Official new AML FW 0921

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#121 samaraki

samaraki

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

What was the point in using the USB to flash this, when it can simply be done with the sd? It turns out my first sd card was corrupt, thats why i was having problems, but i changed the sd, installed: update_qimei2.zip and then patch_ainol_e4.zip and all seems to be working fine from sd, usb not needed at all.
Only problem is the USB flash method, destroyed my usb detection, when holding power on, vol down and usb plugged in, it will now goto recovery instead of usb flash mode...
  • clickcraftsman likes this

#122 mikerj

mikerj

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

Try this. While Tablet is on and cable connected. Press Home + Power + Vol-. If it shuts down but not detected, try the same button combination again.

It took a screenshot, then shutdown and then booted up into the SD system recovery utility :D I also tried Power+Home+Volume Up which just boots straight into Android.

If it wasn't such a simple operation I'd be pretty sure I was screwing it up, but without exaggeration I have tried about 40 times in total with various timings and button combos.

#123 mikerj

mikerj

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

What was the point in using the USB to flash this, when it can simply be done with the sd?

Is it possible the SD update process is responsible for the dying touch screens, so Ainol are using the USB update as a workaround?

#124 justaway2

justaway2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

You guys seriously need to read the threads more carefully before spewing so much false information.
  • Pat Moss likes this

#125 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

OK. Here is the entry. http://www.lokumrom....Using_AML_Flash

And guys, if you aren't 100% certain of what you are doing -- and why you are doing it -- please don't.

Edit: @fards, you da man for the 64bit drivers! Thanks.

Edited by Pat Moss, 26 September 2012 - 12:47 PM.

• clickcraftsman likes this
Pat Moss

Double Stuff ROM - NOVO Flambe ROM - NOVO Crystal ROM
Donate and support firmware development

IRC://chat.freenode.net/#ainovo

#126 fards

fards

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

And guys, if you aren't 100% certain of what you are doing -- and why you are doing it -- please don't.

they weren't rocket science Posted Image

lib_usb and GPL ftw :D

http://www.libusb.or...ki/libusb-win32
  • Pat Moss likes this
GIthub for source codes.

My github collection

If you feel like donating, then Thank You! but don't stress either way.

#127 skilgannon

skilgannon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

There is so much conflicting information here it's hard to know what to believe. I'm due to have the tablet in my hands tomorrow, I'll see what firmware it comes with but not sure whether to flash it or not.

From what I gathered on the threads here:

• 815 is the original fw (and one my tablet will more than likely have)
  • 827 is an unofficial fw from feiyu (also found on Flambe v3)
  • 907qm is an official fw with plenty of fixes but can only be flashed to devices ending in QM serial number
  • 907tm is an official fw with plenty of fixes but can only be flashed to devices ending in TM serial number
  • 916 is an unofficial fw from feiyu, which Ainol seemed to be backing?
  • 921 is the latest official fw, however it's still in the beta stage.

Question is, what to flash to (if anything) when receiving the tablet? Does 921 support both QM/TM devices? And will the later firmwares prevent the dead touchscreen issue?

#128 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

There is so much conflicting information here it's hard to know what to believe. I'm due to have the tablet in my hands tomorrow, I'll see what firmware it comes with but not sure whether to flash it or not.

From what I gathered on the threads here:

• 815 is the original fw (and one my tablet will more than likely have)
  • 827 is an unofficial fw from feiyu (also found on Flambe v3)
  • 907qm is an official fw with plenty of fixes but can only be flashed to devices ending in QM serial number
  • 907tm is an official fw with plenty of fixes but can only be flashed to devices ending in TM serial number
  • 916 is an unofficial fw from feiyu, which Ainol seemed to be backing?
  • 921 is the latest official fw, however it's still in the beta stage.

Question is, what to flash to (if anything) when receiving the tablet? Does 921 support both QM/TM devices? And will the later firmwares prevent the dead touchscreen issue?

0921 is not in Beta -- Ainol beta's are all closed. Not sure where that info came from. The Chinese website has it listed at the current official public release -- it is marked as 'test' because you need to use the factory tool to flash it, but should be identical to the one due to be released on Thursday or Friday.

Bug fixes:

*Touch screen failure caused by earlier ROMs
*Updated power management IC driver to address battery indicator stuck at 100%
*Fixed cell meter synchronization bug during charge / discharge.
*Updated Blue Tooth driver wifi standby policy-related driver update
*Updated WiFi sleep / wakeup policy related driver
*Resolved compatibility issue of HDMI audio
*Resolved screen brightness and auto brightness issues
*ROM standby wake speed REDUCED wakeup time.

