Android Tablets Forum banner

PiPo U2

29K views 97 replies 18 participants last post by  nochtavio 
#1 ·
I am looking into buying a PiPo U2
is it worth to buy for 139.99$ through MeriMobiles ?

#2 ·
I just ordered a Pipo U2 in Germany.
I'm also curious as to why nobody else seems to have one of those tablets as they seem to be quiete a bargain.
Dual camera, Rockchip 3066, 16GB, Bluetooth, a proper HDMI port, metal shell, screen similar to IPS, stereo speaker, size of a Kindle reader, leightweight, JellyBean.... and good looking!

I'm only concerned that I might not be able to root the device, as there seems to be no community support at all.
Pictures and Specs from one of the many shops offering the Pipo U2
So - if there is anyone out there with a Pipo U2, reply and contribute :)

Sincerely,

YokoBln

#3 ·
I am very impressed so far, had it for about 2 weeks, and have ordered 2 more as christmas gifts now. The compact size compared to all other tablets make a far larger impact on everyday use than you would think. The screen is also amazing, no idea how they did it at a lower resolution, but it is brilliant, and I would guess the resolution saves CPU and battery. For whatever reason this is lightning fast, and if I was given a Nexus 7 or Ipad i would say thank you, then sell it on ########### and keep tthe U2.

I mostly lurk around this forum looking for firmware and custom roms, but I finnaly had to make a comment
Hopefully as people are getting this brand new tablet we will start seeing updates making it even more awesome. You guys turned my first imported tablet Pipo S1 from a cute curiosity to something truly awesome!

#4 ·
Thanks for Your input Roberian!

While i'm waiting for my Pipo U2... would You share Your impressions on battery stamina and WiFi performance?
Besides those two aspects, availability of custom roms and root access is my major concern, as I'm not knowledgeable enough to root a device without profound community help...

Kind regards,

Yoko

#5 ·
I have yet to run out of power on it because i use it mostly at home, but it is very obvious that it drains much slower than my S1. I just took a look at the battery page and the screen seem to use about 50% less power compared to S1. A great thing i like very much is that as long as wifi is off in sleep mode (or only on when charging) it seems to use almost no power at all while sleeping.

The wifi range and signal is good, however like with my S1 did before updating the firmware, it seems to chose a lower transfer speed than it should. There already is a firmware update on Pipos homepage so I will give it a try if there is no custom roms coming up shortly.

The more I think about the more convinced i get this will be a very popular tablet. It's almost like there is a magical size breaking point, and when you get under that it makes a huge difference in use, especially in portrait mode.

Link to Firmware: http://www.pipo.cn/En/index.php?m=About&a=gujian_show&id=53

#6 ·
Thanks for the info and official page link
. I'm expecting mine to arrive in a couple more days, from what you've mentioned it seems this tablet is gonna be a competitor to the ainol novo series tablets. Let's hope a custom rom will appear soon! Thanks again and Merry X-Mas!!!

#7 ·
SO....my Pipo U2 arrived as well.

It's late, so I'm going to make this short.
The device is marvelous! The build quality, material, speed, display - great!
I can't comment on battery stamina just yet, but two things seriously spoil the fun for me and may even warrant sending back the Pipo U2.

- WLAN! I have changed the channels, gave static IP, ran wifi annalyzer.... I can not get a descent signal 15 feet away from my router.
My HTC One S mobile phone is sitting right next to the Pipo and displaying 6+ Access Points / Routers. The Pipo will only see mine and the connection speed alternates between 5 and 65 mbps. Downloading 10 MB from my Dropbox takes ages. Standing next to the router...and I'm done in seconds.

- Headphone port! Either the metall shell is cut out to tight or this is a 2,5mm jack, not a 3,5mm one. I can not insert any of my ordinary headphones! Tech Specs on various shopping sites state 3,5 mm ?!

