Ainol Novo 7 Legend Discussion

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 Fahadm88

Fahadm88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

Even after a lot of googling I have come up dry when it came community support for the Novo 7 legend. There are a few forum posts here and there but nothing very helpful. Nothing on custom ROMs or modding this particular tablet. So I thought I'd start my own little to thread to discuss all things Legend related. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this tablet, hope others see this and contribute their own experiences.

My tab specs:

CPU: ALLWINNER A13 1GHz.
Have been able to successfully overclock to 1.1Ghz. Will try going higher later.
RAM: 512 MB
Internal storage: 1GB.
Internal SD storage: 8 GB
External SD: Can go up to 32GB. I currently use a cheap 16GB one.
Screen: 4:3 800x600.
Google: Play Store works out of the box. Device is recognized as "Unknown Novo 7 legend" . GMAIL keeps crashing , hence uninstalled it. Gtalk doesnt work, use IMO. Doesn't come with Youtube installed. and not being able to download it from Play store, I'll have to get the APK elsewhere.
WEB CAM: Front facing 0.3mp. Can confirm it works with skype. Images are very dark and pixelated, but is OK for Skype if used in well lit room.
WIFI: works
Bluetooth: Not present.
GSM/3G : Not present.
GPS: Not present.
Radio: Not present.
HDMI: Does not support.
OTG: Can confirm it supports my USB keyboard and mouse and USB hub (using them to type this). Flash disk works as well and I was able to watch a movie without any lag.
Mic: Works fine for Skype, haven't tried voice recorder yet.
Audio port: 3.5 mm audi out
Single loud speaker: poor sound but ok for games and such.
ROOT: not sure if it came pre-rooted. I used Ainol Crystal root ZIP I found on this forum.
Battery: Goes 1 day + on standby. WiFi works for over 4 hours. Haven't really tested the batter properly.

Negatives:

- Poor viewing angles.
- Screen is still dim on max brightnes.
- Pixelation.
- Overheats on 100% CPU, sometimes it turns off on I turn off the screen. It seems to stop doing so after setting governeor to ondemand with 240-960Mhz.
- Android shuts itself off when battery goes below 13%, dunno why! Any suggestions ?
- Games requiring g-sensor act all wacky, in Riptide my boat keeps moving to the left. Some people have reported that changing the setting under the 'display' menu fixes it, but I've had no such luck.

All in all it is a decent performer given the price. I do wish the display was a little better and the battery a bit more long lasting.

So does anyone else here have any experience with this tab ?? Plz share them here!

Thanks!

Edited by Fahadm88, 21 December 2012 - 08:38 AM.

- Ainol Novo 7 Legend [Stock]
- Samsung Galaxy Y [Stock]

#2 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

you can always install a bigger battery

#3 bouncer

bouncer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Gmail worked fine for me, Bit slow loading the email but it works.

GTALK Works fine for me also including video chat.

YOUTUBE installed just fine however crashed trying to play any video.

Side loaded an OLD version and worked, However the UI is off due to the 4:3 Aspect ratio.

Update. Got a slightly older version on YouTube working. Link.

Edited by bouncer, 16 December 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#4 dejan13

dejan13

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

It is a great tablet. I have it with Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.

#5 indhut

indhut

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi, can you describe how to upgrade to jelly bean? I just download the img file, but don't know how to upgrade. Thanks

Sent from my lenovo s880 using Tapatalk 2

#6 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

looking at this tablet, which seems like a good tablet, i realiize how much of a good deal the tornados was with 1 gig of ram and all, i do like the way the legend look over my tornados though

#7 solman

solman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:26 AM

Hi could you please post if the g-sensor prob in games is resolved with the update?
Thank you

#8 Fahadm88

Fahadm88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the youtube link, will try it out later.

Dejan13 could you please tell me where you got the img file and how you updated??

Guys, whats ur opinion on viewing angles? Mines pretty bad :( thats one of my major gripes with this tablet.

FYI: I noticed a significant boost in battery life after draining it down to the lowest point before auto shutdown, then kept it connected to the wall adaptor with it turned off for about 8/9 hours. Now i can get about 3 days of standby with light gaming and a bit of reading.

#9 dejan13

dejan13

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

The Android 4.1.1 was preinstalled when I receive the tablet. It is a gift from my father but I think that a site called futeko.com have the original update image for the ainol legend with the installation instructions.