Edited by Pat Moss, 26 September 2012 - 01:40 PM.

Pat Moss

#129 Dima_2005

Dima_2005

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Pat,

YOur zip worked perfectly.
Another RAR (original from bbs.ainol.com) and rezip just crashed my tablet and it won't boot anymore.
Flashed your zip and it worked perfectly.

#130 skilgannon

skilgannon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

0921 is not in Beta -- Ainol beta's are all closed. Not sure where that info came from. The Chinese website has it listed at the current official public release -- it is marked as 'test' because you need to use the factory tool to flash it, but should be identical to the one due to be released on Thursday or Friday.

Bug fixes:

*Touch screen failure caused by earlier ROMs
*Updated power management IC driver to address battery indicator stuck at 100%
*Fixed cell meter synchronization bug during charge / discharge.
*Updated Blue Tooth driver wifi standby policy-related driver update
*Updated WiFi sleep / wakeup policy related driver
*Resolved compatibility issue of HDMI audio
*Resolved screen brightness and auto brightness issues
*ROM standby wake speed REDUCED wakeup time.

Spot on Pat, you know your stuff. I'm taking your word as gospel!! :D

I'll flash to 0921 when I get the tablet, also looking forward to your next version of Flambe. Keep up the great work! :good:

#131 BliteKnight

BliteKnight

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the wiki link, I do have some questions surrounding Preparing the PC: Step 5
So I hold the Power + Home button - I see the Green Android (continue holding) - but nothing refreshes in my Device Manager - and eventually it turns off again; so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

When I initially connected the flame to my PC (Win7 64bit) with it on, it installed an Acer ADB driver - so I can connect via adb to my tablet - but I doubt that would be causing this issue?

I have a Flame with the 0910qm firmware on it and would like to update to 0921.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

#132 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the wiki link, I do have some questions surrounding Preparing the PC: Step 5
So I hold the Power + Home button - I see the Green Android (continue holding) - but nothing refreshes in my Device Manager - and eventually it turns off again; so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

When I initially connected the flame to my PC (Win7 64bit) with it on, it installed an Acer ADB driver - so I can connect via adb to my tablet - but I doubt that would be causing this issue?

Ok, the cheating way to get the driver is to interrupt going into recovery.

Start the AML Flash tool
Import the Upgrade File
Click Start
With the tablet off, connect the usb cable
Press power and volume down (like going into recovery)
The tablet should start going into recovery but stop at fastboot/bootloader because of the active AML flash application.
Now, the device should show up.

With that qm release, you will get stuck at the CRC check. Might as well make that TF card ready before you start. :)

Edited by Pat Moss, 26 September 2012 - 02:03 PM.

Pat Moss

#133 Dima_2005

Dima_2005

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hi Pat,

I had that too (Flambe V1 though), I had to press Power + home + vol-, and continue pressing, then the screen turns black and it should show up in device manager.

#134 Mr. Splodge

Mr. Splodge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

Ok, got 0921 on my tab and working as it should. Next step, what do I need to grab from the flambe zip to create a root patch?

#135 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Ok, got 0921 on my tab and working as it should. Next step, what do I need to grab from the flambe zip to create a root patch?

I just used adb to root it. I will push out a google apps and root patch later today. I was testing this firmware before I messed with it.

You can

use adb shell, su to root, copy the su from /system/xbin to /system/bin, chmod 777 /system/app, exit and use adb to push superuser.apk to /system/app and then reboot

That is the total kludgey way, but it will get the job done for now.

I need to edit the boot.img and do some other funky stuff to get true dev root.

Edited by Pat Moss, 26 September 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Pat Moss

#136 Mr. Splodge

Mr. Splodge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Awesome, thanks.

#137 casperr

casperr

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

I tried to follow the instructions and still could not get it. Arg regret buying an android device :I

What was the point in using the USB to flash this, when it can simply be done with the sd? It turns out my first sd card was corrupt, thats why i was having problems, but i changed the sd, installed: update_qimei2.zip and then patch_ainol_e4.zip and all seems to be working fine from sd, usb not needed at all.
Only problem is the USB flash method, destroyed my usb detection, when holding power on, vol down and usb plugged in, it will now goto recovery instead of usb flash mode...

