#41 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Nova is running very smoothly although not as smooth a JB experience as my M1. The Market is a little laggy I think by comparison.

I know people are searching for good tabs on here. I would also recommend that they consider the N90 II. It has stunning (and yes I mean stunning) WiFi. I can drive by a coffee shop on the road at 40 MPH and it will pick up their Wifi for a second or two. (I should note my Wife was doing the driving :)...)

I probably get 30 to 50 feet more of range than any other tablet. I have my qualms with Yuandao but if you need really good WiFi nothing compares to the N90 II. At my office here I pick up like 5 more Wifi hotspots than what I get on the M1 or M3 which both have fairly decent Wifi.

N101 II WiFi is comparable to the M1 from what I can tell.

Regards,

Roman

Edited by Roman2025, 09 October 2012 - 03:24 PM.

www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#42 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Just tested, Antutu still totally freezes up even though the tab is running much smoother otherwise. As soon as Antutu is installed it all goes downhill. Uninstall Antutu and it all works fine again. So odd...
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#43 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hi Roman,

I just tried Rise of Glory and it runs smoothly here too :huh: Nova is also much smoother than Apex. Still running at 252 Mhz though :huh: :huh:
The sound on Rise of Glory is amazing :good:

I must get around to trying the N90 II sometime soon. I had an N70 briefly and liked that as much as the Cube U30GT-M (quite a lot).

Jez
Recommended devices shown in Green
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Phones (current): Samsung Galaxy S2 JB 4.1
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#44 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

One other note, the N101 II has ONGOING touchscreen issues. Multi-touch still has problems and overall screen sensitivity is low. This is probably the reason we will drop the N101 II all together. Yuandao STILL hasn't fixed this and it has been an issue since ICS. It is present on EVERY N101 II I have sold and the issue is consistent. It isn't a hardware defect unless the "non defective" hardware is just bad. It was better in ICS though than it is in JB which makes me think it is just really poor firmware. Just wanted to give folks a heads up.

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#45 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hi Roman,

I just tried Rise of Glory and it runs smoothly here too :huh: Nova is also much smoother than Apex. Still running at 252 Mhz though :huh: :huh:
The sound on Rise of Glory is amazing :good:

I must get around to trying the N90 II sometime soon. I had an N70 briefly and liked that as much as the Cube U30GT-M (quite a lot).

Jez

Rise of Glory isn't an insanely intensive game, but it IS intense enough that if the processor was really only running at 252 Mhz I think it would run horribly. Maybe PiPo has the governor all screwed up so that it does crank the speed up when an app runs. Something is finnicky though.

-Ayn Rand

#46 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

That's sounds feasible although I do notice some stuttering in screen transitions which look like the result of low clock speed.

Jez
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#47 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

That's sounds feasible although I do notice some stuttering in screen transitions which look like the result of low clock speed.

Jez

Same here. There is absolutely NO LAG on the PiPo M1 or on the N90 II with Jelly Bean.

There is a noticeable bit of lag on the N101 II though which is also 10.1" hi-res. I think that lag is two-fold. There is a bit of stutter AND the touchscreen on the N101 II is much less sensitive. I just got some modded firmware for the N101 II from FMA though that I am going to test. They say they addressed the sensitivity issue. Will see...

Waiting for someone to get the M3 firmware and post it so I can take a crack at modding it.

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#48 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

Hi Roman,

The Pipo download page is up again today but still no M3 fw there :angry:

Actually I am also trying to download U1 fw for a friend who asked if I would upgrade his U1. The Pipo download links take you to a Raysource page which is very frustrating to use. I seem to end up on Chinese Flash games pages and everything else apart from the actual fw :blink:

Does anyone have a mirror for the latest U1 fw by any chance?

Thanks
Jez

#49 bluestang

bluestang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Same here. There is absolutely NO LAG on the PiPo M1 or on the N90 II with Jelly Bean.

There is a noticeable bit of lag on the N101 II though which is also 10.1" hi-res. I think that lag is two-fold. There is a bit of stutter AND the touchscreen on the N101 II is much less sensitive. I just got some modded firmware for the N101 II from FMA though that I am going to test. They say they addressed the sensitivity issue. Will see...

Waiting for someone to get the M3 firmware and post it so I can take a crack at modding it.

Regards,

Roman

Very interested to hear your findings about the modded N101 II FW from FMA. The multitouch really is an issue when playing some games. I'm thinking of selling it to someone who doesn't play games and will only used it for browsing and normal app stuff. And then maybe picking up a M3 if it gets sorted out.

Also, I've been using Apex on JB on my N101 II...after reading your guys views on Nova, I will give that one a try.
Ainol Novo 7 Adv -- from TopNotchTablets
Yuandao N101 II -- from TopNotchTablets

#50 stanton

stanton

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

Glad to see Roman and Jezzer on the case :clapping:

#51 Ikzouhetnietweten

Ikzouhetnietweten

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Well if you must have a Chinese tablet with a 10.1 inch screen and RK3066 SoC then the choice is Pipo Movie M3 (wait and see if firmware resolves the issues that I and others are having), Yuandao (Window) N101-II (and variants) or Cube U30GT-H. I have owned a Cube U30GT (one of the first W models) and it worked fine apart from the SD card corruption issue which seems to affect most RK3066 tablets (maybe a Rockchip issue?). The workaround I found was to either format the card as NTFS or use it in a USB stick adapter. Both Cube and Yuandao have suffered QC issues although maybe Cube more than Yuandao (it's hard to get exact figures). The screen on the Cube U30GT-H that I borrowed to compare with the M3 was definitely brighter than the M3. At the end of the day it's your choice and be aware that it is a bit of a lottery; you may get a bad one with all that entails. This is why in the end after being lucky buying direct from China I decided to buy locally in the UK with a UK warranty and pay slightly more before my luck ran out.

