• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

How do we use the firmware when its in 2 parts ?

The rock chip tools won't load it.

We usable use one single "update" file.

Do assist to be more specific.
While We appreciate your sharing, but do put yourself into other's position.
Not every one sees it will naturally know what to do.

Do Spare a thoughts - Thanks :)

Whatever one post to share- We must assume the other reader are quite ignorant.
Do give guides and steps if possible. Those whom are already expert level can skip certain part of the info.

The kasty firm ware for this cube U18GT2 dual core Rock chip rk3066 is good and stable.

Thanks again and best regards.

1.06 Firmware from Cube (2 files):
http://www.mediafire...7dhc53qpc3xzly7
http://www.mediafire...lcul58w4ch6est4

This is the latest Jelly Bean Software released on 1/6/2013. So far I like, it's not missing as much as the previous firmware I was running which was probably 6-months old. Working on a script for it at this time.

#22 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

How do we use the firmware when its in 2 parts ?

The rock chip tools won't load it.

We usable use one single "update" file.

Do assist to be more specific.
While We appreciate your sharing, but do put yourself into other's position.
Not every one sees it will naturally know what to do.

Do Spare a thoughts - Thanks :)

Whatever one post to share- We must assume the other reader are quite ignorant.
Do give guides and steps if possible. Those whom are already expert level can skip certain part of the info.

The kasty firm ware for this cube U18GT2 dual core Rock chip rk3066 is good and stable.

Thanks again and best regards.

Yeah, it's a 7zip split compressed file, which means you just extract starting with the first file and with the second in the same directory, then the img file is in that extracted version. My feeling is that if you don't know that then you probably should not choose to update this way, because you're likely to have a lot of headaches.

I'm not here to hold hands at this point, if you want to, you can...

I wouldn't want to assume you're ignorant... Me and you are the only 2 people that have these tablets, so no need to post it for anyone else.

What is the "kasty firm ware"?
My Current Tablets:
Renesas Dual/A9 Android 2.2
Rexing V7/Android 4.0.3 (basically a A10 Ployer Momo9)
Cube U18GT Elite--RK3066 Dual Core

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SausageScript for the RK3066 tablets, based on the Cube U18GT 1.06 firmware, still useful for many RK3066 tablets and possibly others

Guide to extended market access, updated on occaision useful for many Android versions

If I helped you, click here to help me, buy me a beer, or some coffee.

SD classifieds
I have a Renesas Rena3 and Momo9 tablets. PM me if you would like to buy one, and I'll give you a deal.

#23 clearcutamerica

clearcutamerica

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I have one of these tablets on the way, I have a jellytime hd desire htc phone so I shall be trying any new firmware options that come out.

#24 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I have one of these tablets on the way, I have a jellytime hd desire htc phone so I shall be trying any new firmware options that come out.

Welcome to the club! Looks like the latest is still 1.06. So far I think it's a great tablet for the cost. The chargers that ship with most of them are lacking, but beyond that very few issues so far on mine.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SausageScript for the RK3066 tablets, based on the Cube U18GT 1.06 firmware, still useful for many RK3066 tablets and possibly others

Guide to extended market access, updated on occaision useful for many Android versions

SD classifieds
I have a Renesas Rena3 and Momo9 tablets. PM me if you would like to buy one, and I'll give you a deal.

#25 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

YES its true.

The charger that came with my Cube is really bad.
It looks good. Seem to be able to charge but goes on and off.
Initially I still thought its not the charger and got a bit frustrated.

After replacing another same rate charger - 5 Volts and 2 amp. It charge very stably and it have work very fine so far.

HDMI output to my big TV playing HD media is very sharp and clear with NO lag at all.

I downloaded HD 1080P clips from youtube and test the graphic quality and the video play back quality.
Very good so far.

As our dear friend fatesausage have mentioned. Its usually the bad charger that come with the set give new users some headache and doubts.
I still don't understand why they sent bad charger with the purchase despite countles mention online about bad charger come with China made tbalet - its still ongoing.

Don't get that China supplier mentality. Its like becoming normal.

Hope they can give new future buyers a better charger - so that it don't give them the post order misery like many of us went through.

This cube U18GT2 dual core rockchip rk3066 is quite a good low cost dual core tablet so far as testified by many users.
Still the common feedback is BAD Charger. :)

Cheers.

Welcome to the club! Looks like the latest is still 1.06. So far I think it's a great tablet for the cost. The chargers that ship with most of them are lacking, but beyond that very few issues so far on mine.

#26 Cubedcat

Cubedcat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

HI, New here. I got the Cube U18GT about 3 weeks ago from Lightake (it took 7 weeks to get it). So far it seems pretty good. A few things I've noticed though:

1.It gets very hot on the bottom left, especially when I used it with the HDMI connection to my TV. Really HOT! Also it gets pretty warm using wireless streaming to my Roku.

