Pipo Smart S1 Review

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmoeller

jmoeller

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

I have never written a review before, so please let me know if I am missing anything or if you have any questions...

Pipo Smart S1

Build quality - The S1 build quality is quite good. Everything "fits", no gaps between parts, no misfitting buttons, etc. The screen came with a screen protector applied but there were enough bubbles in it that I removed it. Without the screen protector it looks really good. There are only three buttons (power, vol up, and vol down). They feel a bit stiff but provide good feedback to know that they were pressed.

Screen - The screen is only 800 x 480 which is on the low end. However, the screen is pretty amazing. I had to double check the specs because the screen looks much better than other similar devices I have used (Ainol Tornado). Apart from the resolution, there is really nothing to complain about. It is bright and has a pretty wide viewing angle. The touch response is excellent.

Ports - The device has a headphone jack, micro USB, micro HDMI, charging port and a micro SD slot. It comes with an adapter from micro USB to standard USB. I connected a few flash drives with no problems. I don't have a supported USB modem to test. The device does not charge via micro USB. Rather it comes with another cable with USB on one end and a small round plug on the other. It does not come with a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. I had one on hand and connected the tablet to my 23 inch monitor. It was immediately recognized and worked very well. The microSD slot is well placed and it is easy to get cards in and out.

OS - The device ships with Jelly Bean (4.1.1) and includes all of the standard apps one would expect (gmail, Play Store, etc.). I don't know if it is the chipset or Jelly Bean or most likely a combination of both, but it is very responsive. In addition to the new Chrome browser, they have included the "old" browser which still supports Flash. There was minimal "junk" installed and all but one weather app (in Chinese) was able to be removed in the standard way. The device does not come rooted (but it can be rooted (see hackability).

Camera - It is there. Nothing great but adequate.

Speaker - The speaker isn't very strong and is located on the back of the tablet.

Wifi - Performance is good and signal strength is pretty good as well. Much better than the Ainol Tornado.

Battery - It has been hard to get a good feel for this. For the project I am involved with battery life is important. So far, we have found that the OS doesn't accurately report battery charge. However, it charges in a reasonble amount of time and would probably last for four hours of constant use with wifi on and screen brightness at full.

Hackability - I was able to root the tablet using the ZhuoDaShi-2.2.0 tool. Once rooted I was able to install superuser and busybox. I was also able to install CWM 5.5.0 on the device using the instructions for another tablet with the same chipset. Getting the device working with ADB has been a challenge but I have been able to get around the problem. I hope to document all of this soon and will post to the forum.

Summary - I am really impressed with this tablet. The responsiveness is great. The hackability is great. The build quality is very good. I really don't have anything bad to say about it. (Understanding that I knowingly purchased a tablet with a 480 x 800 display). If I could increase the resolution and have it charge via the Micro USB, it would be near perfect (again for an inexpensive tablet). I still prefer larger screens but for the money, the Pipo Smart S1 is worth the dough.

Questions? Comments/Corrections?
  • Tango One likes this

#2 MAX Reitzel

MAX Reitzel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks, great review, actually thinking about buying this as a companion to my PIPO M1, for using just as an ebook reader by my bed, and $70 is a steal... :good:
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Winston Churchill

#3 al5911

al5911

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

@jmoeller,
What a great news you're bringing here mate. Thanks. Me too already rooted my S1 with ZhuoDaShi-2.2.10 tool. But I still not installing CMW because I'm not sure if CWM 5.5.0 for rk3066 compatible with this tab. So I can try to install CWM now... :good:

#4 Tango One

Tango One

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for the review I've been debating to get a few of these as present for Christmas.

#5 Jackhasasammy

Jackhasasammy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Hey there, ive just got this tablet today and its alright, it would be great if 2 things worked (Battery jumps to 100% and mic doesnt seem to work)

If you could possibly do a how to on how to root and install CWM i would be very greatful

Please reply, Jack! :)

#6 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

WOOT!

Very nice review :). My Sample S1 is on it's way. TNT has been wanting to sell this unit for Christmas as a "cheap" stocking stuffer item. I am really happy to hear the build quality and Wifi are good!

We should pump out some custom firmware in the very near future!

Regards,

Roman
  • MAX Reitzel likes this
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#7 kisamesama

kisamesama

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

interested in this tablet actually to replace my secondary desktop pc which recently burnt...the latter was used mainly for emailing and browsing so i think an android tab can be a replacement... but the resolution seems a bit low as i am going to use it mainly via a 15" lcd with keyboard and mouse...

so questions:

1. can i connect a keyboard and mouse to the tab and do they work well (or do i need somekind of powered usb hub)
2. can you increase the resolution via hdmi? i.e. when i connect it to an lcd, can i set a higher resolution for the lcd?

thx for your replies.... on a side note: is there a good office app replacement for microsoft office on android now? (last time i checked, the best office apps were nothing near microsoft office)

#8 sounreal

sounreal

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

2. can you increase the resolution via hdmi? i.e. when i connect it to an lcd, can i set a higher resolution for the lcd?

Yes you can from 720P 50 or 60Hz all the way to 1080p 50 or 60HZ.