with as long as I have patience or does it really handicap the device? I'm sorry for such a long message but i'm honestly confused as to what to buy. I also like the price factor on this one, since I can't choose between a 7" and a 10" I figure with my budget for one of the branded tablets I could get a 7" as well as this one, and that's one less choice I have to make lol I know that's probably weird but i'm very indecisive when it comes to tech, as everytime I buy something the next big thing comes out a week later.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can give their input. I'm interested in anyone and everyone's opinion on the subject.

Newbie, I'm sure others will respond, but I thought I would give it a go. I am a devout android user on phones and tablets. Have rooted and done many experiments on all my devices, however, I am not a developer, just an avid reader of information on "how to" forums and articles. My current tablet is 2 years old and grossly out-of-date. I am an executive with a small company. Most folks here have Apple devices, however, I am a rebel and refuse to drink that kool-aid for now. Ipads start at $500. I love the new Ipad HD screens and the size size factor (9.7 inch). But I refuse to pay more than $300 for a new tablet. So, the avid researcher I am, I too began to look at the Chinese tablets. I have consumed literally 40 hours of every forum post, youtube video, blog post and photo of all the new quad core / retina screen tablets on the Chinese market. I have also considered getting a dual core (rk3066) with retina display, however, every indication on all models is that the core is underpowered to run the display at high density. I have considered the lower density IPS display / dual core tablets which have been on the market longer and have better battery life. However, I will mostly be using my tablet for reading books, documents, manuals, web content, and many other text related tasks. Secondly will be using it to download and watch alot of video content and movies. I do not play games on my tablet or other more core intensive applications. So, I desire the retina display features and need the horsepower in a processor to run the display. My final decision is to purchase a quadcore A31 tablet with a retina display. That narrowed the field down to the major Chinese players of Onda, Ainol, Cube, Chuwi, Ployer, Window, and Nextway (I probably missed one somewhere). ALL of these manufacturers' models of the A31 / retina version have issues as these tablets are the first versions of this technology. Although as a consumer I don't like to see hardware rushed to market before adequate testing, however, as long as we, the consumer, are lusting after and willing to purchase these new models, they will continue to be introduced with issues that haven't been adequately tested. But, these issues will be solved with time and one should not fear the cycle of development. I have found that most if not all of the issues are related to firmware. In most models there have already been firmware upgrades made. Onda and others have released at least 3 new firmware versions. In almost every model that has had upgrades users have said that performance has improved, some dramatically. Let me summarize my findings. The Onda V972 has been wildly popular. It has had 3 firmware upgrades. The best performance has been attained by following the upgrade path to the latest version, rooting, and installing a new launcher. Most prefer Nova Launcher. Removing the stock launcher takes care of many performance issues. Every model / manufacturer in their initial models have experienced lag and poor performance, some worse than others. There are many complaints about the Ainol Novo 9. There have been some compliments given to the Nextway F9X and the Chuwi V99. However, the Chuwi V99 has also experienced many complaints about wifi performance.

So, in summary I would like to tell you of my personal decision on my next purchase. I have decided to purchase the Onda V972 for several reasons. First, it is rated as a "quality" build construction. Next, it is the only one I have found that uses the micro USB as the charging port, much like current smartphones do. I like that and need that. It is the same form factor as most other models, but closely resembles the Ipad 3 for case accessories, which I already have from friends here at the office. With the firmware updates, rooting, and the fact that a custom recovery (CWM) already exists for it, makes it all the more appealing to me as I use CWM Recovery extensively to do backups and experiment with modifications. There are also instructions that exist to "open" the tablet up to the android market to use missing apps. I plan to modify mine accordingly. I am convinced by reading and viewing user comments and videos that with at least the 3 firmware updates the V972 is now stable and performs well. The negative for some users is the size of the battery which averages 4.5-6 hours of life with heavy use. However, that is not an issue for me as most of my use can be supplemented with charging periods if needed. Yes, I could "get by" with a lower power / lower screen density model, but I have noticed that the dual core models with retina displays almost cost as much.

So, I look forward to purchasing the Onda V972 and am confident that after upgrading it according to the manufacturers firmware upgrades, I will be very pleased with this purchase. I hope this helps you in your decision.

As a postscript I have been following another forum for another A31 model with the same specs as the V972. Internal photos were made of the interior of the other model along with photos of the inside of the V972. In my opinion a visual inspection of the internal build quality of the V972 in the photos was far superior to the other model, which was priced similarly. I plan to purchase from D***Prime or M***mobiles. I live in the USA.

Edited by jyams, 14 February 2013 - 05:23 PM.

• Anton Karlan likes this
Onda V972 Rooted
Galaxy Nexus Rooted Custom
Onda V812 Rooted

#496 rubiohiguey

rubiohiguey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I need a tablet for reading lots of PDF's, I was originally considering Pipo Max M1 dual core and/or Yuandao Window N90-II dual core.

I am currently deciding between Oanda V972 quad core and Chuwi V99 quad core.

I am just a very basic Android user ("basic" to the extent of creating dual-boot-from-SD-card for Nook Color about a year ago, and playing Marble Blast forever on it)...and my phone is Blackberry...so in "there" goes my android "experience"

Can somebody please sum up what would be the process to tweak Onda V972 from stock firmware to get a great tablet?

e.g.
1) Update firmware to X.X.X
2) Root with XYZ (I heard it was rooted but then later firmware removed the root)
3) Put on custom rom ABC
.. etc.

Also, after all these modifications, how is:
1) Wifi Signal Strength
2) Battery Life with regular usage (some wifi, browsing, and PDF reading), screen on low brightness (I currently have my Nook Color on 11% brightness)
3) Overal performance (any lags? etc.)

Thank you.

**P.S. Cross posting this on V99 forum as well)**

#497 Dvalin21

Dvalin21

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

@msav,

You opened your tab before correct? If so I was wondering if you would do it gain, I need to get some good detailed pics of the battery connector. I want to take the specs to a custom battery maker near my house and see how much it would cost to create a 10k mAh battery for the tablet.

#498 msav

msav

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

@msav,

You opened your tab before correct? If so I was wondering if you would do it gain, I need to get some good detailed pics of the battery connector. I want to take the specs to a custom battery maker near my house and see how much it would cost to create a 10k mAh battery for the tablet.

I have actually opened my tablet about 6 times so far. I installed a tyco wifi antenna as seen in this mod

http://www.apad.tv/a...iFi-antenna-mod

I am glad I got the onda because out of all of the a31 retina display tablets this one is by far the easiest to take apart. They are the only ones that used screws to hold the case in. They also have clips but the clips can be separated by using just your fingernails. The others use really strong clips and once they fatigue they will either break or no longer old the tablet together.

Actually mml78 took very detailed high quality pictures of the inside of his. see if they will do for what you need.

https://mega.co.nz/#!TY0FBQCI!QGvlHBrJJQ-ss8_GbWc7KGsR23RCjR09ziQcFyy_Pc8

they have this available however if the battery make you have is using better quality non china batteries it would be better

http://vondroid.com/...-new-life.5187/

Edited by msav, 14 February 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#499 jyams

jyams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

I need a tablet for reading lots of PDF's, I was originally considering Pipo Max M1 dual core and/or Yuandao Window N90-II dual core.

I am currently deciding between Oanda V972 quad core and Chuwi V99 quad core.

I am just a very basic Android user ("basic" to the extent of creating dual-boot-from-SD-card for Nook Color about a year ago, and playing Marble Blast forever on it)...and my phone is Blackberry...so in "there" goes my android "experience"

Can somebody please sum up what would be the process to tweak Onda V972 from stock firmware to get a great tablet?

e.g.
1) Update firmware to X.X.X
2) Root with XYZ (I heard it was rooted but then later firmware removed the root)
3) Put on custom rom ABC
.. etc.

Also, after all these modifications, how is:
1) Wifi Signal Strength
2) Battery Life with regular usage (some wifi, browsing, and PDF reading), screen on low brightness (I currently have my Nook Color on 11% brightness)
3) Overal performance (any lags? etc.)

Thank you.

**P.S. Cross posting this on V99 forum as well)**

This tablet will tweak very well if you do all the firmware upgrades through v1.32. Do them in the proper sequence using Onda's downloads. Then overwrite the last upgrade using this procedure to load a rooted 1.32 version. This rooted firmware version will not contain the Chinese apps and will also have a modification that will open up the Google Play Market to other apps that would not download previously. Then, go to the Play Store and download/install Nova Launcher. Make it your "always" launcher and then remove the stock launcher (google to find out how). Then, to see the results of these firmware improvements through v1.32, watch this video. It is in Spanish, however the user is demonstrating the improved performance on the V972 after the firmware upgrades AND the installation of Nova Launcher app, with the deletion/removal of the stock launcher, which was causing many problems.

In summary, here's the ideal tweak for your V972:
1. Update / load all firmware updates through 1.32
2. Flash the modded and rooted version of 1.32 by ArchTablet
3. Download Nova Launcher and install
4. Remove / disable the stock launcher
5. Enjoy!

Regarding you other questions:
1) Wifi is adequate and firmware updates don't tweak signal. Wifi could be better, however, the construction of the table would have to be changed to make room for a different wifi module and antenna run
2) Battery life is affected most by the retina display. It is a battery hog. You can certainly get 4 good hours with no power management and probably 6 hours by reducing brightness levels, turning off wifi and other common sense measures. It is what it is.
3) 90-95% of the lag is removed by upgrading the firmware AND removing the stock launcher and replacing it with Nova or Apex Launcher from the Play Store. You won't be disappointed if you make the firmware upgrades and change the launcher. See the video to prove this point.
4) Enjoy
  • Anton Karlan and rubiohiguey like this
Onda V972 Rooted
Galaxy Nexus Rooted Custom
Onda V812 Rooted

#500 Dvalin21

Dvalin21

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

@Msav

Thanks for the info Msav, only the zip file for the pictures, they wont unzip. Something is wrong with the file. Can you reload the files some where if you already have them? Also, so you think the power management chip will only help a little bit or a lot? I think if we condition the battery in the first place, plus get the chip going, then we could be alright.

Ive also been paying attention to the thread over at androidtablets.net about the Ainol Novo 9. Its similar as everyone knows so some of the software tweaks could be very helpful when we get started on the custom rom for the Onda tablets.

Ainol Novo 9

Anyway, if anyone has the physical specs wanted to call yourselves, then here is the information.

Advantage Battery NO2
7047 E Reno Ave Midwest City, OK 73110
(405) 610-2111

Anyone who gets the price and everything, please post it here on the site? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dvalin21, 15 February 2013 - 12:43 AM.