• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I like my Pipo Max M1 but the battery was not as big as I need it (8000mah).
I'm able to read PDFs/powerpoints for about 10 hours with wifi on/half brightness. (conservative usage)
And I'm able to get about 3 hours playing an extensive game with wifi on/max brightness. (performance usage).

Sadly since the Max M1 is a chinese tablet, there aren't that many accessories for it. I had thought about getting an external portable battery charger but I wanted something like a battery case seen on more expensive models but again this IS a chinese tablet.

So I bought a iP6000 Ipad 1 Case (with a 6000mah battery) and retrofitted it to give me more battery life. This will essentially work for ANY chinese 9.7inch IPS display tablet since the buttons and basic dimensions are the same as the Ipad 1.

Disassembly of the iP6000 case
Posted Image

Removal of the 30 pin Apple dock
Posted Image

Second and third pin from the left are 5.01 v
Posted Image

About to strip and cut off excess plastic from the 2.5mm power jack
Posted Image

Cut a hole where the 2.5mm jack should be
Posted Image

Another view
Posted Image

Insert the Pipo Max M1 in partially then insert the jack into the hole. Push the tablet into the jack to ensure that it is where it should be
Posted Image

Hot glue the jack in place with the tablet still in position until the hot glue is dried
Posted Image

Another view
Posted Image

Everything taped up and ready to go
Posted Image

Edited by Carnivore, 28 September 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#2 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

View of the connector from the outside
Posted Image

Another view
Posted Image

Another view
Posted Image

The power button hole needs a tiny bit of dremeling since the Max M1 button is slightly to the left of the hole
Posted Image

Finally, portable tablet charging.
Posted Image

-The iP6000 has indicators on the back that tell you if it's charging or not as well as current battery life.
-Charging port is micro USB! Very nice! It's nice not to carry around that shithole of a 2.5mm jack!
-There's actually a lot of room on the bottom cavity of the case to do another mod. I think I'm going to make my own speaker system since the Max M1 stock speaks blow. On a side note: the hollow cavity creates an amplified resonating effect on the stock speakers making them a louder. But I think I'm still going to do a speaker mod next.
-This mod does NOT touch your Max M1 so if you have a warranty, you're still good.
-There is a button in the back that you need to press once to tell it to charge or not. If pressed, it will permanently charge or not charge the device.
Posted Image

Edited by Carnivore, 28 September 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#3 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

OLD: read PDFs/powerpoints for about 10 hours with wifi on/half brightness. (conservative usage)
OLD: 3 hours playing an extensive game with wifi on/max brightness. (performance usage).

NEW: read PDFs/powerpoints for about 17.5 hours with wifi on/half brightness. (conservative usage)
NEW: 5.25 hours playing an extensive game with wifi on/max brightness. (performance usage).

This mod brings this chinese tablet into the battery range of the more expensive tablets.

Edited by Carnivore, 28 September 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#4 MAX Reitzel

MAX Reitzel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

It's fantastic work but PIPO's case (metallic) is much more beautiful than the iPad case above. That's much of the reason I bought PIPO actaully.

But great work from you :clapping:

By the way Carnivore, do you know where Bluetooth is physically set on PIPO? My BT won't work so I was thinking of opening it and see if there's possibly a solder problem...

Edited by MAX Reitzel, 28 September 2012 - 08:28 PM.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Winston Churchill

#5 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

The case is a soft plastic. I know a lot of the forum users here want a case for the Max M1 since they don't want to scratch it.

#6 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

Nice work Carnivore and thanks for sharing.

Jez
Recommended devices shown in Green
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Phones (current): Samsung Galaxy S2 JB 4.1
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#7 yash3339

yash3339

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

Nice, the aoson m11 and your pipo are identical apart from the working voltage; aoson runs on 7.4V unfortunately.
Neat work though.

Sent from my LG Optimus One using Tapatalk 2

#8 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:31 AM

I'm thinking of adding a usb port or retractable micro usb port to the case so I can charge my bluetooth headphones or phone.

Practical setting: I'm studying for grad school in the library with my tablet when my phone is almost dying. I can just plug my phone into my tablet. More practical to have a retractable micro usb so I don't have to carry additional cords.

EDIT: After searching around there are no retractable micro usb ports that I can integrate into this thing. Looks like the only thing I can do is put a fullsize female usb and carry my own usb-to-micro cord

Edited by Carnivore, 30 September 2012 - 03:34 AM.

