Photo

New Ainol Crystal? Here's Your "Get Started" Guide!

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#21 big_waya

big_waya

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hi again FI,
Hope you have the patience to deal with my lack of android/tablet knowledge. When I tried to follow you instructions I got as far as "apply update from EXT" and using the VOL- button, scroll down to the SoulGem ROM you placed on your external SD card. That's as far as I can go. The next screen shows "Android system recovery <3e>. On the next line "Choose a package to install:" On the last line "/sdcard". There are no other choices. Honestly, I am not sure the SoulGem downloaded onto the SD card. I am unsure how to check to see if the download was successful. Do you think I should uninstall the data from the SD card - if it is there, and from my desk top PC then start all over again. You asked if I could not download to the SD card and yes I don't think Soul/Gem is downloading to the SD card. Since I cannot connect to the internet nor to my email accounts, could that be a problem? I hope I am making this clear. Thanks.

#22 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hi again FI,
Hope you have the patience to deal with my lack of android/tablet knowledge. When I tried to follow you instructions I got as far as "apply update from EXT" and using the VOL- button, scroll down to the SoulGem ROM you placed on your external SD card. That's as far as I can go. The next screen shows "Android system recovery <3e>. On the next line "Choose a package to install:" On the last line "/sdcard". There are no other choices. Honestly, I am not sure the SoulGem downloaded onto the SD card. I am unsure how to check to see if the download was successful. Do you think I should uninstall the data from the SD card - if it is there, and from my desk top PC then start all over again. You asked if I could not download to the SD card and yes I don't think Soul/Gem is downloading to the SD card. Since I cannot connect to the internet nor to my email accounts, could that be a problem? I hope I am making this clear. Thanks.

It's been a while for me so I can't remember exactly and since I'm using CM10, I have the Clockwork Recovery now. So under "/sdcard" it doesn't say anything at all? It doesn't say "../" and then list your file? If it does say "../" try selecting that and seeing what it says. If it says something like "/sdcard0" and "/sdcard1" then I believe sdcard1 is your external card, so select that and see if the files are there, if not try the other card. "../" basically means "go back." If nothing is showing up, it could be possible that your SD card is not formatted properly but beyond that I'm not really sure what to do besides google how to format it. I'd try the SoulGem ROM thread for more advice if you get stuck but you are welcome to continue asking questions here and maybe someone else will be able to answer. The SoulGem ROM thread just has way more readers and my thread is more about CM10 at the moment.
If I've helped you set-up your new tablet, unbrick your device or if you use and enjoy my Amlogic AML8726-M Series ROM's
please consider a donation.
My ROMS - *Crystal Clear (Ainol Crystal) *Anti-Hero (Ainol Hero) *Elenari (Ainol Elf2) *Astronautica (Ainol Aurora2) *Karbonn Custom (Karbonn SmartTab ST8 & ST10)
My DEVICES - *HP Touchpad *Ainol Crystal *Ainol Hero *Ainol Fire *Cube U30GT Mini-S *Nexus 7 (2013)
I don't respond to most PM's just because of the amount I get. If you have a question the best way to get an answer is to post in one of my threads.

My Ainol Crystal "Get Started" Guide. ----- My "How To Unbrick Your Amlogic AML8726-MX Series Tablet" Guide. ----- Go check out my music - It's all free!!!

#23 kaeru618157

kaeru618157

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

I still get that sometimes as well but I don't get the problem where I touch somewhere and it registers half an inch away anymore. I've found that I have to press a little harder on the Crystal than I do on my other devices but I've started getting used to it after a couple of weeks of use.

I do that too, pressing harder. Now I know it's not just my Crystal. Thanks for the feedback.

#24 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I do that too, pressing harder. Now I know it's not just my Crystal. Thanks for the feedback.

