Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,038 posts
  • LocationSamut Prakarn (Thailand)

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Acer Iconia W700 Windows 8 Pro tablet is surprisingly affordable

Posted Image

Three days after HP announced the business-oriented ElitePad 900, Acer's formally announced flagship Windows 8 Pro-based tablet -- the Iconia W700, sporting Intel's Ivy Bridge processors gets pricing details. It is right where Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer suggested for Microsoft Surface. Coincidence or not?

The new Acer Iconia W700 boasts an 11.6-inch 1080p IPS display with an 1920 by 1080 resolution powered by an integrated, Intel HD Graphics 4000 video card paired with a Core i3 or a more powerful Core i5 Ivy Bridge processor, with a yet undisclosed amount of RAM. For storage it uses a 64GB or 128GB SSD that reportedly boots up in as little as 6 seconds, with resume from standby happening in just 1.5 seconds. On the back there is a 5MP auto-focus camera capable of 1080p video recording and on the front what appears to be a less than 2MP camera; that is known to record 720p video. And there's more...

The W700 is touted as a versatile tablet PC, which is substantiated by the relatively low weight, for a device of this size and performance (Intel Ivy Bridge processors), of 2.3lbs (roughly 1.05KG) and the rather decent 8 hour battery life, though it's most likely for the lower spec Intel Core i3 processor. There is a "multipurpose" cradle for using the Iconia W700 in different positions such as landscape or portrait mode and according to the press release it comes "loaded with accessories", like a Bluetooth keyboard. A protective case and microHDMI to VGA adapter, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n and the usual plethora of sensors also come as standard equipment.

You may wonder about the price. Starting October 26, the Acer Iconia W700 will be available at leading retailers across the United States for a MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) ranging between $799.99 and $999.99 depending on the configuration. For US Acer Corporate clients it comes with Windows 8 Pro and a two-year warranty, and costs $1,049.99.

Ballmer stated that the sweet spot in pricing for Microsoft Surface tops out at $800, which is where the Acer Iconia W700 falls in but with larger screen. Additionally, price is considerably lower than many other 11.6-inch Windows 8 tablets. Considering it comes with a full-HD display, an SSD drive and the above mentioned accessories, is the $799.99 starting price competitive or not?

Source: BetaNews

This post has been promoted to an article

Mr. Imperfect
from
LOS (Land of Smile (Thailand))

Posted Image

Please do NOT hijack my signature picture. Thanks.

#2 yannigr

yannigr

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

What the press is going to do now is to convince us that $800 is cheap, affordable, a good price. It is not in my opinion. It is expensive. OK it is better than the others at $1000+, but expensive. I guess they are promoting win8 tablets as ultra-ultra portables + a touch screen. They don't want to do the same mistake that they did with the netbooks at $200. They don't want to lose laptop sales again.
I hope AMDs solutions to drop close to $600 or I am going for an Android.

PS It is funny that in the next months Apple is going to be the cheap solution. Hilarious!

#3 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

The Acer W700 is an x86 machine which will run with Windows 8 Professional, the same version as the desktop. That will have the advantage that normal desktop software could be used. For more infos please look at the Acer Website: http://us.acer.com/a...ress/2012/46138

That said, you should realize that this machine come with much more than Apple's iPad or an Android Tablet has and there the price come from.

Mr. Imperfect
from

Posted Image

#4 yannigr

yannigr

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Look, I am not someone who doesn't have a clue about computers, so I don't need to look at that link. As I said they are pricing these tablets with the laptops and ultrabooks in mind. They don't want to create something that good and cheap (cheap = $500) that will have a huge impact on sales of ultrabooks and laptops in general. They can't also make the RT too cheap (cheap=$300) and keep the X86 too high ($800+) because in this case it will be like promoting the ARM platform over X86 and Intel is not going to like that.

So forget about the possibility to run typical X86 software on these tablets or the Win8 cost. Win7 cost was higher but that didn't kept Acer from selling W500 for $500.

As you can see, I don't have to realize anything. You have to realize that the starting prices should have been $300-$400 for the RT and $500-$600 for the X86. But that would have made them a very strong competitor to laptops and as I said, they learned from the netbooks at $200 that this is not a good idea if you are the company who sells them and not the consumer.

Sorry for my English.

Edited by yannigr, 24 October 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#5 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hm....! I think we all have to realize that we didn't have the information what and how much were the cost of development, what the research has told what will be the selling price needed to cover the costing in sudden period and other factors. It's just a "Wish-thinking" for to tell what should be the prices without to have ALL relevant data! And last but not least: A producer also need to make some profit after sudden time for to be able to develop more and newer products.

Get real my dear friend and try to see such not with the eye's of an customer, also with eye's of an developer and manufacturer. And one important factor will also be: How many item could be sold in which time! That will be essential for pricing of an new product.

The W500 was an loss for Acer and the price were about 650 bucks at beginning and now 700 bucks in Thailand. But the W500 had 64 GB Nand/SSD only while the W700 with x86 will have at least 128 GB! also 2 GB Memory instead of 1 GB. Anyway, it's not available in Thailand yet and I don't know any other place.

The W700 will have the Windows 8 Core Version and not the Pro! The cost for Windows 8 is also for OEM's much less than Windows 7. But Windows 8 is much more optimised for Tablets that Windows 7 ever was! And the use of "normal" application will be a real plus, special for corporate users, which will be a main selling point for that machines.

Mr. Imperfect
from

Posted Image

#6 yannigr

yannigr

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Tablets are not something new, so I don't think the cost for R&D it was that big. I mean Apple and others have done most of the work the last two years. They didn't have to research and develop much. Only copy the idea of what the others where doing, change it in a way and add a few new things hear and there to differentiate themselves.

Now the cost to make Windows a tablet OS is in the software price. I really do not like the idea paying for the same OS twice because it is installed on a tablet and not on a laptop or a desktop. That's what is happening with the X86 tablets. To give it as an simple example if you pay for the hardware 4 and the software 1, the combination hardware+software when we are talking about windows tablets looks more like 4+1=7 or more. For example the Fujitsu win8 tablet with AMD Z60 costs more than $1000. A laptop with dual core Brazos costs less than $500. I know, I know the one is a tablet the other is a laptop. I get it. They also get it so they skyrocket the price and... welcome high margins, hello happy shareholders.

About W500 and specs. Prices go down, specs get better. For example a 64GB SSD a year ago maybe it was more expensive than a 128GB SSD today. Only RAM is almost the same.

Anyway I bet prices will drop more than 15%-20% in the beginning of 2013.

:)

PS
Posted Image
:lol:

Edited by yannigr, 24 October 2012 - 06:46 PM.

• @everbuying likes this

#7 PetePT

PetePT

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Looks good