51 replies to this topic

#1 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

My newest tablet is the Cube U18GT Elite, an RK3066 SOC. There's another U18GT, that's the old 2918 Rockchip tablet, then the Elite is an RK3066. Haven't had it for long, but will test it and hopefully use it to break into the RK3066/RK3xxx platform. Anyone else that has one of these, or has seen one, hoping to hear more from you?

Here's a few links with some info:
Vendor Page for tablet

Download Page For Cube Tablets

Install Windows ADB Drivers for your U18GT Elite

I used Super One-Click to root the U18GT Elite earlier. I first chose "Shell Root" then I chose "Root". Not sure you have to go in that order, but that's what worked for me. May be necessary to change rootfs entry in init.rc. Here's the site for the software: Super One-Click

Haven't gotten into this yet, but found a post about being able to install any RK3066 ROM using the kernel from your tablet, in this case the U18GT-E Boot any ROM

Here's a thread on a possible Cyanogenmod 10 port for RK3066 tablets.

ClockworkMod seems to work and can be downloaded here U20GT CWM --THIS WILL BRICK FIRMWARE VERSION 1.06 (JELLYBEAN), BUT HAS WORKED ON 1.02 FIRMWARE RELEASES

I've posted a RK3066 version of SausageScript here

My Evawhachaneed collection of tools for the U18GT. Includes drivers, rooting, manual, and flashing tools.

Edited by fatesausage, 24 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

• popopo likes this
My Current Tablets:
Renesas Dual/A9 Android 2.2
Rexing V7/Android 4.0.3 (basically a A10 Ployer Momo9)
Cube U18GT Elite--RK3066 Dual Core

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SausageScript for the RK3066 tablets, based on the Cube U18GT 1.06 firmware, still useful for many RK3066 tablets and possibly others

Guide to extended market access, updated on occaision useful for many Android versions

If I helped you, click here to help me, buy me a beer, or some coffee.

SD classifieds
I have a Renesas Rena3 and Momo9 tablets. PM me if you would like to buy one, and I'll give you a deal.

#2 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

OK, have gathered some useful information. Was able to connect the tablet via Windows, and am running SausageScript (for A10 tablets) at the moment. Of course option 5 doesn't work, as well as the options specific to the A10 tablets. However I can change bootanimations, reboot, load apps, and backup files, which means I'm well on my way to having a lot of fun with this tablet. Also, have not found any drawbacks to this tablet so far. Battery life seems to be fine, boots fast, and is responsive as any other Android device.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SausageScript for the RK3066 tablets, based on the Cube U18GT 1.06 firmware, still useful for many RK3066 tablets and possibly others

Guide to extended market access, updated on occaision useful for many Android versions

SD classifieds
I have a Renesas Rena3 and Momo9 tablets. PM me if you would like to buy one, and I'll give you a deal.

#3 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

HI,

Me too . just got one of this cube U18GT-2 dual core rk3066 Rockchip Tablet.

Hopefully can get some help from expert here.

Looking forward.

#4 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hi,

any idea , is the Nokia charger same plug size s this cube u18gt-2?

Can that Nokia hand-phone wall charger be use to charge this cube tablet ?

Please advise.

And where can we buy a USB to charge head connector ?
Roughly how much will they cost and will the charging be as fast as the AC to dc adapter charging ?

Thanks

#5 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Its sad to own a tablet that don't have a large following.

Last time when I own that Ainol NOVO 7A. The forum was so lively with so many help from users all over.

This cube - when you have some questions - its like shouting at the desert and no one hears you :(

A big world of difference owning one that is very popular and owning something that is not as popular.

Its very difficult to get info and help from others when you encounter problem.

SO its good to won something that is very popular in the community - when you need co fellow support - you have not much problem.
Owning a Cube tab - its like one in a zillion - call no one answer. Shout no one hears. Fall no one helps you. Its really like one on an island. You are on your own when you face problem and no one can or are able to help you.

It seems when owner have problem they just bring to their shop not talking online. Not much sharing.

Though cube is one of the top brand in china yet - not easy to get help except in its own cube manufacturer/sellers forum...very sad.

#6 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

HI,

Me too . just got one of this cube U18GT-2 dual core rk3066 Rockchip Tablet.

Hopefully can get some help from expert here.

Looking forward.