So I did some major testing with that "show touches" option and also the "pointer location" option in the "settings - developer options" menu. After tracing the entire screen many times, I couldn't find any completely dead or unresponsive spots, it only happened sometimes. What I did find, using the "pointer location" option, which also shows you swipes, is that the Crystal definitely has a problem with not registering some touches or failing to register the entire swipe. I also tested the screen by pressing at different sensitivities and I don't think pressing harder is really the solution. I do find that, in general, I have to press a tiny bit harder than on my HP Touchpad, but it's not that much and pressing harder in the same spot that just became unresponsive didn't help, it took several taps most of the time to get it to register.

I'm not a developer or a programmer but I think the problem isn't with the screen itself but with the ROM, Kernel, CPU or something. I think when we are touching an "unresponsive" spot, it's not actually the screen that's unresponsive, it's a lag in the system. I noticed when using "show touches" in some games, that swipe gestures would lag behind my finger sometimes and then jump to the current location, to catch up. Also I found out that two edges of the screen aren't responsive all the way to the edge, it appears to always be the bottom of the screen and the right side of the screen, no matter what way your rotate the tablet though, it's always the bottom and the right. So again, it looks like it's not the screen itself because if you rotate the screen 180 degrees, that same area will then be responsive all the way to the edge.

So I'm hoping this will be fixed eventually in by a Custom ROM.
  • syco and like this
If I've helped you set-up your new tablet, unbrick your device or if you use and enjoy my Amlogic AML8726-M Series ROM's
My ROMS - *Crystal Clear (Ainol Crystal) *Anti-Hero (Ainol Hero) *Elenari (Ainol Elf2) *Astronautica (Ainol Aurora2) *Karbonn Custom (Karbonn SmartTab ST8 & ST10)
My DEVICES - *HP Touchpad *Ainol Crystal *Ainol Hero *Ainol Fire *Cube U30GT Mini-S *Nexus 7 (2013)
I don't respond to most PM's just because of the amount I get. If you have a question the best way to get an answer is to post in one of my threads.

My Ainol Crystal "Get Started" Guide. ----- My "How To Unbrick Your Amlogic AML8726-MX Series Tablet" Guide. ----- Go check out my music - It's all free!!!

#25 michaels

michaels

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Has anyone gotten netflix to work on this tablet? i downloaded the app from the market and all that happens when i click to open it is flash on the screen then nothing happens.

#26 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Has anyone gotten netflix to work on this tablet? i downloaded the app from the market and all that happens when i click to open it is flash on the screen then nothing happens.

I don't use Netflix so I'm not totally sure but there has been a lot of talk on the CM10 thread and it says that it's compatible, I also say that there was a patch for the newest version.

#27 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Made some minor updates to include more info on the SoulGem ROM, added some additional info about SD cards and added another keyboard app option called Thumb Keyboard.
  • syco likes this

#28 trvbone

trvbone

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Made some minor updates to include more info on the SoulGem ROM, added some additional info about SD cards and added another keyboard app option called Thumb Keyboard.

That keyboard looks amazing! I'll stick with Swype on my phone but I'm thinking I'll put this one on my ainol crystals when I get them.

Sent from my SGS3:AOKP M1 260dpi Lean Kernel 1.7exp JT Inverted gapps

#29 bosun

bosun

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi I have unzipped the latest firmware folder and now have a folder of the same name just not compressed.Is this the folder I put on to the sd card or do I have to open this folder also.When I do open it there are more folders inside (META.INF)(recovery)(system)there are also 4 image files.
Is there any difinitive guide on how to do this for the crystal I cant find one.
Help wth this would be great as I dont want to f... it up
Thanks and i will be using some of your tutorials at a later date.

Edited by bosun, 07 November 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#30 Sonic-NKT

Sonic-NKT

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi I have unzipped the latest firmware folder and now have a folder of the same name just not compressed.Is this the folder I put on to the sd card or do I have to open this folder also.When I do open it there are more folders inside (META.INF)(recovery)(system)there are also 4 image files.
Is there any difinitive guide on how to do this for the crystal I cant find one.

you dont extract a firmware zip,the gapps zip or the compatibility zip... just place it on the SD and install it through CWM, atleast thats what you have to do for CM10.

#31 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sonic-NKT is correct and that's what you do for all ROM's. I thought I wrote up a pretty good guide here. Read it through and if you still have a problem go ahead and ask.

