• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Agactual

Agactual

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

I had a g-tablet awhile ago and traded it in for an ICS tablet. The thing I have realized is that I don't really like the new android operating systems. Yes they are faster and more stable but they are also really flashy and complicated. You have screens rotating and widgets everywhere and pop up menus all over the place, backgrounds that are moving....it just feels overwhelming at times. Lately I have been trying to find a way to simplify my layout with various launches and whatnot. A few days ago I realized, i used to have a tablet with a simple layout, the g-tablet with the stock firmware.

You look at pictures and video demonstrations of tap n tap and it does look rather nice. I always thought that on a superficial level, it was quite good. But now I think back and wonder "was it really that bad, maybe that is the type of layout I have been looking for all this time". Perhaps this strange sense of nostalgia is clouding my judgment. Maybe tap n tap looked nice, but even with the software updates and whatnot, it was still barely functioning garbage, right? Or did i just get caught up in the popular opinion and maybe with a few tweaks (like getting the full market on there) it wasn't that bad?

#2 bearbuck

bearbuck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

I had a g-tablet awhile ago and traded it in for an ICS tablet. The thing I have realized is that I don't really like the new android operating systems. Yes they are faster and more stable but they are also really flashy and complicated. You have screens rotating and widgets everywhere and pop up menus all over the place, backgrounds that are moving....it just feels overwhelming at times. Lately I have been trying to find a way to simplify my layout with various launches and whatnot. A few days ago I realized, i used to have a tablet with a simple layout, the g-tablet with the stock firmware.

You look at pictures and video demonstrations of tap n tap and it does look rather nice. I always thought that on a superficial level, it was quite good. But now I think back and wonder "was it really that bad, maybe that is the type of layout I have been looking for all this time". Perhaps this strange sense of nostalgia is clouding my judgment. Maybe tap n tap looked nice, but even with the software updates and whatnot, it was still barely functioning garbage, right? Or did i just get caught up in the popular opinion and maybe with a few tweaks (like getting the full market on there) it wasn't that bad?

It was and still is bad. I have just sent a weekend load NV flashing and reloading the stock rom with every enhancement pack that I thought would help. I had the market working and I really did like the mail setup (the wood and coffee cup)
It was like windows 95 w/AOL for internet access...SLOW SLOW SLOW I too have tried to make my more updated rom feel more "stock"... in the end I have decide to stay with DRH ICS with GO launcher (most customizable) but I will give any fast stock rom another a try. If "Detonator" evers comes out it may be your answer to the gtab with "stock that rocks"

#3 Agactual

Agactual

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

So it is kind of like my 10 year old iMac (i mostly just use if for decoration since it looks cool). Anytime i am desperate enough to use it, it just does not work that well. It is so slow, programs tend to crash a lot, it can't handle modern software. Trying to use a g tablet, with tap n tap, which is something that i never really did, would be the same kind of experience, yes? It might look nice, like the imac G4, but it would be slow and buggy and nothing would work quite right.

I think i get it now. I think i will just stick with what i got. Thanks.

#4 spam_head

spam_head

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

I think the thing with Android is that it's always as flashy or simple as you choose it to be.

#5 macawmatt

macawmatt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Used TnT for a day when we first got our tablets, then I wanted the Google Market so my first rom was installed and I didn't look back.

I understand what you are saying about a controlled interface though. Take a look at Chameleon Launcher in the market, it might be what you are looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users