Android Tablets Forum banner

[HOW TO / GUIDE / MOD] All you need to know on PIPO M3 - 3G

40K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  pupets 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've started this thread to sum up all we need to know about this device: PIPO M3 3G

Pipo M3 3G - stock rom - About Information:

Official Website:
http://www.pipo.cn/En/index.php?m=Product&a=show1&id=235&type=2&cid=198

Technical Specifications:

● Display: 10.1", 1280x800 IPS (16:10)
● Touch Panel: Capacitive 10-touch
● CPU: Rockchip 3066 Cortex A9,1.6GHz,Dual-core CPU+Quad-core GPU
● RAM: 1GB DDR3
● Operation System: Android 4.1
● Camera: Front 2M, back 5M
● WiFi: 802.11/b/g/n
● Internal 3G built-in
● External 3G support: Yes
● Bluetooth 2.1+EDR: Yes
● Others: G-sensor, Micro SD slot, mic, speaker, mini HDMI output
Multimedia:Audio, Video(1080P), Photo,ebook,game, email, internet…
● Battery capacity: 3500mAh by 7.4V ( 2pcs of 3500mAh cells, equal to 7000mAh 3.7V)
● Housing material: metal back

Useful Links (use the tools below at your own risk!):

- How to get root access? (in case you are running a stock rom)
if you don't know what root is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_rooting
To get root access, download TPSarky tool here: DOWNLOAD
Unzip it and run "TPSparkyRoot.bat", then follow the onscreen instructions.
IMPORTANT: before running the tool make sure that your tablet is recgnized by your computer. Follow the steps on "How to Flash a New Firmware" to install the drivers properly.
To check if the rooting process was fine, download an app called "Root Checker" from Google Play.

- How to Flash a New Firmware:
Big thanks to Roman from TopNotchTablet for the guide provided.
Download the RKBatch tool here: DOWNLOAD
and follow the instructions here: HOW TO FLASH: GUIDE
The instructions are for a different tablet, but they perfectly work for the Pipo M3 3G. Follow the Yuandao N101 II procedure.
NOTE: After you flash a new firmware the default language could be Chinese, this video shows how to change it easily:

- Available Firmwares:
OFFICIAL:
Follow this link to check for future updates: http://www.pipo.cn/En/index.php?m=About&a=gujian
--- Official Pipo-DS1002H_M3_3G-2012-10-29: RAPIDSHARE ALTERNATIVE

CUSTOM:
--- Hopefully TNT by Roman will be available soon
--- Decontaminated V3.0 (11/23/12): HERE

- Improve Market Access and APPs compatibility:
Download the new "build.prop" here: DOWNLOAD
unzip it and copy it in /system.

NEW BUILD.PROP HERE.
Then delete Google Play and Google Services data (settings->apps->all apps)
This is a modified build.prop which is based on Samsung SGS II (SGH-I777) to improve market compatibility.
IMPORTANT: Make sure that you already have root access and make a copy of your original build.prop file!

- How do you HARD RESET?
Are you experiencing bootloops? The system hangs often?
The solution may be re-flashing your device with the same or a new firmware. An hard reset will be automatically performed.

- How to Disassemble it?
Just hold it with screen up and start unblocking the clips all around the frame (I used an old credit card to do so).
It's almost impossible to brake something because the tablet is well built, the clips are solid. (If anybody wants to post a video I'll copy it here)

- WIFI ISSUE
Many users reported having wifi issue with this tablet. It seems that the aluminium case causes some trouble to the wifi.
I tried to move the antennas eveywhere inside the case, but nothing has changed. I just noticed little increase in signal strenght but without any effects on wifi speed.

A workaround could be this: http://vondroid.com/threads/mod-wifi-signal-improvement.704/
and the attempt on mine: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/41512-solved-pipo-m3-wifi-issue/

Basically the antenna quality on this tablet is really poor, and the solution is changing it with a new one. (I'll try this later and report how it works)

- TOUCHSCREEN ISSUE
How to solve it:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/41687-solved-mod-pipo-m3-touchscreen-issue/

SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!

See less See more
1 4
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
UPDATE ON WIFI ISSUE:

I tried to solder a new antenna, I took it from an old laptop.
It's actually 2 antennas, placed on the top of the tablet (without touching the back case).
I soldered the wires on the Pipo's default antennas.

The signal has now improved, but not as much as expected.
Part of that is probably due to the soldering points (I soldered the cables on the old ones and not directly on the motherboard).

Anyway it works better now. The wifi signal is more stable and I get better speed.
But during my attempts to solve it out, I found out that by placing the antenna outside the tablet you get 5 time better signal!

Stay tuned.....

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
New build.prop

I just added some more tweaks to the build.prop provided by roman for the TNT wifi firmware.
The tablet feels much smoother, UI is less laggy and APPs (e.g. market, chrome and browser) seem to load faster.

HOW TO INSTALL:
1) DOWNLOAD IT HERE
2) unzip the archive
3) Using ROOT EXPLORER, copy the build.prop file in /system and overwrite the existing one.
4) give to the file the following PERMISSIONS (long click on it -> permissions): RW- R-- R--
5) reboot

Here a list of the tweaks:
- better scrolling
- smoother UI
- battery saving tweaks
- faster streaming
- faster internet speed

It should work on the wifi version too.

#25 ·
Having trouble getting the 3G working on my new M3. Just updated the firmware, thought that might help, but it still can't seem to detect my sim card. Anyone know if it needs to be a micro sim card, or another size, to fit, because it doesn't seem to sit flush in the slot as a full size card... Any ideas or suggestions?

#30 ·
I agree as well, I just got mine a couple of days ago so that isn't really a long time to properly review it, however so far I'm very impressed with what I have. I've yet to try it on one of the big SD cards which seem to be the ones people have trouble with, however. The WiFi however is not that great, I do experience disconnects every now & then if I'm in another room from the router, but these issues have already been reported and there is a fix I intend to try later.

I've tried decontaminated & the new firmware and they both seem to work fine, installation process was pretty straight forward, I've yet to test 3G however. Some sites are reporting that there is a hidden feature on jelly bean, multi-user support. I've been unable to activate it yet with either firmwares.

#37 ·
Hi! I accidentally rooted my Pipo M3 3G version using the rooting program for M3, so far everything works find but only one is missing... the 3G. as i noticed the 3G icon at the XMB of my tablet was gone. Programs and Wifi still working. I wanna ask if anyone here already rooted the m3 3G version? thanks! and cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.