2 replies to this topic

#1 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

That's the question basically, how do we shut down these Android TV boxes that have no physical buttons, I'm sure yanking the power cord out is not a healthy long term approach, maybe it's just me that I have actually forgotten to shut down a tablet or android device from the interface.

Anyone know the answer?
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#2 kozmo2k4

kozmo2k4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationthe Sunshine State

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Just install one of the Reboot/Shutdown apps from Playstore, there is a few of them...

Sent from NOOK Color CM7.2 using Tapatalk 2

Epic 4G Touch: Stock rooted GB27
TF300T: CM11 /XBMC 13-ß2
NOOK Color: CM11 on µSD
Samsung Moment: SDX-Froyo-2.2.2 or CM7.2 (tester only)
G-Box Midnight: j1nx Linux with XBMC 12
MK808: Finless 1.7c (Omegamoon 720p Kernel) XBMC 13-ß2

#3 Grazzer

Grazzer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

Just install one of the Reboot/Shutdown apps from Playstore, there is a few of them...

Sent from NOOK Color CM7.2 using Tapatalk 2

Hmm, once shut down, how do you turn it back on without an ignition button? Or do you just use the app to safely shut down, then unplug when not in use and plug back in to reboot when needed?

Thinking of getting one of these little boxes to play .MTS and .M2TS files from my HD camcorder on the TV.
Giving the TV internet connectivity would also be good for BBC iPlayer etc and attaching a HDD for film storage would be good.

Certainly look versatile little things. Probably go for the type that are a little box with a couple of WiFi antennas on, rather than a HDMI stick type. More USB interfaces etc, still no button though on the ones I have seen.

Update
Found some with a button and some dual core versions, now that is getting interesting.
However care needed as I have read (and experienced in a Cube U9GT2) that Rockchip and Android 4 have problems with Flash and iPlayer does not work properly. Gingerbread was OK though on U9GT2, a driver thing I believe.
Wonder if there is a Tegra 3 box? I have an Acer A510 which is great with Flash and iPlayer.

I'll keep looking.

Update 2
After a lot of reading, plumped for a uHost2 by Smallart and a Measy RC11 controller. The uHost2 has a power button and can be turned off/standby via remote. Good spec, good write up on :-
http://tabletrepubli...nally-3127.html
Just need to make sure it has the latest s'ware and WiFi set up optimally for consistent performance. Seems like a lot of these things have some problem with WiFi performance varying.

Bit of a stock shortage of the uHost2 at the moment. Quoting dispatch on 30th November from several suppliers, keeping my fingers crossed.

Finless Bob, over on FreakTab is doing some storming work producing cleaned up ROMs for 3066 based TV sticks. Makes interesting reading.

Edited by Grazzer, 29 November 2012 - 06:49 AM.