AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, Netherlands

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hi everybody,
I am creating this thread so that we can post information about the new Actions Semiconductor ATM7029 quad-core SoC. Apparently as of October 12, it is the latest SoC to reach the Chinese tablet market and both Ramos and Ainol are basing some of their new tablets on this chip.

Here is a picture of a tablet main circuit board with the ATM7029 occupying the main spot (extracted from Charbax's video which I already linked to). I labelled the main chips visible on the picture.

Posted Image

#2 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

The two large chips at the bottom left of that image are Micron MLC NAND Flash (8GB each), the four smaller ones in a row are Hynix DDR3 SDRAM (256MB each).
The one on the right definitely bears the Actions logo. Do they make audio chips? Could also be a power management unit.
Pity that the writing on the WiFi module is illegible, I would have liked to know what it is.

So, the ATM7029 apparently supports USB 3.0. That's nice, but I wonder if it's actually going to be useful. I mean, if the speeds of the internal flash or micro SD card don't exceed the USB2 limits, then what's the point?
Anyway, if it means that the WiFi module in future Ainol tablets won't be connected via SDIO and will achieve respectable transfer speeds, then I'm all for it. ;)

#3 Maverik18

Maverik18

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

What haves me intrigued is the gpu performance of this SoC. Any of you have a link to some benchmarks or comparison with known gpu's?

#4 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

I did a short write-up about this processor (with respect to Ainol). I did share my thoughts directly about the Vivante GC1000... I am not exactly all that keen about it :(

Folks that are interested can read it here, interested to get some feedback.

You can read it here: http://www.topnotcht...ts.com/articles

Title:
"AINOL'S NEW CHOICE FOR A QUAD-CORE, THE "ACT-ACT7029" - JUST A MARKETING MOVE?"

Regards,

Roman
  • Maverik18 likes this
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#5 munka

munka

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

I'm not sold yet that it even is a gc1000. I've come across some specs on a Ramos tablet using the atm7029 and they claim it is a Mali 400. Until someone actually sees and tests one were all just going off what a Google search comes up with.

agreed though if it is a gc1000 it will be a flop that doesn't get the same enthusiast community support.

#6 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

Ditto :-)

I am hoping it is the Mali chipset. Google does know all though :-)

Regards,

Roman

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#7 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

New info:
A German reseller with contacts to Ainol was told that the ATM7029 is released only on December 14th. Ainol is currently playing around with 10 sample/prototype boards. The GPU is said to be a Mali-450 MP4.
Kernel sources expected in March 2013.

#8 max1001

max1001

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

New info:
A German reseller with contacts to Ainol was told that the ATM7029 is released only on December 14th. Ainol is currently playing around with 10 sample/prototype boards. The GPU is said to be a Mali-450 MP4.

Preorder started already and they list it as mali400 but you know it's all taken with a grain of salt.
I am hoping it's at least 4 cores Mali 450.

#9 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Preorder started already and they list it as mali400 but you know it's all taken with a grain of salt.

Who is "they"? If you're referring to a reseller such as ainol-novo.com, then yeah, they might be taking preorders already, but that doesn't mean they know more than we do. There's so much misinformation on that site that you need an entire barrel of salt. Respectable stores will probably want to wait taking preoders until the specifications are finalized.

Anyway, I trust that source a lot more than the likes of ainol-novo.com (who claim to be THE official Ainol store but are more likely just an authorized reseller). But yes, so far nothing is definite. That's why I worded my previous post as I did (was told, is said to be...).

Edited by Tzul, 07 November 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#10 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

that the ATM7029 is released only on December 14th. Ainol is currently playing around with 10 sample/prototype boards. The GPU is said to be a Mali-450 MP4.

OK. There really is no way to know for certain what GPU it comes with. We will know for sure when the tablet is released. Too much misinformation happens in China to know what is real and what is not. ie. sometimes they lie. Could be multi-core Mali450, Mali400, GC1000 or GC2000.

Time will tell us for sure. But if chip is still in production, then very good chance they may have gone with Mali450 GPUs. Fingers crossed and waiting to see what happens.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#11 buzz86us

buzz86us

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

can't wait to see how this performs odd that china is taking so long to roll out quad-core processors

#12 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

@buzz

Not too odd. Processor wise china has always been about 6 months to a year behind the rest of the market. The all winner a10 and rk2918 were out right around the same time the tegra 11 dual core had been out for some time. RK3066 hits well after the time the quad core Tegra 3 and now cortex a15 is upon us and we are finally seeing some quad a9s from china. It about as expected :-)

-Ayn Rand

#13 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Not too odd. Processor wise china has always been about 6 months to a year behind the rest of the market.