Good luck with your decision,
Jez

Thanks Jez, so I had the CUbe U30GT before from Elijah and it had these huge black pixels flickering sometimes when switching windows, it was so annoying so I sold it. I decided that there is not another similar product with that good reviews (I know Cube has bad and good ones) Maybe the new Ampe 2 Quad Core or the Ramos W30 which is coming up soon but I wasnt too confident yet and I cant wait till end of October, so I bought again the Cube U30GT but only from Eternal, another supplier from Aliexpress, and now in White. Maybe now they got the bugs and all figured out with the latest batches. :)

#52 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Glad to see Roman and Jezzer on the case :clapping:

Hey thanks for the vote of confidence. I have emailed Amy Ye at Pipo support (about 24 hours ago). No reply yet :(
Also another SLD member has kindly offered to upload the current stock M3 image somewhere for me to d/load.
He was sent it by Amy Ye. I am hoping that a reflash might sort out the issues.

Thanks Jez, so I had the CUbe U30GT before from Elijah and it had these huge black pixels flickering sometimes when switching windows, it was so annoying so I sold it. I decided that there is not another similar product with that good reviews (I know Cube has bad and good ones) Maybe the new Ampe 2 Quad Core or the Ramos W30 which is coming up soon but I wasnt too confident yet and I cant wait till end of October, so I bought again the Cube U30GT but only from Eternal, another supplier from Aliexpress, and now in White. Maybe now they got the bugs and all figured out with the latest batches. :)

Yes I recall your issues with the Cube U30GT and the many others from other people. I would say though that the RK3066 based tablets especially the Cubes have been around a few months now and that most of the initial teething problems should have been sorted out. Recently I have seen two Cube minis and the 32Gb U30GT-H all of which worked flawlessly and seemed well built. My worries about the non-IPS screen also seemed unfounded although I guess there might still be some out there :unsure: I fully understand Roman's opinion too from a retailer's point of view and why the Pipos are so attractive to him compared to the Cube. I hope your new U30GT works out ok.

Jez

#53 Droidyouarelooking4

Droidyouarelooking4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have a copy of the Firmware currently on the M3, I uploaded it here. http://www.4shared.c...hoB/update.html
Zenithink ZT282 C91 Upgrade / M3C91-1a model 0327 custom ROM - 1.4Ghz kernel 2GB partition. My thanks to everybody who is modding this Rom. I really appreciate your work!!!

#54 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thanks droudyouarelooking4,

I have just dloaded it from another sld member, but thanks anyway. Just looking after my 1 yr old so hoping to try it later!

Jez

#55 Droidyouarelooking4

Droidyouarelooking4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hopefully Roman2025 has a copy now so we can see how this tablet handles with a few proper tweaks. I am more than willing to help with the beta testing if needed. :lol:
Zenithink ZT282 C91 Upgrade / M3C91-1a model 0327 custom ROM - 1.4Ghz kernel 2GB partition. My thanks to everybody who is modding this Rom. I really appreciate your work!!!

#56 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Yes that would be great!

Jez

#57 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Ok I'll make this quick.

Installed clean M3 fw (looks like the same version that was already on it).

All pre installed apps run ok. Installed android system info which still shows cpu 100% of the time at 252mhz. Installed quadrant.. Locked up when tried to run it. :-(

Noticed the lags again in screen transitions although most apps seems to run ok.

Scratches head. Perhaps newer firmware would sort it?

Hmmmmm
Jez

#58 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Ok I'll make this quick.

All pre installed apps run ok. Installed android system info which still shows cpu 100% of the time at 252mhz. Installed quadrant.. Locked up when tried to run it. :-(

Noticed the lags again in screen transitions although most apps seems to run ok.

Hmmmmm
Jez

Now that we HAVE firmware for the device to restore to I can experiment a bit. Can try to take the kernel from the M1 and drop it in this and see if that sorts the CPU out. Meh... Getting that deep into firmware modding is a bit outside of my comfort zone.

-Ayn Rand

#59 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Ok I'll make this quick.

Hmmmmm
Jez

Use Elixir 2 and check your CPU Speed BEFORE you put any other programs on the device. The M3 I have here showed up to 816 Mhz I think and then after I tried to run Antutu it was always showing 252 mhz or whatever.

Cheers,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#60 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thanks Roman :good:

It's really strange. I have been using the tablet for an hour or so. It seems okish.
Typing on the keyboard is sluggish and annoying. Angry Birds is super smooth??! x-plane 9 too :blink:

The more I use it the smoother the screen transitions get.

Can't figure it out. Hope your kernel transplant works.

Edit: Found a benchmark that worked because it's browser based. Sunspider 0.9.1 gave results total 2142 ms. Not fantastic just ok.

Jez

Edited by Jezzer, 10 October 2012 - 02:59 PM.