Pipo S2 Custom firmware

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hi all, i have been checking out the forums for some time now, now that I have my own tablet, the Pipo S2, i would like to know if someone is willing to create a custom rom for it. I've seen one for the S1 but i'm not sure if it would work on the S2 aswell as they differ alot in specs.

I'm liking the tablet, had some WM8850 tablet before this and the difference in speed is pretty big. Only thing that really bothers me is the thickness and weight of the S2. It just isn't comfortable to hold for a longer period of time.

Does anyone know if Rockchip is planning a quadcore in the near future? The RK3066 is fast, but it can always be faster :)

Hope to hear from you guys,

greets

*edit*

I also have another question, my previous tablet had a button (arrow pointing down) in the taskbar which i could press at any time and it would hide it completely, it would only come back after i swipe upwards, from the rightdownside of the tablet (i hope that made sense). I found this a very valuable option. The taskbar of the S2 doesn't seem to dissapear at all, even when playing games. Does anyone have some kind of tweak for this? I'm also very curious about this "build.prop" file, i've installed Android Tuner and it showed that file and it's lines which could be changed etc. Would it be harmfull to change a few things? Would be awesome to customize it to my own personal liking. The tablet is rooted.

Edited by m4rtyr, 05 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#2 TotalRand

TotalRand

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

I'm amazed there is no support for this device considering its the best bang for buck tablet out of china for $100 including postage for the 16GB
http://www.alibaba.c...D100005062.html

#3 D.R.

D.R.

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Keep an eye over here http://www.flashmyan...531-Git-er-done

#4 louizos

louizos

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

Hello guys,
I am an owner of a S2 tablet.Its a very good tablet for 100$ but the support sucks.
I did the mistake to "upgrade" the firmware from the company site and then no front camera.

#5 louizos

louizos

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

After communicating with the service they send me a new firmware but still no camera....

#6 louizos

louizos

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Anyone knows how we open the front camera again?the tablet is new i think its not a hardware failure.It began after the firmware update.

#7 rafavedado

rafavedado

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

You must use last stock software: update_S2(PIPO)_3G_20121221
the file is in pipo website:[url="www.pipo.cn"]

rectification: file's name in PIPO 's :S2 3G software_chinese version_20130115 The file is not in Chinese. It is in English. When you
download it gets the other name: update_S2(PIPO)_3G_20121221

Edited by rafavedado, 10 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#8 carlsnilsson

carlsnilsson

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

G'day all:
I recently bought an S2 and I'm pretty happy with it. I have used Windows desktops for many years (from 3.1 to Win7), program in VB6 and Mobile VB and have bought Basic4Android to port VB software across to the S2 Tablet. One thing I do need is to emulate at least one RS-232 serial port on the tablet - and I'm aiming to do that with a USB-RS-232 converter using the host USB port. Installed a couple of promising apps (incl. API) that said they could do that, but not working so far with my converters on hand. Message says no access or cannot connect. Concluded, possibly wrongly, that I needed to root the tablet to get the required permissions. That set the heart beating a little, as I operate on a limited budget and don't want to brick my nice new S2. Found a lot of apparently contradictory info surfing the net about rooting. One promising way was/is to download and install a custom ROM image that was already rooted. The helpul and busy support staff of topnotchtablets (TNT)suggested I use the RKbatchtool to download their customised and pre-rooted S2 ROM image. Looked at that and spent a nervous day or two installing on my PC and trying to connect to my RK30 ROM. Also noted that TNT appeared to have custom images for the S1 and S3, but not for the S2. Still, that's a gap that will probably be filled and meanwhile, if I could not connect the RKbatchtool, it probably would not be of much use to me!

OK, if you have read this much, you should be able to at least glean something useful. I had a problem finding out how to put the S2 into flash upgrade mode. Not like the M1, using the Vol - and reset together (according to TNT and I assume correct), but simply holding the S2 Vol + down while plugging in the USB (mini-port) connect to the PC. Then, you can install the RK3066 drivers and, after rebooting my XP desktop and reconnecting with the S2, they fired up and gave me the magic green light indication connection with the RK3066 in upgrade mode. I haven't gone any further than that.

