#1 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

All I have to say is this is quite a nice unit... Here are my initial impressions...

Let me start with the negatives :)

-Screen isn't as bright as other IPS displays and viewing angles aren't quite as good. But it is a very good display and it is definitely IPS not TFT. It is 1024x600 so everything looks really crisp. This is a huge upgrade over the PiPo S1! Compared with the Ainol Elf (1024x600 TFT LCD) it is also a huge improvement in color reproduction and viewing angles, which further confirms it is IPS and NOT TFT-LCD. So, it is a good screen, but it isn't a great screen so this goes in the negatives.

-Back is plastic (but I don't care... it is super light and has the best WiFi of any device I have ever tested)

-No dedicated charge port... which I can live with. My supplier sent me dedicated USB wall-chargers and the USB port is micro-usb so it is actually compatible with a lot of cell chargers.

-That being said, you cannot charge and use USB-OTG adapter at the same time.

-No dedicated volume controls, rather you get a power button, menu, and back. I think we can re-map the buttons though which is what we did with the Ainol Elf unit.

Positives....

-Best tablet design I have ever seen for the 7" category. Looks gorgeous, is very very light and it is the thinnest unit in the history of tablets (well, maybe not but it sure seems like it). It is only 8.6 mm thick.

-Tablet Design part 2 - The BEZEL is REALLY narrow and thin compared with other 7" units I have seen. This makes the screen look much bigger. The right side is thicker than the other 3 which means the screen is slightly offset to the left but it still looks really good.

-WiFi Range is simply unbelievable. I am seeing Hotspots from my office here that have never shown up on another 7" device. This is on par with the Yuandao N90 II which was one of my favorite units for that very reason. Ployer is the first China Tab maker to get Wifi completely right in a 7" device.

-4000 mAh battery (and the somewhat not as bright screen) make me think that battery life should be quite good.

-TF Card Slot, USB-OTG, HDMI-Out, and dedicated rocker that can hopefully be remapped for volume controls.

-Speaker is quite loud and not too tinny.

-I will give Ployer props as they included some very nice looking wallpapers that we will be keeping when we do a firmware mod.

-Screen/Device responsiveness is great. Multi-touch tester shows that 3 points work perfectly and as is typical with pretty much all China tabs, anything past 3 points of touch starts with some flickering... As long as two points work perfectly I am happy as very very few apps use more than that.

As with the Momo 12, on paper you might be tempted to say (oh well... another 7" unit or another 10.1" unit). This is NOT just another 7" unit. Ployer has really done a helluva job here and if the battery tests come out decent (4 hours +) I think we will have a winner for a low-cost 7" unit!

Regards,

Roman

PSS - Just thought about... this is the first RK3066 unit I have ever seen that support charging via the USB port which further confirms to me that Ployer waited on releasing RK3066 devices until the "final" or newest versions of the Motherboard were available...

http://www.topnotcht...oyer-momo7-dual
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#2 admonisher

admonisher

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

I have been eagerly awaiting your review and I very much appreciate it. Seems like I will be ordering this one also (ordered the Momo 12 after your review).
Ployer is really doing a nice job!

BTW, did you get the "Talent" version also? The Talent version has a 7" IPS 1280x800 pixels 10 Point Touch Capacitive Screen, minus the back camera.

Edited by admonisher, 14 December 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#3 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I have been eagerly awaiting your review and I very much appreciate it. Seems like I will be ordering this one also (ordered the Momo 12 after your review).
Ployer is really doing a nice job!

BTW, did you get the "Talent" version also? The Talent version has a 7" IPS 1280x800 pixels 10 Point Touch Capacitive Screen, minus the back camera.

The talent isn't launched yet and Ployer is "fresh out" of stock of everything at the moment. No wonder... It seems like as soon as I write a positive review company's sell out :) lol...

The Momo 12 is a phenomenal unit. My only regret is I don't get to own any of these Beaut's... I still do like my Yuandao N90 II though very very much.

-------

BATTERY TEST UPDATE!

3 Hours and 20 minutes at 100% Brightness (= about 60% brightness on the Momo 12) and.... drum roll... still have 40% battery! If this drain continues to be steady this will have proven to be not just one of the better 7" RK3066 units on battery but one of the better 7" Units I have ever tested on battery...

Will update you all with the final results in a few hours!

Regards,

Roman

EDIT: FOR COMPARISON... the PiPo U1 would have been almost dead by now, the PiPo S1 would have about 30 - 40 minutes. If this unit has 2 hours left in it (which I hope it does) that will put it awfully close to 6 hours which is a magical number...

