PiPO S2 DualCore 8" Tablet

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#101 BigBilly

BigBilly

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

They're both rars, the larger one may contain some apps that other doesn't? Hoping to update tablet today, so I'll be able to tell then.

#102 BigBilly

BigBilly

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

I'm struggling to get the S2 into firmware update mode.

The instructions on http://www.slatedroi...e-instructions/ say

Volume + and Power button together then connect usb

but on Pipo site http://www.pipo.cn/E...x&id=248&type=3 say

(with the usb already connected) press the “ volume +“ key for a few seconds, at the same time press “reset”, release” Volume + “ until the tool finds out your tablet.

I've tried both and it either boots normally, then the tablet appears in the upgrade tool as "Pink" selecting switch just disconnects it, or its doesn't boot at all.

Could someone post some clear instructions specific to the Pipo S2 for me ?

Thanks

Edit: It's OK, I found aYouTube update for a S1 device. My problem was Win7 driver related.
If anyone's interested the procedure is this.
1) Run Rockchip update tool and load firmware file.
2) Hold Volume+
3) Connect USB to tablet (still holding Vol+)
4) Install appropriate device driver on the Unknown Device in Device Manager (still holding Vol+)
5) Push a paperclip into the tiny reset hole for about 2/3 secs and release (still holding Vol+)
Once update tool connects to tablet, it turns green
6) release Vol+ button.
7) Click Upgrade button to start the update process.

done

Edited by BigBilly, 27 January 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#103 rb1213

rb1213

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I just installed the last Firmware on my Pipo S2
I injected the last Pipo S2 3G firmware from the pipo site (20130115)

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW : fast 11900 Antutu score !

but my front camera still doesnt work, pitty

Renzo

#104 kgd1

kgd1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, New Jersey

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

I get 11820 with the 20121123 firmware with both cams working :-)

PiPO Smart-S2 DualCore 8" Tablet

#105 publicimage

publicimage

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

hallo,
got a question about the charger of my Pipo S2 tablet

Will explain it shortly - needed proper EU type of adapter, because this one that i received not fits in every socket. So yesterday i received universal EU charger for tablets

Original Pipo charger is this type : AC100-240V-0.35A / 50-60Hz - DC5V-2A
New one is : AC100-240V-0.3A / 50-60Hz - DC5V-2A

Connected it to my Pipo and it says that is charging, but the screens seems like fading for less than a second (lowering brightness a bit)

Pls. someone that is more familiar from me with electricity to tell me is this 0.05A difference (marked red numbers) are so big problem, and can i let it charge with this new one ?

#106 shd-jrs

shd-jrs

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hi.
Do not worry, from both chargers you can get 2A*5V=10W output power. Input current depend of your AC voltage, for 100V chargers take 0.11A AC current and this is much less than manufacture-state 0.3A or 0.35A. 0.3A and 0.25A probably means peak current or internal fuse rating and it's not important for you.
  • publicimage likes this

#107 publicimage

publicimage

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks shd-jrs ,
just was a little bit worried this new charger do not to destroy my battery life

#108 doned

doned

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Any chance of Jellybean 4.2 for this tablet, I have got my PIPO S2 recently with version 4.1.1.

#109 crackedED

crackedED

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

I got a PIPO S2 just before christmas and am very happy with it, however yesterday the screen cracked :-( anyone know where I can get a replacement, I have search the web high and low, any help very welcomed

#110 doned

doned

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Any luck with playing NBA 2k13 anyone? I tried once and it was laggy.

Edited by doned, 20 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#111 carlsnilsson

carlsnilsson

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for reading...