Can you give step by step instructions? You put those two files in the SD card and where did you go?

Is there any screenshot of the device manager where the device should show up? Nothing shows up and I have tried both methods. SHould I be expecting a yellow exclation point? Is it under Universal Serial Bus Controllers>?

Confusing

Download AML_Flash.zip (Many thanks to fards for the 64 bit drivers!)
Unzip the archive (I have mine in d:\android\tools\AML_Flash\)
In control panel, open Device Manager
With your tablet turned off, connect it to the PC via USB cable.
Press and hold the power and home buttons

Pressing and holding power and home buttons put the phone on dark screen, android would come up and then disappear again

Edited by Geodex, 26 September 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#138 Mr. Splodge

Mr. Splodge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

Just to journal my own experience with flashing this ROM, in case it helps anyone else.

Step one was to unpack the flash tool and unpack the ROM from rar and zipped it as per the instructions.

I firstly couldn't get into USB fastboot flash mode with Home & Power. In the end I removed the microSD and did Vol- & Power

The driver installed fine in 32 bit winXP

Ran the flash tool. There are actually two in the package: ImageBurnTool.exe and ImageBurnTool-sp3.exe

The first one is "V1.2.8.0817.SP3.job and life" and the second one is "V1.2.8.0817.SP3.Don't be Mr Me Too"

I ran the second one, not sure what difference it made, probabaly identical and the name is just a joke from someone at AMLogic.

Anyway, it stuck at 66% CRC check so I stopped it, unplugged, inserted the microSD (with zip files extracted from the orifinal rar on it) and rebooted the tab into normal recovery. I then flashed the two zips and rebooted via the recovery menu. It stayed in fastboot mode which was a bit of ring clencher for a moment because I thought I'd bricked it. I plugged it back into the USB and did the flah tool again. This time it completed and shut the tab down automatically. I pressed stop and unplugged USB then booted the tab.

This time it booted normally and I'm now running a stock type firmware with no root, chinese apps and a broken market. I've also lost the contents of my internal SD so no titanium backup to restore from. Be aware of this and backup to your computer before you flash!

Edited by Mr. Splodge, 26 September 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#139 casperr

casperr

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

MR Splodge, same thing happened to me.

So mine seems to be working now, but I dont know if it is right.

Went to recovery, flashed update_qimei.zip
There is another file called patch_ainol_e4.zip, which I did not flash. Anyone knows what this file is for?

On the about section is shows my build is the 0921.

Edited by casperr, 26 September 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#140 BliteKnight

BliteKnight

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Ok, the cheating way to get the driver is to interrupt going into recovery.

Start the AML Flash tool
Import the Upgrade File
Click Start
With the tablet off, connect the usb cable
Press power and volume down (like going into recovery)
The tablet should start going into recovery but stop at fastboot/bootloader because of the active AML flash application.
Now, the device should show up.

With that qm release, you will get stuck at the CRC check. Might as well make that TF card ready before you start. :)

Thanks Pat, that worked.

Just to journal my own experience with flashing this ROM, in case it helps anyone else.

Step one was to unpack the flash tool and unpack the ROM from rar and zipped it as per the instructions.

I firstly couldn't get into USB fastboot flash mode with Home & Power. In the end I removed the microSD and did Vol- & Power

The driver installed fine in 32 bit winXP

Ran the flash tool. There are actually two in the package: ImageBurnTool.exe and ImageBurnTool-sp3.exe

The first one is "V1.2.8.0817.SP3.job and life" and the second one is "V1.2.8.0817.SP3.Don't be Mr Me Too"

I ran the second one, not sure what difference it made, probabaly identical and the name is just a joke from someone at AMLogic.

Anyway, it stuck at 66% CRC check so I stopped it, unplugged, inserted the microSD (with zip files extracted from the orifinal rar on it) and rebooted the tab into normal recovery. I then flashed the two zips and rebooted via the recovery menu. It stayed in fastboot mode which was a bit of ring clencher for a moment because I thought I'd bricked it. I plugged it back into the USB and did the flah tool again. This time it completed and shut the tab down automatically. I pressed stop and unplugged USB then booted the tab.

This time it booted normally and I'm now running a stock type firmware with no root, chinese apps and a broken market. I've also lost the contents of my internal SD so no titanium backup to restore from. Be aware of this and backup to your computer before you flash!

Mr Splodge, were you not able to use adb to root after the flash - like Pat pointed out? And when you say "Broken" market, what do you mean?

Thanks