So they are the same tablet. Kind of like the Momo9 had several versions, even at the beginning. Probably just marketing.

Hi,

any idea , is the Nokia charger same plug size s this cube u18gt-2?

Can that Nokia hand-phone wall charger be use to charge this cube tablet ?

Please advise.

And where can we buy a USB to charge head connector ?
Roughly how much will they cost and will the charging be as fast as the AC to dc adapter charging ?

Thanks

What Nokia charger are you talking about?

Are you saying USB charging doesn't work?

Its sad to own a tablet that don't have a large following.

Last time when I own that Ainol NOVO 7A. The forum was so lively with so many help from users all over.

This cube - when you have some questions - its like shouting at the desert and no one hears you :(

A big world of difference owning one that is very popular and owning something that is not as popular.

Its very difficult to get info and help from others when you encounter problem.

SO its good to won something that is very popular in the community - when you need co fellow support - you have not much problem.
Owning a Cube tab - its like one in a zillion - call no one answer. Shout no one hears. Fall no one helps you. Its really like one on an island. You are on your own when you face problem and no one can or are able to help you.

It seems when owner have problem they just bring to their shop not talking online. Not much sharing.

Though cube is one of the top brand in china yet - not easy to get help except in its own cube manufacturer/sellers forum...very sad.

I think this tablet just came out around November, and replaced some of the early cube models. One good thing is that it is an RK30XX tablet, so you'll be able to resolve issues maybe not in this sub-forum, but in other forums on this same forum which already have loads of RK3066 tablets. I have a feeling they'll at least be a small following for this tablet soon, you're just one of the first. So far the one I have, I like mostly, but may be kind of buggy. However I have heard a lot of RK3066 tablets that have similar issues already. Please post if you have something that fixes problems on this tablet, or if you've found something. One of the drawbacks to this platform (RK3066) is that I haven't found Cyangonmod being developed for it, but as long as they release firmware updates, that's fine with me. Android tablets are much like PCs, in that there will likely be several hardware systems to troubleshoot and not many times will you find the same hardware twice. However, for the price it seems to be a great tablet to me so far. Still need to test some more.
  • popopo likes this
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#7 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

OK Thanks alot.

The Nokia charger AC-> DC charger - not the usb one its the AC adapter and having about the same size as the cube charger head.

I understand and confirm this Cube tablets only can charge via Its DC charger head - NOT the micro USB.
Micro USB is only for data transfer.

Of course I wish IO could but after searching around..many say and also confirm that, this cube U18GT-2 only charge via the home power socket to the charger socket on the set itself.

Also, any idea how to trick google market to allow us to install whatapps and viber apps on the tablet ?

It says device not compatible..for both..but skype was ok

Anyway ? like when I used Ainol Novo 7A. manage to use whatsapps and viber no problem...

a patch or something to change the model and make... etc etc..?

can someone create one ?

Thanks

OK, have gathered some useful information. Was able to connect the tablet via Windows, and am running SausageScript (for A10 tablets) at the moment. Of course option 5 doesn't work, as well as the options specific to the A10 tablets. However I can change bootanimations, reboot, load apps, and backup files, which means I'm well on my way to having a lot of fun with this tablet. Also, have not found any drawbacks to this tablet so far. Battery life seems to be fine, boots fast, and is responsive as any other Android device.

Edited by wahwhat, 28 December 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#8 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

OK Thanks alot.

The Nokia charger AC-> DC charger - not the usb one its the AC adapter and having about the same size as the cube charger head.

I understand and confirm this Cube tablets only can charge via Its DC charger head - NOT the micro USB.
Micro USB is only for data transfer.

Of course I wish IO could but after searching around..many say and also confirm that, this cube U18GT-2 only charge via the home power socket to the charger socket on the set itself.

Also, any idea how to trick google market to allow us to install whatapps and viber apps on the tablet ?

It says device not compatible..for both..but skype was ok

Anyway ? like when I used Ainol Novo 7A. manage to use whatsapps and viber no problem...

a patch or something to change the model and make... etc etc..?

can someone create one ?

Thanks

The charging is typical of most of the RK3066 tablets, the USB port is not for charging on these SOCs, or most of them that I've seen. So any RK3066 tablet you have to use the charger with is my understanding, and USB doesn't work or is very slow to charge.

