438 replies to this topic

#41 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

Anyone know of an app out there, or how to make one, that gives my pony wings and makes its farts smell like Chanel No. 5? I didn't see anything on the NuBee thread about that.
  • mrsburnout likes this

#42 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

see... you had to bring the wall into play...

#43 BleuM&M

BleuM&M

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

[quote name='Mark Adams;57433]Anyone know of an app out there' date=' or how to make one, that gives my pony wings and makes its farts smell like Chanel No. 5? I didn't see anything on the NuBee thread about that.[/QUOTE'] Well I did find something to give my pony wings, but the farts smelled like bacon. Come to think of it, the pony sort of looked like a pig with wings. Regardless, the experience inspired me to whip up a bunch of Atomic Buffalo Turds on the grill that the neighbors scarfed up with much ado about calories and being too hot, but they didn't stop munching until they were all gone.I reflashed the pony to the 8/20 firmware modded by the 8/27 hack and am awaiting a wingless ice cream fart option.

#44 bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

[quote name='bornagainpenguin;57020]Would you like a pony too? Seriously this is like a dancing bear at the moment--it's not about how well it dances but more about the fact that it dances at all! There are no easy buttons here.Anything you want you're going to have to do the research and build it yourself. I am very appreciative that there are so many methods available to us to choose from and that people are working so diligently to make this a cheap and powerful tablet' date=' capable of doing so much more than expected by its makers--but there is definitely some assembly required here. maybe you could consider it the price of admission?The people here are very good at answering questions and pointing people to the right direction to research, but they're not going to do it for us. --bornagainpenguin[/QUOTE'] Why did this post get removed? I expected the one before this to get moved maybe, but not this one!--bornagainpenguin

#45 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:49 PM

There is now active discussion on the wall of shame.... that's, like, the 8th sign of the apocalypse...
  • mrsburnout likes this

#46 bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:08 AM

[quote name='lawman;57489]There is now active discussion on the wall of shame.... that's' date=' like, the 8th sign of the apocalypse...[/QUOTE'] An active discussion and a distinct lack of an answer to my question. Since I clearly don't understand the rules or what makes a post qualify as a thread hijack I guess I'll have to stop posting.--bornagainpenguin

#47 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:25 AM

I did a forums search for "pony bacon farts" and found this thread. I think it may be just what I'm looking for! Has anyone else tried BlueM&M's fix and can confirm it works?

#48 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

answer: I, in my judgment, used my discretion, and my authority, to remove those posts that were not linked directly to the thread's initial, stated purpose.response: ... either you're joking, or your loss. SD has a sudden rash of seniors picking on newbies, which frankly violates the board rules, and I am probably more tolerant than I should be. Some posts both pick on a newb and provide information, which presents a problem - do I edit it? I prefer not to change what another has said. Do I move it? generally... at least then I leave the sentiment intact.

#49 oilyfool

oilyfool

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:20 AM

I did a forums search for "pony bacon farts" and found this thread. I think it may be just what I'm looking for! Has anyone else tried BlueM&M's fix and can confirm it works?

Fony bacon parts - heheheheh. Maybe that's what they've constructed boththe VMC and the PDN from?

#50 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

[quote name='lawman;57616]answer: I' date=' in my judgment, used my discretion, and my authority, to remove those posts that were not linked directly to the thread's initial, stated purpose.response: ... either you're joking, or your loss. SD has a sudden rash of seniors picking on newbies, which frankly violates the board rules, and I am probably more tolerant than I should be. Some posts both pick on a newb and provide information, which presents a problem - do I edit it? I prefer not to change what another has said. Do I move it? generally... at least then I leave the sentiment intact.[/QUOTE'] So, will you be moving a good portion of your comments here then?
  • mrsburnout likes this

#51 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

Given that it's an acknowledged issue that our board is full of junk threads that are due for cleanup, I don't think it's off topic to tell people "Don't be lazy". I really don't have anything against noobs, but if every new person here makes a new thread for their startup (which seems to be the current trend), it gets to be a nightmare.

#52 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

Where my comments degenerate the conversation to the point where it's simply insulting the original poster, absolutely. In fact, I'm well represented in this thread... If you have any particular comments in mind that you'd like me to move, please pm me, so we don't cause exactly the problem we're trying to solve. The key here is that the particular thread had degenerated to the point of just delivering insults to the newb. Was he right not doing any searching? No. But if we scare off all the noobs this place becomes a circle-jerk of us old-school guys who have been around since the beginning, which is not the site's intended purpose.The point is this - if you read a newb post and think it's a stupid question, ignore it. If you want to help, help. If you think it should be merged with the 1,100 posts just like it, lmk (preferably with the url for the links you want merged to make my life slightly easier), but that's a very, very big job to perfect - I've been trying to focus on that a bit lately. Why waste your time insulting the guy and making up posts about pony bacon farts?clockworx - I agree in principle and have taken to a lightly chastising comment pointing out that a bit of searching is in order. The posts I moved are not telling people "Don't be lazy," they're making fun of the OP. If the thread degenerates to 10 posts by 5 members picking on the lazy guy, you're going to scare the lazy guy away, rather than making him less lazy. After a while, circlejerk ensues. Either help, suggest searches, or ignore it. Why waste your time insulting the guy and making up posts about pony bacon farts?

