pipo s3

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Tried flashing from another PC, worked fine. All chinese apps are now history... :p

How were you able to flash? plugging in the USB while holding the vol down button doesn't do anything for me.

#42 Pane-g

Pane-g

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

Hi, guys! I'm from Russia, so sorry my english :) Can somebody tells me is it a glass or plastic cover of the screen?

#43 Sanj

Sanj

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

How were you able to flash? plugging in the USB while holding the vol down button doesn't do anything for me.

You need to turn the tablet off first, then plug in the usb cable and then turn the tablet on while pressing vol+. The tablet screen should remain blank. Watch your computer for the evidence of tablet turning on, as it will start installing device driver and let go of vol+ and power. As I already had the driver installed, I had to keep the device manager open on my computer to detect when windows detects the tablet. (If instead of RK30 driver, ADB driver loads, then you are in the wrong mode and you need to start again.)

It's a bit of hit and miss. If you hold the buttons too long, the tablet turns off or goes into another mode which has an andriod icon on tablet screen. Try a few times and you will get the hang of it.

#44 genek

genek

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Can anyone share what is battery life for this tablet please?

#45 snwboarder

snwboarder

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Can anyone share what is battery life for this tablet please?

For Me it 3-4 hours light use 2-3 heavy. Although I noticed that when I flashed the english firmware battery life and charge rate seemed to improve.

#46 snwboarder

snwboarder

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm selling my pipo s3 and accessories if anyone is interested.

It would come rooted and with new english firmware.
32gb (class10) sd card +sd adapter
Faux Leather Usb keyboard case
mirco usb -Cat5 lan connector
Original factory accessories

PM me for more information or if you are interested.

#47 Hokuszpokusz

Hokuszpokusz

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

For Me it 3-4 hours light use 2-3 heavy. Although I noticed that when I flashed the english firmware battery life and charge rate seemed to improve.

I installed the app called "Carat" from the google market. It sits on the tablet for some days, and after taking many samples, it will spit out a list of installed app that are draining the battery.

So far I freezed (using link2sd) an app called "RKUpdate..." and another one, I guess its name was BookShelf.... somehing (I don't have access to the tablet right now).
Ah yes, and lastly I changed the cpu governor to the "hotplug" governor using the app "No-frills CPU Control". The hotplug governor can shut down the second core completely, if its not needed - and this governor is present in the stock kernel.

Battery time seems better, but I didn't time it.

A totally unrelated question: did anyone order a tablet case? From where and what?
Its hard to order a case online - what if the case doesn't really fit the tablet?

#48 rutteger

rutteger

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

I'm selling my pipo s3 and accessories if anyone is interested.

It would come rooted and with new english firmware.
32gb (class10) sd card +sd adapter
Faux Leather Usb keyboard case
mirco usb -Cat5 lan connector
Original factory accessories

PM me for more information or if you are interested.

Out of interest why are you selling?

I installed the app called "Carat" from the google market. It sits on the tablet for some days, and after taking many samples, it will spit out a list of installed app that are draining the battery.

So far I freezed (using link2sd) an app called "RKUpdate..." and another one, I guess its name was BookShelf.... somehing (I don't have access to the tablet right now).
Ah yes, and lastly I changed the cpu governor to the "hotplug" governor using the app "No-frills CPU Control". The hotplug governor can shut down the second core completely, if its not needed - and this governor is present in the stock kernel.

Battery time seems better, but I didn't time it.

A totally unrelated question: did anyone order a tablet case? From where and what?
Its hard to order a case online - what if the case doesn't really fit the tablet?

Be good to know how much more battery life you get from it. Installed better battery stats on mine. Not seeing significant drain when the screen is off, just looks like the somewhat underspecced battery gets hammered with screen on. Shame.

Ordered a generic 7" tablet sleeve off a well known auction site. Fits fine.

#49 snwboarder

snwboarder

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Out of interest why are you selling?

I bought it because I wanted to see if I had a need for a tablet device (without having to spend 200+ name brand). And I've come to the conclusion that while it's a great little device a laptop and a smartphone more than cover my needs.
Aka the first few days I played with my tablet a lot but I always seems to pick my phone over the tablet.

#50 CiceroZ

CiceroZ

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi, I just ordered a Pipo s3 and now I just discovered this thread.

I had some questions for some current owners. Fist is the resolution stretched like in the S1 version, or has that been corrected and it's normal on this one?

And second, has anyone tried the solution outlined in the video below with any success for the battery?

