108 replies to this topic

#1 Soulflier

Soulflier

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

By installing this package you will have Root privileges on your Ainol Crystal tablet.

• Download the Crystal_Root.zip and copy it to a microSD card (do NOT extract it)
  • Charge up the battery in your Crystal, Power Off and remove the charger cable.
  • Insert the microSD card into your Crystal
  • Press and hold the Volume- and the Power button at the same time until the green droid appears
  • In the recovery you can move with the Volume- button, you can select with Power or Volume+
  • Select the apply update from EXT option
  • Select the Crystal_Root.zip, this will install the package
  • Wait for the update to finish
  • Select reboot system now

• GeMir, masaeed000, fireflame7 and 1 other like this

#2 Geodex

Geodex

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Now that was fast.

Considering this tablet is not even started shipping yet users will be sorted before they get them.

Good idea they sent one to a dev first. Pretty fast thinking on Ainol's side

Nice work Soulfier :good:
  • masaeed000 likes this

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ainol Aurora II/ Pipo Max M1/ Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

#3 Pneuhaus

Pneuhaus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Considering this tablet is not even started shipping yet users will be sorted before they get them.

Good idea they sent one to a dev first. Pretty fast thinking on Ainol's side

Nice work Soulfier :good:

Yes, nice work Soulfier. How is compatibility with market, fix required also? :D

Geodex, I suspected this might have been the case, since mine has been in the 'approved' stage for a week, despite being assured by DinoDirect that they have them in stock.

#4 jagsman411971

jagsman411971

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

As a tablet PC noob,and looking to get a couple of these for the kids Xmas, would it be too much to hope for that someone might think of changing the default UI to tablet instead of phone. After seeing a video on youtube, the use of the phone UI as the default setting, looks plain daft. If the thing had 3G capabilities, then I could see the point. But it hasn't, so why do it?

#5 Soulflier

Soulflier

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Ainol did not send the Crystal to me for testing or development before release, a third party asked Ainol to send me a Crystal for a different purpose originally. Now of course we all benefit from this.

A market fix patch is coming soon. These patches are hard to test because I don't have a clean firmware to start with but they should work.

The Crystal supports external 3G (USB 3G stick). Also it is not phone ui, it is Phablet UI. The Google Nexus 7 has this same UI. I don't say I like it but I don't hate it as much as at the beginning.

#6 masaeed000

masaeed000

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

i am totally new to android or tablets for that matter so i need to ask u a couple of things....

after following this procedure would the stock ROM be deleted??
if yes than what do i do next.....(which ROM to use and where to get it)??
i read in ur other blog of your that there are compatibly issues with apps from the play store... would this steps fix that.??

really appreciate your help
thanks
waiting for ur reply

#7 Soulflier

Soulflier

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

This patch only installs superuser (root permissions), it does not delete your rom and does not modify any other stuff. It just copies 2 files on your tablet in the correct folders.

The market fix is coming. It will be a separate update.

#8 Soulflier

Soulflier

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

Ainol released an official firmware for the Crystal. Now I can confirm that this Root package does work on official firmware.

#9 fards

fards

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

playing with the stock rom on my Elf_ii at the moment, just building the correct wifi module for the bcm

soulfier did you use anything different to sign the update.zip or does the usual elf-ii one work ?

adb sideload <FILENAME>
is a wonderful feature...

Edited by fards, 02 October 2012 - 09:11 AM.

GIthub for source codes.

My github collection

If you feel like donating, then Thank You! but don't stress either way.

#10 Soulflier

Soulflier

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Just the same signing as always. Nothing new. The JellyBean requires a different update-script method, you can't give out certian permissions but other that that it is all the same.

Note: this signer works with all Amlogic chipset and devices I encountered. M1, M3, M6, MX or whatever they are called so single and dual-core devices too.

#11 weareone

weareone

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi Soulflier,
How is the Audio speaker volume on this tablet . I have cube U30GT , it is very good tablet but speaker is not at all good. Very low volume. Also camera is only 2MP. I would appreciate if you can provide your input about speaker and Camera.

#12 ssinarc

ssinarc

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

By installing this package you will have Root privileges on your Ainol Crystal tablet.

• Download the Crystal_Root.zip and copy it to a microSD card (do NOT extract it)
  • Charge up the battery in your Crystal, Power Off and remove the charger cable.
  • Insert the microSD card into your Crystal
  • Press and hold the Volume- and the Power button at the same time until the green droid appears
  • In the recovery you can move with the Volume- button, you can select with Power or Volume+
  • Select the apply update from EXT option
  • Select the Crystal_Root.zip, this will install the package
  • Wait for the update to finish
  • Select reboot system now

Nice instruction set. Please guide me if rooting can make the tablet see external micrSD as internal one as suggested at AceTabletForum "The only way you really can increase your internal memory size is by rooting your device and then applying a mod that allows you to swap the 'internal SD' with an 'external SD' and by doing that your internal memory space will be equivalent to the size of the microSD card you are using.". I wonder what will become of the applications installed on the internal memory then, will it still be useable for running applications.Crystal has just 8 GB internal and perhaps users will run out of it.

