• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#121 TonyJZX

TonyJZX

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

its not out yet

the gc1000 isnt a great gpu but tests of current models with the 800p screen make it seem like its not that bad

#122 F&LSuperstore

F&LSuperstore

Advanced Member

• Authorized Business Seller (ABS)
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

its not out yet

the gc1000 isnt a great gpu but tests of current models with the 800p screen make it seem like its not that bad

I'll let you guys know next week. I got some coming.

But I finally figured out what was up with the A31 tablet. Well Christian Did. So I got it playing "some" games. And very well I might ad the ones that it does play. But Eken is asking way to much for this tablet. They are trying to get the same price out of this GT10V that Ainol is getting for their Hero II. Let me compare the two for ya:

Hero II - Quad Core Cortex A9 - Vivante GPU - 1280x800 IPS Screen - 8000mAh battery - 16GB Storage
GT10V - Quad Core Cortex A7 - PowerVR GPU - 1280x800 (Possibly TN) Screen - 5000mAh battery - 8GB Storage

Eken is smoking that fine herb if they think thier tablet should retail at the same price as a hero. I straight up told the guy at Eken he was wasting my time.
Posted Image
Frank, President
F&L Superstore - www.flsuperstore.com
email: frank@flsuperstore.com
blog: flsuperstore.wordpress.com
MSN: flsuperstore@gmail.com

#123 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Well Christian Did. So I got it playing "some" games. And very well I might ad the ones that it does play. But Eken is asking way to much for this tablet. They are trying to get the same price out of this GT10V that Ainol is getting for their Hero II. Let me compare the two for ya:

Hero II - Quad Core Cortex A9 - Vivante GPU - 1280x800 IPS Screen - 8000mAh battery - 16GB Storage
GT10V - Quad Core Cortex A7 - PowerVR GPU - 1280x800 (Possibly TN) Screen - 5000mAh battery - 8GB Storage

OK. What was the fix? Was the problem Gameloft games looping at license check? Or Gameloft Games not showing up in Market?

Yes, Eken is asking for too much. Without IPS display, 8000 mAh battery & 16 GB storage. Processor is fine because I believe you are referring to A31 for them.

ie. minimum battery I would get on 9.7" or 10.1" is 6800 mAh. But the tablet would have to be really great build and quality to go for one with lower capacity. I would buy non-IPS if $35-40 less in price on 9.7/10.1 tablet. 8 GB if $15-20 lower price. Though you really need 16 GB ROMs to download & install Gameloft games. Those are huge! 1.7-2.25 GB!

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#124 munka

munka

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'll let you guys know next week. I got some coming.

But I finally figured out what was up with the A31 tablet. Well Christian Did. So I got it playing "some" games. And very well I might ad the ones that it does play. But Eken is asking way to much for this tablet. They are trying to get the same price out of this GT10V that Ainol is getting for their Hero II. Let me compare the two for ya:

Eken is smoking that fine herb if they think thier tablet should retail at the same price as a hero. I straight up told the guy at Eken he was wasting my time.

But its not an A9 its an A5. The best chinese 10.1 tab to me is the first Hero but its the cheapest. Amlogic and Rockchip still set the benchmark for me in useability, power and speed.

#125 F&LSuperstore

F&LSuperstore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

But its not an A9 its an A5. The best chinese 10.1 tab to me is the first Hero but its the cheapest. Amlogic and Rockchip still set the benchmark for me in useability, power and speed.

What do you mean A5? The Act chip is Cortex A9 as people are advertising them.
Posted Image
Frank, President

#126 Jote

Jote

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/44034-atm7029-an-arm-cortex-a9-or-a5/

Some kind of consensus on the matter is that ATM7029 is A5. It identifies itself as A5 and performs below A9 on tests (except on Antutu). Every time more information comes on ATM7029 it looks worse and worse.

Edited by Jote, 19 January 2013 - 10:07 AM.

• Nickos-V likes this

#127 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/44034-atm7029-an-arm-cortex-a9-or-a5/

Some kind of consensus on the matter is that ATM7029 is A5. It identifies itself as A5 and performs below A9 on tests (except on Antutu). Every time more information comes on ATM7029 it looks worse and worse.

Antutu really fooled me into believing ATM7029 was A9 chip but Vellamo Metal & chip ID tell a different story. Now, it seems most likely to be an A5 chip instead.

ie. a quad 1.2 GHz A9 should score better in Vellamo Metal over quad 1 GHz A7 (A31). But, ATM7029 ends up scoring worse. Showing this chip to very likely be A5 instead.