#10 solman

solman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

The Android 4.1.1 was preinstalled when I receive the tablet. It is a gift from my father but I think that a site called futeko.com have the original update image for the ainol legend with the installation instructions.

Could you please confirm if g-sensor works correctly with games? Thanks!

Viewing angle isn´t good, but OK for me.

For the price I paid I can fully recommend this tablet (only prob is g-sensor), in my case it´s for my daughter.

Edited by solman, 18 December 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#11 Fahadm88

Fahadm88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

What kind of battery times are you getting?

#12 solman

solman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

What kind of battery times are you getting?

Playing some games like plants vs zombies or beach buggy approx. 4 hours
  • Fahadm88 likes this

#13 Fahadm88

Fahadm88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

So I checked out futeko.com as suggested by Dejan 13. The jellybean firmware is there. Downloading it now, not sure if I want to update. Anyone here updated ?

#14 PhoenixUK

PhoenixUK

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

So I checked out futeko.com as suggested by Dejan 13. The jellybean firmware is there. Downloading it now, not sure if I want to update. Anyone here updated ?

Hi There,

I've just bought an Ainol Novo 7 Legend 7" Android Tablet running 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich from Futeko.com this week for our Son's Xmas Eve Birthday Present and confirmed with them that, as and when a 4.1+ Jelly Bean update became available, I could flash and upgrade to JB without affecting the Warranty, cool huh!!!

You can see the device info with ICS installed, as it was when we received it from the supplier here... Attached File  Novo7Legend_Android_4.0.4_ICS.jpg   76.28KB   73 downloads

So I went on to their website Futeko.Com Novo 7 Legend JB Upgrade Download Page With Instructions and proceeded to download the JB image and also the LiveSuite program. I've flashed several past Android Phones and Tablets, along with many other tech devices like laptops, desktops and so forth. You could say I didn't worry too much about anything going wrong, I had faith in my own ability *but could I have faith in a brand I'd never tried, time will tell*.

It all went very smooth indeed, the device came back on... changing the initial default Chinese text on the system was very straight forward with Futeko's guidance on the same page I downloaded the upgrade from.

You can see the device info with JB installed, after upgrade this evening here... Attached File  Novo7Legend_Android_4.1.1_JB.jpg   129.15KB   88 downloads

So all is well right the way through the device and it's new clothing (Jellybean) but then WHAM... The Novo's Wi-Fi just will not turn on, let alone connect to our wi-fi router. I know I had this working straight out of the box when the device had 4.0.4 ICS installed on it, so it has to be something that's been left out of this 4.1.1 JB upgrade, doesn't it? :(

The guys at Futeko aren't to blame for the above, they've been mega helpful to me this past week whilst choosing the best tablet I can for our son and just all round great customer service which is much appreciated.

I love the device too, I don't think anybody could have any true complaints about it for the price, £62.99 in the UK with EIGHT GB internal storage all together, that's without putting in up to 32gb micro sd should you want to. I know some 4GB internal storage versions are going for more than 63 nicker!!

Anyway, I just thought I'd give you guys above an update on my experience this evening, I just hope we can get some more movement on support, ideas, tech whizz's input for our specific make and model of device to get the best out of them!!!

I look forward to hearing from you all soon, oh and...

Merry Chrriiissssttttmmmmmmaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!! :clapping:
  • Fahadm88 likes this

#15 Shahzad Ahmed

Shahzad Ahmed

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

I have bricked my legend while updating. Livesuit stopped at 3% and then 0%. now its bricked. i have tried like 100 times even with ICS 1030 but the same failed messege. Now its just a paper weight :-(. Can anyone help me with its recovery like other Ainol SD Card procedure. i am not a newbie in Android. I have done all these stuff like million times but this Ainol legend brick is so annoying. Please help me guys

#16 solman

solman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hi There,

I've just bought an Ainol Novo 7 Legend 7" Android Tablet running 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich from Futeko.com this week for our Son's Xmas Eve Birthday Present and confirmed with them that, as and when a 4.1+ Jelly Bean update became available, I could flash and upgrade to JB without affecting the Warranty, cool huh!!!