2.When the battery gets down to around 28-30% I better charge it right away because I've had it drop precipitously to 1 or 2%.
Once I've had it turn off, reboot itself sort of, then after it was charged, not turn on properly -showed 0% battery (my battery widget was black) and no wifi. Finally turned it off, let it sit 10min and rebooted and it took a few minutes before all was well again.

#27 MikeSD

MikeSD

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

New here as well. When I first used it, the battery indicator was pretty flaky as well (going from 14% to 1% in an instant). I was kind of expecting that, because a lot of cheap tablets seem to do that. I then let it charge for something like 5 hours (it was sitting at 99% for quite a while) and discharged it in one go (3:30 hours of YouTube playing, screen brightness at 50%). This may have helped, because the indicator doesn't seem to jump around as much. Maybe it adapts to the voltage curve of the tablet, or maybe I just got lucky.

Anyhow, curiosity got the better of me and I opened mine to check out the inside. Posting the pictures here because they may come in handy for someone.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

imgur album link

Notes:
-The clips are pretty fragile and I broke two of them while opening mine. You want to lift the rear cover away from the other half to avoid that. Probably best to start in the middle of one of the long sides. I used a thin laminated card in one of the corners to get in between the two halfs.
-There doesn't appear to be any space for a larger battery. The current one is 143 mm by 57 mm, probably about 4 mm thick.
-There's an unused speaker output in the upper right corner. It's live, there's just no speaker connected to it. It should be possible to add a second speaker and improve the sound quality quite a bit. Stock speaker is 22 mm x 9 mm. Does someone know of any cell phone speakers that may fit? The Motorola MB525 speaker looks like it might be small enough. A wider speaker could be used if you're willing to modify the case a bit, but it can only be 9 mm tall.
  • fatesausage likes this

#28 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

WoW Mike,

Thanks so much for sharing this very valuable information.

Its very interesting. I can't find ways to open it as there was no screws. No indication on how to go about even if one wants to try. WAS Afraid of breaking it and unable to put it back if force it to open. So did not tried. Asked around , but no one responded yet until your post.

Thanks a lot for this - it at least give us insight of how it looks inside :)

Hopefully someone besides fakesausage can help improve the script for us to enhance its functionality in future :)

Seeing more people sharing infos - its a good feeling.

Looking forward.

Regards

New here as well. When I first used it, the battery indicator was pretty flaky as well (going from 14% to 1% in an instant). I was kind of expecting that, because a lot of cheap tablets seem to do that. I then let it charge for something like 5 hours (it was sitting at 99% for quite a while) and discharged it in one go (3:30 hours of YouTube playing, screen brightness at 50%). This may have helped, because the indicator doesn't seem to jump around as much. Maybe it adapts to the voltage curve of the tablet, or maybe I just got lucky.

Anyhow, curiosity got the better of me and I opened mine to check out the inside. Posting the pictures here because they may come in handy for someone.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

imgur album link

Notes:
-The clips are pretty fragile and I broke two of them while opening mine. You want to lift the rear cover away from the other half to avoid that. Probably best to start in the middle of one of the long sides. I used a thin laminated card in one of the corners to get in between the two halfs.
-There doesn't appear to be any space for a larger battery. The current one is 143 mm by 57 mm, probably about 4 mm thick.
-There's an unused speaker output in the upper right corner. It's live, there's just no speaker connected to it. It should be possible to add a second speaker and improve the sound quality quite a bit. Stock speaker is 22 mm x 9 mm. Does someone know of any cell phone speakers that may fit? The Motorola MB525 speaker looks like it might be small enough. A wider speaker could be used if you're willing to modify the case a bit, but it can only be 9 mm tall.

#29 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

If We are able to remove the connection for the screen.

Just pondering If we can change the screen to an IPS type ?

Any idea ?

But if We could, wonders will an IPS screen helps to improve the screen image say - more clear / sharper, more HD like image ?

Thanks.

Edited by wahwhat, 27 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#30 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'd say you might as well purchase a device with an IPS screen, rather than upgrading this one. Unless you want to spend a few hours getting the drivers right, making sure the firmware isn't upgraded on the screen so that touch is inverted, etc. Of course you may be able to find a tablet with similar hardware and then the touchscreen is usually one of the biggest differences among China tablets, so therefore you might have one of the other cube 7" tablets...
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#31 clearcutamerica

clearcutamerica

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I was getting ready to flash the cube to v1.06 but already came with the updates I have had it 2 weeks, so I am very happy with the current sofware it came with.

I have been able to run any game I downloaded, but the battery life is rather short especially with the intensive games.
the screen blinks or flashes when the battery is low, and then operates normally once I plug it in.

the screen isn't as bright as a nexus, but seems the performance is at least close.

