• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 woody67

woody67

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

1. Hard power off your Pipo U2 (Hold power button until it powers off)
2. While holding Volume- (down) button
3. Connect tablet to your PC via USB (update mode)
4. Install drivers
5. Run RKAndroidTool

These instructions are from someone who posted how to root piop u2, it's basically the same if you want to flash a firmware.

OOPS!!! my bad Roberian already had posted on how to flash firmware. :p

#62 65woodsnake

65woodsnake

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

I have had my Pipo u2 for about a week, and the wifi reception is just terrible. The problem is not the signal, its the tablet not holding it. It keeps dropping out and finding it again, and when it is connected its like watching worms crawl. I know this tablet can do better than that. I am in USA, so settings here will be different than for other country's. Looking for any help with this and will be following this thread.

Thanks
65woodsnake

#63 Spectrum1981

Spectrum1981

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Ok, it Loks like, hat the WLAN Problems are enery saveing Option. When the AC adapter is plugt in i have no WLAN connection problems.

I also tryed the options in the advanced WLAN options but no change.

Can i solve that Problem when i root the device and install the script posted bevor?

#64 woody67

woody67

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

...still having wifi issue ...still googling ...still no solutions. Any solutions not previously mentioned is always welcome, no matter how dumb or stupid it may sound like. :good:

#65 woody67

woody67

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Ok, it Loks like, hat the WLAN Problems are enery saveing Option. When the AC adapter is plugt in i have no WLAN connection problems.

I also tryed the options in the advanced WLAN options but no change.

Can i solve that Problem when i root the device and install the script posted bevor?

Try rooting first, then try solutions mentioned by Roberian. AC adapter problem may vary as i've come to learn that not all PIPO U2 tablets have same wifi chip or antenna, this may be true cause i have an ainol novo 7 elf II and not all of them have same wifi chip or antenna, in fact the elf II have three or more different types. Good luck with the solutions. :good:

#66 Spectrum1981

Spectrum1981

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Ok, it doesn´t work.

How can i remove the root from the device? Just flash the firmware new?

#67 woody67

woody67

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Ok, it doesn´t work.

How can i remove the root from the device? Just flash the firmware new?

yes, that's what i would do.

#68 Spectrum1981

Spectrum1981

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

Ok, thats the way!

Everything fine and now i will test the Pipo M8 Max.

#69 woody67

woody67

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Official page for upgrading or flashing pipo tablets.

http://www.pipo.cn/E...x&id=248&type=3

....looks like this thread is dying! =@

#70 Jimthah

Jimthah

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Official page for upgrading or flashing pipo tablets.

http://www.pipo.cn/E...x&id=248&type=3

....looks like this thread is dying! =@

I'm also following this thread. I tried the Wifi Country code change, but found that by default the codes were set by default to US 1-11, so that's where it should be for me.

Rooted, CWM and English ROM installed.

I'm using the TXPower app(set to 32) and Wifi Fixer service. We'll see when I use it at its typical problematic spot for strength and after a long enough sleep period where we experience wlan wakeup issues.

(EDIT)
I tested last night and this morning and didn't have any sleep/wake issues and the signal was strongest yet. I'm pleased.

NOTE-I am running dd-wrt firmware on a Linksys E1200 router set with the TX Power to 70mW(the standard setting I use for this router)

Quite pleased. No more nonsense. I'm liking this tablet even more now.

Edited by Jimthah, 11 January 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#71 Roberian

Roberian

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

How is my fellow U2 users holding up? Just dropping by to see if anyone have shared anything neat, and curious to hear if it worked out for you guys in the end? :)

I am really learning to love this awesome pocket fitting little wonder. My pc is getting less and less use, having to get up and walk to the Internet is SO last century!

Cheers!

#72 cpuken

cpuken

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hello everyone...
It's good yet sad to see other Pipo U2 owners suffering like I have these past several weeks. The U2 is my not only my 1st tablet but my 1st experience in the Android world. I've enjoyed this crash course for the most part. Like others here I too am experiencing, what I consider to be, terrible wifi performance. I cannot move very far from my router before the signal strength drops and the connection drops. Sometimes even when I'm not too far away (10 feet) it appears to drop the signal. My wife owns an Ipad (1st gen) and a Kindle Fire HD and we both have iPhones... none of those other devices have wifi issues. I even tried a 2nd router to try and figure things out. (original router is a Linksys, picked up a refurb Netgear). Regardless to which one I connect to, the Pipo U2 will drop the connection on a regular basis.
I've taken the morning to read this thread from the 1st post on. I'll be honest with you, a lot of it is over my head (rooting, running scripts, etc.).
I am going to flash it with the latest firmware from the Pipo web site, assuming I can figure out how to do that.
I like the tablet, it has several excellent qualities but as someone else pointed out, a good wifi connection is sort of the heart beat of the deal. It would be nice to get that steady.
Thanks to everyone for your efforts, hopefully you can help us all get going.
Ken

#73 Jimthah

Jimthah

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hey there.

There are some pretty easy to follow instructions regarding flashing new firmware, gaining root access and installing ClockWord Mod(CWM) recovery software. The last will enable you to make a nandroid(a system image of your device) that can be restored easily in case you end up doing something horribly wrong.

Most of the instructions are on this thread. You're going to need to be root if you are installing the TX wifi power app or the other Wifi connection script app., I believe. I'm not sure whether it was the English firmware, one of those apps or the combination of all three, but there is certainly a difference in connection power and drops... Its not perfect, but much improved.

#74 cpuken

cpuken

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hey there.