I found this below in another thread. 700 something on a search for gameloft before the change, 1173 on a search after. You'll have to clear data on Play Store and Google services framework to see the changes immediately, and you may also have to clear dalvik and cache.

BEFORE
ro.product.model=U30GT-W
ro.product.brand=rk30sdk
ro.product.name=rk30sdk
ro.product.device=rk30sdk

AFTER
ro.product.model=
ro.product.brand=
ro.product.name=
ro.product.device=

There's a lot of other ways to get more results from the market, but this is a good start. I've got a market hack thread on my signature, it's 1 year old, but worth looking at if you really want a market. Keep in mind it's a good idea to shoot for an ICS market over a GB market too, for better compatibility. However GB market will likely get you more results...

So far I like this tablet, but it suffers from RK3066 issues, like charging and battery.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#9 ur1deadman

ur1deadman

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

I just got 3 of these in the mail the other day.... having trouble running a lot of apps because the market says they are incompatible. Would the guide in your signature help? Also, I'm guessing no one has made a clean firmware for this? Without the junk and everything? Just trying to get them running well for my kids.
How do I root? Can you link to a guide?
Also, you're running sausagescript? For A10s? This is Rk3066 though?

Edited by ur1deadman, 30 December 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#10 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thaks alot fatesausage for the help and info.

There is a link here for the cube U18GT-2. A firm ware that upgrade the set to Jelly bean with auto root the device.

There is also some nice tools on this forum.

Great help for people whom needs help.
Must be an owner himself sharing what he found. Only the cube U18GT-2 dual core rk3066 set.

Check :

Cube Info and help forum link.

I just got 3 of these in the mail the other day.... having trouble running a lot of apps because the market says they are incompatible. Would the guide in your signature help? Also, I'm guessing no one has made a clean firmware for this? Without the junk and everything? Just trying to get them running well for my kids.

#11 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I don't quite get you. Whats the number for ?

================????============what is that ? can you be more clear on this? Many thaks.===
I found this below in another thread. 700 something on a search for gameloft before the change, 1173 on a search after. You'll have to clear data on Play Store and Google services framework to see the changes immediately, and you may also have to clear dalvik and cache.

BEFORE
ro.product.model=U30GT-W
ro.product.brand=rk30sdk
ro.product.name=rk30sdk

AFTER
ro.product.model=
ro.product.brand=
ro.product.name=
ro.product.device=
=======================================

My cube U18GT-2 dual core Rockchip rk3066 tablet, whenever I need a charge, the initial time of charging when I plug in the charging cable. The set will goes on and off- flashing power low- please plug in charger(BUT the charger is already plugged into the charging head and the adapter is already "ON" yet it still repeatedly asking for charger to be plugged in. It would carry on till a while later. Than the charging indicator stable down. Than it will charge till 99% and stays there forever.

I will have to turn off my set. Restart than the charging state will indicate as "Charged".

If this are all firm ware cause. Why can't cube company offers a patch to resolve this.

besides the charging problem. There is no other problem. The set is nice . smooth. On occasions it doesn't response to touches (this i guess is the apps problem not the hardware side.

Only problem so far is the charging initial stage - going on and off, asking for charger to be plugged in.
Hopefully this matter can be overcome. Auto on-ning and off-fing the set too frequent automatically during the charger plug-in time might be damaging to the battery's life span. And when the battery is a Li-ON built in battery. When it goes dead or having problme in future, what can we do ?

Please advise. Are we able to get it replaced ? say to a higher AH battery to prolong the time use per charge.

Thanks.

The charging is typical of most of the RK3066 tablets, the USB port is not for charging on these SOCs, or most of them that I've seen. So any RK3066 tablet you have to use the charger with is my understanding, and USB doesn't work or is very slow to charge.

BEFORE
ro.product.model=U30GT-W
ro.product.brand=rk30sdk
ro.product.name=rk30sdk

AFTER
ro.product.model=
ro.product.brand=
ro.product.name=
ro.product.device=

There's a lot of other ways to get more results from the market, but this is a good start. I've got a market hack thread on my signature, it's 1 year old, but worth looking at if you really want a market. Keep in mind it's a good idea to shoot for an ICS market over a GB market too, for better compatibility. However GB market will likely get you more results...

So far I like this tablet, but it suffers from RK3066 issues, like charging and battery.

