• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

I think we keep going back and forth as to whether or not we upgrade the ROM or leave it at stock in order to avoid the dead screen issue.

Please answer the questions below only if you have a dead screen issue:

1. did you upgrade your stock ROM: Yes or No ?

2. did you recharge your device through the mains or using your computers' usb ports ?

3. when recharging, was your tablet fully off or in sleep mode ?

#2 Mr. Splodge

Mr. Splodge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

I think you'll struggle to build up a picture, seeing as we have had one single report of a completely dead touch screen, one that fixes after a reboot and one with a dead display but working touch screen. Possibly 3 separate and unrelated issues and not really enough to base any assumptions about how to use the tablet on. All we do know is you must not flash clockworkmod recovery.

#3 typer100

typer100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Go mine yesterday. Updated right away to 0916+update2. Only charged so far with the USB using my Samsung phone charger. Tablet is always off while charging.
I'll keep this routine until something like a OEM firmware comes out. But so far and coming from an Aurora 2. Feiyu FW is always top notch.
Bug I still have:

-poping sound once in a while
-mosquito sound (buzz) while display is not at full brightness.

Edited by typer100, 23 September 2012 - 03:01 PM.

Samsung Galaxy S

#4 dmonuk

dmonuk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

I have a Fire where the screen was fine earlier... It's now dead.... Tablet seems to be doing stuff but I cannot see a picture.

1. I have not touched the ROM, bought 3 x Fires from Futeko and the device is running 0827 Feiyu.

2. Device has only had 1 charge right to full from mains adapter.

3. Tablet was off when charging, but has been working 100% fine since.

#5 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

I have a Fire where the screen was fine earlier... It's now dead.... Tablet seems to be doing stuff but I cannot see a picture.

1. I have not touched the ROM, bought 3 x Fires from Futeko and the device is running 0827 Feiyu.

2. Device has only had 1 charge right to full from mains adapter.

3. Tablet was off when charging, but has been working 100% fine since.

What do you mean for #3 ? Is the screen dead now or "been working 100% fine since" ?

#6 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Has anyone with a 'dead screen' tried to use the AML Flash tool and build a recovery TF with the contents of the AMLF 0921?
Pat Moss

Double Stuff ROM - NOVO Flambe ROM - NOVO Crystal ROM
Donate and support firmware development

IRC://chat.freenode.net/#ainovo

#7 faz

faz

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Has anyone with a 'dead screen' tried to use the AML Flash tool and build a recovery TF with the contents of the AMLF 0921?

It seems that 0921 causes "dead screen" on certain fire/flame that apparently comes with a different screen hardware. From what i gather there has been a hardware revision for those fire/flame. After all, this one time, rumours were flying that ainol was having a screen shortage causing production to stop temporarily.

I had a touchscreen that died while on stock firmware. 0921 did not bring it to life though. I suppose 0921 only prevents touchscreen problems from occuring. It cant repair an already spoilt touchscreen.

#8 Tito1337

Tito1337

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi everybody.

I just received my Ainol Novo 7 Flame and was very happy with it during 30 minutes or so.

After that I simply turned it off, and when I tried to turn it on again the screen was dead like this :
Attached File  Ainol.jpg   167.67KB   190 downloads

1. I did not upgrade the firmware (never even inserted a SD card)

2. Screen failed before first charge. I then tried sector and USB charge with no change

3. I tried various modes since that (first off then on).

This is very disappointing from by brand-new tablet, I think I will return it to Ainol :(

#9 Ian_Superfly

Ian_Superfly

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

It seems that 0921 causes "dead screen" on certain fire/flame that apparently comes with a different screen hardware. From what i gather there has been a hardware revision for those fire/flame. After all, this one time, rumours were flying that ainol was having a screen shortage causing production to stop temporarily.

I had a touchscreen that died while on stock firmware. 0921 did not bring it to life though. I suppose 0921 only prevents touchscreen problems from occuring. It cant repair an already spoilt touchscreen.

"Dead screen" as in "black screen" or as in "dead touch screen?

I did follow the "Pat Moss Wiki update" but the update got stuck at 66% so I did the rest of the update manually through the TF card (I.e. the "normal/old" way).

After reboot my screen died (as in going totally black). I could hear that the tablet was starting/shutting down etc but the screen was totally black. After that I tried to reconnect over USB (to a PC) and that worked (after some trials). So I tried to connect over USB with the flash tool and after some attempts it was a success. I could then re-flash and got stuck at 75% this time... Another flash from the card and the tablet booted "normally".

I have now version 20120921.qm. It is still doing the mosquito sound and clicks BUT it does "work".

Longing for Pat to enable Google Play etc...
(I.e. IF you have a "dead sceen" as in "black screen", try the AML-thing).

Cheers (and good luck)!

#10 faz

faz

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

"Dead screen" as in "black screen" or as in "dead touch screen?

I did follow the "Pat Moss Wiki update" but the update got stuck at 66% so I did the rest of the update manually through the TF card (I.e. the "normal/old" way).