Edited by Roman2025, 14 December 2012 - 09:06 PM.

www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#4 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

And as we now cross the 5 hour mark! on the battery drain test and the battery meter is still reporting 30% LIFE! I am wondering if the meter is either woefully off --or-- if Ployer has in fact installed some kind of lower-power miracle display panel in this device...

I honestly never expected to get past the 5 hour mark on this unit, let alone for it still to report 30% life...

Will tell you all how it turns out!

-Roman

-Ayn Rand

#5 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

6 Hours and 10 minutes!

Nice!

-Roman

-Ayn Rand

#6 admonisher

admonisher

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

The talent isn't launched yet and Ployer is "fresh out" of stock of everything at the moment. No wonder... It seems like as soon as I write a positive review company's sell out :) lol...

Ok thats good to know. I really like the results from your battery test. Makes me think that the Talent version also can last some 4-5 hours even with its higher resolution screen.

#7 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Ok thats good to know. I really like the results from your battery test. Makes me think that the Talent version also can last some 4-5 hours even with its higher resolution screen.

I really think a big part of it is the screen "brightness" not being all that bright. I would rather have the ability to bump the brightness up a little more but at least it does translate into a longer runtime.

Compare that with say, a PiPo S1, which has a TFT-LCD screen (so not quite as bright) and it is lower-res as well (not that I would think that makes any difference for battery life...) but you still only get 4 hours of use maybe under the same exact test.

Yeah, as I had said, Ployer has done a helluva job. I wish they had gone for volume controls instead of menu and back buttons and I wish the screen was a bit brighter. I have a suspicion the white plastic back is also going to be a scratch magnet (A La' the A10 powered Momo 11) but honestly if I were buying a 7" unit today I would happily drop money on this unit. I am almost finished up with the firmware for it :). The WiFi, Battery Life, and gorgeous/comfortable/thin/lightweight design are the real shining beacons here. I said the same thing on the N90 II, I can live with a plastic back if it translates into great WiFi :).

Regards,

Roman

Edited by Roman2025, 15 December 2012 - 02:35 PM.

-Ayn Rand

#8 publicimage

publicimage

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

Hallo,
i'm new here, but directly will start with questions :)

What about the problem with the battery charging, already saw several times in other forums that this tablet need very huge time to recharge the battery.
Do you have any ideas - how much time is needed for charging and is it so big pain in the a## ? Because everything else looks fine for me and i'm looking to buy this one.

#9 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Battery Charging is of course going to be slow if you are charging from your pc... duh... that's not a design problem. Granted, the unit doesn't come with a wall charger... oh but wait... our's do. :good:

I didn't measure charge times from the wall-charger but it seemed pretty quick to me. (Faster than any of my larger tablets by a good tick).

I didn't attempt to charge it from 0% from the USB port on my PC. Personally, that is only an option if you are really in a pinch.

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#10 Brakoj

Brakoj

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

I have noticed that the first time I touch the screen, my touch is ignored, then the rest are reliably detected. Stop using it for a few seconds and the next touch is ignored (scrolling or typing).

Do you get this effect? Do any of you know of a fix?

#11 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I didn't measure charge times from the wall-charger but it seemed pretty quick to me. (Faster than any of my larger tablets by a good tick).

See my post over here for an answer to that. =)
http://www.slatedroi...-other-devices/

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#12 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

I have noticed that the first time I touch the screen, my touch is ignored, then the rest are reliably detected. Stop using it for a few seconds and the next touch is ignored (scrolling or typing).

Do you get this effect? Do any of you know of a fix?

Yes this is a known issue :(. I believe it is discussed in another thread and it is annoying. I am testing the newest firmware from Ployer today and am hoping it is fixed.

Regards,

Roman

EDIT: ISSUE IS STILL PRESENT :(. Why is this so hard to fix. Cursed Chinese companies. Couldn't get everything correct on the first go if their lives depended on it. The screen does seem to "Wake" a little faster at least. I have tried to diagnose what is going on myself using logcat but I just don't know what I am doing at this level of firmware modification :(

EDIT2: All that being said, I have been using the tablet for over 2 weeks now as my daily driver and having gotten used to this odd phenomenon it doesn't actually cause me too much headache. I am mostly playing a few games and reading books in the nook application. I have gotten used to tapping the screen twice now when I want to switch pages. It was annoying at first but I don't even think about it now. I am not trying to justify the issue as being okay, not at all, just trying to lend some perspective after a couple weeks of use.

Edited by Roman2025, 28 December 2012 - 12:38 PM.

-Ayn Rand

#13 Brakoj

Brakoj

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

OK; I put a stopwatch to it, and the timeout is 6-7 seconds. 5 ish seconds and the next touch works, a good 7 and the next fails.

In developer options I enabled the Input/pointer location overlay, and the missed touch doesn't register at all.

So, where does the touch input go on an android system?

#14 Brakoj

Brakoj

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

I don't know anything about Android development, but I'm still interested. I'm running the firmware that came with mine, you're running the latest from the 27th, right? Can you reboot it and run dmesg and see what you get for the touchscreen driver to see if they've changed it, please?

I get:

<4>[    3.359183] goodix_ts_probe gt28x <--GT-DEBUG-->Start to install Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen driver.
<4>[    3.380630] <--GT-DEBUG-->*DRIVER INFORMATION
<4>[    3.385013] <--GT-DEBUG-->**RELEASE DATE:2012-02-07.
<4>[    3.411205] <--GT-DEBUG-->**COMPILE TIME:Dec 12 2012, 09:41:50.
<6>[    3.452712] input: Goodix TouchScreen of Guitar  as /devices/virtual/input/input2
<4>[    3.452818] <--GT msg-->Register input device successfully!
<4>[    3.452823] <--GT msg-->Request int port successfully!
<4>[    3.452845] <--GT msg-->Request reset port successfully!
<6>[    3.452853] Goodix-TS-82X 2-005d: Start Goodix TouchScreen of Guitar  in interrupt mode
<4>[    3.517505] <--GT msg-->Testing I2C connection...
<4>[    3.577503] <--GT msg-->Initialize successfully!

Apparently a driver compiled December 12th.

I also can't get anything out of logcat on everything verbose all files mode, or dmesg, just playing with this timeout thing.

/android/kernel/driver/input/touchscreen/goodix_touch.c seems to be the driver. Can't find a corresponding module on the device anywhere.

I wonder if it would be possible to pinch a gt82x.ko module from another tablet, perhaps a momo9 or 11 ( http://forum.upupdd....ic.php?f=11&t=4 ) and insmod it and see what happens?

#15 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Google Translate of the Firmware change notes from Ployer:

Firmware Description:
1 change the charging icon displayed by the upper display, the the charging icon images replace
2 The firmware compatible the the ov2659 gc2035 sp2518 camera, replace the camera need to restart the machine will only be effective
Duplication of the status bar the return key, volume keys icon scaled down in order to avoid the vertical screen icon
Gravity apk removed, and replaced on the auxiliary function items, as follows:
Open settings ----> Accessibility -----> gravity calibration
5. Increase automatically even disk function, plug in the usb connection as soon as the computer automatically

They broke the rear camera in the last release, that is why I never launched "Release 2" of our TNT firmware because the rear camera was missing. It is fixed now. I am also glad they moved the grav sensor calibration into settings rather than having a separate app. They also tinied up the soft buttons (yay!) to free up some space on the bar when the tablet is held vertically.

For our firmware, I also change the physical buttons to volume controls :).

I am working on Release 3 today.

Unfortunately I am not good enough to make kernel changes, otherwise I would attempt to fix the touchscreen delay issue. Why ployer isn't fixing it yet is beyond me. It is definitely a software issue though, I am about 99.9% certain of that.

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#16 Brakoj

Brakoj

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Unfortunately I am not good enough to make kernel changes, otherwise I would attempt to fix the touchscreen delay issue. Why ployer isn't fixing it yet is beyond me. It is definitely a software issue though, I am about 99.9% certain of that.

My investigation so far:

1) The touchscreen appears to be a Goodix GT-82x, connected by an i2c bus.

root@android:/sys/devices/platform/rk30_i2c.2/i2c-2/2-005d # cat name
Goodix-TS-82X

2) cat /proc/bus/input/devices shows an rk29-keypad (the hardware buttons), a gsensor (tilt sensing) and a touchscreen.

I: Bus=0018 Vendor=dead Product=beef Version=28bb
N: Name="Goodix TouchScreen of Guitar"
P: Phys=input/ts
S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/input/input2
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=event2
B: PROP=2
B: EV=9
B: ABS=2618000 0

3) You can see touchscreen data with 'cat /dev/input/event2' and touching the screen spews characters, but not the ignored touch.

4) I was really hoping to see what was going over the bus to try and narrow down which side is at fault (chip, i2c driver, touchscreen driver), but as far as I can make out, i2c-tools can't read from the bus / touchscreen as it's not exposed in /dev/i2c* anywhere.

5) run cat /proc/interrupts over and over, and you find something like:

306:       1810          0      GPIO  Goodix-TS-82X

That second number (presumably a count of interrupts caused by the device) increases by at least 2 for every touch. But it only increases by 1 for the ignored touches.

6) Another line in /proc/interrupts is:

74:      11172          0       GIC  rk30_i2c.2

Which is i2c bus 2 (where my touchscreen is registered). That increases by at least 12 interrupts for every normal touch, but only 6 interrupts for an ignored touch. (And, is it my imagination, or are the 6 interrupts delayed slightly?)

7) The RK3066 kernel source from https://s3.amazonaws...L_Edison.tar.gz (for a BQ Edison tablet) contains drivers/input/goodix_touch_82x.c and also drivers/i2c/*

I wonder if every Momo7 has experienced this, even the oldest firmwares? Do any other RK3066 tablets have this Goodix-TS-82 touch system? Do any others have this issue? Anyone have one that works and want to repeat these tests on it for comparison?

Edited by Brakoj, 31 December 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#17 dneill

dneill

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

Hi. Had my momo 7 for a few days now. Fantastic! If it helps I have very few of the issues reported above so dont know if mine has updated firmware. No touch issues. One touch is fine and screen does not go to sleep as some report. Charging takes about 4 hours with no over heating. Very few chinese apps. Only one is ireader which does not cause a problem. Both cameras working fine. No issues with unmounted sd card as some report.
My only issues are: back and menu switches instead of external volume. I understand I can remedy this by using your latest firmware but since it works fine I am reluctant to change firmware yet. Also when received the system volume was very low even with slider to max. Speaker very tinny and some noise on streaming sound. Have installed a speaker booster app which has solved the volume issue but it still has noise in background.

Overall a fantastic little tablet. Wifi is amazing. Screen fine for the size. Hdmi out great.Battery life as advertised..about 5 hours and battery meter seems accurate.
  • PHATBOi likes this

#18 PHATBOi

PHATBOi

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi. Had my momo 7 for a few days now. Fantastic! If it helps I have very few of the issues reported above so dont know if mine has updated firmware. No touch issues. One touch is fine and screen does not go to sleep as some report. Charging takes about 4 hours with no over heating. Very few chinese apps. Only one is ireader which does not cause a problem. Both cameras working fine. No issues with unmounted sd card as some report.
My only issues are: back and menu switches instead of external volume. I understand I can remedy this by using your latest firmware but since it works fine I am reluctant to change firmware yet. Also when received the system volume was very low even with slider to max. Speaker very tinny and some noise on streaming sound. Have installed a speaker booster app which has solved the volume issue but it still has noise in background.

Overall a fantastic little tablet. Wifi is amazing. Screen fine for the size. Hdmi out great.Battery life as advertised..about 5 hours and battery meter seems accurate.

May I ask where you ordered yours from? Thanks.

First Tab Coming Soon
Ployer MOMO7
(will be flashing TNT Release 3 FW)
7" 1024 x 600 HD IPS Display
CPU: RK3066, Cortex-A9 Dual-Core
GPU: Quad-Core Mali-400
1GB RAM DDR3 + 16GB NAND

#19 Sir Jaxxy

Sir Jaxxy

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

After reading this thread I have decided that my first tablet is going to be a MoMo7. I actually considered getting the Momo7 Talent but decided the better screen and 10 point was not worth the trade off of losing the rear camera. That and there just seems to be way more support for this one. I would have purchased from TnT but unfortunately he is slightly out of my price range right now and I would like to get it this month not in February ;)

Having said that I do have a question for you US members. Has any US member purchased via aliexpress.com? I found a really good deal there from a seller with great feedback. The only thing keeping me from buying is the statement "some buyers may have to pay for Customs duties or taxes". If anyone can explain this to me and let me know if this applies to those of us buying from the USA I would greatly appreciate it. I contacted the seller and asked if they could tell me if this would apply to my order and if so how much more I could expect to pay and they simply told me "i can not confirm your custom fee, because different country has different polity, you need confirm your custom my friend" which does not help me any.

TBH I would much prefer to simply purchase from a US dealer but getting the tablet + Keyboard Leather Case + Screen Protector+ Capacitive Stylus+clean cloth all for under $145 including 3-7 day DHL is a deal I can not even come close to matching with a US dealer :(

Thanks for any help you can give me.

#20 dneill

dneill

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

May I ask where you ordered yours from? Thanks.

I am in the UK and ordered it from Ebellking. The name on the receipt from China is Jiashan Betty Ecommerce Ltd