Edited by wahwhat, 01 January 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#12 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

You can change the build.prop and get a considerable amount more games when you leave empty values as described above, and below...

There has not been a sausagescript released for this tablet, however I'm working on one that will remove the mostly Chinese language apps and make some minor changes, it may be work with other RK3066 tablets as well.

I don't quite get you. Whats the number for ?

================????============what is that ? can you be more clear on this? Many thaks.===

BEFORE
ro.product.model=U30GT-W
ro.product.brand=rk30sdk
ro.product.name=rk30sdk

AFTER
ro.product.model=
ro.product.brand=
ro.product.name=
ro.product.device=
=======================================

My cube U18GT-2 dual core Rockchip rk3066 tablet, whenever I need a charge, the initial time of charging when I plug in the charging cable. The set will goes on and off- flashing power low- please plug in charger(BUT the charger is already plugged into the charging head and the adapter is already "ON" yet it still repeatedly asking for charger to be plugged in. It would carry on till a while later. Than the charging indicator stable down. Than it will charge till 99% and stays there forever.

I will have to turn off my set. Restart than the charging state will indicate as "Charged".

If this are all firm ware cause. Why can't cube company offers a patch to resolve this.

besides the charging problem. There is no other problem. The set is nice . smooth. On occasions it doesn't response to touches (this i guess is the apps problem not the hardware side.

Only problem so far is the charging initial stage - going on and off, asking for charger to be plugged in.
Hopefully this matter can be overcome. Auto on-ning and off-fing the set too frequent automatically during the charger plug-in time might be damaging to the battery's life span. And when the battery is a Li-ON built in battery. When it goes dead or having problme in future, what can we do ?

Please advise. Are we able to get it replaced ? say to a higher AH battery to prolong the time use per charge.

Thanks.

See this thread:
http://www.slatedroi...gle-play-store/

Essentially you change the values in the build.prop and you'll see more apps once you do.

Charging is an issue with most of the RK3066 tablets. You may be able to replace the battery, but it would require soldiering most likely. The tablet is so thin already that replacing the battery probably would not show that much of a gain in battery life. The biggest change you can make is on the wifi scanning in the build.prop which is usually around 10 seconds, probably increasing that to as much as 10 minutes would help increase your battery life a good bit, especially if you stay in the same location all the time and don't really need scanning. There's several other ways to save battery in android, just doing a google search should help you find those.

As far as rooting this tablet, I used Super One-Click to root one the other day and it seemed to work fine. I'll try to post more information later as to what I did to root it. There's a thread here on Slatedroid for other RK3066 tablets, that talks about rooting, you may find some answers there.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#13 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

If We want to try to check inside the tablet's circuit, how to go about ?

This Cube U18GT-2 dual core tablet got no screws. Any clue on how to open it up without damaging it and can fix back properly after.

How to replace its battery ?

Can help post some video examplee how to ply open the tablet to check for abnormality inside it ?

Please advise.

Since there was a suggestion to replace its battery. Would really need to know how to firstly open the tbalet up naked :).

Many Thanks.

You can change the build.prop and get a considerable amount more games when you leave empty values as described above, and below...

There has not been a sausagescript released for this tablet, however I'm working on one that will remove the mostly Chinese language apps and make some minor changes, it may be work with other RK3066 tablets as well.

See this thread:
http://www.slatedroi...gle-play-store/

Essentially you change the values in the build.prop and you'll see more apps once you do.

Charging is an issue with most of the RK3066 tablets. You may be able to replace the battery, but it would require soldiering most likely. The tablet is so thin already that replacing the battery probably would not show that much of a gain in battery life. The biggest change you can make is on the wifi scanning in the build.prop which is usually around 10 seconds, probably increasing that to as much as 10 minutes would help increase your battery life a good bit, especially if you stay in the same location all the time and don't really need scanning. There's several other ways to save battery in android, just doing a google search should help you find those.

As far as rooting this tablet, I used Super One-Click to root one the other day and it seemed to work fine. I'll try to post more information later as to what I did to root it. There's a thread here on Slatedroid for other RK3066 tablets, that talks about rooting, you may find some answers there.

#14 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Can We swap another spare charger of 5 Volts 3 amperes to use for charging the cube tablet? . But the charging head doesn't fit into the cube one.

Is it advisable to cut off the plug head on the spoil charger and connect it to the spare charger mentioned above.