#32 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Noted. Thanks.

I'd say you might as well purchase a device with an IPS screen, rather than upgrading this one. Unless you want to spend a few hours getting the drivers right, making sure the firmware isn't upgraded on the screen so that touch is inverted, etc. Of course you may be able to find a tablet with similar hardware and then the touchscreen is usually one of the biggest differences among China tablets, so therefore you might have one of the other cube 7" tablets...

#33 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Alright :)

I was getting ready to flash the cube to v1.06 but already came with the updates I have had it 2 weeks, so I am very happy with the current sofware it came with.

I have been able to run any game I downloaded, but the battery life is rather short especially with the intensive games.
the screen blinks or flashes when the battery is low, and then operates normally once I plug it in.

the screen isn't as bright as a nexus, but seems the performance is at least close.

#34 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

The cube's official firmware downloading website is a pure Nonsense. Like some kind of bad jokes.

When a user wants to download a firmware, you will have to go through loads of website advertisement pops up all over the place.
And when you eventually managed to download the firmware, when you download half way after a long wait, it gets cut off and you must start over - again , facing all those nonsense pop up ads again. Quite a nightmare. A real nonsense amazingly and embarrassingly to say - it is cube's original firmware website some more . It makes their users go through such bombardment of spamming ads all over. You rarely come across an (OEM) original product support site making its users going through all those process just to get the latest firmwares.

That give a bit of impression on cube's company in general.
Its like they don't really value its customers.
They probably intended to collect advertising cash from all those advertisers. (I guess)
and making their customers go through all those bombardment of ads.

Very lousy feeling going to their site to just get the latest firmware. Its really crazy.

Using chrome, its impossible to enter the verification code. When you click on the box, again some ads pops out. :(

Was only able to enter code with Mozilla browser. :).. and the download is no guarantee to complete on the first few tries :)
The process of getting the firmware from their site can be quite miserable indeed.

Quite sad - unless some kind soul managed to get the firmware and upload to other free online file sharing site and share them so many of us would be save from those torturing time getting official firmwares.

Edited by wahwhat, 04 February 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#35 Cubedcat

Cubedcat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

I decided to turn off my Cube for the night with the battery showing about 50% charge. This is the first time in a couple of weeks I turned it off.
This morning when I rebooted the battery was down to 13% with the battery critical notice up. How can this be? The thing was OFF overnight.

Edited by Cubedcat, 09 February 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#36 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Anything related to power on this particular tablet is buggy. It's obviously got a cheaper battery than the other 7" cube tablets, and possibly smaller. That's it's one downfall in the long haul, is the battery, charger, and charging in general. I've had a few times it was at 50% and then suddenly it's cutting off on me, just a few minutes after I think I've got plenty of battery. However, it seems if you'll let it charge fully, or overnight, then it will usually be more predictable on the battery life. The biggest problems with chinese tablets are the battery and charger related ones. Too many china tabs come with sub-standard batteries and chargers, then not including USB charging just compounds the situation.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#37 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

I decided to turn off my Cube for the night with the battery showing about 50% charge. This is the first time in a couple of weeks I turned it off.
This morning when I rebooted the battery was down to 13% with the battery critical notice up. How can this be? The thing was OFF overnight.

BTW, unless yours is different (maybe different firmware) I've found no way to turn the tablet "OFF" and charge it, accept maybe in upgrade mode with a USB cable plugged in as well as the power cable. Keep in mind this thing doesn't and won't charge via USB.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#38 Cubedcat

Cubedcat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

To turn it off I pressed the power button until the little window came up with turn power off -yes or cancel. I said yes. I did this because it's probably wise to reboot the tablet every once in awhile. I did not try to charge it with the power off. I know it does not usb charge. As I said, while it was off the battery dropped from about 50% to 13%.

#39 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

I have some news to report that I've learned over the last few days:

1. CWM posted earlier in the OP does not work with firmware version 1.06. I haven't found another version, but would hope that maybe there may be one for the U20GT to come out soon, which is where the last one came from.

2. There's a tool called RKDeviceManager that has a real simple user interface and works great for installing new ROMs.

3. Hope to have the next version of Sausage for firmware 1.06 posted in the next few days. With several enhancements to the standard 1.06 firmware, including assisted driver installation.

Also, wondering what everyone else thinks about the 1.06 firmware. Is it missing anything? I've found that the RK3066 1.06 and up firmwares may have buggy wifi. The fix to this is to change the sleep policy to "never". Don't know how good it works yet, but certainly will cause extra battery drain I believe. Outside of that and the normal power related issues (with battery and charging on all RK3066 tablets) I've not found any other issues.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#40 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've updated the SausageScript post with a version for firmware 1.06, works with other tablets too if you don't use option 5, rather use option 5.1.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds