Android Tablets Forum banner

Tablet missing a Contacts Icon? I have a fix!

12K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  46jimbo 
#1 ·
Most tablets are totally missing a way to directly access your contacts. Annoyed like me? Please read on!

This is a real problem, and I don't know why tablet makers think that just because it is not a phone, that you won't need access to it. I certainly like to use it for quick access for sending email, and making calls over VoIP.

FEAR NOT! I have a solution for you!

I wrote a very simple app that will bring up your contacts editor.
You can download the APK from my web site. It should work on ANY android device (API 1 and up!), and simply tells the OS to give you the contacts editor.
One device that I have (Pandigital SuperNova, although I installed regular Contacts stuff) it force closes. I'll keep working on it to find out why, however it DOES work on my other devices. Once I get it working on the PDSN, I'll post a note about it here.

Download it here:
http://dr.ea.ms/APK/Gimmie_CoNtAcTs.apk

If you have problems with the application, your device might really not have any access to contacts. However I have never heard of any device that has lacked the ability. Please let me know if it fails for you. All I ask in return is a simple thank you.

I will also put the source up on my web site, time permitting and if there is any demand, and edit this post with a link pointing to it.

There's no big secrets in it, etc, and I'm super surprised that nobody has written such an obvious app for tabs.

See less See more
#2 ·
I attempted your fix and go the error message "Unfortunately, Gimme CoNtAcTs has stopped" I have no "people" icon on my MID 729 android tablet. In the settings menu, Contacts data is listed and can be cleared but my contacts did not sync with Google and there is no box to check in the accounts and sync settings for GMail, only Calendar and Email. I have no address book for my emails. It has been this way since I turned it on new. How can I give my device an address book?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.