• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#1 nick789uk

nick789uk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi anyone got there hands on this tab and also the captain for an insight to how it preforms thanks

#2 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

The Hero should be released later this month.
The Captain and other quad-core Ainol tablets will be launched late December at best. January - March 2013 is more realistic.

#3 sikke

sikke

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

I have Hero coming with DHL atm. lets hope i get before weekend

#4 Mr.LOVE

Mr.LOVE

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have Hero coming with DHL atm. lets hope i get before weekend

Kindly share your experience with it and its benchmark results with its received

#5 sikke

sikke

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Kindly share your experience with it and its benchmark results with its received

I have it now looks very good, performs well but lack of full language support firmware is disapointting. I hope feiyu will give us same firmware he has for Fire and this will be exceptional unit.
I like the black aluminium case it's better that in pictures, double speakers perform well too. Charger is 12v. Antutu 7804.
No usb charge is big disappointment too. Backplate says usb 5v 500mA, dc-in 12v 2.0A. Unit i have will not charge from USB anyways.

#6 Mr.LOVE

Mr.LOVE

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have it now looks very good, performs well but lack of full language support firmware is disapointting. I hope feiyu will give us same firmware he has for Fire and this will be exceptional unit.
I like the black aluminium case it's better that in pictures, double speakers perform well too. Charger is 12v. Antutu 7804.
No usb charge is big disappointment too. Backplate says usb 5v 500mA, dc-in 12v 2.0A. Unit i have will not charge from USB anyways.

Yes I read on different website this unit do not supports the charging via USB. What about the benchmark? and Screen. In a video review I saw on YouTube Screen size looks very small. It will be great if you could upload a review of this product.

#7 manu2142

manu2142

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

with reference with sikke post, yes the firmware is not properly compatible with the hardware specifications. touch vibration didnt work, development option was blocked, when it was working the resolution was impressive indeed but display frame of windows was not adjusted properly and font size, firmware bug? i could not make the benchmark. Google play worked properly and not many games are compatible maybe because of screen size or display. Yes, thank you guys for confirming that this device does not support usb charging back panel 5v = 500mA made me crazy figuring out how to charge because i did not receive charger with this unit.

i tried to enter recovery mod by pressing power and volume - it stuck on black screen, i connected the device and it showed as m3 chip on pc. and now after 10 hours its totally dead not even detected by pc as m3 chip. i guess battery has drained. guys help me, do i need to buy 12v charger for this device? or something else needed to be specified?

#8 Mr.LOVE

Mr.LOVE

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

with reference with sikke post, yes the firmware is not properly compatible with the hardware specifications. touch vibration didnt work, development option was blocked, when it was working the resolution was impressive indeed but display frame of windows was not adjusted properly and font size, firmware bug? i could not make the benchmark. Google play worked properly and not many games are compatible maybe because of screen size or display. Yes, thank you guys for confirming that this device does not support usb charging back panel 5v = 500mA made me crazy figuring out how to charge because i did not receive charger with this unit.

i tried to enter recovery mod by pressing power and volume - it stuck on black screen, i connected the device and it showed as m3 chip on pc. and now after 10 hours its totally dead not even detected by pc as m3 chip. i guess battery has drained. guys help me, do i need to buy 12v charger for this device? or something else needed to be specified?

Try charging with any standard charger which comes with microusb plug

#9 Arynd

Arynd

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hi anyone got there hands on this tab and also the captain for an insight to how it preforms thanks

I picked one up yesterday. So far I am pretty impressed. One problem I found, the mic volume is set very low and I cannot find any way to increase it. The problem makes the Novo 10 Hero almost useless for Skype, QQ, and other voice chats apps. Has anyone else experienced this? Any way to get around it??

I just tried charging my Novo 10 Hero using the supplied USB cable and a standard wall-wart. No luck... does not charge through the USB port.

My seller included the Ainol 12v wall charger. I have found NO way to charge using the USB port.

#10 jamesensor

jamesensor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

And what about the screen sensivity? Is it crappy like the A2?

#11 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

I picked one up yesterday. So far I am pretty impressed. One problem I found, the mic volume is set very low and I cannot find any way to increase it. The problem makes the Novo 10 Hero almost useless for Skype, QQ, and other voice chats apps. Has anyone else experienced this? Any way to get around it??

Same problem on the 7" Ainol tablets.
There's a way to increase microphone gain, at the expense of more recording noise.
You have to open a shell and experiment with the alsa_mixer command to find the right controls. There might be two - microphone volume and microphone boost.
See this thread and this one.

I just tried charging my Novo 10 Hero using the supplied USB cable and a standard wall-wart. No luck... does not charge through the USB port.
My seller included the Ainol 12v wall charger. I have found NO way to charge using the USB port.

I'm not surprised.
What Ainol did, according to this disassembly, is take two 3.7V 4000mAh cells and connect them in series. That results in a 7.4V 4000mAh battery - not a 3.7V 8000mAh one. However, the capacity is 29.6Wh (watt hours) in both cases.
The higher voltage is supposedly more efficient, but it's also the reason that a new wall charger is necessary. You can't directly charge a 7.4V battery with a lower voltage such as 5V from USB. In theory, USB charging could still be possible, if a step-up converter is used to transform the USB voltage to a higher one. However, Ainol apparently didn't include that possibility (maybe to keep the price down, maybe because it wouldn't work too well or maybe because they're lazy).

What's the rated current output of your 12V charger, if I may ask? 1A, 2A?

#12 lscolman

lscolman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I've ordered two Ainol hero tablets. First one should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I'm really looking forward to receiving it. I've been using a Zenithink C93 to tide me over for now.

As an owner of an Elf II and Aurora II, I'm hoping that the Hero should benefit from similar stable firmware. The only real differences are the screen resolution and inclusion of bluetooth, so hopefully that should make for a relatively painless firmware port from the 7" models.

