S1 vs. S2 vs. U1 Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zhamilton05

zhamilton05

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

I know the three models are quite different, but please hear me out. I want a tablet that will be inexpensive enough that my 3-year-old can handle it, but snappy enough that my wife and I will use it, too (netflix, a few apps, streaming music, etc.). The S1 has 840x480 resolution on its 7" screen, 8 GB memory, and retails for about $90. The S2 has 1024x768 resolution on its 8" screen, 16 GB memory, and retails for about $130. The U1 Pro has 1280x800 resolution on its 7" IPS screen, 16 GB memory, and retails for about $150.

Getting info from forum posts, Youtube videos, etc., I see the S2 has a bigger battery than the others. Can anyone verify if real world usage bears that out? What about WiFi - are any of these tablets known for having good or bad connectivity? Would the bulkier S2 be hard for a toddler to hold?

Basically, does the nicer screen on the U1 Pro or the larger battery on the S2 justify spending more $ for a device that will likely be obsolete, crawling, or broken in 12 months? And once I get to $150, isn't a used 8 GB Nexus 7 for about the same price a better option? (I was originally in for an Ainol Crystal for $125-ish, but they're unavailable and we want this before Christmas)

Thanks for any input!

#2 lms

lms

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi zhamilton05,

I only have the S1 so I can tell you my experience of it so far. I have had it for about two weeks. The build is okay. I wouldn't say it is great because the casing is plastic and when I hold it, I do hear a bit of creaking from the case not fitting absolutely perfect. Now, I must say this could be just an isolated issue with my own unit. Hey, but for the price I paid ($86 Canadian all in), the build quality is already above my expectation. Other than this, I have no other issue with the build. I plan to buy a leather case for it so this won't bother me in the future. Having said that, I don't believe this tablet will survive a drop/throw from a 3 year old. But then again, I don't think any tablet could.

Speed wise, it is awesome. My old tablet is a 10" Acer Iconia A500 (Tegra2) and this S1 is way faster. Everything launches very quickly and apps run fast. I have read post in this forum saying it has problems running Gameloft games which I can't verify since I don't play games that much and haven't installed one.

Wifi connectivity, no issue at all. Works perfectly so far.

Web browsing is great. I read online forums in landscape mode and the size is perfect. In portrait, the font is too small and I have to zoom.

eBook reading is good as well since you can typically change the font size to your liking within the reader. I also read comics and those you will have to zoom in but it's definitely readable (I prefer to use my Iconia for comics since it is 10" and perfect size for this except it's a bit heavy).

One thing I have noticed about the screen. It seems clearer and sharper after I flash the TNT Release 2 custom rom modified by Roman. He created it based on the stock rom release by PiPO on Oct 10, 2012. Viewing angle, contrast, sharpness are all improved. If you are going to get the S1, I would highly recommend flashing his custom rom.

There are 2 annoying issues with this model.
1) If you use a microSD card with this, the unit won't stay in sleep mode from inactivity. It will wake up every few minutes remounting the SD card. Apparently, the latest firmware from PiPO fixes this but it is not officially posted on their wwebsite. Another user got a link to it from another post. I can't confirm this because I haven't use this new firmware myself. The impact is this drains the battery. Even when I don't use it, at the end of the day the battery will be at around 40%. Right now I am not using an SD card because of this issue. 8GB is plenty for me so far. I did buy a 32GB card for this. When the next release of the custom firmware is available, I'll flash it and start using the SD card.
2) Silent mode issue - The audio will stop working after the tablet is on for a while. I haven't been able to identify what trigger this to happen. When it does, the only way to get audio back is to reboot the tablet. I know at least one other user in this forum who has this issue, but I am not sure if this is a common problem with this model.

Keep these in mind when you consider the tablet. FYI, despite these 2 issues, I still think this is a great buy since 1 of the 2 issues seems already resolved.

Hope this helps.

#3 wellsoul2

wellsoul2

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Getting info from forum posts, Youtube videos, etc., I see the S2 has a bigger battery than the others. Can anyone verify if real world usage bears that out? What about WiFi - are any of these tablets known for having good or bad connectivity? Would the bulkier S2 be hard for a toddler to hold?

Basically, does the nicer screen on the U1 Pro or the larger battery on the S2 justify spending more $ for a device that will likely be obsolete, crawling, or broken in 12 months? And once I get to $150, isn't a used 8 GB Nexus 7 for about the same price a better option? (I was originally in for an Ainol Crystal for $125-ish, but they're unavailable and we want this before Christmas)

I've got the U1 and I am happy with it for the price. ($150)
Videos from Utube look great on the hi-res screen. I like to browse youtube with it and use it with my smarttv to play the videos on the tv and stereo.
I got a 32gb microsd card and it works great for storing videos and playing them. Some (stock) video players can't find the card but others work great.
The weakness of the Pipo U1 is the battery. It's good for about 3.5 to 4.5 hours playing video.

It's not perfect because of the battery but otherwise it's very responsive (fast) video and WIFI work well and you get the SD storage (up to 32GB ) plus 16GB built in.

Google Nexus 7 would be a better choice but you pay $100 more with no SD storage.

I recommend the Pipo U1 if you want a small tablet to play around with that has very up to date technology (1280x800, Dual core CPU,Jellybean 4.1,16GB,SDcard port)

If I was to spend more money on a tablet I'd get a 10 in...but hey for $150 you can't beat what you get with the PIPO U1.

#4 TotalRand

TotalRand

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Pipo S2 hands down. I'm amazed there is no support for this device considering its the best bang for buck tablet out of china for $100 including postage for the 16GB http://www.alibaba.c...D100005062.html

#5 jumbotiny

jumbotiny

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

better get U1 pro because of good reviewa from different forums.

#6 Allios

Allios

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hello there, wanna take the chance to ask if there are any big differences between 1024x768 and 1280x800 tablets? Which do you recommend? Heard 4:3 tablets may not be compatible with all games, for example. Can the same be said about 16:10?
Allios~

#7 JmanWord

JmanWord

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

I ordered a U1Pro the other day from ShadySpammers and won't get it for a few weeks. After reading quite a few threads about bricked units and buggy firmware I was just wondering if any of the later firmware has seemed stable/smooth? Not sure what firmware the unit will come with, and I suppose that will partially depend on the build date of the unit I receive. I'm a rookie and have never rooted a Android device. So I guess the question would be should I plan on updating the OS on this new tablet?

#8 surfdoghk

surfdoghk

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

I had used the U1 Pro for about two weeks already. I also try to compare the screen and wifi with U2. The screen of U1 pro is much better than U2, also the wifi is little bit faster than U2. So i bought U1 pro finally.