Android Tablets Forum banner

Pipo Movie M3 with updated fixed firmware and Mini Review

124K views 300 replies 76 participants last post by  Wendiko 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK I managed to get the updated fixed firmware (supplied by E Digitech, thanks) and can report that it has fixed the CPU low clockspeed problem and standby losing time issue. You can now also run any benchmark program.

WARNING: Your Pipo M3 should go into Flash Mode by holding the Vol+ with the power off and then pressing reset. If the Pipo M3 does not go into flash mode via the VOL+ and reset button method it means either you don't have the drivers installed or you have an older version of the mainboard.

How to Identify which board you have (UPDATED as kernel number is no longer thought to be a reliable method):

1. If your serial is older (lower) than 12090350 there is a high chance you have the old mainboard (thanks to invu2day).

OR

2. NOT recommended:
If you are able to open up the tablet (from the front) you can see which board you have.
The newer board is the DS973 C_1.1
The older board is the DS973H_V1.2

If any of the Pipo M3 updates intended for the newer board are applied to the older board then you will most likely brick the tablet! The firmware flashes okay but the tablet will not boot up again and the pc will not recognise it again. I have seen three M3s so far and all of them went into flash mode ok via Vol+ and reset and all updated to the fixed firmware correctly. You might also be able to get into flash mode using RKAndroidTool v1.35.

Having said all that if you flash your tablet you do so at your own risk and I will not be held responsible for any bricked tablets. If in doubt don't flash it.

Antutu Benchmark results: 7734
Quadrant: 4111
Sunspider: 1199.3 mS (!!)
CFBench: 13330

The tablet seems MUCH smoother and is now a real contender in the 10.1 inch stakes.
I don't like the default launcher so have replaced it with Nova which also seems much smoother than the default one. I also noticed that the keyboard seemed much better with the new firmware. I still notice a few missed touches with the screen e.g. when trying to press/hold select an app from the app drawer to place on the desktop screen it sometimes takes 2 or 3 attempts. It's not a serious issue though and I would imagine it being fixed in a future firmware.

The screen brightness, sharpness and viewing angles are all very good and perfectly usable. You may have seen my recent comparison shots of the M3 versus the Cube U30GT-H. The Cube definitely goes brighter but having said that I wouldn't use it at that brightness in normal use. The M3 is more than bright enough.

I need to do a proper battery test but I have been able to use the tablet for a couple of days intermittently on a single charge. I will update the battery results after further use.

Wifi is very good as with the M1 and M2 - Wifi Analyser gives me -40dbm close to the router and -58 dbm at the farthest point in my house (upstairs on opposite side of house).

EDIT: After recent availability issues and lots of WiFi and Touchscreen problems I can no longer recommend the Pipo Movie M3. For a 10.1 inch tablet I would go for a Cube U30GT-H or Window (Yuandao / Vido) N101-II. I am also awaiting reports on the Ployer Momo12 which looks like a good alternative.

Jez

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is there any way in software to find out the board version? If I need to send this back to edigitech on ###########, I don't want to pull the thing apart. But if I'm honest, every time I follow the instructions, nothing happens.
It's sad, because other than that, this is a great tablet. Feels nice to hold, the screen is absolutely beautiful, the sound is decent from the front facing speakers.. touch sensitivity is good..

#4 ·
Is there any way in software to find out the board version? If I need to send this back to edigitech on ###########, I don't want to pull the thing apart. But if I'm honest, every time I follow the instructions, nothing happens.
Also, the charging port on this thing is hopeless, you have to really push it in and not touch it one little bit because the light goes off if you so much as cough on it.
It's sad, because other than that, this is a great tablet. Feels nice to hold, the screen is absolutely beautiful, the sound is decent from the front facing speakers.. touch sensitivity is good..
Not that I know of. This information came from a reliable source who apparently got it from a Pipo Engineer. I wouldn't recommend pulling the tablet apart.

Are you sure that you are holding down the Vol+ (keeping it held down) depressing the reset button on the back of the tablet with a paper clip or similar (not the POWER button). While still holding down the Vol+ plug in the USB cable to the USB port (not USB OTG port)?

My charging port is very solid with a nice click to confirm that the connector is in.

Jez

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, I've definitely followed all the instructions I've seen, made sure it was in the correct USB port and so on.
Haha, OK, I take it back, the power port is perfect. But it needed a lot more force than I thought to get it in, that's me being cautious. Once you ram it in, you're right, it's extremely secure. I really haven't used it all that much so far.

Edit: ALL RESOLVED. For some reason I had a retarded problem relating the USB port I was using. It works perfectly. Very happy with it.

#6 ·
Awesome, glad it is finally working as it should. How does these scores compare to other similar tabs. This tablet seems really nice now, especially with the two speakers. Pipo just needs to bring out a 32gb version now, then it would be the perfect cheap tablet.

Thanks for the information.

#7 ·
Pirot, I found that I couldn't flash my firmware using one of my laptops usb 3 ports. It did work through an e-sata port though...
I also had to put the tablet into recovery mode and then install the drivers to get the flash tool to recognize the tablet.

I don't know if they have fixed it too but the sound seems to be balanced now instead of blearing out of the left speaker.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pirot,

I am still using the Rockchip drivers that I installed back in May when I got my first rk3066 tablet (Cube UT30GT). I have used this on numerous tablets since then including the M3. So you could try my original instructions which are here. In particular note point 9.

