• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 PIPOUSER

PIPOUSER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

If someone who bought it could tell us a bit about it's abilities as a pdf reader, it would be great. I want to buy this for my sister for Xmas since she needs a tablet to read pdfs. Will she be able to read comfortably or is 8" too small for this job?

Thank you!

I just opened the same PDF on a 7" MOMO9, the PIPO S2 and the PIPO M1 9.7" tablet. The MOMO wasn't readable without zooming, the S2 and the M1 were both fine in portrait form. The MI was easiest but is heavier than the S2 and less portable - its exactly the same frame size as the original IPAD. The M1 IPS screen has richer colours but the S2 screen has a whiter background.
Hope this helps.

#42 L.D.Grim

L.D.Grim

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Just got my S2 yesterday after nearly a month wait. I mush say I love it and it was well worth the wait! At some point ill be doing a video review, nee more time with it =p

#43 mindtrapper

mindtrapper

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

8" should be OK for reading pdfs. Can also read pdfs on 7" but I would not want to do that.

PS, Amazon Kindle Fire HD comes in 7" & 8.9" and I am sure people use those tablets for book reading too.

I just opened the same PDF on a 7" MOMO9, the PIPO S2 and the PIPO M1 9.7" tablet. The MOMO wasn't readable without zooming, the S2 and the M1 were both fine in portrait form. The MI was easiest but is heavier than the S2 and less portable - its exactly the same frame size as the original IPAD. The M1 IPS screen has richer colours but the S2 screen has a whiter background.
Hope this helps.

Much appreciated, looks like i will buy the S2.

#44 EssKayBee

EssKayBee

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm after a 8 inch 4:3 tab and this looks nice. What is the brightness like for outdoor use? Wifi signal seems good and the battery seems nice. What are these dual core 3066s like? How would it compare to say a Samsung s2? Could it run a PS1 emu at a good rate? After looking at this, the momo8 and Teclast p85HD I think I'll probably go for the S2.

#45 Simon42

Simon42

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'm after a 8 inch 4:3 tab and this looks nice. What is the brightness like for outdoor use? Wifi signal seems good and the battery seems nice. What are these dual core 3066s like? How would it compare to say a Samsung s2? Could it run a PS1 emu at a good rate? After looking at this, the momo8 and Teclast p85HD I think I'll probably go for the S2.

I'm taking mine to Costa Rica for a week so I should get a good idea of what it can do in the sun... won't be amazing but won't be too bad either I think. I've just tested NFS High Stakes in FPse and it works beautifully - 50 to 60 fps all the time. It even works with OpenGL improvements although more tuning is needed for that. It does all emulated Nintendo consoles flawlessly too.

Wifi is indeed very good, it picks up networks my PCs sometimes don't see. I've solved the most annoying 4:3 related issues by installing other launchers - it now rotates alright. If anyone knows a good launcher/theme for tablets please tell me. I've tried the ones that are often suggested like Apex but they feel like a big phone. I've tried to find a good Metro look-alike but the only half decent one is rather expensive and my demo version just expired. Chameleon is nice but extremely limited for now. I've downloaded a Cube rom and I might try to see if I can extract their UI elements but it's a long shot and everything seems to be in Chinese.

Some games don't stretch the picture well and Acuweather draws some of the content offscreen but that's mostly ok. Like I said, it works better that all Android devices I've tried. I've not played with the most recent quad core/A15 speed monsters but I owned a Tegra 2 tablet and it's much better. I think what chokes Android devices mainly is RAM since 512 is not enough. 1GB is mostly enough and I,ve experienced with Swap memory expanders on my phone - they're not placebo on it but I'm not convinced yet on the tablet.

I've rooted mine using that method. http://www.cnx-softw...rk3066-mini-pc/ The limited ROM space is an annoyance and I'm running into error messages now at it's mostly full. Android seems to be stupid about that limit and displays a warning well before it's actually full. Most custom roms for other Chinese tablets change the ROM partition to 2 gb and I'd love it if someone could do it - but that looks much too complicated for me. I found Clockworkmod for another Pipo tablet and I thought I could make it work but it seems to involve flashing so I'm not sure the files for another model are right for this one. If enouh people buy it and tinker with it I'd love to see the S2 gain a following and improvements that Pipo probably won't bother with.
  • Maverik18 likes this

#46 SCTony

SCTony

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I received my S2 Monday, so I have used it a few days now. I am very happy with this tablet- it is very responsive and smooth. Photos, videos, Google Maps all display clearly and swipe back and forth quickly and smoothly. The wifi has been working great so far- I have yet to test it outside. I tested it with PassMark and got 2138/2103 average= 2120. AnTuTu scored 11832. It did come with a wall charger(2 amp) and earbuds(low quality). The only ding I have so far is that the display glass reflects a lot of background images, but I don't know if that is common to most tablets as this is my first. I am very satisfied with the S2 at this point. There is a new post on AndroidTablets in the Rockchip RK3066 subforum titled "pipo s2 no longer runs off battery" where he (user12) says his 2-week old S2 seems to have quit charging the battery. I am watching that thread to see where it leads.
  • Maverik18 likes this

#47 D.R.

