AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, Netherlands

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Hi everybody,
I thought I should post a roadmap for the coming few months so that we all know in which direction the development of Ubuntu Linux on RK3066 devices is going and at what pace.
So here it is.

Pre-Alpha 0.3 is now available with compatibility with the UG802, Rikomagic MK802 III, MK808, UG007, iMito MX1 and MX2 and probably a few more Android TV players.
Features are basically the same as Pre-Alpha 0.2, with a few more Ubuntu packages added to the Ubuntu 12.10 root filesystem.
Pre-Alpha 0.3 will be the last of the pre-Alpha releases which were intended as a proof-of-concept and a tool for developers.

Alpha 0.4 is coming in 10 days, it will have a much simpler installation procedure and a big change: there will be two "flavours", one for desktop use with XFCE and some extra eyecandy, and another for server use with as many server packages as possible.
Alpha 0.4 will be the first of the Alpha releases which are still intended for knowledgeable users, people who have some experience with Ubuntu on PCs, and developers.
Alpha 0.4 will also be compatible with a quite popular RK3066 Android tablet, the Pipo S1. Interestingly, the Pipo S1 is just $20 more or so compared to an RK3066 PC stick, and for that you get an LCD screen (800x480), camera (low res), battery, etc. And it has an HDMI output too.

Alpha 0.5, 0.6, etc.., will follow at 10 days intervals more or less, with fewer bugs/issues and added packages for each iteration, and a growing range of compatible RK3066 tablets and Android TV players. Special priority will be given to getting the internal WiFi going, so that an extra USB WiFi dongle is not required. And as many kernel drivers will be added as possible, after adequate testing of course.

So when do we get to the Beta stage? If you have been following my posts in the RK3066 kernel thread in the ArmTvTech forum, then you know that we are still missing the source code for quite a few drivers for the RK3066 kernel. I have been contacting various manufacturers to ask them to release the source code for their chips and also, who knows what Rockchip will decide as the competition heats up in this market? So, the idea here is that as soon as I am satisfied that I have a complete set of drivers for at least one RK3066 device, then I'll release a Beta.
Beta releases are intended for general consumption, with a simplified installation procedure, but are still considered as too buggy or untested for daily production use.

1.0 will happen if/when we have Mali and VPU drivers available for the RK3066, but that depends very much on Rockchip releasing some proprietary source code.

Just a note: I am looking for volunteers to help me with these releases, there is a lot of testing, development, documentation, etc, and I just can't do it all myself, the workload by far exceeds what a single person can cope with. So if any of you can spare some time to help, please PM me and we can coordinate the work as a team.

And finally: I am looking for sponsors, in principle people who sell or resell RK3066 devices (TV players, set top boxes and tablets) and would be interested in offering the option of having Linux and Android dual booting on their products. Please PM me if you are interested in sponsoring this nice community project!

Edited by AndrewDB, 04 December 2012 - 05:05 PM.

• mrsburnout likes this

#2 joetmax23

joetmax23

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Linux Deploy on Google Play

I was hunting for the Rk Android Tool 1.35 which I can't seem to find the link for anywhere, when I found this. MK808 compatible it says.

#3 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Linux Deploy on Google Play

I was hunting for the Rk Android Tool 1.35 which I can't seem to find the link for anywhere, when I found this. MK808 compatible it says.

That is different: it uses a chroot to get Linux running under Android, with all the well-known limitations that this entails.
There have been in fact a few versions of chrooted Linux available on Google Play, this is just one of them. They all suffer from the same limitations:
- Requires a "rooted" Android device.
- A "Linux environment" (libraries, shell) is launched from Android.
- There is no direct access to a graphical environment. You are forced to run VNC or similar remote access server/client software on Android to access Linux in GUI mode. In terms of usability, this is a total disaster.

RK Android Tool v1.35 can be found in Bob Finless' ROMs, as mentioned in the installation instructions.
  • joetmax23 likes this

#4 Raymond Day

Raymond Day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Wow thank you. I like that part were you said there will be a server version. "Alpha 0.4 is coming in 10 days," "another for server use with as many server packages as possible." This is super news.

One of the things I want to run on it is pyTivo. It uses ffmpeg. It's very good taking about any video I put on my server and playing it on TiVo. I guess the UG802 will do it fast. But if you get drivers I guess ffmpeg would use the GPU in the UG802 to run even faster?

Thanks again.

-Raymond Day

Edited by Raymond Day, 03 December 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#5 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

I just uploaded Pre-Alpha 0.3, and updated the roadmap in the OP here in this thread.

Now I am going to take some time to coordinate the work of a small team of developers and we'll start working on Alpha 0.4 together. This should take 10 days or so. :drinks:

#6 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Pinning this topic. :good: +1 !