You can see the device info with ICS installed, as it was when we received it from the supplier here... Attached File  Novo7Legend_Android_4.0.4_ICS.jpg   76.28KB   73 downloads

So I went on to their website Futeko.Com Novo 7 Legend JB Upgrade Download Page With Instructions and proceeded to download the JB image and also the LiveSuite program. I've flashed several past Android Phones and Tablets, along with many other tech devices like laptops, desktops and so forth. You could say I didn't worry too much about anything going wrong, I had faith in my own ability *but could I have faith in a brand I'd never tried, time will tell*.

It all went very smooth indeed, the device came back on... changing the initial default Chinese text on the system was very straight forward with Futeko's guidance on the same page I downloaded the upgrade from.

You can see the device info with JB installed, after upgrade this evening here... Attached File  Novo7Legend_Android_4.1.1_JB.jpg   129.15KB   88 downloads

So all is well right the way through the device and it's new clothing (Jellybean) but then WHAM... The Novo's Wi-Fi just will not turn on, let alone connect to our wi-fi router. I know I had this working straight out of the box when the device had 4.0.4 ICS installed on it, so it has to be something that's been left out of this 4.1.1 JB upgrade, doesn't it? :(

The guys at Futeko aren't to blame for the above, they've been mega helpful to me this past week whilst choosing the best tablet I can for our son and just all round great customer service which is much appreciated.

I love the device too, I don't think anybody could have any true complaints about it for the price, £62.99 in the UK with EIGHT GB internal storage all together, that's without putting in up to 32gb micro sd should you want to. I know some 4GB internal storage versions are going for more than 63 nicker!!

Anyway, I just thought I'd give you guys above an update on my experience this evening, I just hope we can get some more movement on support, ideas, tech whizz's input for our specific make and model of device to get the best out of them!!!

I look forward to hearing from you all soon, oh and...

Merry Chrriiissssttttmmmmmmaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!! :clapping:

Thanks for your wonderful explanation, sorry about the wifi prob...hope you´ll be able to solve it, please post. So I think at the moment its better to wait with an update.
Is there anybody who flashed and has the same probs?
My prob with the g-sensor is solved, had to change settings in screen (accelerometer), don´t know which are the differences between the 2 given options? Could anyone take me to the light?
Another thing yesterday I tried the opera mobile browser, I can recommend it for everyone, it is much much faster than firefox.....now its delicious to browse!

Merry Christmas to all!!
  • Fahadm88 likes this

#17 Fahadm88

Fahadm88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

My prob with the g-sensor is solved, had to change settings in screen (accelerometer), don´t know which are the differences between the 2 given options? Could anyone take me to the light?

So which one are you using right now? Default or the one for games ? Coz Neither does anything on mine and g-sensor based games are just a no no for me :(

#18 solman

solman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

So which one are you using right now? Default or the one for games ? Coz Neither does anything on mine and g-sensor based games are just a no no for me :(

Using the default one not the one that says more games or something like this. Now the game "speed racing" is working, car not crashing to the left!
So think you have to try different games,change config and try again....

Happy Christmas!

#19 PhoenixUK

PhoenixUK

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for your wonderful explanation, sorry about the wifi prob...hope you´ll be able to solve it, please post. So I think at the moment its better to wait with an update.
Is there anybody who flashed and has the same probs?
Another thing yesterday I tried the opera mobile browser, I can recommend it for everyone, it is much much faster than firefox.....now its delicious to browse!

Merry Christmas to all!!

Hi Sol,

I contacted the supplier about me flashing the 4.1.1 JB and they replied with the following;

That Jelly Bean firmware is only for the earlier batch of Legend. Ainol
switched wifi chipset on the newer batches and are yet to release an
updated firmware with the new wifi drivers built in.

If you did flash the firmware on our site it would be Jelly Bean but
wifi on the tablet wouldn't work.

When Ainol release the updated firmware we will mirror it on our site,
and post it on the Support page. It should be over the Christmas holiday.

So that explains why my sons WiFi won't turn on but no biggy for now, I can put all his films on by USB and just wait for the Ainol JB with correct WiFi drivers. I did also email Ainol last night after posting here, so I will see if I hear anything back from them and maybe my WiFi issue will shove them a long just enough to make sure they get the update out over the Xmas period, as the supplier seems to believe to be the case.

I'm afraid I can't help advise you with the differences between the two given options but hope you get to the bottom of it.

Regards,
Rob

#20 dejan13

dejan13

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Can I root this tablet somehow?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users