I'm not sure if the firmware update mentioned above would solve the wifi issue, i could live with the headphone jack problem.
I'm going to contact the seller to see if they allow me to flash the device while still be able to return it, if that doesn't solve it.

There is no point in a tablet without proper wifi, or am I expecting to much?
Frankly I can't tell how a Nexus 7 performance is, but if a small (metal shell!) mobile phone like HTC One S is getting a good reception, there's someting not okay.

Torn between love & hate,

Yoko

#8 ·
Your wifi issues is spot on like my old pipo s1 was when it arrived. It would choose a very low speed, like 1 mb or 5md. After i updated it, the speed sits at an easy 150mb, at all times.

I get better speed on my u2 so its not as problematic as with the s1, but i will have some free geek out time saturday, i will give the firmware a try and report back.

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply Roberian!

I do believe it's possible to fix the wifi issue depending on the cause.
If it's just a build.prop or driver thing, it's probably an easy fix for a pro.
Unfortunately I'm not one of them...
I change SSD's in Notebooks, take mobiles apart and change screens, but the software side of Android remains a closed book to me.

If the aerial is glued to some metal sheet like on some other devices or simply is to short or badly placed between battery and the metal back cover, it will not be that easy though.
Disassembly looks quite challenging to me, at least while keeping the tablet scratch free and pretty.

Another thing is, in Germany (yeah, excuse my awful english) I'm able to return the merchandise within two weeks of arrival for a full refund including shipping.
So my options are limited, cause flashing & opening the tablet etc. would certainly void that opportunity...

Did You by any chance have a look at the headphone jack?

Thanks in advance,

Yoko

#10 ·
I use the headphones that came with the U2, and when i took a look at them they are smaller than normal ones. While it does make sense because of its extremely compact nature, the product page on pandawill DOES say 3,5. How normal is 2,5 in use? Could it be that 3,5 is so standard that the exporters didnt think to even check?

Maybe you can try sharing network by bluetooth intil you figure out the wifi? I feel pretty sure that there is no way a company with so much sucsess as pipo have seen this year, would put out a newer gen of their tablets and higher quality and then just forget about the wifi. My instinct tells me there must be some interference setting, or standard, that is different in asia and EU.

#11 ·
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Roberian!

As I mentioned before... I could live with the headphone jack thing.
I will test the bluetooth ability with a Sony BT stereo headset today.

The wifi is a dealbreaker for me though.
Wireless defines the kind of device we bought, in my opinion.

Almost every app relies on that. Sure I could use my mobile phone or PC as a relay, but thats not a practical solution for everyday use.
I intend to use the tablet in meetings at various places. If it's not fixable, I'll return the Pipo with a very heavy heart!
I will call the seller on monday to see if they agree on giving me permission to flash the tablet - I'll keep You posted.

On a side note... You don't seem to have that wifi problwm at all, do You?!
Cause that would point to a manufacturing problem, not a general issue in my (very humble) opinion, .
How about the other owners, anyone with wifi issues?

Thanks & Regards,

Yoko

#12 ·
As i said earlier my wifi is slower than it should be, but not to the point of being devastating. As i sit here on my computer 2 rooms away, my huawei g300 phone, pipo s1, and pipo u2 all show great signal. But the transfer speed is 64, 150 and the u2 moves up and down around 40. This is exactly the same as my pipo s1 used to do when i got it, only it was hanging around 1 - 5 mb speed.

You can try setting your router to use N only, if I am right in this being interference threshold issue you might see a moderate improvement, might improve your day until we get it fixed.

I'l post an update when i'm done installing firmware update.

#13 ·
Two rooms away! Wow!
It's got to be a hardware issue then.

I wouldn't dream of moving out of the room or I would loose connection almost instantly.
Sometimes it would still show up as a 5 MBps connection one room away, but it wouldn't access / show / download anything.
At least not in a reliable way. If I was standing at the right spot with flowers in my other hand ...it might.