I'm hoping the Christian Troy will do the business shortly with a version of CM10.

Can those people who have received them already confirm which suppliers provided an AC adaptor?

I've ordered one tablet from ipadalternative and the other one from hongkongeek

I'll report back on my experiences with the tablets when they arrive.

Cheers, Lee

#13 manu2142

manu2142

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

ok. i have now bought 12v charger, be sure that should be 2 Amp not 1 Amp. 12v - 2 Amp. it got charged up but i realized when i downloaded AML recovery i click start button so it erased my ROM. but i am able to get into recovery screen. this unit has no solution to turn off if it is stuck. u have to wait until battery drains. u can not shut it off via recovery mode. i m desperately waiting for firmware. anyone can suggest me alternative firmware?

#14 fstopsixteen

fstopsixteen

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hello

I have ordered 3 Ainol Novo 10 Hero tablets (2 for gifts) and they have been shipped. I based my purchase on my experience with my Aurora running Feiyu ICS. It will be disapointing not to be able to charge via usb and I am not sure if a charger will be included. I'll see when they arrive in the next few days. Reading some of your experiences has me kind of nervous; it looked fine in the video reviews. Are there really problems with the factory ROM?

Wayne

#15 sukanime

sukanime

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

ok. i have now bought 12v charger, be sure that should be 2 Amp not 1 Amp. 12v - 2 Amp. it got charged up but i realized when i downloaded AML recovery i click start button so it erased my ROM. but i am able to get into recovery screen. this unit has no solution to turn off if it is stuck. u have to wait until battery drains. u can not shut it off via recovery mode. i m desperately waiting for firmware. anyone can suggest me alternative firmware?

How about this ROM -> http://www.slatedroi...mware-411-1108/
Ainol Novo7 Aurora I + Custom ROM CM9 = SoC Allwinner A10 SingleCore Cortex A8 + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS ( already sold it )
Ainol Novo7 Aurora II + Official ROM 0626 = SoC Amlogic 8726-MX DualCore Cortex A9 + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS ( using it now )
Asus Google Nexus 7 16GB WiFi + Official ROM Nakasi JWR66Y = SoC Tegra 3 Quad Core @1,2Ghz + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS Coring Glass ( using it now )

#16 shijo

shijo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationQatar

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

Dear Friends,

Is it worthy to buy this tablet? OR Cube U30GT Dual Core 10.1 Inch IPS Dual Core Android 4.1 Tablet Win8 UI 32GB will be a better option. Expecting your replies...

SHIJO

#17 sukanime

sukanime

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Dear Friends,

Is it worthy to buy this tablet? OR Cube U30GT Dual Core 10.1 Inch IPS Dual Core Android 4.1 Tablet Win8 UI 32GB will be a better option. Expecting your replies...

SHIJO

For me, this one is much better than Cube U30GT, the new batch of Cube U30GT not using IPS Screen anymore.
Read this http://www.slatedroi...til-a-good-buy/ , Cube U30GT now using MVA Screen.

Btw, I'am still waiting for Captain for my next tablet... :)
Ainol Novo7 Aurora I + Custom ROM CM9 = SoC Allwinner A10 SingleCore Cortex A8 + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS ( already sold it )
Ainol Novo7 Aurora II + Official ROM 0626 = SoC Amlogic 8726-MX DualCore Cortex A9 + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS ( using it now )
Asus Google Nexus 7 16GB WiFi + Official ROM Nakasi JWR66Y = SoC Tegra 3 Quad Core @1,2Ghz + 1GB DDR3 + 7" IPS Coring Glass ( using it now )

#18 lscolman

lscolman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

My first of two heroes has arrived today.

This was from iPad alternative and came with an official ainol adaptor. Ordered on Friday and opted for DHL. Great service.

My first couple of hours with the hero and I am nothing but impressed.

The screen quality, superb. I had been using a zenithink c93. The Ainol is streets ahead.

I'm typing this on hero. On screen keyboard superb. Much easier than 7" tablet, but it was always going to be easier. Auto correction works a treat.

Mine arrived with 20121031 v2 firmware. I haven't come across any issues yet.

Screen is responsive to touches.

HD streaming is possible over WiFi. Something my Elf II, Aurora II and Zenitink C93 was capable of. This is a fantastic feature for me and shows that the WiFi chip is better than in previous tablets.

Build quality is a step up from the auroras, but watch out for the micro SD slot. Its upside down. You'll see what I mean.

I'll continue my testing over the coming days and report back.

Looking above these appears to a newer revision of firmware, but automatic update cannot see it. I'm going to leave it on its current revision.

Currently they look to be a very good tablet !!!!

Cheers, Lee

Edited by lscolman, 14 November 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#19 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

HD streaming is possible over WiFi. Something my Elf II, Aurora II and Zenitink C93 was capable of. This is a fantastic feature for me and shows that the WiFi chip is better than in previous tablets.

The WiFi+Bluetooth chip seems to be the same as used in the Fire/Flame ("WL-212", some Broadcom chip... the source code should reveal the exact model).

HD streaming is possible over WiFi on my Aurora 2 as well - up to a certain bitrate. The maximum I can get seems to be 15 Mbps (about 1.8 MiB/s) on Feiyu 1105. I think I got slightly better streaming speeds with older firmwares.
Can you give any specific numbers? What was the bitrate of the videos you streamed?

Edited by Tzul, 14 November 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#20 mcdust

mcdust

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

hey guys,
can anyone who owns this tab already please try if sixaxis controller works, that would be great.
Also hows the Battery life with browsing and a little bit of playing?
and also how long is the standby time?
would be interesting to get some real testing results instead of the specs of the manufacturer!
thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users