PS, this also shows that you cannot trust every benchmark out there. Some are great at gauging performance and others are not. Also, why great idea to test with multiple benches instead of just 1.

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#128 munka

munka

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Lol just like every 1.5Ghz processor we've seen advertised.

Seriously to me ATM7029 is a dud, well worth avoiding. There is a reason Ainol are starting on the Allwinner A31.

But to me with all these non-mainstream tablets the most important thing is the available Roms. And to date I've been less than impressed with the stock Roms from the Chinese manufacturers. The custom roms to me are far better, which is why the Amlogic tablets really shine, primarily because they have released their source code unlike most of the others. The Amlogic based Ainol products now all run Cm10.1 which is pretty flawless (thanks to Christan Troy) and all compete well with the Nexus 7 in performance. The Cortex A9 which can be ramped up to 1.5Ghz if you prefer speed over battery along with the high clocked Mali 400 MP2 is a very well balanced chip, its a bit of a jack of all trades, but performs admirably in all situations. Most real world applications don't use more than 2 cores (or 1 even) so the Amlogic A9 chip outperforms the poxy 1Ghz A5 in the ATM7029 and the 1Ghz A7 in the Allwinner. If graphics is something that really matters then the Allwinner is an option, otherwise stick with Amlogic and its fast stable roms.

#129 F&LSuperstore

F&LSuperstore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Lol just like every 1.5Ghz processor we've seen advertised.

Seriously to me ATM7029 is a dud, well worth avoiding. There is a reason Ainol are starting on the Allwinner A31.

But to me with all these non-mainstream tablets the most important thing is the available Roms. And to date I've been less than impressed with the stock Roms from the Chinese manufacturers. The custom roms to me are far better, which is why the Amlogic tablets really shine, primarily because they have released their source code unlike most of the others. The Amlogic based Ainol products now all run Cm10.1 which is pretty flawless (thanks to Christan Troy) and all compete well with the Nexus 7 in performance. The Cortex A9 which can be ramped up to 1.5Ghz if you prefer speed over battery along with the high clocked Mali 400 MP2 is a very well balanced chip, its a bit of a jack of all trades, but performs admirably in all situations. Most real world applications don't use more than 2 cores (or 1 even) so the Amlogic A9 chip outperforms the poxy 1Ghz A5 in the ATM7029 and the 1Ghz A7 in the Allwinner. If graphics is something that really matters then the Allwinner is an option, otherwise stick with Amlogic and its fast stable roms.

I'm going to agree with you and with everything you just said. After extensive testing of the ATM7029 on the Hero II and the Allwinner A31 GT10V, I have to say that they are both not that great. The A31 chip plays games a little better, but both chips Antutu benchmark no more than 12K and the Hero II stutters with any big game I try to play with it. The Hero II stuttering is extremely annoying.

I'm sure people will buy them just because they say quad-core, but this is more of a side-step than an upgrade.
Posted Image
Frank, President

#130 munka

munka

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

I'm going to agree with you and with everything you just said. After extensive testing of the ATM7029 on the Hero II and the Allwinner A31 GT10V, I have to say that they are both not that great. The A31 chip plays games a little better, but both chips Antutu benchmark no more than 12K and the Hero II stutters with any big game I try to play with it. The Hero II stuttering is extremely annoying.

I'm sure people will buy them just because they say quad-core, but this is more of a side-step than an upgrade.

Sad thing is Ainol make good hardware, but its only as good as the SOC inside and ROM installed. This may damage their rep if people buy the ATM7029 product they will be disapointed and frustrated with the ROM. They would have done better to push the Hero for a bit or gone with an Samsung chip or just waited a few months more for Amlogic's next iteration.

With my experience with the Aurora 2 I have I'll buy another Ainol product without question, but it won't be one with either of these SOCs inside.
  • F&LSuperstore likes this

#131 rster53682

rster53682

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi I would like to buy the Ainol Captain

Is cyanogenmod-10 available for this tablet, or any other stable JellyBean Roms

Thanks

hello....
any info on the captian yet??

thanks...

bob.s

#132 munka

munka

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

hello....
any info on the captian yet??

thanks...

bob.s

Yes... lots... read above... then don't buy one!

#133 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

This may damage their rep if people buy the ATM7029 product they will be disapointed and frustrated with the ROM. They would have done better to push the Hero for a bit or gone with an Samsung chip or just waited a few months more for Amlogic's next iteration.