#32 bosun

bosun

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Sonic-NKT is correct and that's what you do for all ROM's. I thought I wrote up a pretty good guide here. Read it through and if you still have a problem go ahead and ask.

The folder that you download is a zip password protected folder.I have the password as it is supplied in Soulfliers link. Ainol Novo 7 Crystal Android 4.1.1 0928 firmware: http://www.mediafire...m2c8b0xav3203jd (File password: www.caveat emptor.com)

So will cwm bypass this password in which case ill just put it on my Sd card

Edited by bosun, 07 November 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#33 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

The folder that you download is a zip password protected folder.I have the password as it is supplied in Soulfliers link. Ainol Novo 7 Crystal Android 4.1.1 0928 firmware: http://www.mediafire...m2c8b0xav3203jd (File password: www.ainolstore.com)

So will cwm bypass this password in which case ill just put it on my Sd card

If you are trying to re-install the stock firmware you need to delete the CWR files you extracted from the zip and put in your external SD card (if you actually did that and tried to install CM10). They are called "u-boot.bin" and "uImage_recovery." You only use Clockwork Recovery for CM10. SoulGem and the Stock ROM use the stock recovery which is built into the tablet. If for any reason you wrecked your stock recovery by doing something wrong, let me know and I can link you to the file.

#34 bosun

bosun

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

If you are trying to re-install the stock firmware you need to delete the CWR files you extracted from the zip and put in your external SD card (if you actually did that and tried to install CM10). They are called "u-boot.bin" and "uImage_recovery." You only use Clockwork Recovery for CM10. SoulGem and the Stock ROM use the stock recovery which is built into the tablet. If for any reason you wrecked your stock recovery by doing something wrong, let me know and I can link you to the file.

I havent done anything yet.Im just want to update firmware to 9028.Im confused as to what files or folders I have to put on the sd card.If someone could download the file http://www.mediafire...m2c8b0xav3203jd (File password: www.caveat emptor.com)and have a look that would be great.
Its not just a case of putting a zipped folder on the sd card I could do that according to a tutorial you have to extract files and put them on to the root of the sd card.
https://s3.amazonaws...ware Update.pdf
Im sorry if I havent been clear earlier and I dont want to be annoying.
Thanks

#35 kaeru618157

kaeru618157

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

So I did some major testing with that "show touches" option and also the "pointer location" option in the "settings - developer options" menu. After tracing the entire screen many times, I couldn't find any completely dead or unresponsive spots, it only happened sometimes. What I did find, using the "pointer location" option, which also shows you swipes, is that the Crystal definitely has a problem with not registering some touches or failing to register the entire swipe. I also tested the screen by pressing at different sensitivities and I don't think pressing harder is really the solution. I do find that, in general, I have to press a tiny bit harder than on my HP Touchpad, but it's not that much and pressing harder in the same spot that just became unresponsive didn't help, it took several taps most of the time to get it to register.

I'm not a developer or a programmer but I think the problem isn't with the screen itself but with the ROM, Kernel, CPU or something. I think when we are touching an "unresponsive" spot, it's not actually the screen that's unresponsive, it's a lag in the system. I noticed when using "show touches" in some games, that swipe gestures would lag behind my finger sometimes and then jump to the current location, to catch up. Also I found out that two edges of the screen aren't responsive all the way to the edge, it appears to always be the bottom of the screen and the right side of the screen, no matter what way your rotate the tablet though, it's always the bottom and the right. So again, it looks like it's not the screen itself because if you rotate the screen 180 degrees, that same area will then be responsive all the way to the edge.

So I'm hoping this will be fixed eventually in by a Custom ROM.

That's quite true - when I rotate the tablet, the unresponsive part (bottom phablet ui) becomes responsive (right side tablet ui). It's a bit of an annoyance but can live with it.

