• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hi guys,

It saddens me that there is 0 support for the Pipo S2, it seems its not as interesting as the M models.
I've tried to run some Gameloft games and also tried to launch some gameconsole emulators with no luck; when for example i try Gangster Rio, it just brings me back to my main screen. I saw there was a fix for this, but unfortunately not for the Pipo S2. I really hope somebody can help us S2 owners out.

Also, maybe the S2 owners should gather some sort of fund for a dev to create a nice custom rom for us? Root alone is just not gonna cut it if your used to all the extra's CM offers(got it on my phone). Hope to hear from you guys!!

M4

#2 TotalRand

TotalRand

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm amazed there is no support for this device considering its the best bang for buck tablet out of china for $100 including postage for the 16GB
http://www.alibaba.c...D100005062.html

#3 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Wow somebody actually replied.. lol. It's a brilliant device indeed. Very cheap aswell.

#4 jamieg

jamieg

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Yea fully agree S2 is a bargain - see my mini review here.

One thing I got working was fpse (PlayStation emulator), it's not free but allows to play any PS roms.
Had to root my S2 to get the openGL plugin working giving improved 3d graphics.

Pity we have no custom rom yet and last firmware update was early Sept.

#5 killermcb

killermcb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Attach or send me your framework.jar file and I will mod it for you

#6 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Whats this OpenGL plugin? I'm familiar with rooting but don't know too much about anything else.
and @killer: Will that solve the gameloft issue? I will look for the file

#7 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Another thing, hows the new firmware? Does it add extra funtions?

*edit* here's the link, i hope it works!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B8F86AB3B2F4AE04!641&authkey=!ACT5TcioFU1ZW1U

or this

http://www.mediafire...o/framework.jar

Edited by m4rtyr, 11 December 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#8 killermcb

killermcb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

I will try to work on it as soon as possible.

GL means Gameloft

#9 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Thank you very much :-)

#10 jamieg

jamieg

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

Whats this OpenGL plugin? I'm familiar with rooting but don't know too much about anything else.
and @killer: Will that solve the gameloft issue? I will look for the file

OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) explained here
The plugin is just for the PSX emulator fpse, giving better graphics.
Currently addicted to Colin McRae Rally 2.0, as said plugin only works if S2 rooted.
See more about fpse app here

#11 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Looks cool, is there any other way to pay for these apps then to use a cc? I dont like that

#12 sokiN

sokiN

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hello.
I got my S2 a few days ago. Has anyone managed to root it using a mac? I had some problems with Eclipse (I hope I will be using this tablet for development) and rooting it would help me find out what is going on (hopefully), but I don't have windows around. SuperOneClick through Mono didn't help...

#13 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

Hey, just try to find a windows system and use the S1 root method, works wonderfull.

Edited by m4rtyr, 12 December 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#14 sokiN

sokiN

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hey, just try to find a windows system and use the S1 root method, works wonderfull.

Yes that's what I had in mind.I will try it this weekend, thanks.

I don't know if there's a developer around here, but this eclipse thing is strange. I've managed to have adb list the device but whenever I try to see the available devices in Eclipse the connection is lost (also in the adb).

#15 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

Maybe try to contact a dev about this?

#16 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Anybody else having battery issues? I lost 30% in 1 night after having the battery calibrated! Wifi was off ofcourse. My running apps list:
Button Savior
Ultra keyboard
Elixir widget
Nova Launcher

Services:
com.google.android.gsf
com.android.defcontainer
com.google.android.partnersetup
com.rk.settings.widget
com.google.android.gsf.login
com.google.android.gms
com.rockchip.news.appwidget

I froze most of the system apps, anyone can tell me whats save to freeze and whats not?
I'm pretty bummed out because my previous tablet (Acer A510 quad) lost only about 5% night and the battery lasted about a week with moderate use..