D.R.

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hi, I ordered an S2 from Banggood a couple of weeks ago and while I'm waiting I've been looking for firmware, manuals etc. and found this link https://skydrive.liv...e&sc=Documents# to a skydrive folder which has several docs including the latest S2 firmware.

You need a Hotmail account to access the files.

I cant comment on their contents so dont blame me if your PC / Laptop / Tablet gets bricked, tries to divert all of your bank account contents to Nigeria or becomes self aware and starts a war aginst mankind.

D.R.

#48 SCTony

SCTony

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I finally got my S2 rooted- if interested, see Jackhasanlg's video on youtube called "Pipo Smart S1 RK3066 ROOT" - that is pretty much the method that worked for me. Andropos at TabletRepublic rooted a Teclast A10 this method and has some more info there.

Edited by SCTony, 02 December 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#49 wom

wom

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

could try with this JB Script http://www.mediafire...s4vyhagygvsy195

be sure your Device has Developer Mode Enabled in settings

How to use this script to root? Please help.

#50 m4rtyr

m4rtyr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

anyone is planning to create a custom rom for this tablet? maybe roman?

#51 TotalRand

TotalRand

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Just got my s2 in the mail today only to find stock pipo firmware is in mostly chinese! Also the resolution is apparently 1024x740? Could someone please make a nice clean bugfixed+root custom rom for this device..

#52 wom

wom

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

could try with this JB Script http://www.mediafire...s4vyhagygvsy195

be sure your Device has Developer Mode Enabled in settings

Thanks Wai for the guide. This script indeed can be used for rooting PIPO S2.

Thank mate.

#53 TotalRand

TotalRand

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

This tablet is officially the best bang for buck out of china at $100 including postage for a 16GB version
http://www.alibaba.c...D100005062.html

#54 Mariner

Mariner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

Just got my s2 in the mail today only to find stock pipo firmware is in mostly chinese! Also the resolution is apparently 1024x740? Could someone please make a nice clean bugfixed+root custom rom for this device..

The quoted resolution is the screen size of 1024x768 less the space taken up by software softkeys at the bottom of the screen.

If you haven't already done so, you should be able to change the firmware to use your local language. Enter settings (on the bottom right of the screen) and look for the icon containing an "A". This allows you to change the language and input settings of the tablet.

#55 donn_jonn

donn_jonn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

How is this compared to the ployer momo7 and the yuandao N70.

#56 PIPOUSER

PIPOUSER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

How is this compared to the ployer momo7 and the yuandao N70.

Specs are similar for all three tablets except that the S2 has a 8" screen whilst the other two both have 7" screens. The PIPO S1 and U1 both have 7" screens so are more comparable with the Momo7 and Yuandao N70.

#57 donn_jonn

donn_jonn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Wich one has the best battery life and the least problems like play store incompatibility etc.?

#58 Simon42

Simon42

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Well brightness was not very good for playing Bad Piggies on the beach... the dark maps were more or less invisible. Battery life is not so good, probably less than 5 hours of real use (and i don't play 3D games). My screen is now showing 2 bright spots on that won't go away - as if I'd pressed the back of the tablet too hard. They're not too visible but they annoy me on white text pages and other uniform backgrounds. That's after 5-6 weeks of use...

I played around with a 150$ Samsung 7" tablet I got for my in-laws and it made me want a proper manufacturer model. It's much lighter, the build quality is better and the software feels so sorted. Tonight I'm trying to solve the SD card issue I've been having since I got my S2: I have only been able to write to it for 2 days, the rest of the time it says it's read only and I can't copy or save anything to it from the tablet - but it works from external USB from Windows for example... Another Pipo tablet has the same issue: http://www.slatedroi...-card-problems/ If anyone has a solution, please share!
edit: A format using SDFormatter looks like it now allows me to transfer files from the internal memory to the mSD card. :)

Edited by Simon42, 20 December 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#59 tiagokapa

tiagokapa

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hi there

Just got one of these, it looks ok, i havent had time to try it too much but i'm disapointed with the sceen, it looks a bit blurry like its got some humidity inside the screen, is this blurry normal or is it just my tablet?

Will give some feedback when i have some more time to test it out

#60 limar

limar

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

Hello,
I want to order the s2 as well (@banggood) but I live in Holland. Do they send the right type of charger for my region? If not: how do I go about this?