#9 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Just installed a full female usb to the bottom left of the case. Definitely worth it later on but right now, it's a cosmetic mess. The case wouldn't close so I had to use super glue to seal it (meaning no more future mods). There's super glue residue on the outside, after wetting and scrapping it, there's still residue. I think I have to sand it down and spray 1 layer of flat black on it to get rid of it.

#10 gavin007

gavin007

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Just installed a full female usb to the bottom left of the case. Definitely worth it later on but right now, it's a cosmetic mess. The case wouldn't close so I had to use super glue to seal it (meaning no more future mods). There's super glue residue on the outside, after wetting and scrapping it, there's still residue. I think I have to sand it down and spray 1 layer of flat black on it to get rid of it.

Sorry to hear that Carnivore.
Just ordered the ip6000 to do the mod :-) thanks for the info.
Do you have close pics of the wiring mate. If not guess we won't get them as you have glued the case up.

BTW where did you wire up the female USB to, or did you use mini USB in one of the pipo USB,s

Gavin

#11 stanton

stanton

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

I think I have to sand it down and spray 1 layer of flat black on it to get rid of it.

NOOOOOO ! You can buy Super Glue Debonder which breaks down and softens super glue.
Here in the UK its made by BondLoc and costs about £2 ($3)
It works really well

#12 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

NOOOOOO ! You can buy Super Glue Debonder which breaks down and softens super glue.
Here in the UK its made by BondLoc and costs about £2 ($3)
It works really well

Interesting, I'll have to go to Lowes and see what they got.

#13 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Sorry to hear that Carnivore.
Just ordered the ip6000 to do the mod :-) thanks for the info.
Do you have close pics of the wiring mate. If not guess we won't get them as you have glued the case up.

BTW where did you wire up the female USB to, or did you use mini USB in one of the pipo USB,s

Gavin

Close up pictures of the wiring is on the first post.
I wired the female usb in parallel to the positive and negative of the 2.5mm power jack.

#14 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Used a regular full female usb
Posted Image

stripped the plastic around it
Posted Image

cut a square hole in the case
Posted Image

test fit
Posted Image

hot glued the female usb to case and extended the wires
Posted Image

#15 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Wired in parallel to the 2.5mm power jack
Posted Image

All the wires together
Posted Image

Had to super glue the corner where the female usb was since it was bulging. It is SUPER tight in there
Posted Image

Pictures of the super glue residue
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

NOW, I can charge any device on the go with my tablet battery case :)

Edited by Carnivore, 30 September 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#16 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Testing a portable battery charger on the case and it works! The heap of electrical taped mess on the left has mini usb, micro usb and ipod adapters coming out of it with a full male usb (for charging) as well as a bigger battery. I tucked this away in my backpack (so noone can see the mess) and have the adapters coming into a cargo hold. The male usb came out of the side pocket for charging. It's cosmetically unpleasing but very utilitarian and the fact that it's tucked away means noone knows but me!
Posted Image

#17 gavin007

gavin007

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hi Carnivore

I was after the close ups of the power connections first lol.
But thanks for ALL the info you have here,
Mate, I will offer to buy you an extra ip6000 if you can get it right (pm me )
Looking forward to the stereo speakers. He he

Well I will let you know how I get on with the power mod first when the ip6000 arrives :-)

I did look at getting a 8000mah power box and was wondering what was the difference ?

Well I came to this , probaly wrong. Lol. One of the boxes is fine apart from having to have the cables with you all the time, but also that they say the boxes
Can only be charged 500. Max times, so its the mod for me.. :-)

Yea I know that the boxes do 2 x charge at the same time, but can't that reduce the charge times from 500 to 300 200 who knows, or if someone here uses one, any comments , feedback

OK guys.

Still getting used to a touch screen and keeping the PC turned off :-)
Thanks to Carnivore and Roman for all the hard work from them....

Gavin

#18 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Don't get those boxes, you have to carry more things with you. I wanted something that was all in one. And what did you want with that extra one?

#19 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

After 24 hours, the battery on the case went down 1/3 while the battery on the tablet is fully charged.

Pic of it charging my bluetooth headphones. It even charges my Samsung S2 while charging the tablet.
Posted Image

Edited by Carnivore, 02 October 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#20 eddyah

eddyah

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

Like a boss!

Well done good sir!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users