Android Tablets Forum banner

Teclast P88

106K views 376 replies 65 participants last post by  pogodancer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
maybe you're lucky enough to enjoy your P85hd; maybe you're less lucky and still wait like me for yours to arrive (well, in fact for teclast to assemble it, it seems!). In any case it seems the new P88 should appear on Shenzhen retailers shelves in the coming weeks if not days; time to open a dedicated thread for this promissing slate, right?

It already has its own page on ZOL (chinese reviews for consumer's electronic): it says price to be announced. though.

http://detail.zol.com.cn/mid/index335397.shtml

teclast website also has a dedicated page for the P88:

http://www.teclast.com/topic.php?action=news&channelID=76&topicID=191&newsID=5167

it does not say much, but: 8" ips screen, front/back cameras, 9mm(~.35") thick metal body (it claims 9mm and thinest in the 8" category at the same time - which sounds sort of awkward, considering apple mini it pretends to beat hands down is only 0.28"=7.2 mm in thickness); somewhat disappointingly, it also says dual core processor (双核); at least, I hope you'll enjoy the early pics;

And, yes, some retailers had a hand down onto it:

So, who will be the first to review it, here on slatedroid?

See less See more
#4 ·
It appears to be a sleeker design with some minor upgrade. Like the touch screen & thinner look than P85HD. P88 will still use RK3066 so performance will be the same as P85 & P85HD. The tablet will just look and feel nicer.

Chinese make money by coming out with newer designed tablets every 4-6 months. They then expect us to upgrade every 8-12 months. =)

Right you are. Thanks for the info.

#5 ·
I forgot to say that you can cancel an order before it ships out. You cannot cancel when in the mail or given to courier. Contact the seller if your P85HD has not shipped yet and ask them to cancel the order. There should be no fees for this. Tell them you want to cancel to buy the P88 instead.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking around the Internet I see there will be P88 quad too. Very likely coming with Retina resolution display.

I believe Teclast will release 2 versions of P88. P88 Dual w/Rockchip RK3066 & P88 Quad w/AllWinner A31.

The AllWinner A31 is supposed to have quad core CPU (cortex A7?) & eight core GPU (PowerVR SGX543MP8). It should be a very powerful ARM chip for gaming and everything else. The A7 is little more stronger than A8 but uses 1/4 to 1/5 the power.

My release date guesses are:
The P88 Dual (RK3066) should be out in about 1 month.
The P88 Quad (A31) in maybe 2.5 months.

Have to wait to get more info. ie. every 2 to 3 weeks should get more and more details & update on release dates

Edit: changed release dates slightly

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
8" tabs culprit is battery life, so going thiner limit it further to place a more juicy cell. I would prefer if it was 1.5mm thicker in order to get 6000ma or more. what do you think?

-on aliXpres they list few sellers, and it has 4500ma cell.

#8 ·
8" tabs culprit is battery life, so going thiner limit it further to place a more juicy cell. I would prefer if it was 1.5mm thicker in order to get 6000ma or more. what do you think?
For 9.7" & 10.1" tablets they use 2 batteries to get to 6000-8000mAh.

Almost all 8" tablets use 3700-4500mAh, single battery. I think I may have seen one tablet say it had 5000mAh battery but who can say if real or not. 4000 is real and 4400/4500 is very likely real too. 4500 is around the limit today for single tablet battery.

Single battery has an energy limit. Battery maker would have to make the battery bigger size (longer or wider - or maybe thicker) to get past 4500mAh and reach 6000mAh with single battery. For now, you just have to buy whatever is out there. Waiting for 6000mAh in 8" tablet could take awhile to happen.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I'm thinking of going for it.
I need an 8'' one, the Ainol Spider is nowhere to be found and based on janesh's and other peoples' positive comments on the P85HD, I'm hoping the P88 will be a good choice.
What I fear is that there is probably some risk involved. As I understand, Chinese manufacturers don't offer consistent quality (not even between same models, let alone between different models) and the P88 hasn't been tried and tested.

#12 ·
I ordered the Teclast P88 from pandawill, will be send with Fedex.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why Fedex and not DHL? Less cost? DHL tends to be the fastest by 1-3 business days.

Pandawill takes awhile to get in stock. They do not carry inventory and takes them about 10 days before they get and ship out your product. Can even take 2 weeks (or longer too). You should only buy from them if you can sit back and wait. =) This is the major reason why people get upset buying from PandaWill. They tend to be worse than some other big online, Chinese sellers for carrying inventory because they seem to have none.

It has been 1 week and my N90S still has not shipped out. It should get sent out Weds.-Fri. this week if Yuandao was able to provide Pandawill with stock.

PS, a good AliExpress seller will be much faster to send you the tablet. ie. they will get it in 3-5 workdays & 1-2 days to pack it. Even quicker if they have stock on-hand.

#14 ·
OK. I see you went with PandaWill because the other sellers on AliExpress want lots of money for courier service. Costs an extra $38+. Compared to $15.28 for FedEX to Canada.

#15 ·
Yes Nickos, i am dutch, they look at the price and our money, but i also took Fedex because of avoiding tax, and it takes to the netherlands about one day longer than with DHL.
If you are right Pandawill does not have stock, i made the wrong choice, but so far i have pretty good experience buying from pandawill, though i should have bought from aliexpress when they were cheaper with express shipping.

We shall see, my Yuandao vido N80IPS, is on his way to Leipzig in Germany and will arrive tomorrow in Amsterdam.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I cancelled my pandawill P88 order because they told me to wait more than one week.
I jumped to aliexpress, with DHL, and ten USD cheaper.

I think this will be my last RK3066, because the Allwinner A31 and RK3188 quadcores are coming.

#21 ·
P88 quad Antutu 2.9.4 Benchmark
Total score: 12836
http://www.gizmochina.com/2012/12/05/teclast-p88-tablet-come-with-allwinner-a31-processor-benchmark-more-than-12000/

That is with the P88 prototype. P88 quad will likely get released to the public in about 1.5 months.

Just to note, Ramos W30 (quad Exynos 4412) reached somewhere around 12,500. RK3066 like U30GT get somewhere around 8250 with Antutu 2.9.4.

Also, P88 quad very likely comes with retina display (very high resolution) and would have taken somewhat of a hit on the GPU tests but still managed to get a very high overall score.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
#26 ·
Yep, my first order as well (two, actually - one for each of my kids). I also ordered from AliExpress (Shenzen Kimdecent) - it hasn't shipped yet, though, and I'm kind of worried... Did anyone else's actually ship out yet?

Will definitely post my analysis as soon as I get it!

#28 ·
P88 Quad should be out in about 4-6 weeks time.

I think people here realize they are buying the P88 Dual version and not the quad. They probably want to get an 8" tablet for Christmas either for themselves or for their kids. They prefer going with the P88 over the other 8" tablets.

P88 Dual = RK3066 ARM chip
P88 Quad = A31 ARM chip

The P88 Dual version is still a very good tablet to use!

Reactions: mahyar
#29 ·
I think, comparing my tegra3 nexus 7 with my RK3066 devices, there is not much difference, but i am curious about the the performance of the powervr SGX544 gpu

#32 ·
RK3066 & Tegra3 are very even in GPU performance.

AllWinner A31 claims to have 2X GPU performance compared to Tegra3. Some are saying that is 200% better when in fact only 100%. Still, whether 100% or 200%, the GPU performance difference will be HUGE.

Rockchip RK3188 claims to have 40% better GPU performance over Tegra3.

I had wanted to get a high resolution display (ie. Retina) but not after seeing how quickly that will drain out the battery life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.