#13 pepoluan

pepoluan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

Nice instruction set. Please guide me if rooting can make the tablet see external micrSD as internal one as suggested at AceTabletForum "The only way you really can increase your internal memory size is by rooting your device and then applying a mod that allows you to swap the 'internal SD' with an 'external SD' and by doing that your internal memory space will be equivalent to the size of the microSD card you are using.". I wonder what will become of the applications installed on the internal memory then, will it still be useable for running applications.Crystal has just 8 GB internal and perhaps users will run out of it.

IIRC, swapping external/internal SD is a feature of the ROM; rooting does not magically enable it.

That said, IMO 8GB should last users for quite some time... be diligent with housekeeping using Titanium Backup, and the internal SD shouldn't fill up in the near future.
I am Nobody.
Nobody is Perfect.

My Tablet: Ainol Novo 7 Crystal with Crystal Clear ROM (SD Swapped)
My Phone: Samsung Galaxy W (GT-I8150) with CyanogenMod 9 ROM (SD Swapped)

#14 Soulflier

Soulflier

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

My SoulGem ROM switches internalsd and externalSD so install that. I will post a revert patch for those who don't like using a microSD or don't have one.

#15 gerstavros

gerstavros

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

is there any way for rooting the latest firmware?

#16 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Is there something like a clockwork recovery built into this tablet? My only experience with rooting is with and HP Touchpad and there are very thorough and detailed how-to guides for that. Is it possible to get a step by step how to guide in this forum on how to root, install a custom ROM and any tweaks to make after installing the custom ROM that are "essential" or at least "a good idea?"

EDIT: I found out the answer to my questions. There is a stock recovery built into the tablet and it's accessed by holding down the "Power" and "Vol -" buttons when the tablet is off. You don't need to root your tablet with these files if you are installing any of the custom ROM's here. They will all root the tablet for you.

Edited by fuser-invent, 30 October 2012 - 12:41 AM.

If I've helped you set-up your new tablet, unbrick your device or if you use and enjoy my Amlogic AML8726-M Series ROM's
please consider a donation.
My ROMS - *Crystal Clear (Ainol Crystal) *Anti-Hero (Ainol Hero) *Elenari (Ainol Elf2) *Astronautica (Ainol Aurora2) *Karbonn Custom (Karbonn SmartTab ST8 & ST10)
My DEVICES - *HP Touchpad *Ainol Crystal *Ainol Hero *Ainol Fire *Cube U30GT Mini-S *Nexus 7 (2013)
I don't respond to most PM's just because of the amount I get. If you have a question the best way to get an answer is to post in one of my threads.

My Ainol Crystal "Get Started" Guide. ----- My "How To Unbrick Your Amlogic AML8726-MX Series Tablet" Guide. ----- Go check out my music - It's all free!!!

#17 sanders25

sanders25

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

This patch only installs superuser (root permissions), it does not delete your rom and does not modify any other stuff. It just copies 2 files on your tablet in the correct folders.

The market fix is coming. It will be a separate update.

hi sir can u please help me im a newbie for this kind of thing, i have a ainol crystal tablet and i would like to use ur firmware but i dont know and im afraid because maybe i miss understand the procedure and broke my tablet. its better to ask from someone that much more knowledgeable like u sir. please help.

#18 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

hi sir can u please help me im a newbie for this kind of thing, i have a ainol crystal tablet and i would like to use ur firmware but i dont know and im afraid because maybe i miss understand the procedure and broke my tablet. its better to ask from someone that much more knowledgeable like u sir. please help.

You don't need to use this method of rooting your tablet if you want to install Soulflier's SoulGem ROM. Installing the ROM is very easy, does not take very long and you will not break your tablet. Just follow the instructions in the SoulGem thread and if you have any questions on the instructions, post them in that thread.
If I've helped you set-up your new tablet, unbrick your device or if you use and enjoy my Amlogic AML8726-M Series ROM's
please consider a donation.
My ROMS - *Crystal Clear (Ainol Crystal) *Anti-Hero (Ainol Hero) *Elenari (Ainol Elf2) *Astronautica (Ainol Aurora2) *Karbonn Custom (Karbonn SmartTab ST8 & ST10)
My DEVICES - *HP Touchpad *Ainol Crystal *Ainol Hero *Ainol Fire *Cube U30GT Mini-S *Nexus 7 (2013)
I don't respond to most PM's just because of the amount I get. If you have a question the best way to get an answer is to post in one of my threads.

My Ainol Crystal "Get Started" Guide. ----- My "How To Unbrick Your Amlogic AML8726-MX Series Tablet" Guide. ----- Go check out my music - It's all free!!!

#19 sanders25

sanders25

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

My SoulGem ROM switches internalsd and externalSD so install that. I will post a revert patch for those who don't like using a microSD or don't have one.

sir hello, im been waiting for ur reply.

#20 kaeru618157

kaeru618157

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Soulflier - I rooted my Crystal so I could remove the Chinese apps and was sucessful at doing it.