Android Tablets Forum banner

Tablet turns off when unplugged

27K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sthomas 
#1 ·
Hi. A couple of days ago my tablet started to disconnect after I unplugged it. First it would last for a minute or two, now it turns off as soon as I unplug it. When I plug it it shows battery level at 100%. I'm using Icecube 1.4 ROM (for a while now, but I don't think it's firmware related). Anyway I can't flash any other ROM on the tablet as I can't manage to make it show on the flash tool (unplugged it does nothing, with the ac plug it turns on)
I've also tried resetting to factory settings but the problem remains.

Any ideas? Could this be a damaged battery? Is my cube dead??

#2 ·
Ok, I used the Fast Discharge app for a while. In addition I turned my ac adapter to 10v in a hope it would discharge faster than it was charging. After a few reboots (I was still trying to access recovery) it showed the battery with 1% charge. It's now charging and at least it does not turn off as soon as I unplug it. I suppose the battery had somehow an indication that it was fully charged, preventing it from taking more juice, when it was actually discharged. Don't know what caused it, but apparently Fast Discharge solved it, in case anyone experiences the same issue.

#3 ·
I am having the same issue with my Gemei G9. One day I unplugged the charger and it shut off. When I plugged it back in, it rebooted and indicated that the battery level was at 100%(charging). When turned off the battery level bar does't show that it is charging, just a gray battery.

I have tried battery calibration apps. Useless. I have updated the firmware at least 4 times, all versions have the same issue. Can you say what fast discharge app that you used? And how exactly you used it? Most of the ones that I found had no instructions. How did you change your AC adapter to 10V? Your help would be must appreciated.

A tablet is pretty much useless if it can't run off of battery power!

#6 ·
I had the same problem and solved it the same way. Tablet showed 100% charged but would turn off the moment it was disconnected from the charger.

The particular charger I have is a third party one that allows you to switch it to different voltages. I found a lower voltage that was enough to keep the tablet up and running, but wasn't enough to charge it. I then ran Fast Discharge. It "discharged" from 100% down to 42% in just a minute or two--much faster than could be expected if it was really discharging. I assume it was really at 0% already and the tablet just thought it was at 100% or 42%. I then turned up the voltage to normal charging voltage, and let the tablet charge for real a few minutes. I then disconnected it from the charger, rebooted it, and it was at 1%. I plugged it in, and charged it for real and everything works.

I don't know how unusual this situation is--I doubt that everyone with this problem has this as the cause; some of the cases are probably just bad batteries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.