280 replies to this topic

#21 lscolman

lscolman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Bit of an update.

The screen continues to impress. For movie playback the colours are very good, contrast and brightness good too.

HD streaming from Live TV is causing issues now. I've loaded LOADS of stuff and probably upset something. My other hero will be here by tomorrow, so I can compare various setups.

I managed to hang the device last night. Using XBMC and HD streaming. Had to use the reset pin. Oddly, the battery before it crashed said 60%, but registered 0% when it rebooted. I needed to plug in then charger to get it to reboot.

Battery life apart from this issue seems extremely good. Didn't seem to be any draid in sleep mode.

I will be testing a six axis at some point this week, and will update.

Cheers, Lee

#22 shijo

shijo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationQatar

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hello Friends,

Please post the pros and cons of this tablet from those who are using it. Lee, we expect a detailed review if you can about the gaming experiences, build quality, battery life, wifi connectivity etc. I saw in Ainol store the price is reduced to $189 today. Expecting more updates from those have own the Tablet as of now and suggestions to buy or not....Thankssssssss

#23 lscolman

lscolman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hi,

I take it you mean this link?
http://www.ainol-nov...etooth-gps.html

Has anyone ordered and received goods from this site?

Cheers, Lee

#24 shijo

shijo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationQatar

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hello Lee

Yes I mean that site. That is the official Ainol site and of course they will be the most trustable.

thanks

#25 lscolman

lscolman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

I'm not too sure that is the official site.

There is also www.caveat emptor.com

I have ordered from ipadalternative.com and hongkongeek.com Two tablets from each and I have received good service.

Cheers, Lee

#26 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yes I mean that site. That is the official Ainol site and of course they will be the most trustable.

I doubt that.
If you look at the whois information of the domain names, ainol-novo.com has no ties to ainol.com other than the fact that both are located in Shenzhen. Take a look at ainovo.com for an example of a domain that clearly belongs to Ainol.

Furthermore, ainol-novo.com has a link to cube-stores.com on their pages. Why would they do that if they were Ainol? Finally, somebody listed them as bad vendor on Pat's wiki ("Slow response from Customer Service").

I think that ainol-novo.com is just a Chinese dealer that happens to have grabbed that official sounding name, and now they're pretending to be Ainol. Maybe they have a "license" from Ainol, but that doesn't mean they are the same company.
  • xer0backlash likes this

#27 lscolman

lscolman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Can't test the Six Axis controller as I need a micro USB OTG cable. Ive ordered one. The one that came with the elf II was a mini USB.

Do we think that the controllers should work over Bluetooth?

Cheers, Lee

Edited by lscolman, 15 November 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#28 mcdust

mcdust

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Do we think that the controllers should work over Bluetooth?

excactly thats what i wanted to know. No need for an OTG cable. also i doubt it will work through the OTG Port.

just try:
("Sixaxis Compatibility Checker" from Playstore)

https://play.google....HljaGVja2VyIl0.

it uses the Bluetooth chip to connect to the prepared Sixaxis controller. but with the compatibility checker you can see if the chip is compatible. also no need for an actual sixaxis controller.

Root is required though? is it actually rooted?

Thanks for your Help!!

Mcdust

#29 jubal1

jubal1

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I got a couple of these for testing and resale from my vendor today. I have to say that I'm very impressed.

Buildwise, it's a little short of the Fire, no anodised aluminium back, its textured plastic, but it is firm and there's only the tiniest bit of flex in it and no creak. It feels like a well built tablet, and has some heft.

Design is great, really slick and modern, interestingly the glass sits about 1mm above the bezel all the way round and the bezel slopes at 22-25 degrees to the back, giving the same super-slim impression as the ipad does. The only downside is that this puts the power & volume buttons at an angle which I find a little awkward.

Performance is, as you'd expect, pretty much identical to the Fire, Antutu benchmark is 7535 vs Fires 7485

The screen is lush, that's the only way to describe it, it looks fantastic, as good as the Fire, maybe even better. It's not a retina display, but that's easy to forget. It's clearly better than my identical resolution A500.

One thing that is very noticeable compared to other Chinese tablets is how fast wifi is, Ainol have put a good quality antenna in this unit and its very obvious. Streaming 720p video over wifi from a upnp server was slick and responsive.

Bluetooth is very good too, but contrary to some reports there is no GPS in this model, I don't get much call for gps in 10 inch tablets but some people might miss it.

Android 4.1 works really well, it feels slick and snappy, I have not noticed any lag as yet. All the google apps work perfectly, the only issue I've had is some lag in a sideloaded version of the SMH reader app.

I tried out the new Shadowgun multiplayer beta and it ran smoothly at medium detail.

