9 replies to this topic

#1 MAX Reitzel

MAX Reitzel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

I made a post for this problem in the firmware section as well, so sorry for that.
I got my PIPO yesterday and flashed with Romans release. The problem I have is that the display looks "stretched" so an oval becomes slightly an ellipse instead. I downloaded an app, Display Metrics Info, which shows me the following Landscape: 800x432 and Portrait 480x752. That doesn't seem right does it? Is there a hardware problem. Do you guys also get stretched ovals so it looks like an ellipse?
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Winston Churchill

#2 MAX Reitzel

MAX Reitzel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

C'mon guys so many views and no one could just answer a simple question? :(
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Winston Churchill

#3 Jackhasasammy

Jackhasasammy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I think no one has answered it because either it doesnt really make sense? or no one else is experiencing the problem, contact the buyer and either get a refund or a replacement (after flashing back to stock rom). but as for the display it is 800x480 so colours will look washed out - Jack

#4 MAX Reitzel

MAX Reitzel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

Jackhasasammy, thanks so much for your answer! At least I know that it's a faulty display now. :good:

#5 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Jackhasasammy, thanks so much for your answer! At least I know that it's a faulty display now. :good:

Things are going to be slightly "stretched" I think due to the very wide but low 800x480 resolution. I wouldn't assume it is faulty :(. Android 4.1 unfortunately isn't quite built for this low resolution of a screen I don't think and I had to find a suitable aftermarket launcher just to make things work correctly to begin with. I think the slight stretching you are seeing is unfortunately normal.

Regards,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#6 Jackhasasammy

Jackhasasammy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Things are going to be slightly "stretched" I think due to the very wide but low 800x480 resolution. I wouldn't assume it is faulty :(. Android 4.1 unfortunately isn't quite built for this low resolution of a screen I don't think and I had to find a suitable aftermarket launcher just to make things work correctly to begin with. I think the slight stretching you are seeing is unfortunately normal.

Regards,

Roman

Its unfortunate, this is a great little tablet, just the display lets it down, if you wanna check out my youtube channel i have videos on the Pipo S1 and others thanks! :) "JackHasAnLG"

#7 cacoe

cacoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I've noticed the same problem on the S1 I bought for my girlfriend. It doesn't bother her but it bothers the hell out of me!

Posted Image

The left photo is perspective corrected in Photoshop so you can see how much the image is stretched compared to the screenshot on the right.

I'd love a fix personally. It's the reason I'm getting a U1 Pro instead of the S1.

I found a little more info on the matter here:
http://stackoverflow...ok-like-ellipsi

#8 MAX Reitzel

MAX Reitzel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for your answers. Well I thought it was a faulty hardware so I sent it back and got a new one, but of course it was the same stretched screen. Now I've read your answers and realised that it has nothing to do with hardware but Android itself... I've checked the link cacoe had provided, but well there's no easy solution. I guess I'll have to live with it :(

Edited by MAX Reitzel, 16 January 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#9 Wild_Duck

Wild_Duck

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

This may not apply, but I have a Pipo M1 and that stretched the screen on videos, I found the default player has options to change from 16.9 to 4.3. Sorry if you've already tried this.

#10 MAX Reitzel

MAX Reitzel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

This may not apply, but I have a Pipo M1 and that stretched the screen on videos, I found the default player has options to change from 16.9 to 4.3. Sorry if you've already tried this.

Thanks for the tips. The thing is that the whole interface has a stretched screen which is annoying but I very seldom use my S1 anymore except for checking the tv listing so I just live with it right now :-)