2 replies to this topic

#1 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

This is just one derivative of the Surbox which I bought from a company called Hanson Tech.

Attached File  IMG_1278.JPG   99.11KB   11 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1277.JPG   103.32KB   10 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1276.JPG   98.19KB   10 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1275.JPG   99.53KB   11 downloads

It has an ARM Cortex-A9 AML8726-M 1ghz processor, neon, Mali-400 MP. Two full size USB host, Full size SD slot, VGA out, full size HDMI out, internal 802.11b/g/n and Ethernet, SP/DIF and AV out.

So far, solid for Vevo, Vimeo, Youtube. Streaming radio. Playback of movies from file.

As this is now an obsolete model (they no longer make one with the VGA port) it is stuck at Android 2.3 and the Netflix apps I've tried are not so good, also it does not have full market, so obtaining stuff from other sources is required. I'm also concerned about no on/off button, seems like the way to shut these things down is simple switch the power off, I suspect that's going to be an issue at some point if I do it when the system is writing something.

I'm using the iPazzport remote as the other remote I bought from Hanson (Feltouch Classic) is a bit of a puzzle and not as good as my internal hype thought it would be. It seems like real chiclet keys and separate touchpad is better than capacitive touch keyboard and switchable touchpad, perhaps I'm just not using it right.

So, pleased with this item, a few concerns and by far it won't be the final TV box for me. That's why I bought the unit with VGA as I want to experiment with connecting a PC monitor to this, real keyboard and mouse. For seventy bucks that does not seem bad, however, I just bought a core duo Dell, 2GB+80GB desktop from a Calgary surplus place for fifty bucks, so I might be kidding myself on that one, seems that a LOT of computing power can be bought for no money nowadays.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#2 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Ok, so a post mortem is in order. Months gone by and the Surbox has firmly gone back to the online auction world.

Surbox did a bit of what I wanted, but nowhere near the end result that I obtained with a progression of PCs. As this is Slatedroid I won't go on about the evolution of my two or three HTPCs, suffice to say, at this moment, they are working.

ATSC over the air with an antenna is a revelation, free channels from a group of local and not so local transmitters.

The Surbox interface was a bit of a low resolution cludge, locked at Android 2.3 and I lost my bottle about trying to flash it, I did try XBMC but was disappointed that the box did not have the horsepower, but what was I expecting anyway?

Oh, and the iPazzport "remote" keyboard and touchpad, while at first touch a great gizmo, is quite irritating after a while, the Feltouch device was also extremely frustrating. However, my evolution ended up with a Logitech K400r RF keyboard which is an absolute pleasure to use.

That's the post mortem, short and simple, not up for the job and still being sold on the auction site, thumbs down I'm afraid.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#3 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Update on the cord cutting :

I've avoided Android based devices for the HTPC solution for a while now, mainly because I was waiting for the XBMC gang to evolve their product, I toyed with the thought of buying a Pivos Xios, but I consider it underpowered for the task, and I wasn't about to waste a tablet by having it permanently attached to the TV set, plus I like my little boxes (Roku, Apple TV) so was biding my time.

I've ordered an OUYA from Amazon, ninety-nine bucks, and I will see if the world of XBMC is any better on the little cube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users