Thanks AndrewDB :yahoo:
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#7 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thanks mrsburnout! :drinks:

#8 Patola

Patola

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

AndrewDB, once we compile a new kernel, how do we create the .img file for flashing the NAND MTD and experimenting with our particular compilations? What command are you using? Can you point to a tutorial?

#9 williamette

williamette

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Alpha 0.4 will also be compatible with a quite popular RK3066 Android tablet, the Pipo S1. Interestingly, the Pipo S1 is just $20 more or so compared to an RK3066 PC stick, and for that you get an LCD screen (800x480), camera (low res), battery, etc. And it has an HDMI output too.

Will touch screen be supported?

#10 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Will touch screen be supported?

The idea is to support all the hardware features in Linux. So in as much as Linux supports touchscreen operation, the answer to your question is: yes, given some time. Probably not in these first Alpha releases, but in a couple of weeks, definitely yes.

#11 vcoleiro1

vcoleiro1

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Not sure if this has been asked/answered before , but will this support bluetooth for devices which have inbuilt bluetooth like the iMito MX1 etc?

#12 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

As long as we have a driver in the Linux kernel source for a device, and the driver works, then the device can be supported. The iMito MX1 uses a Mediatek chipset for both WiFi and Bluetooth. Mediatek has not released the source code for these devices to developers yet. So the answer is: not yet. :nea:

#13 Raymond Day

Raymond Day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

What are you going to have on the server part of it? I guess LAMP server at lest. Maybe Webmin. Take the desktop part out and make the terminal screen so it don't time out. Mine right now times out in 15 minutes.

I guess if any thing else like phpBB message board and WordPress.

Thanks again for doing this. It's grate to have Linux running on this.

-Raymond Day

#14 8cichy8

8cichy8

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

AndrewDB I want buy new tablet and I thinking about something like this http://www.prestigio...0.1_ULTIMATE_3G, or
http://www.prestigio...Pad_7.0_PRO_DUO,
will you support in the end devices like this(at least more resolutions than 800*600)?
How far are you in let your pipo S1 work? Should I wait some time, or think about other device?

#15 aloksinha2001

aloksinha2001

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

What are you going to have on the server part of it? I guess LAMP server at lest. Maybe Webmin. Take the desktop part out and make the terminal screen so it don't time out. Mine right now times out in 15 minutes.

I guess if any thing else like phpBB message board and WordPress.

Thanks again for doing this. It's grate to have Linux running on this.

-Raymond Day

Raymond,

Yes... most of the items that you suggested are proposed... in addition, there is a thought on adding - dlna player, mail, dns,

The desktop part is also proposed to be removed.(for the server version)...

but all of this is in a discussion stage right now.

Alok

Alok

Edited by aloksinha2001, 08 December 2012 - 06:42 AM.

#16 Patola

Patola

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

There is a nice new device that sports 2 GB RAM, 1.7 Quad Core CPU - http://www.hardkerne...e=G135235611947
It's not Rockchip but it has the Mali 400 GPU and they say they are providing community support. Maybe there is an opportunity to grab driver support from them to use in UG802 and derivatives?

#17 linuxerwang

linuxerwang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

There is a nice new device that sports 2 GB RAM, 1.7 Quad Core CPU - http://www.hardkerne...e=G135235611947
It's not Rockchip but it has the Mali 400 GPU and they say they are providing community support. Maybe there is an opportunity to grab driver support from them to use in UG802 and derivatives?

This device is really attracting: 2GB RAM, Quad Core CPU, on board RJ45 networking. WOW. I hope mk802 series can reach comparable spec within a year.

#18 Moody

Moody

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hey Andrew

What about Cube U30GT-H?

I have it and ready to help to get it to work on this monster .. I unbricked it twice today :D

first flashed your recovery image to recovery didn't work then flashed to kernel and bricked and used the shorting steps to unbrick

with no hope couldn't get it to work

flashing recovery doesn't affect Android booting but kernel bricks the device

Any idea I will do my best to get it to work but I don't know what to edit ! and how to edit !

an introduction will help me get it to work

*Update* I got it to work LoL I found out that I'm flashing 0.2 kernel and using 0.3 linuxrootfs :D
But the problem is the screen .. some how over sized .. I'm trying to re-size it and what I can tell I get errors on boot it's something about unsuccessful SD mounting ! I only did one successful login and couldn't change the resolution
I can't copy error log because I can't actually boot but I will try

What amazed me .. I used Wireless Keyboard & Mouse (Microsoft 1000Dpi Optical) with both Android and Linux

I think I have to post my progress in Cube U30GT section

Edited by Moody, 10 December 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#19 Moody

Moody

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

I don't know if this gonna help you with the Mali400 GPU

http://www.malidevel...ice-drivers.php

Good Luck

#20 buzz86us

buzz86us

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

despite the obvious graphics issues would this be considered a usable linux install? My main usage would be for DC++ via external hard drive. I am torn between the UG802 and the All-Winner based option. Is this a dual boot option?