#53 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

I belong to a few forums where you'll earn a short-term probation from posting for asking questions that have been answered a million times, duplicating other threads, or making pointless threads like "Hi, I'm ____ thrilled to be here!". These forums have no problems attracting new people, and the quality of info and discussion is better for it. The issue is the overflow of pointless/repeat threads, and ignoring it and/or replying with "search more" doesn't help that issue.

#54 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

[quote name='clockworx;57689]Given that it's an acknowledged issue that our board is full of junk threads that are due for cleanup' date=' I don't think it's off topic to tell people "Don't be lazy". I really don't have anything against noobs, but if every new person here makes a new thread for their startup (which seems to be the current trend), it gets to be a nightmare.[/QUOTE'] No argument from me on most of this. Not sure if calling them lazy is the best way to go about though.

#55 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

A valid suggestion. See, I thought about using infractions, but I'm afraid of scaring the people off... I will ask the mods in the SD podcast tonight, I guess. As we get bigger (over 17,000 members at this point), there are growing pains...I really am less worried about the dup posts, because honestly, though a pain at first, if ignored they'll sink to the bottom. I worry more about clique formation and insulting the newbie. I admit one newb asked about changing the internal microsd card and I had to fight the urge to take a shot, but I moved the post to the appropriate existing thread instead.

#56 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

It's kind of a catch-22, because the more junk there is to sort through, the more useless posts crop up because people can't find anything useful.Maybe if we have one, single, stickied post that says FORUM RULES: READ THESE RULES OR BE PROBATED/BANNED, that should be enough for people to go there before posting, and if they ignore it, maybe there should be consequences. I agree that it's kind of silly to say "HAVE YOU READ ALL 37 PAGES OF THREADS?!?!", but 1 post that points to the wiki and covers posting guidelines should be enough for anyone to follow.

No argument from me on most of this. Not sure if calling them lazy is the best way to go about though.

Haha, agreed.

#57 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

[quote name='clockworx;57702]I belong to a few forums where you'll earn a short-term probation from posting for asking questions that have been answered a million times' date=' duplicating other threads, or making pointless threads like "Hi, I'm ____ thrilled to be here!". These forums have no problems attracting new people, and the quality of info and discussion is better for it. The issue is the overflow of pointless/repeat threads, and ignoring it and/or replying with "search more" doesn't help that issue.[/QUOTE'] There are times I would love to see this happen here but it doesn't. I consider this site to be under moderated (the whole site not just the PDN forum). However, I don't find it necessary to make little remarks while reminding folks to do a little searching before asking questions. Simple enough, and usually nicer, to remind the noob that there is a search button and to use it with out saying things that do not help the user. Then lock the thread so it does not continue.

#58 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

[quote name='clockworx;57714]It's kind of a catch-22' date=' because the more junk there is to sort through, the more useless posts crop up because people can't find anything useful.Maybe if we have one, single, stickied post that says FORUM RULES: READ THESE RULES OR BE PROBATED/BANNED, that should be enough for people to go there before posting, and if they ignore it, maybe there should be consequences. I agree that it's kind of silly to say "HAVE YOU READ ALL 37 PAGES OF THREADS?!?!", but 1 post that points to the wiki and covers posting guidelines should be enough for anyone to follow.[/QUOTE'] what, like: http://www.slatedroi...-questions.html:-DThat thread may get more strongly worded and/or merged with the wiki thread...Good discussion. Better than picking on the newbs...

#59 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

[quote name='blazingwolf;57719]There are times I would love to see this happen here but it doesn't. I consider this site to be under moderated (the whole site not just the PDN forum). However' date=' I don't find it necessary to make little remarks while reminding folks to do a little searching before asking questions. Simple enough, and usually nicer, to remind the noob that there is a search button and to use it with out saying things that do not help the user. Then lock the thread so it does not continue.[/QUOTE'] Honestly, it's a balance between "community" and "forum." We do have a lot of comeraderie here, which requires joshing and OT discussion. Still, the threads need to be useful. I have been very bashful about both deletion and closing threads. I will talk to MP4 about where to set the balance.

#60 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Any interest in adding a "forums discussion" thread, or should we just stay here in the hijack thread? :pAlso, I think pretty much all the stickied threads can be unstickied except for a single FAQ/Wiki thread, and maybe the PD source thread if you really want to keep it. most of the rest is technical stuff which is linked from the Wiki at this point. My initial Google Experience is there, but I think that is mostly linked and/or incorporated into custom ROMs at this point.Oops, one more possibility: in some forums I've seen Development and Custom ROMs be 2 different forums. Not sure if that might be useful, since our Custom ROMs are pretty much for mainstream use, and Development is non-mainstream and should (hopefully) just be for discussion of people testing and doing work.