I'd really appreciate some feedback! Thanks guys!

#51 SaltyDog

SaltyDog

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I ordered mine from ahappydeal and received it within 4 days of ordering it.It's actually a very nice tablet. However the specs on the website said BT was built-in but there isn't a bt setting on here period am trying to get to the bottom of this now and still no word yet after 3 days.The construction of the device is pretty good compared to the first tablets coming out of china. Flashed the English ROM since the TNT Rom has an issues with the Launcher crashing.Other than that the tablet is pretty responsive.

#52 rutteger

rutteger

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

AFAIK the youtube video you've linked to recommends an app which delete the batterystats file. This has been proved elsewhere (by one of the google head devs) to basically not work.

The battery on this device just doesn't have quite enough juice sadly.

Anyhow. Anyone taken theirs apart yet. Volume down has stopped working and power is now unreliable. Think I'm going to return to banggood but if it's an easy fix....

#53 CiceroZ

CiceroZ

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

so what would you say is the average battery life on heavy use. Also does the screen proportion look fine? The S1 apparently stretched the contents and made circles into ovals. thanks.

#54 Hokuszpokusz

Hokuszpokusz

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

AFAIK the youtube video you've linked to recommends an app which delete the batterystats file. This has been proved elsewhere (by one of the google head devs) to basically not work.

The battery on this device just doesn't have quite enough juice sadly.

Anyhow. Anyone taken theirs apart yet. Volume down has stopped working and power is now unreliable. Think I'm going to return to banggood but if it's an easy fix....

Sad to hear about the buttons. You're the second to complain about a broken button in this very thread.
The buttons on mine don't look sturdy at all. I'm using the onscreen volume buttons instead.

If anyone interested: I ordered this case from banggood.com:
P3100 case

after some googling around it seemed to me that the Pipo S3 has nearly the same measurements as the Samsung Galaxy Tablet P3100. The case arrived yesterday, it fits. Of course the camera, speaker cutouts are in the wrong place, and I had to cut some holes for the charging hole and power button.

#55 Hokuszpokusz

Hokuszpokusz

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

It seems someone is making a cyanogenmod port RK3066 devices (CM10).
The Pipo S3 is mentioned in the thread:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2108704

Did anyone try it out so far?

#56 Arbalath

Arbalath

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

That does look tempting! Especially, I read there is ad-hoc support and battery life seems to be better.. Perhaps I will give this Oma fw a chance over the weekend.

Tested tablets > Ainol: Elf II, Aurora II, Crystal, Hero, Fire | Pipo: S1, S1PRo, S3, S3PRo, M9, M8Pro | Yuandao: N70s(RK3066), N70s(RK3168) | FNF Ifive: Mini x3

Would recommend any time of the day or night > Pipo M9.

#57 babadilla

babadilla

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I also ordered a S3 from aliexpress and its quite satisfying compared with its price... I flashed the english rom and rooted of course and its better i think now (launcher does not crashes, chinese apps removed, better battery life etc.) however I have two annoying problems whic i wonder if anyone else experienced??

First when i exit from some applications (i did not checked which ones one by one) its automatically goes to google search despite of main screen...

Second i cannot hide screenshot button from statusbar although i close it from settings>screenshotsettings ...

Any suggestions?...

#58 Astu

Astu

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

A week ago I switched the build.prop from my S3 with my mobile's. It booted to a black screen, so I went into recovery to find that adb wasn't workink, and I did an adb push to throw a build.prop from a firmware dump from an user of xda. As I wasn't able to pull the backup that I did from mine in /mnt/sdcard
But it booted again to a black screen.
After several days of testing and trying, I noticed that most of the stuff had been deleted. /etc/ and /xbin/ where still there. But as /system/ was deleted, I had to mount the system.img from the firmware dump and push everything to the tablet. I'm able to do adb now.
The problem is, whatever I do and wherever I put it (even /mnt/sdcard), it gets deleted everytime the tablet reboots. Even if I boot again to recovery directly (via command)

Does anyone has an idea of what could I do? The only thing that I can think that will work it continue pushing the other .imgs.

edit. I have extracted misc.img to /dev/ via dd. No luck still.

edi2. I just flashed everything with the computer.

Edited by Astu, 17 March 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#59 batosai

batosai

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

hello guys im new here. i just want to ask if is my battery are faulty? it only takes 1 - 2 hours of game time from full charge. and my s3 is new.. sorry for my bad english.