Yes, the two ARM chips I would avoid are i.MX6 because of Vivante GPU and ATM7029 because of even worse Vivante GPU and Cortex A5 CPUs. The ATM7029 is really bad. i.MX6 is still good but not great because of GPU.

They could have gone with A31 or Exynos 4412 instead which are both way better choices. Even i.MX6 would have been better than ATM7029 too. Or waited for RK3188 but would have lost out on sales.

Chinese companies want to be the first ones out with new tech, like quad core, to get lots of excitement and sales. This is very likely why Ainol went ahead with ATM7029. ie. to be the first tablet maker with a quad core ARM chip. But Actions lied about specs, likely fooling Ainol, by making a low end quad core chip which gives bad performance.

Ainol should do the smart thing and move away from ATM7029 as quickly as they can.

PS, Amlogic quad core could be another 4-8 months from now. No tablet maker is going to wait that long for it. I have not heard anything for Amlogic quad core which means they are likely still designing it and could be awhile to get released.

Edited by Nickos-V, 07 February 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#134 F&LSuperstore

F&LSuperstore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yes, the two ARM chips I would avoid are i.MX6 because of Vivante GPU and ATM7029 because of even worse Vivante GPU and Cortex A5 CPUs. The ATM7029 is really bad. i.MX6 is still good but not great because of GPU.

They could have gone with A31 or Exynos 4412 instead which are both way better choices. Even i.MX6 would have been better than ATM7029 too. Or waited for RK3188 but would have lost out on sales.

Chinese companies want to be the first ones out with new tech, like quad core, to get lots of excitement and sales. This is very likely why Ainol went ahead with ATM7029. ie. to be the first tablet maker with a quad core ARM chip. But Actions lied about specs, likely fooling Ainol, by making a low end quad core chip which gives bad performance.

Ainol should do the smart thing and move away from ATM7029 as quickly as they can.

PS, Amlogic quad core could be another 4-8 months from now. No tablet maker is going to wait that long for it. I have not heard anything for Amlogic quad core which means they are likely still designing it and could be awhile to get released.

2nd quarter.
Posted Image
Frank, President

#135 Jote

Jote

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

But Actions lied about specs, likely fooling Ainol, by making a low end quad core chip which gives bad performance.

They had to know what they were involved with. Right from the start. First came the specs and then prototypes.

Edited by Jote, 07 February 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#136 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

2nd quarter.

OK but product deadlines are not always on time. Have to wait and see if they release in 2nd or 3rd quarter.

They had to know what they were involved with. Right from the start. First came the specs and then prototypes.

Maybe or maybe not. I think you are right because any company should first test the product before they release it but who really knows if Ainol did or did not. They could have taken Actions at their word. Or maybe Ainol used Antutu 3.0 or earlier for testing and scored very high. ie. fooled into thinking really great chip. Either Ainol knew ATM7029 was under performing and just wanted to be the 1st to market with quad core or they had no idea of weak performance because they relied only on Antutu for benchmarking.

This is why testing with multiple benchmarks is always best. ie. ATM7029 scores low in Quadrant. A tablet can score much better in one and worse in the other. My RK3066 scores really high in Vellamo's HTML5 but 4412 scores much better than me in Antutu 3.1.

#137 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

2nd quarter.

Any more news? Would you happen to know the name of upcoming quad core Amlogic chip?

#138 dysena

dysena

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

2nd quarter.

Please post the info here sir if somehow Amlogic/Ainol gave a go signal.. :D

or maybe you can share "some" of the info you know now if it's allowed... :D :D

#139 aprendroid

aprendroid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationColombia, South America

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hi everybody,

I am remembering my doubts about quad-core SOCs tablets and the comments appearing at this thread about Vivante GC1000.

It seems real life is showing quad-core (alone) in not the panacea, the Philosopher's Stone or the Holy Grial for tablet purchasers.

Take a look at this review (at Ainol bbs):

http://bbs.ainol.com...22&extra=page=1

I guess this review is unbiased (not like reviews appearing at ainol-novo.com site where tablets have only good things) and it shows a very low performance.

Warning for new purchasers: sometimes 4 is less than 2...

Let´s see what Ainol is preparing for the future. I guess Ainol must use better SOCs in order to maintain (and increase) its market share and fame.

Good luck!!

#140 Empyrean

Empyrean

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

I definitely have noticed that A31's response time is much lower than Exynos/RK quad-cores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users