G'day ivanz: thanks for a nice review of the S2, which I enjoyed reading. For the info of developers, I found that you can get into ROM flash upgrade mode by holding the volume + (not the - ) rocker button down when you plug into the mini-USB slave port to connect to a PC. Secondly, whether you like the 4:3 aspect ratio of the screen or prefer 16:9 is simply a user preference depending on the intended use and not really subject to either criticism or praise. You pays your money and takes your choice. I wanted my S2 to run apps originally written for a PC and the 4:3 ratio was a positive selling point for me. There are plenty of other tablets on the market for movies using 16:9.
Carl

#112 AuroraNexus

AuroraNexus

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Roman released a custom firmware for the s2. There is a topic in the development section
Pipo Max-S2 - Official 20121123 rooted firmware

#113 smudgy

smudgy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

The limited ROM space is an annoyance and I'm running into error messages now at it's mostly full. Android seems to be stupid about that limit and displays a warning well before it's actually full. Most custom roms for other Chinese tablets change the ROM partition to 2gb

Could someone explain where ROM space is? Is it a partition on the internal SDCard aka Nand Flash? How do you find out in advance how much ROM space has been allocated?

I am sure there are lots of folk like me in the dark about ROM.....

:=/

#114 publicimage

publicimage

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

yes, it's partition on the internal storage and it's only 1GB.
You can drive to your Settings and check in Storage menu
internal storage:
Total space
Apps - ###MB
Available - ###MB

This is the space left free for installing more android apps.

Also, you can free some space in Apps menu
Open any application and there's a button "Move to SD card" if it's active - you can move the application from ROM to the other partition called SD card :)

Could someone explain where ROM space is?
:=/

#115 smudgy

smudgy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

publicimage - Thanks for reply and confirmation!

Didn't need adb or anything. AppMgrIII enabled me to move nearly all of them to SDCard freeing up to over 30% free. I forget where exactly but I changed the default location for all user apps to SDCard. I think I set that in RomToolbox app which usually has the necessary trick handy ;=)

http://www.bongizmo....-apps2sd-froyo/

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=686588

;=)

Edited by smudgy, 12 March 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#116 smudgy

smudgy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

-
Hi. Some questions for you knowledgeable folk.

Has anyone installed Romans custom firmware for S2? What are the major advantages over stock Rom? Is the app partition on Nand Flash increased to 2GB for example? Does it have a Recovery image facility like CWM?

Anyone else encountered this problem rebooting with original stock firmware? I've found a workaround with RTB Rebooter (Fast Boot option- which is slow but very through soft reset and enables my SDCard apps to mount properly and get seen by Android App Manager etc). I am hoping to discover the command line for this shortcut option which bypasses the Cpu/jellybean logo BootSplash and goes directly to the main Pipo splash (the one that says Interactive Media underneath Pipo) and does a slow but very thorough reboot which restores everything fine as long as I only use this reboot method.

Any wisdom from the group much appreciated ;=)
-

#117 luhai

luhai

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

Hello,

I have recent brought a Pipo S2, it was working fine for the 1st month. I even rooted it with no problem. However starting yesterday, the tablet would not be shutdown. When I press power off, the device would shutdown and then immediately restart afterwards. (it is not plugged into anything) Has anyone encountered this problem before? how could it be resolved? Right now it's draining battery all the time is a major issue. thanks.

#118 John C.

John C.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hello,

I have recent brought a Pipo S2, it was working fine for the 1st month. I even rooted it with no problem. However starting yesterday, the tablet would not be shutdown. When I press power off, the device would shutdown and then immediately restart afterwards. (it is not plugged into anything) Has anyone encountered this problem before? how could it be resolved? Right now it's draining battery all the time is a major issue. thanks.

Can you reset it with the hole next to the hdmi port?

I too have a new S2. It's great! I like the solid feel and all the ports. Everything works great so far.
However, the screen has a right side cast even when viewed straight on which increases when seen from the left. This makes it uncomfortable during reading where I either have to reposition it as I move down the page or orient it 10 degrees to the left from straight on. Extended reading in low light on white backgrounds is a hindered, my typical evening book/pdf reading preference. But still it does everything well from browsing to movie watching that I can't feel bad about it. However I did order a Window N80IPS to experience the IPS and will sell the less useful.

John C.
Pipo S2
Window N80IPS
Window N90IPS II

#119 asik1

asik1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Hi, Any comments on the bluetooth of this device?
Tnx

loved my P85/3066 but he had dead buttons fever, and practicly died after ~15 months
Got PIPO S2, will he live long?

#120 PIPOUSER

PIPOUSER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Bluetooth works fine on my S2 running the stock 3G firmware - works with three different bluetooth devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users