RK3066 hits well after the time the quad core Tegra 3 and now cortex a15 is upon us and we are finally seeing some quad a9s from china. It about as expected :-)

Very true! Tegra4 is coming out around March-April 2013. Also, Exynos5 & OMAP5 were just released recently too. All of them are using newer Cortex A15s. =)

In any case, there is good chance that Ainol may have dropped ATM7029 and went with A31 instead. Just a rumor. Just have to sit back and wait. Chinese Tablet makers talk about their new products about 1.5 months before they get released to get hype going and attract buyers to them. ie. builds up demand and lets them charge higher prices from the get go.

Ainol may have decided that ATM7029 was not as good as expected and may have swapped it out for A31 or RK3188. Time will tell us for sure if I am right or wrong on that. =) Later,

Edit: new tablets with A31 or RK3188 should be out in about 1.5-2 months time.

Edited by Nickos-V, 09 December 2012 - 07:26 PM.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#14 insomniacno1

insomniacno1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

This is out-dated info, but just for someone new visiting this thread I can share that CPU identifier : https://play.google....dentifier&hl=da claims that the GPU built-into that ATM7029 is in fact GC1000+MP DUAL CORE.

Also it states the cores as:

1200 Mhz
1308 Mhz
1308 Mhz
1308 Mhz

It also states my Cherry mobile Fusion bolt as ATM7029 and not as repported in this forum/Several threads as ATM7025 - Strange!

JBJ

Attached Files

Edited by insomniacno1, 03 August 2013 - 05:08 AM.

#15 bnmguy

bnmguy

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

This is out-dated info, but just for someone new visiting this thread I can share that CPU identifier : https://play.google....dentifier&hl=da claims that the GPU built-into that ATM7029 is in fact GC1000+MP DUAL CORE - and not Quad core as Ainol and Cherry Mobile claims it to be.

Also it states the cores as:

1200 Mhz
1308 Mhz
1308 Mhz
1308 Mhz

It also states my Cherry mobile Fusion bolt as ATM7029 and not as repported in this forum/Several threads as ATM7025 - Strange!

JBJ

I believe the ATM7025 is the same as the ATM7029. The "5" and the "9" representing the Arm Cortex-A5 or A9. Actions claims to have modified the chip to make it more like A9, though there is no evidence of this. They appear to be the exact same chip, but perhaps the ATM7025 was before the trickery began??

#16 rui no onna

rui no onna

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

ATM7029 came out first. ATM7025 is just a lower clocked version. As far as I recall, there have been no claims that the GPU is quad-core so I don't really see any reason for that particular complaint. The Cortex A5 vs A9 is valid, though.
  • Tzul likes this

#17 insomniacno1

insomniacno1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

ATM7029 came out first. ATM7025 is just a lower clocked version. As far as I recall, there have been no claims that the GPU is quad-core so I don't really see any reason for that particular complaint. The Cortex A5 vs A9 is valid, though.

Thanks for correcting me:) I remembered wrong of what it said on my box.

Wikipedia claims that the ATM7025/29 is cortex A5. Click here:
http://en.wikipedia....ortex-A9_MPCore

Then scroll down to the bottom and click on "show" to the right for "ARM-based chips". A list will come up where ATM7025 and ATM7029 is catagorized under Cortex A5.

Also read here:
http://en.wikipedia....i/ARM_Cortex-A5

The difference between Cortex A5:
http://arm.com/produ...=Specifications

And Cortex A9:

Cortex A comparison table:
http://www.arm.com/p...tex-a/index.php

With kind regards

JBJ

Edited by insomniacno1, 03 August 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#18 SPEC

SPEC

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Actions Semiconductor talks about their ATM7029 1.3GHz Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 with Vivante gc1000+ (slightly enhanced gc1000), with seperate 2d gpu, quick boot, 4K video decoding, Miracast, super long standby and support for android 4.2.2. They demonstrate some of the examples that use this Actions ATM7029 solution in the 7″ 1280×800 ainol that sells for $95/1000pcs, 8″ 1024×768 from Ramos and the 10.1″ 1280×800 from Ramos. Actions has a demo showing the video decoding capability of the ATM7029 by running 6 concurrent videos via mx player. Actions semi is also launching a new dual core ARM Cortex-A9 processor the Actions ATM7023A. Actions Semiconductor employs over 600 people, 500 of which are in their R&D department.

Not sure what the difference between gc1000+ and gc1000

Thanks for correcting me:) I remembered wrong of what it said on my box.

Wikipedia claims that the ATM7025/29 is cortex A5. Click here:
http://en.wikipedia....ortex-A9_MPCore

Then scroll down to the bottom and click on "show" to the right for "ARM-based chips". A list will come up where ATM7025 and ATM7029 is catagorized under Cortex A5.

Also read here:
http://en.wikipedia....i/ARM_Cortex-A5

The difference between Cortex A5:

And Cortex A9:

Cortex A comparison table:
http://www.arm.com/p...tex-a/index.php

With kind regards

JBJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users