• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#1 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

My M2 and M3 have arrived. This was supposed to be a M1 v M2 v M3 review but I don't think the M3 will be up to the job.

I have been focussing my efforts on the M3. There is an issue with it where the CPU seems to be running at 252Mhz 100% of the time so it seems very slow!
It also keeps locking up but this is probably due to the slow CPU. Antutu won't run it just locks up.

I don't have any build quality issues as someone else reported; buttons all seem to work ok and it seems well put together.
The screen is nice but not as bright as a Cube U30GT-H (32Gb) which I have borrowed. I'll post some comparison photos later.
It rooted ok with Zhuodashi 2.2.12 so I tried using Antutu CPU Master to see if I could set the CPU to run at a higher frequency but so far no luck.

Bottom line at the moment; I cannot say for certain that it is not a hardware problem but my view would be that it is probably a firmware issue. If it is then Pipo need to get some new firmware out and fast!! Watch this space....

Jez
P.S. On the subject of an old concern (see the original Cube U30GT thread) I am convinced that the Cube U30GT-H 32Gb model that I borrowed does have an IPS screen. Side by side with the Pipo it is hard to notice any difference in viewing angles and the Cube screen actually goes brighter. Colours seem very similar on both.

EDIT: Here are some photos of the M3:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This shows how the CPU frequency is stuck at 252Mhz:

Posted Image

Here are a couple of shots of the Pipo Movie M3 (top) compared to the Cube U30GT-H (bottom); both set to Maximum brightness:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cannot add any more photos to this post so click here for some viewing angle shots or scroll down a couple of posts.

Jez

Edited by Tablet_Collector, 23 October 2012 - 06:52 AM.
Add photos

Recommended devices shown in Green
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Phones (current): Samsung Galaxy S2 JB 4.1
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#2 leemac

leemac

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hi Jez
I have been waiting on your comments re: M1 v M2 v M3 as I am in the market for a decent tab at the moment. I had the M1 in mind until I heard of the imminent arrival of M2 and M3.

Its a coincidence that you are comparing the Cube U30GT. I purchased the Cube Mini for my daughter a few weeks ago (from InGadget) and have been very impressed with it to the point of adding the larger version to my shortlist.

At this point and taking into consideration your experience with all of the above, which would you recommend? Use would be for browsing, games, video, reading etc..

Many thanks for your input.

Lee

#3 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi Lee,

I like the M3 but I really think that it is in need of some new firmware. If that fixes the issues I am having then it will be a great 10.x inch tablet.
The M3 speakers do sound excellent compared to the Cube U30GT-H but without new firmware I am unable to recommend the M3 at the moment.

The Cube that I borrowed is the black one with 32Gb RAM and I would definitely find that extra on-tablet storage very useful. Aside from the Cube's well documented poor single speaker it has a lot going for it and there are no quality issues that I have found on the one I borrowed.

Now if you are happy with a 9.7 inch tablet (4:3) I have a new favourite...the Pipo Mix M2. The version I have is without 3G and yes it is called the "Mix" not the "Max" (that's what it says on the back). The screen is every bit as good as the M1, maybe slightly brighter. It also has excellent stereo front facing speakers which sound great! Just like the M3's speakers in fact. The strange thing is that the M2 came with ICS 4.0.4 out of the box whereas the M1 and M3 both came with Jelly Bean 4.1.1. To be honest that would not put me off as the M2 seems to fly and I really like the styling with the brushed metal appearance of the rear. I'll post photos later...

Jez

P.S. I cannot put any more photos in the first post so here are some viewing angle shots showing the M3 vs the Cube U30GT-H (32 Gb):

Pipo farthest away from the Camera:

Posted Image

Pipo nearest the camera:
Posted Image

Pipo on the right:
Posted Image

Pipo on the left:
Posted Image

Edited by Jezzer, 11 October 2012 - 05:26 AM.

My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#4 Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have my pipO M3 on order I'm hoping to get it in about 2 weeks. I'm excited to get it as I had been waiting 45 days for an Ainol Fire... before I had to file a PayPal dispute to get my money back. I will post here how I like it. I am hoping it gets the support the Ainol tablets have... lots of Roms available.
Charles Smith

#5 yash3339

yash3339

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi Jez,
have you rooted your M3 yet? If yes, you might want to try No-Frills CPU Control (available for free on the Play Store). You might already be aware of it..

And if it doesn't work, try flashing some other kernel maybe, it sounds like a kernel issue more than anything.

Sent from my LG Optimus One using Tapatalk 2

#6 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks yash, sounds like it does the same as antutu cpu master but I'll try it as the antutu one doesn't work :-(

Jez

Edited by Jezzer, 08 October 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#7 yash3339

yash3339

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Ah :/

It is ridiculous of PiPo to release the firmware (and the tablet actually) if it indeed is a software issue. A big minus.

Sent from my LG Optimus One using Tapatalk 2

#8 fredphoesh

fredphoesh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

The strange thing is that the M2 came with ICS 4.0.4 out of the box whereas the M1 and M3 both came with Jelly Bean 4.1.1. To be honest that would not put me off as the M2 seems to fly and I really like the styling with the brushed metal appearance of the rear. I'll post photos later...