#36 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I havent done anything yet.Im just want to update firmware to 9028.Im confused as to what files or folders I have to put on the sd card.If someone could download the file http://www.mediafire...m2c8b0xav3203jd (File password: www.ainolstore.com)and have a look that would be great.
Its not just a case of putting a zipped folder on the sd card I could do that according to a tutorial you have to extract files and put them on to the root of the sd card.
https://s3.amazonaws...ware Update.pdf
Im sorry if I havent been clear earlier and I dont want to be annoying.
Thanks

It's no problem, those instructions aren't for the Crystal so they can be confusing. Your download link is broken but I'm assuming you are linking to the firmware here. That is the correct official firmware for the Crystal. Once you download the file you unzip/extract it and you will get a folder called "Novo 7 Crystal 0928 Android 4.1.1" and inside will be three files, "g06ref-ota-eng.grady.wang.zip" "u-boot.bin" and "uImage_recovery" which you want to copy into the root of your EXTERNAL SD CARD.

You don't extract the file called "g06ref-ota-eng.grady.wang.zip" that is the firmware and you need it to be a .zip file to flash it in recovery. The other two files are the Stock Recovery. Follow the instructions for flashing the SoulGem ROM but instead of flashing his firmware's zip file, flash "g06ref-ota-eng.grady.wang.zip" instead.

In the Stock Recovery, you scroll down to select "apply update from EXT" and hit the POWER button. Select that .zip file which is your firmware and select it with the POWER button. I don't have the Stock Recovery, so if for any reason if doesn't say "apply update from EXT" it will probably say "Install zip from sdcard" and then after that "choose zip from sdcard," then you hit the POWER button to select "g06ref-ota-eng.grady.wang.zip" to install the firmware. Reboot the device and you are good to go.

#37 bosun

bosun

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

[quote name='fuser-invent' timestamp='1352392066' post='451802']
It's no problem, those instructions aren't for the Crystal so they can be confusing. Your download link is broken but I'm assuming you are linking to the firmware here. That is the correct official firmware for the Crystal. Once you download the file you unzip/extract it and you will get a folder called "Novo 7 Crystal 0928 Android 4.1.1" and inside will be three files, "g06ref-ota-eng.grady.wang.zip" "u-boot.bin" and "uImage_recovery" which you want to copy into the root of your EXTERNAL SD CARD.

You don't extract the file called "g06ref-ota-eng.grady.wang.zip" that is the firmware and you need it to be a .zip file to flash it in recovery. The other two files are the Stock Recovery. Follow the instructions for flashing the SoulGem ROM but instead of flashing his firmware's zip file, flash "g06ref-ota-eng.grady.wang.zip" instead.

In the Stock Recovery, you scroll down to select "apply update from EXT" and hit the POWER button. Select that .zip file which is your firmware and select it with the POWER button. I don't have the Stock Recovery, so if for any reason if doesn't say "apply update from EXT" it will probably say "Install zip from sdcard" and then after that "choose zip from sdcard," then you hit the POWER button to select "g06ref-ota-eng.grady.wang.zip" to install the firmware. Reboot the device and you are good to go.
[/quote

Thats it perfect I know what to do now.I really appreciate your help thanks.
I know who to ask in future if I get stuck.

Cheers fuser-invent

#38 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thats it perfect I know what to do now.I really appreciate your help thanks.
I know who to ask in future if I get stuck.

Cheers fuser-invent

You are very welcome, enjoy your new tablet!

#39 Oleg M

Oleg M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Can anyone give me driver to connect my tablet to PC (adb mode)?
I have one, but it work not so good.

I try adb and after it my Crystal not recognize to PC as flash drive (I have turned off the debug mode). And I reflashing CM10, now Crystal works good.

Edited by Oleg M, 09 November 2012 - 01:04 AM.

Oleg M (aka atc58)
Ainol Crystal (old batch)

#40 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Can anyone give me driver to connect my tablet to PC (adb mode)?
I have one, but it work not so good.

I try adb and after it my Crystal not recognize to PC as flash drive (I have turned off the debug mode). And I reflashing CM10, now Crystal works good.

I tried the Elf II ADB drivers and they didn't work well so I turned USB debug mode off as well. As far as I know there are no Crystal ADB drivers yet. The best bet would to be to ask one of the firmware developers like Christian Troy or Soulflier.