Greets

*edit*

after watching in Android Tuner -> Battery Management i'm seeing the capacity is 1500mAh? Could this be true?

gr

Edited by m4rtyr, 15 December 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#17 DLung

DLung

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Anybody else having battery issues? I lost 30% in 1 night after having the battery calibrated! Wifi was off ofcourse.
*edit*

I just received my S2 Friday and battery life seems good for a cheap Chinese tablet. None of the Chinese tablets I've tested last more than two or three days in standby, best case. The S2 is no worse than the others and a bit better than expected on standby drain after seeing comments about high RK3066 standby power drain.

I've found the app "Battery Drain Analyzer" by Michal S is good for monitoring standby power drain. It isn't fancy -- it won't show you what programs have wake locks draining power -- but it is good for seeing what impact changes have and the percentage of power drain in standby. To see what programs are waking up the tablet, I use "Better Battery Stats" by askseven.

...Doug

#18 PIPOUSER

PIPOUSER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

[quote name='m4rtyr' timestamp='1355572701' post='465987']
Anybody else having battery issues? I lost 30% in 1 night after having the battery calibrated! Wifi was off ofcourse. My running apps list:
Button Savior
Ultra keyboard
Elixir widget
Nova Launcher

I have an S2 and an M1 and had battery issues with both of them - very rapid run down in standby, etc. They have both settled down to lose very little in standby. At first, I played around with BetterbatteryStats, Autostart and Juice Defender Ultimate to find out the reasons and configure apps, WiFi,and so on.
However, I believe that these tablets need quite a number of charges and discharges to start working properly. My reason for saying this is that I tried to get Bluetooth working on the M1 (running Roman's TNT R3 firmware), and the system went into repeated boot loop. I had to reflash Roman's firmware to get the system working. The M1 still behaves properly with minimal power loss on standby and gradual loss in use. This is without all the previous tuning of apps. I understand that apps like Battery Calibration just wipe out previous battery stats file, so maybe these files need a number of discharges/charges to give an accurate battery meter?

#19 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Ive charged and discharged the battery numorous times, still the same old. I've tuned everything tunable in Android Tuner, changed the governor to powersave when turning off screen, use the lowest frequency aswell. It's still the same, so i'm guessing it's gotta be some sort of firmware issue, iv'e downloaded the newest firmware from pipo's page but i haven't flashed it yet as I'd like to see if it will improve things.

I also highly doubt there's a 5000mAh battery in it, 15 minutes of GTA3 with almost everything turned of in the background results in a 25% battery decrease, this was without sound aswell :)

Edited by m4rtyr, 18 December 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#20 PIPOUSER

PIPOUSER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Ive charged and discharged the battery numorous times, still the same old. I've tuned everything tunable in Android Tuner, changed the governor to powersave when turning off screen, use the lowest frequency aswell. It's still the same, so i'm guessing it's gotta be some sort of firmware issue, iv'e downloaded the newest firmware from pipo's page but i haven't flashed it yet as I'd like to see if it will improve things.

I also highly doubt there's a 5000mAh battery in it, 15 minutes of GTA3 with almost everything turned of in the background results in a 25% battery decrease, this was without sound aswell :)

Can only speak from my experience with the S2 and the M1, and maybe you do have a faulty S2 tablet.
It took around three weeks with my M1 to get a steady battery discharge as expected. Roman (who developed the M1 and S1 custom roms) posted that the M1 (and some other RK3066 tablets) had a rubbish battery meter - he was using it at 5% for some time. In other words, the % shown is not correct for the actual state of the battery. Some PIPO users have used a looped video test on a tablet to see long it actually lasts before shutting down, and reported good battery life.
I used a continuous slide show on the M1, and it was still going strong after 8 hours so I gave up. Maybe someone can describe a way of checking the actual state of the battery without referring to the % shown, but the real test is how long it runs under test conditions before shutting down.
Once charged to 100% with the standard charger, if your S2 only runs video for a couple of hours before it shuts down, then I would say its faulty in some way.
Hope that you get it sorted one way or another.