Will that work ?

But the spare charger is of 5.1 volt DC and 3 amperes.
Will that damage the tablet circuit as the requirement for the cube tablet is just 5 volt DC and 2 amperes.

Will 1 ampere more cost any damage to the cube tablet. need to confirm it urgently so that i could act.
The tablet is currently not responding to charge from the original charger . :(

Thanks

Edited by wahwhat, 06 January 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#15 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Good news. This is the latest custom rom for this Cube U18GT-2 dual core rock-chip rk-3066 tablet.

This firmware will upgrade your tablet to ver1.06 jelly bean and at the same time will root your tablet.

The firm ware can be found here. Get the custom version, easiest to download.

JB rooted firmware

Good luck.

Edited by wahwhat, 07 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#16 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Good news. This is the latest custom rom for this Cube U18GT-2 dual core rock-chip rk-3066 tablet.

This firmware will upgrade your tablet to ver1.06 jelly bean and at the same time will root your tablet.

The firm ware can be found here. Get the custom version, easiest to download.

JB rooted firmware

Good luck.

Hey where did you get that? Does it work any better for charging? Is it rooted? How does it work? I'm looking for a version of CWM for these tablets, small following here, but we might have quite a few soon. Anyway I'll download it.

As for your earlier questions, I haven't been able to open mine up, however I there's a place I can pry into on the bottom. Would open it, but not yet...

2 amps should be plenty, in my opinion for any Android device. However the fact it won't charge while off is a kicker. I think as long as the voltage matches up, then it doesn't matter what the amps are so much. Maybe that's the problem, the charger is not the right voltage, or spec. Wonder what the SOC calls for? I would not go cutting wires right now, unless you're feeling bricking it.

Not sure that replacing the battery is the best idea. Previous tablets I've had, they've been soldiered in. So you can easily fry your board when reconnecting if you don't drain the battery first.

I've got a sausage script I can upload for the 1.02 firmware, but would love CWM to plug into the routine, so that people can have that feature. I may also try to add a root script for rooting, but have to find a sure fire method. I guess I could just go ahead and post it here if there's anyone interested.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#17 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Posted Sausage script here.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#18 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

1.06 Firmware from Cube (2 files):
http://www.mediafire...7dhc53qpc3xzly7
http://www.mediafire...lcul58w4ch6est4

This is the latest Jelly Bean Software released on 1/6/2013 from Cube. So far I like, it's not missing as much as the previous firmware I was running which was probably 6-months old. Working on a script for it at this time.

Edited by fatesausage, 11 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#19 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

why is there 2 files ?

How to do firmware upgrade when there is 2 sets of files for the same firmware ?

The one I posted is from one of the tablet website. YES. its stable and good. It upgrade the firm ware and also root the device at the same time.

I use the root verification to confirm that the device is rooted and i can use titanium backup apps.

Is the one you posted an official version from Cube ?

The one i posted is a modified version from the original can be found at ARCTABLET NEWS forum.

Do a search on "ARCTABLET NEWS" once at the forum look for cube tablet link. Its posted there.

Regards

1.06 Firmware from Cube (2 files):
http://www.mediafire...7dhc53qpc3xzly7
http://www.mediafire...lcul58w4ch6est4

This is the latest Jelly Bean Software released on 1/6/2013. So far I like, it's not missing as much as the previous firmware I was running which was probably 6-months old. Working on a script for it at this time.

• popopo likes this

#20 wahwhat

wahwhat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

My charging problem was resolved. It is due to the bad charger.

I use another spare 5.1 volt 3 ampere charger, swap the charge head over and , it charge very nicely with no intermittent off and on.

The problem is due to the faulty/no very good charger that the seller sent with the tablet.

The spare charger actually is just a power adapter for a wireless modem. But the plug head is of not the same size so I cut the plug's head of the spoil charger and reconnect it to this spare 5.1 Volt 3 ampere charger/adapter. I read somewhere online that it is OK to use a charger/adapter of higher current output capability as long as the VOLTAGE is about 5 volts or slightly more BUT not 6 or higher volts. The current rating stated on the adapter is the maximum current the charger can supply and it will not pump full rated current into the device. The device will draw its designed current level to charge its battery. The tablet stop the charging when the battery becomes fully charged.

Regards

Edited by wahwhat, 11 January 2013 - 03:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users