After reboot my screen died (as in going totally black). I could hear that the tablet was starting/shutting down etc but the screen was totally black. After that I tried to reconnect over USB (to a PC) and that worked (after some trials). So I tried to connect over USB with the flash tool and after some attempts it was a success. I could then re-flash and got stuck at 75% this time... Another flash from the card and the tablet booted "normally".

I have now version 20120921.qm. It is still doing the mosquito sound and clicks BUT it does "work".

Longing for Pat to enable Google Play etc...
(I.e. IF you have a "dead sceen" as in "black screen", try the AML-thing).

Cheers (and good luck)!

By "Dead screens" i meant screens that have no display but appears to be working. In a very dark place, you might still see image on the screen. This is caused by the fact that there are 2 version of the firmware available catering to two different screens. 0921 is only currently available for QM version fire/flame. if you believe that ur fire/flame is the TM version, search for 0907TM firmware. there is another thread here that explains the difference between the two.

By "Dead Touchscreens", i meant fire/flames that boots normally, has a display but doesnt respond to your fingers. This, i believe, is a hardware problem.

#11 Tito1337

Tito1337

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hi Pat,

I successfully flashed AMLF 0921 with the AML tool on my Fire with dead screen. This didn't change anything.

Do you have another firmware I can try with the AML tool? Because without the screen I can't use the TF-method.

I would love to try the 0907TM firmware because I think I have that TM-screen-thing. Many thanks

PS: I'm also Tit0 on #ainovo @ Freenode

#12 Annonovo

Annonovo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

I bought my first Fire 2 days ago and after about 1 hour of changing, the screen was dead, almost black, only some light near the panel. The tablet was still working (I could hear the sound of screen being touched), I just could not see anything. Luckily I brought it to the shop I bought it and they changed a completely new one for me. Now it is working ok.

Edited by Annonovo, 27 September 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#13 dude.vik

dude.vik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

hey guys do you think there is a firmware out there which is touchscreen problem free?

#14 simontong

simontong

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

I tried updating my fire to 0921.
After the flash program, I got a dead screen on the reboot.
Now my fire is totally gone...[sad]
I cannot even power up the unit.
I cannot even perform the unbricker...

Sent mail to Ainol-Novo.com on how to return for repairs. [sad]

#15 Fusch

Fusch

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

sounds like you are only still stuck in the download/flash modus.

When you connect to USB and have the AML Flash programm open does it show up as connected?

Try to hit Home + Power for a couple seconds and if that dont works Home + Power + Volume -

#16 ring3okhu

ring3okhu

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think we keep going back and forth as to whether or not we upgrade the ROM or leave it at stock in order to avoid the dead screen issue.

Please answer the questions below only if you have a dead screen issue:

1. did you upgrade your stock ROM: Yes or No ?

2. did you recharge your device through the mains or using your computers' usb ports ?

3. when recharging, was your tablet fully off or in sleep mode ?

For me the touchscreen "died" after i started the tablet in recovery mode, mostly a mistake, and without installing/updating/flashing anything i rebooted. Next thing my screen was decalibrated as shown in this video
I tried different procedures from this site but couldn't fix it

#17 aadiey

aadiey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

i did that too, two or three times started in recovery mode and rebooted without flashing, that because i didn't know that time the volume up button is for 'select'.
fortunately, my screen still fine.

For me the touchscreen "died" after i started the tablet in recovery mode, mostly a mistake, and without installing/updating/flashing anything i rebooted. Next thing my screen was decalibrated as shown in this video
I tried different procedures from this site but couldn't fix it

#18 PoppyNyet

PoppyNyet

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Can I please ask for any expert advice? I received my Fire today from BuyinCoins, have not changed ROMs or anything, from the moment I started it up the screen would flicker and then go blank, occasionally sputtering back onto the screen and then disappearing again.

I plugged it in to charge and left it for a while, now it goes through the boot screens with no problems, but as soon as it loads the home page it starts doing it again. The system seems to be operating fine but the screen is unusable. I have uploaded a video of it here:

Q

Do you think this is a hardware issue or a firmware problem? It is certainly a lot of hassle RMAing it but if I have no choice....has anyone seen anything like it before?

#19 Mr. Splodge

Mr. Splodge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Try adjusting the brightness. The boot animation is fine so I would suspect not hardware unless it's related to how high the brightness is set.

#20 greyrider

greyrider

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNot far from Cardiff, South Wales next to England

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Got my Fire yesterday and flashed it sucesfully to the latest Flambe this morning. Sadly, my system didn't "see" the tablet when I later connected via USB and instead of pulling the plug then and there I went hunting drivers to put it right. Nothing worked and when I finally disconnected the tablet the touch screen no longer functioned. A USB mouse let me (stupidly) try a reflash and later, in desperation, a flash to an earlier, stock ROM. Final result is a completely black screen and useless tablet. Colour me gutted. I'm hoping the place I bought it from will accept it for replacement/refund and am waiting on their response....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users