That gave rise to a few questions on the RKbatchtool which I direct to the admin or moderator of this forum: firstly, I would have anticipated the software would have the facility to read or save contenst of the RK ROM. Before I flash a new system, I would like to have saved the old one. I'm used to using that marvellous software for desktops, Acronis TrueImage (TI). It has saved my bacon many times, although I prefer the older and simpler versions (like TI V8 -10). However, on RKbatchtool, there is a button labelled "restore" which rouses in my breast the hope that before flashing, you either automatically save the old system or there is some means of doing so? Surely there must be some way of saving the stock ROM system or replacing it? If you have installed a custom ROM and you do a hard reset to default, do you re-install the original (like is it still tucked away in some ROM?) or do you re-iniialise the current ROM system? Is flashing a custom ROM a "no going back" procedure - have you burned your bridges?
Please enlighten.
Carl

#9 carlsnilsson

carlsnilsson

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

G'day all:
I recently bought an S2 and I'm pretty happy with it.... (snip)....Is flashing a custom ROM a "no going back" procedure - have you burned your bridges?
Please enlighten.
Carl

Well, let me continue....
Chasing the connection to a USB-Serial converter, I installed some test apps including one from SlickDev with no good result. However, it elicited the response from the helpful support there that it was probably because the necessary drivers for the PL2303 converter chip were not installed in the Android/Linux kernel. I suspect that's correct and whether or not the tablet is rooted is beside the point. That brought me to thinking about how they could be included and then some light dawned. It may be obvious in hindsight, but I hadn't thought about it before. This whole process of installing a custom ROM must be pretty similar to burning a program in a microprocessor memory chip. You have to debug and re-write your software on some host machine and flash it into the processor ROM until it works as you want it. I have done a little of that using PICBasic, which again demonstrates my poor programing credentials. You can't just directly modify the contents of the ROM in the same way as you modify the contents of a system that is installed on a HDD. Duh! So, I presume that if I want the drivers for the PL2303 USB to serial converter in my JB 4.1.1 system, it has to be done by developing and flashing a custom ROM. Have I got this right, Sir? I also recall that store-boughten micros with some software installed are read-protected to prevent piracy and frustrate amateurs like me. Maybe that's the case with stock Android systems, so you can't simply read and save the existing one like I was suggesting yesterday? Somebody out there knows. Who do? The Shadow do, that's who. If you remember that, you must be old like me!

The next question is - if the maestro of this BB has not yet created a custom ROM for the PiPO S2, now surely is the right time to ask him nicely if he would include those modest drivers? I believe you have to use the library pl2303driver.jar available from Prolific. Whether it costs, I'm not sure, but I would hope they distribute fairly freely to aid sales of their chips. You appear to be able to download drivers for Linux and Windows. This is a more basic attribute of a custom ROM than the changing of a few apps, because it enables the tablet to be used for a whole bunch of things involving serial (RS-232, RS-422) comms. That opens up the market just a little. There are still some of us who remember what a serial port looks like and how useful it can be.

Them's my thoughts for this evening. I await the world to respond.
Carl

#10 AuroraNexus

AuroraNexus

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

I suggest you first try to root your s2 without flashing a custom rom. There is a video op youtube called how to root pipo s1. I suggest watching that video. The rooting procedure is the same for the s2.
Pipo Max-S2 - Official 20121123 rooted firmware

#11 smudgy

smudgy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

The next question is - if the maestro of this BB has not yet created a custom ROM for the PiPO S2, now surely is the right time.... I await the world to respond.
Carl

If you're interested I've posted a new topic on how to set up Recovery on Pipo S2. I included results of my initial investigations which I hope can get the ball rolling.

B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users