Two rooms (10m or 30 feet, 2 wooden doors and 2 old brick walls) away, it's loosing connection entirely, while my HTC One S is still getting a decent signal.
Not always perfect, not in all physical postions, but it would hold the connection and download apps from the market.
Something the Pipo is not capable of, no matter what. And it's the larger device with more room to spare for a better antenna.

Thank You so much for Your feedback, Roberian. I am looking forward to Your flash experience.

Yoko

#14 ·
Firmware update is up and running. Used the same rk batch tool I used for Pipo S1 and everything went smooth.

So far everything seems even smoother than it already was, and wifi is vastly improved! Have to do some testing to see if it is at the same level as my S1. The reason i had better speed than you before must have been all the optimizations and upgrades i did on my network while problemsolving the S1.

Also, i have translated the U2 manual with Google Translate and included in this post.

Maybe i should post a short guide on updating and setting up this thing?

Cheers

Attachments

#15 ·
Wow! Thanks Roberian, too kind!

I'm trying the firmware update if the seller agrees that I could still send it back if that's not going to help.
I love the Pipo ia all other aspects. The build quality is top notch for 150 euro includig s&h.
If You could elaborate on the "rk batch tool" I would appreciate it a lot!

I have already downloaded the firmware file "20121109_DS717_4.1.1_PIPO品铂_U2".
I believe I still need the "firmware tool" HERE, am I right?
If the buttons on that tool are all in chinese I definitely have to rely on someone who was already brave enough to flash the new rom *hint hint*

All in all it sounds like a promising way to go - thanks again Roberian!

Good night,

Yoko

#16 ·
Okay... I downloaded the Fimware tool an ran it.
Now I'm scared!

I comes up with a error "Loading config file failed" and the rest is all chinese.
Loading the image file within the tool crashes the whole program (force close).
I'm running Win7 64bit by the way.

So Your offer on that short guide sounds ..uhm.. very helpful to me.

Yoko

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok i will write a short summary of what i think might be a good way to set the U2 up until we start seeing root and custom roms for this awesome tablet.

"" DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anything bad happening, and all credit for any and all improvements seen by following this guide. Your Pipo U2 may or may not break, sell your stuff on e bay and steal your loved ones ""

1. Download newest firmware on official site: http://www.pipo.cn/index.php?m=About&a=gujian_show&id=53 (use google translate if englisg pages are missing)
2. Get the English rkbatchtool and read how to use it and install needed drivers for your tablet here: http://www.topnotchtablets.com/RK3066firmware.
3. To put U2 in update mode you hold volume up for about 5 sec when starting it. The screen should go dark and will give no clue that it is on. remember to charge to atleast 70% to be sure.
4. When rkbatchtool guide is complete it will start, give it a few extra min after it get to the homescreen, as it is still setting up stuff.
5. Change language to whatever (look at icons, should be no problem), remove all Chinese apps, and disable the few Chinese system apps left. set all location and keyboard settings to where you are, and maybe uncheck allow simulated gps in developer options. Reboot. This to avoid Google Play thinking you are in china and suggest Chinese apps for you.

After reboot get online, sign into Google and with any luck all will be well.

Suggestions while waiting for root and updates:
Get Adblock plus from play store first, it works without root! If apps with adds are installed first they will forever repeat the adds they had cached before you got the blocker.
Nova Launcher is a great alternative to the stock one from Pipo!
U2 have great stereo speakers and Music Volume EQ app will improve them even more!

Cheers

#18 ·
Thank You for the comprehensive walk through!

I didn't know there was an english source for the batch tool - that clears things up!
Well lets see if I'll be permitted to flash the pad.
Is there a change log on the new firmware?
I searched all Pipo sites but don't think they provide something like that. Oh well...

Thank You again for Your support Roberian, I'll report back how things went.

Yoko

#19 ·
Well, damn!