The cameras are pretty ordinary, not in the same class as brand name tablets, but I suppose when it's almost half the price, something has to give.

Battery life seems to be excellent, I played with it non-stop for 2 hours and lost only 18% juice with the screen at 50% brightness and wifi on (and downloading more often than not). I'm going to let it run a 720p movie on a loop overnight to see how it goes.

Like the previous poster I have managed to freeze up the Hero a couple of times, once with XBMC and once with Plex, it seems that it does not like the XBMC codebase, pressing the reset (inside the mic hole) fixed it up, but also like the previous poster battery went to 0%

One other piece of good news, the speakers are decently loud for a tablet, and not prone to distortion even at full volume.

I'll try to put up a short video showing it in action tonight if I have time.

I've already placed a second order based on my impressions.

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer them or test something, just ask.

#30 jubal1

jubal1

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm running the 1031 rom, but am planning to install the 1108 ROM to see if it makes a difference.

#31 shijo

shijo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationQatar

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hello Jubal,

thanks for sharing the experience with Ainol Novo 10 Hero. I have seen here some users experienced Low Mic volume. Did you feel it? Can you try to check it while using skype or after recording an audio. I appreciate your efforts to share and hope you will come back with more details and videos.

Once again..thanks

SHIJO

#32 lscolman

lscolman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Hi,

I tried Skype last night and the Mic volume is REALLY low. There is a mic hack fix I believe, but I haven't got around to trying it yet.

Thanks Juba1, a great mini review there. Reassuring to see that you also have the 0% battery on reset. I guess that's something they can look at in firmware.

Hi Mcdust, I'll give that sixaxis comp check a go tonight.

I use the 10th October build of XBMC from here:-
http://www.futeko.co...=thread&id=5098

The later build is glitchy and hangs on plugins. The earlier builds do not provided acceleration on plugins.

Something else I noticed is the device is considered HD when using the playstore. I have purchased dreamstreamoid pro and the HD version is loaded. Perhaps why lots of apps are now considered incompatible?

Cheers, Lee

Edited by lscolman, 16 November 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#33 manu2142

manu2142

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

though the configuration is pretty impressive but this tab shows lagging while scrolling and opening apps. wifi is not fast as it should be (being jelly bean). my phone performs better s2 ics. dual speakers are loud n clear and display is excellent as samsung tab or sony or others, not amazing as ipad.
this unit seriously needs firmware to work in coordination with configuration. tweak the juice out. oh yes battery with all day wifi works for 8 - 9 hours, didn't get to play high end games but fast touch response in gaming. slim and slick looks makes it look trendy. no plastic makes it worthy to show off.
recovery mod has an issue once you get in adb slideload command it can not exit. need to wait until battery drains.
conclusion: wait n watch for better firmware and this will turn out to be "the best buy" you have ever made. i m already feeling it. :good: :yahoo:

g sensor not working, i played temple run and tab movements are not working... is it only me?

Edited by manu2142, 17 November 2012 - 01:42 AM.

#34 lscolman

lscolman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi,
The hero is not rooted so six axis comp check can't run.

I'm relatively new to the world of web tablets and will read about rooting. Unless someone wants to advise me on here?

Cheers, Lee

Edited by lscolman, 16 November 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#35 lightake

lightake

SlateDroid Business Sellers

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Have a look at this review
http://www.slatedroi...ands-on-review/
Latest Android Mini PC -------->>> Click here
Wholesale Android Tablet PC ----------->>>>Click here
Cheap Smartphone--------->>>>>>>Click here

#36 mcdust

mcdust

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hi,
The hero is not rooted so six axis comp check can't run.

thanks for you afford Lee ..
so im gonna have to wait for rootaccess i guess.

#37 acestyadinata

acestyadinata

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hi, guys.
I got my ainol hero last week. It's quite impresive to me.
Until yesterday, it won't turned on.
I though the battery drained, but it's still won't work after charging.
What should I do? Please help.. I'm new and don't understand with this.

Thanks, ace.

Edited by acestyadinata, 17 November 2012 - 01:58 AM.

#38 acestyadinata

acestyadinata

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

Never mind.
I solved it out by pressing the reset button (in mic hole).

#39 shijo

shijo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationQatar

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Most of the users are having a positive feed back about the Ainol Novo 10 hero...So it seems I can buy one. I was searching in the net for a good Tablet over the net and my choice was a Built in 3G one. But a good Built in 3G Tab is not available in Chinese market. may be I need to wait for for that....

thanks

#40 jubal1

jubal1

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I tested Skype and it seems OK, the mic volume is a little low but it's not unusable.

The more time I spend with this tablet the more I like it. I've been using an A500 for the past 2 years but I think I'm going to keep one of these for myself and sell the A500.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users