There are some pretty easy to follow instructions regarding flashing new firmware, gaining root access and installing ClockWord Mod(CWM) recovery software. The last will enable you to make a nandroid(a system image of your device) that can be restored easily in case you end up doing something horribly wrong.

Most of the instructions are on this thread. You're going to need to be root if you are installing the TX wifi power app or the other Wifi connection script app., I believe. I'm not sure whether it was the English firmware, one of those apps or the combination of all three, but there is certainly a difference in connection power and drops... Its not perfect, but much improved.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that all the suggestions given here, that none of them turned out to be The Final Answer for wifi dropouts.
I just installed the English firmware from the Pipo web site. That process was scary but after some fiddling, I was able to successfully get that installed (installing the Win7 drivers for the rockchip 30 was the stalling point).
I'm back up and running now. It's already dropped the connection a couple times. I'm going to play a while longer to see if I can detect any improvement...

Here's a video I uploaded to youtube showing the Kindle Fire HD vs Pipo U2 when looking at Wifi signals.

#75 woody67

woody67

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

For the new Pipo U2 users...if trying methods mentioned in this thread do not solve your wifi problems like mine has, you'll just have to wait for a new firmware which hopefully will resolve this. I'm saying this because I've opened mine to see if the wifi soldering was done properly and found all ok. Roberian, I believe mentioned this to have to do with the os...I'm getti'n that hunch also or it could be that some of these tablets have different wifi parts; some have a metal antenna at the end and some have a tiny board at the end. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. If you dare to open your's please let me (all of us) to figure out what can be the cause of this. I've sent Pipo a few emails....still waiting a response from them.

...a Ferrari with a volkswagen motor is what this tablet has turned out to be...ahhhh!!!!

#76 Jimthah

Jimthah

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

How is my fellow U2 users holding up? Just dropping by to see if anyone have shared anything neat, and curious to hear if it worked out for you guys in the end? :)

I am really learning to love this awesome pocket fitting little wonder. My pc is getting less and less use, having to get up and walk to the Internet is SO last century!

Cheers!

I've found nothing further. Anybody else? I've seen no new firmware either.

In the meantime, I've reconfigured an old router to be a repeater for the other end of the house, so there is max wifi speed and connectivity.

Love this tablet... *but*, I would really like to get to the bottom of the wifi issue....

#77 dp111443

dp111443

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

In the meantime, I've reconfigured an old router to be a repeater for the other end of the house, so there is max wifi speed and connectivity.

Love this tablet... *but*, I would really like to get to the bottom of the wifi issue....

Wow - you guys have spent so much time trying to resolve this freaking problem! I've just had mine for 2 days and guess what...same issues with the wifi. I stand next to it and it works like a dream. I leave the room and the signal just disappears! Very frustating because the table is awesome! I'm based in the United Kindom.

I'm posting here as a complete non-techie when it comes to android software, but I'm very much interested in where this forum leads to to try and get this problem fixed.

I have also emailed Pipo but no response from them. I assume they've had a few of these reported by now but I don't know what their after support is like. So far - non existant!

Anyway - i'll be watching this forum closely!

cheers guys!

Wow - you guys have spent so much time trying to resolve this freaking problem! I've just had mine for 2 days and guess what...same issues with the wifi. I stand next to it and it works like a dream. I leave the room and the signal just disappears! Very frustating because the table is awesome! I'm based in the United Kindom.

I'm posting here as a complete non-techie when it comes to android software, but I'm very much interested in where this forum leads to to try and get this problem fixed.

I have also emailed Pipo but no response from them. I assume they've had a few of these reported by now but I don't know what their after support is like. So far - non existant!

Anyway - i'll be watching this forum closely!

cheers guys!

#78 dp111443

dp111443

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

Guys - I tries one thing that was suggested on this thread. I went to the other end of the house where I know for a fact I will get no wifi reception with the pipo for sure. When the device is running off the battery, sure enough no reception. When I plug in the dc adapter into the electricity mains, I get reception and its reliable too! I tried downloading some apps and browsing and it worked perfectly fine.

This to me points to power settings or management on the device so I can't see why firmware can't sort this out.

Question is when!

Is anyone in touch with pipo regarding this problem??

Thanks!

#79 shadowspan

shadowspan

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Two rooms away! Wow!
It's got to be a hardware issue then.

I wouldn't dream of moving out of the room or I would loose connection almost instantly.
Sometimes it would still show up as a 5 MBps connection one room away, but it wouldn't access / show / download anything.
At least not in a reliable way. If I was standing at the right spot with flowers in my other hand ...it might. :rolleyes:

Two rooms (10m or 30 feet, 2 wooden doors and 2 old brick walls) away, it's loosing connection entirely, while my HTC One S is still getting a decent signal.
Not always perfect, not in all physical postions, but it would hold the connection and download apps from the market.
Something the Pipo is not capable of, no matter what. And it's the larger device with more room to spare for a better antenna.

Thank You so much for Your feedback, Roberian. I am looking forward to Your flash experience. :good:

Yoko

#80 shadowspan

shadowspan

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I Really like the look of this tablet and was very impressed with the specs and the You tube video I watched, however this issue with WiFi reception is totally unacceptable so I wrote to Pipo expressing my concerns and asked if they had solved or were in the process of solving the problem.
This is the reply from Ben Lai at Pipo:

'Hi

Cannot improve too much.

This is metal casing. Very small design.

The Wifi signal is not easy to come out

You have to use closer to WiFi spot.

If you really care about this , please buy the other model with plastic back'

So there you have it. Looks like metal casings on small units don't give good WiFi reception therefore not worth the hassle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users