Jez

Hi my m2 came with jelly bean so I'm not sure why you're having such poor performance but mine is behaving okay... not fantastic, okay.
Quadrant about 4200... Responsiveness is acceptable.
Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

#9 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hi Mark,

No the M2 is fine it's the M3 that has problems.

Do you know where I can download jelly bean for the M2?

Thanks
Jez

#10 stanton

stanton

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Bottom line at the moment; I cannot say for certain that it is not a hardware problem but my view would be that it is probably a firmware issue.
If it is then Pipo need to get some new firmware out and fast!! Watch this space....

Oh Man I was really counting on the M3 being as good as the M1 and M2 are reputed to be out of the box. :angry:
I'm getting desperate for a good reliable 10 inch 16:10 tablet with good battery life, good wi-fi, good responsive high resolution screen,
good sound output, no silly external card issues.......you know , just something that works. :rolleyes:
After following the YuanDao N101 saga and then reading the favourable reviews of the Pipo M1 + M2 I thought that Pipo had done the triple with the M3.
I mean wtf are they thinking ?
I did notice on one of the photos of the rear case that the M3 is 'Designed by Toptech in Taiwan Assembled in China'
How about the M1 + M2 ?
Are the M1 , M2 , and M3 logical developments or distant cousins ?

#11 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Oh Man I was really counting on the M3 being as good as the M1 and M2 are reputed to be out of the box. :angry:
I'm getting desperate for a good reliable 10 inch 16:10 tablet with good battery life, good wi-fi, good responsive high resolution screen,
good sound output, no silly external card issues.......you know , just something that works. :rolleyes:
After following the YuanDao N101 saga and then reading the favourable reviews of the Pipo M1 + M2 I thought that Pipo had done the triple with the M3.
I mean wtf are they thinking ?
I did notice on one of the photos of the rear case that the M3 is 'Designed by Toptech in Taiwan Assembled in China'
How about the M1 + M2 ?
Are the M1 , M2 , and M3 logical developments or distant cousins ?

Yes I know what you mean :( Don't completely count the M3 out just yet though. Pipo could put it right with a single Firmware update.
My M3 does say 'Designed by Toptech in Taiwan Assembled in China' on the rear. The M1 and M2 don't mention Toptech.

Jez

#12 admonisher

admonisher

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

The strange thing is that the M2 came with ICS 4.0.4 out of the box whereas the M1 and M3 both came with Jelly Bean 4.1.1.
Jez

I think the M2 Wifi-Only version comes with ICS and the 3G version comes with JellyBean. I ordered the Wifi-only version and got ICS as well.
We should expect new firmware upgrades to be released at this address any day now (the site seems to be unstable lately though):

Pipo Firmware

EDIT: I had a typo here, intented to type M2 not M1

Edited by admonisher, 09 October 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#13 BlueAardvark

BlueAardvark

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I bought an M1 two months ago with JB. Wifi only. I was not aware there was a 3G version of the M1 or I might have got that for the GPS (assuming it functioned).

#14 Malaquai

Malaquai

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Toptech is Hyundai ?

#15 Malaquai

Malaquai

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

Hi Jez, te pipo m3 has 1 or 2 Gb for apps ? Very thanks

#16 leemac

leemac

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Hi Jez
Cheers for your information. It is extemely helpful to get honest opinions from people who have actually used and tested the tablets, especially for newbies like me!!
I have to say though, it has muddied the waters somewhat! My shortlist which was down to 2 (M1 & M3) is now back to 5 (Window N101-II, Cube U30GT, M1/2/3)!!
I think I am in the same boat as Stanton above, I just want a really decent tab which will be up and running out of the box, obviously with great options on Google play.
Thanks again
Lee

#17 ciruelo

ciruelo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

Hey Jez,
This is pretty disappointing... I was almost decided for this tablet and now this happens...
Let's see if it's only a fw issue, because I'm in the same situation as leemac and stanton, just looking for a tablet without real problems and good results in terms of performance.
Actually, I've started looking at the Visture tablets, any reference about those? How are they compared to the Pipo ones?
Best!

#18 JJovian

JJovian

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

I've also ordered Pipo M3 (+ Teclast P85HD - will choose which to leave for myself later).
Jezzer, you are really dissapointing me with your Pipo M3 experience... :(
But I believe it is not hardware problem.

Edited by JJovian, 09 October 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#19 Droidyouarelooking4

Droidyouarelooking4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

I too own a pipo m3 and have the same problem with the CPU clocking at 252MHZ. It must be a firmware problem. I also have an issue with SD cards freezing getting corrupted. I have used 4 different ones made by three manufacturers. All of them were formatted NTFS and FAT32 on different machines just to be sure. One card is corrupted so bad that I can't recover it. This tablet is turning out to be a joke.
Zenithink ZT282 C91 Upgrade / M3C91-1a model 0327 custom ROM - 1.4Ghz kernel 2GB partition. My thanks to everybody who is modding this Rom. I really appreciate your work!!!

#20 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Added a few screenshots to the first post.

Jez