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/33528-Firmware-Upgrade-Instructions

Obviously you need to ignore any cube specific bits.

Jez

#10 ·
If you are in the UK I would suggest buying from E-Digitech. It will come pre flashed and ready to go. His customer service is excellent too. Anybody that can put up with my fussiness deserves a medal

#11 ·
Jez many thanks for this, your a star.

I appreciate how busy you have been but when you get the time could you comment on any SD card issues and possible fixes ?
It seems a lot of Rockchip Tabs have problems with various SD cards, especially over 16GB, so your opinion would be appreciated.........

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi stanton,

You're welcome

I have had my 32Gb Sandisk MicroSD card in for a couple of days so far without corruption (I removed it before reflashing). This card gave me lots of problems with the Cube U30GT-W. I'll let you know if I get any problems.

I have just updated the first post with the results of Antutu Battery Tester (pretty good too).

Jez

#13 ·
Great find Jezzer! Glad we finally have some working firmware and a good download link! Thanks a ton!

I will start working on TNT Release 1 which will follow the same changes that we have implemented in all our other firmware. Hopefully will have something by tomorrow at the latest!

Regards!

Roman

#14 ·
Thanks Roman, I will look forward to trying out M3 TNT release 1!

Jez

#15 ·
Just did "speed modding" (I have to work my other full-time IT job tonight
...) and the first release is done. I am loading it right now to test. Lets see how much stuff I broke lol.

My only concern is the launcher, I stole the JB launcher I have been using in my M1 releases and I know it doesn't work well on the N101 II so I am not sure how it will do on the M3. Will see, if not, I will need to find another stock JB launcher file to try. Meh... Will see how it goes and if it goes well there should be a new thread soon.

Cheers

Roman

#16 ·
WOOT WOOT! This device runs AMAZING NOW! Launcher is SO MUCH SMOOTHER!

I am going to make a new thread!

#17 ·
vs. the Yuandao N101 II there is now NO comparison. The M3 is SOOOO much smoother and faster and the sound is incredibly good it is a no brainer to get the M3. The Build Quality is better to and PiPo has proven itself time and again to be a significantly better company than either Yuandao or Cube when it comes to fixing issues. I mean honestly, they had new firmware out in 1 week instead of 1 month to fix the issues on the M3 and they routinely still release firmware for the M1.

The best all-around 10.1" China Tab is the M3 imho but I will admit I have only had the N101 II to compare against.

I would write up a separate review but I figure why bother

Regards,

Roman

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's good to know. The N101 II is the only competitor I hadn't compared side by side. Looks like the M3 is a keeper then

My only complaint was having to jump through hoops to get the fixed firmware! I mean it has been out since Thursday but PiPo still haven't put it on their website via that awful Raysource abomination. I still haven't had a reply from Pipo's customer liaison person Amy Ye either.

Jez

#29 ·
its ok to jump on and buy, but is there a way of fixing the old style board, as stated previously i cannot get to go into update mode. I only purchased mine a few weeks ago direct from Pipo and came with old style board so there is still a good chance others will receive this type also.

#30 ·
Hi djpleasure,

I think you have not received an answer because nobody (apart from maybe a Pipo engineer) yet knows how you can flash the older motherboard M3s with the currently available firmware. As my original post states I was told that if any of the Pipo M3 updates are applied to the older board then it will most likely brick the tablet.

As you ordered directly from Pipo perhaps you could get an answer from them? I do find it annoying that their firmware update page doesn't even mention the M3 yet. Maybe they are sorting out firmware updates for older and newer M3s before they officially publish anything. We could end up with a similar situation to the Cube U30GT which has two variants of firmware, W and H for the older and newer versions of that tablet.

Have you confirmed that your tablet is using the older motherboard? It was also suggested that RKAndroidTool v1.35 could be used to get into flash mode but if your tablet is using the old motherboard I would be wary. If you want to take a chance (I wouldn't) it is included in most of 900Supersport ROMs over on freaktab so you could maybe d/load one of those to extract the tool.

Jez

#31 ·
Pipo are a Joke, I am in contact with them as I have been for the last few weeks, firstly to try to rectify dodgy volume button that sticks down all the time, had to start a Paypal claim, still not resolved that, keep telling me they will partial refund but keep making excuses. Regarding the firmware, again chasing chasing chasing, very poor to say the least. The risk to others is, they still ship these old type boards and they are fully aware of the known defects, money comes first with them, customer service simply does not exist. I confirmed board via opening as had to open to try to fix this button issue, ironically the case is scratched heavily internally just where the switches are so assume another known issue, vol. down still sticks regardless. Not going to chance the upgrade. If I do get further help and info from Pipo (Dont hold your breath) I will post it on here as a new thread relating to this version mb. I did try manual install drivers but get error 10 device cannot start. (Windows 7 x86)

#37 ·
Got mine from UK supplier Ingadget. Dearer than importing yourself but much less risky imho.

Jez

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

#49 ·
Got mine from UK supplier Ingadget. Dearer than importing yourself but much less risky imho.
Jez
Preordered from them this afternoon.
Yes a bit more expensive but the tablet comes rooted and with the latest firmware updates/upgrades pre installed.
Also they perform a UK quality check, supply a case and HDMI lead and If you pre order you will have a lower remaining total to pay,
or will see an upgrade in delivery or case.
Also UK shipping so no tax issues for me, so, all in all it's a fair price when you weigh everything up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.