I called the seller, they agreed I could flash the Pipo, I have all the files at hand and now I realize: it's already up to date.
The device I received already came with build number DS717-eng4.1.1.
I flashed it anyway and as expected, it's exactly the same image as was one the device before.
I'm at work and as far as I can tell, there is no improvement regarding wifi sensitivity at all.
I uploaded screenshots of both the Pipo and my HTC One S. Access point is one foot away, both devices are next to each other.

So not to bore everyone else to death with my wifi rants I ran an Antutu benchmark (Antutu 3.0.3) on the Pipo and my HTC One S as well.
As said before, performance and build quality are top notch. I love the tablet in all other aspects.

I honestly don't know what to do, but it seems like I'm going to send it back.
I need wifi one or two office rooms away from a powerful Access point. End of story.

Thanks alot,

Yoko

Attachments

#20 ·
Update! I have gained full root and figured out what the problem with wifi is!

It is a setting issue (iwconfig) , and i think it mostly would affect some languages and areas. Root is needed for correcting and i have to use a script to fix it everytime i turn off wifi. As soon as i figure out a parmanent fix i will make a custom room or write a little guide.

The wifi signal is rocksolid at 64mb transfer even when i go to the other side of my building with tweak on. The TNT version 3 firmware for pipo s1 on this forum must have the info needed, because it boosted wifi speed to 150mb and i have no problems at all.

The only reason my wifi was not as bad as yours is because of my tweaked out router, when i tried it outside i get as bad speed as you, untill i run my little script that is.

#21 ·
Hy Roberian,

gaining root access won't be a problem, I just need to rule out that it's a (non fixable, or difficult for that matter) hardware issue.
I am very interested in Your findings, although it would be astonishing if it was just some setting.
I have a couple more days before I need to send the Pipo back, so let's see.
If anyone needs to have any specific benchmark or software tested or benched, feel free to ask.

Thank You very much indeed Roberian,

Yoko

#22 ·
Thanks Roberian for what you do for this tablet, it's very helpful. I have a problem and any help will be most appreciated, I'm using pipo u2 and sometimes it kinda stalls for a split second and keeps doing it randomly (not only with games). I sometimes reboot and problem gone for a while. It's my second day with this tablet and I feel...like I wasted money...but then again am I wrong?

#24 ·
I have to get up to date on all this christmas stuff so not as much time as i had hoped for tweaking. I will throw out some unsorted notes ive made so far if anyone else is working on u2 tweaks. I learn as I go so use your brain if you for some reason think it would be a good idea to use any of this...

Rooting: Turn on USB debugging in developer settings and connect tablet to PC while moboro is running. needed drivers will install.
(http://www.moborobo.com/)
Now you can use ZhuoDaShi to gain root. (its in chinese but only one button press needed, watch youtube link)

Tweaking: A awesome new app from XDA developers called "Pimp my rom" is a collection of pretty much all known root tweaks, it works really well and the wifi tweaks makes wifi speed and conection noticable faster. It does not however fix the main issue.
"Wifi Txpower" app will give you a reading of iwconfig, and now you can see the problem.

The script I use to fix look like this:
------------

#WIFI speedup

busybox sysctl -e -w net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle=1;
busybox sysctl -e -w net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse=1;
busybox sysctl -e -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=cubic;
iwconfig wlan0 power off;
iwconfig wlan0 txpower 32;

--------------

The command "iwconfig wlan0 power off;" is the main fix
I use Root Toolbox for running script at will and at boot. and used busybox installer from the same guy.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=JRummy+Apps+Inc.#?t=W251bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLDEwMiwiY29tLmpydW1teS5yb290LmJyb3dzZXIiXQ..

If anyone can use any of this or add anything that would be awesome!

Cheers

#25 ·
Yokobln, thanks for reply. It happens doing anything, even when swipeing screens! Sometimes when I open a program I have to click it 2 or 3 times. I'm thinking of installing the stock rom again and see if it fixes it. I found a english stock rom with all chinese apps removed (not rooted) at xda developers site (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35287520#post35287520). Opps is posting links a no no? Anyway thanks again Yokobln for replying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.