Android Tablets Forum banner

pipo s3

35K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  batosai 
#1 ·
Has anyone else ordered this tablet?

#19 ·
can you share antutu score? Also, no root, right?

#29 ·
I also received mine this morning. Initial impressions are rather good, but its quite hard to mention all the points just after few hours so just a quick summary:

I have no problems with power or volume buttons, they seem to be fitting rather nice, not loose and no rattling. I guess this can differ from tablet to tablet, perhaps it's just luck. However there is some movement in adapter plug port. But not that much it would make me worried.

I have used a lots of Ainol tablets - but as of now - Pipo build quality seems to be better. Plastic case fits good, there is no creaking sound as with some other china tablets, when you press corners.

Personally I think that power button position is really bad - on top left side, it is possible to press it accidentally.

Wifi reception is similar to my phone, laptop and is acceptable.

Firmware full of unnecessary Chinese plugins and apps, annoying but can be taken care of. During this short time of use, absolutely no crashing, smooth all the time. Gameloft games should run - at least tested Dungeon Hunter 3 - smooth, can install Dark Knight and others. Other games - NFS most wanted - smooth, Temple run 2 - smooth.

Also - there is no vibration. Not that it's necessary, but all my previous tablets had it so I guess I got used to it and now it feels strange

Antutu score similar ~11k

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is my second review (sort of) post, after some more light use of Pipo s3

Soooo.. now can also see the cons!
• This tablet sucks at multitasking. I am not sure if this is something it is supposed to do or it's my problem configuring it. By multitasking I mean that if there is big file downloading and you do something else, i.e. browse Play store, webs, switch multiple programs, in other words - lag becomes very annoying. Never experienced that in my previous tabs.

• short battery life - well never expected much from 3000Mah battery, but seriously, it's annoying. Didn't measure time but right now it works 3-4 hours tops. On half brightness. Sounds off.

• first serious software crash - woohoo! - tablet didn't want to turn on, waited about a minute, screen was black, but I could see touches (I have enabled them at dev mode). Booted up - sort of - but unlock was not working. However after reboot it turned on, except had to wait more than usual.

• cannot connect to Ad Hoc network. This is really serious issue to me. In my previous tablets I was able just to change wpa_supplicant, perhaps I'll try it here too, but wifi reception right now is really good, not sure if this can mess it up.

• screen is nice and sharp, but at big angles bright colours goes way up.

But then again, there are more pros:

• compatibility - all my usually used apps shows up as compatible.

• performs amazing. Tried Dark knight rises for short time - wouldn't say it is smooth as possible, but possible to enjoy playing it with almost no lag.

• changed fw to English version, 2013. Was not that hard, now tablet boots 2-3 times faster, and almost no bloatware! I would recommend you first thing to do once you get yours. On the down side, or it was just my case, auto rotate won't work, but I changed launcher to halo - no problems right now, and looks even better.

• rooted using pimpinez root guide and supplied link with moborobo. Took some time since drivers would not install, but few moborobo restarts helped and I could connect the tablet. Removed unnecessary stuff with titanium - works even better.

Anyway, as of now I'm still impressed by this tablet, and considering it's price and performance ratio - I'm pretty sure is one of the best you can get right now.
Antutu, taiji, quadrant, vellamo scores attached :
Font Screenshot Technology Software Number
Font Screenshot Rectangle Gadget Electronic device
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Slope Parallel
Font Technology Screenshot Terrestrial plant Gadget
Font Screenshot Technology Terrestrial plant Software

Attachments

#32 ·
Hi,

I have received a Pipo S3 this morning.

I have been playing with and its a very powerful tablet. Battery life is not good, but with a 3000mah battery I was not expecting too much.

I have found a problem when charging the tablet. When the tablet is turned on and charging at the same I have notice a screen brightness flickering. Its noticeable only if screen brightness is 70% or less. Have anyone of you notice that annoying effect ? I have also noticed that tablet barely charges if its being used. The battery does not drain, but it does not charge. I would be glad if any you can tell if your tablet also suffers from this.

Thank you very much !

#34 ·
Just received mine 2 days ago, from banggood.com.
Same here, I immediately flashed the english firmware, and rooted the tablet, so I could put droidwall on it.

The physical buttons don't look sturdy at all, so I'll use mainly the onscreen volume buttons to change the volume.

I only tried the Temple run for gpu intensive games, it works really nice.
I tried a bittorent client (utorrent). It works, but slows the tablet awfully down.

My only real complaint is the battery, as it seems to discharge really fast. Plus, if I use the tablet while on the charger, it doesn't really charge up - it seems the device uses nearly as much power as it gets from the charger... weird. But I didn't encounter any problems with the touch screen while the tablet is on the charger. Battery usage indicates around 60% of the battery is used by the screen. Which is strange, because I set the brightness to 20

Overall, the tablet seems good value for the price I paid (105 USD), if you can live with the weak battery

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can confirm that during charging there is some sort of flickering on the screen. And charging while using is basically non existent. I wonder if it's charger problem? did anyone tried charging with different charger? Mine says something K/Y, and is rated 5v 2a, but I have seen recently complains about this exact type adapter delivering only 0.5a instead 2a... But perhaps yours is different.

I tried a bittorent client (utorrent). It works, but slows the tablet awfully down.
I have noticed that there are problems with background tasks. If there is one application, tablet runs perfectly, but when it needs to be multitasking it slows down to hardly usable. What could be cause of this? Lousy firmware?

Can someone make a english pipo s3 root tutorial
There is whole topic. After you download the file look for readme.txt, it's in English.

#38 ·
Trying to flash the english firmware, once I put the tablet in firmware update mode, the tablet is recognised by windows as RK30 device and I can see from the device manager that correct driver is loaded, but RKbatchtool still does not recognise it and connected devices button in it do not turn green.

I can confirm that during charging there is some sort of flickering on the screen
Mine seems to be fine. I have not noticed any flickering. Though charging while using the tablet is quite dismal. I have portapow 2amp charger its taking ages to charge it while I am still using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.