• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 anton_pm

anton_pm

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi All,

How long does everyone get when their G9Ts are in standby? I've seen some adverts saying it's supposed to last for 20 days, but so far I get about 50% battery loss over 12 hours. I've rooted and run battery calibration and stopped all syncing to achieve this level of drain - it was losing 100% overnight when I first got it!

Cheers,

Anton

#2 stoned99

stoned99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

You probably have an app draining your battery. Even though you said you stopped all syncing, there's sure another app or process you didn't think of. You should do a factory reset and not restore any app and see for how long it last. I bet you'll get far more than a day with it.

#3 anton_pm

anton_pm

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

You probably have an app draining your battery. Even though you said you stopped all syncing, there's sure another app or process you didn't think of. You should do a factory reset and not restore any app and see for how long it last. I bet you'll get far more than a day with it.

Thanks, I'll see about giving that a go. I have installed Automatic Airline Mode so it disables wifi automatically on standby. Have seen an improvement so far.

How long does yours take to charge? How much standby do you get?

#4 stoned99

stoned99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Thanks, I'll see about giving that a go. I have installed Automatic Airline Mode so it disables wifi automatically on standby. Have seen an improvement so far.

How long does yours take to charge? How much standby do you get?

I don't have it that tablet. I rooted my friend's tablet and played with it for a few days. That's why I know a few things about it. He will be giving me his parent's G9T next week to root it and customize it so it runs as fast as his since I did my magic on it...hehe.

I for myself have an HT Touchpad running Android (ICS) and battery last for a few days on standby.

#5 n7a2stu

n7a2stu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDerby, UK

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

My new g9t does similar, first night I put it away fully charged and when I turned it on the following day, about 7 hours later I had 1% remaining! I've done a factory reset and its still does odd things, last night I put it on charge and the tablet was off when I woke up.my firmware 4.0.4 sat 1st sept. A version I can't see on gemei's website?

Although my says its a g9tm, does anyone know if this is different?

Edited by n7a2stu, 23 September 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#6 anton_pm

anton_pm

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

My new g9t does similar, first night I put it away fully charged and when I turned it on the following day, about 7 hours later I had 1% remaining! I've done a factory reset and its still does odd things, last night I put it on charge and the tablet was off when I woke up.my firmware 4.0.4 sat 1st sept. A version I can't see on gemei's website?

Although my says its a g9tm, does anyone know if this is different?

What I've come to realise is this is a phone OS, so when it goes into "standby", you're just turning the screen off. I have put something called "Automatic Airline Mode" on mine and it helps a lot because it turns off the wi-fi when the screen goes off. I also set apps not to sync etc. I still only get about 36 hours "standby" at the most though.

A new firmware is needed that properly puts it into standby and uses minimal battery.

I bought mine from Merimobiles and they've finally admitted this is normal. Their advice is to just turn it off when you're not using it which isn't really the point of a tablet!

Not sure if I'm going to keep mine now.

#7 n7a2stu

n7a2stu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDerby, UK

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

What I've come to realise is this is a phone OS, so when it goes into "standby", you're just turning the screen off. I have put something called "Automatic Airline Mode" on mine and it helps a lot because it turns off the wi-fi when the screen goes off. I also set apps not to sync etc. I still only get about 36 hours "standby" at the most though.

A new firmware is needed that properly puts it into standby and uses minimal battery.

I bought mine from Merimobiles and they've finally admitted this is normal. Their advice is to just turn it off when you're not using it which isn't really the point of a tablet!

Not sure if I'm going to keep mine now.

ive since rooted (easy peasy) and changed the original g9tm build.prop to allow full market access (gt i9100) and noticed the #wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 60, ive changed this to 180 and improved battery life immensely, ive also done a few other build.prop tweaks and my g9tm actually does go to sleep now (it still ocassionally wakes according to the battery stats in settings) but it loses probably 1% over 5 hrs, and have gotten 8hrs use from it fully charged, i think the 4.0.4 firmware is still a bit of a rough dog im hoping they improve and release a new version soon.

wifi is still weak though. Maybe the Aluminium back impedes reception.

#8 anton_pm

anton_pm

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

ive since rooted (easy peasy) and changed the original g9tm build.prop to allow full market access (gt i9100) and noticed the #wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 60, ive changed this to 180 and improved battery life immensely, ive also done a few other build.prop tweaks and my g9tm actually does go to sleep now (it still ocassionally wakes according to the battery stats in settings) but it loses probably 1% over 5 hrs, and have gotten 8hrs use from it fully charged, i think the 4.0.4 firmware is still a bit of a rough dog im hoping they improve and release a new version soon.

wifi is still weak though. Maybe the Aluminium back impedes reception.

My wifi is pretty good, but I hear some people are having problems.

Sounds promising on the standby front. Do you think you could list all the tweaks you did, I think a few people might benefit from this.

Cheers.

#9 stoned99

stoned99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

FYI, I know have my friend's G9T for a few days. It's been idle (standby) for 14 hours and my battery indicator is at 97%. For your information the tablet is at 4.0.4 and I've got a few apps installed but only one with a sync account (Gmail... and play Store). You could use cpu spy if you want to see if it goes to deep sleep or just go in the battery information in settings to see what's causing that drain you're having.

#10 anton_pm

anton_pm

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:01 AM

FYI, I know have my friend's G9T for a few days. It's been idle (standby) for 14 hours and my battery indicator is at 97%. For your information the tablet is at 4.0.4 and I've got a few apps installed but only one with a sync account (Gmail... and play Store). You could use cpu spy if you want to see if it goes to deep sleep or just go in the battery information in settings to see what's causing that drain you're having.

That's interesting. That's with no build.prop mods? Battery shows 'idle status' as using only 14% of battery. All syncing I can set is off and I use Auto Airline mode to turn off wifi when it sleeps. I'll have a look at cpu spy

#11 stoned99

stoned99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

yes, I have some build.prop modification. Basically it's the build.prop posted somewhere in the G9T thread and made some modification like changing OS version to 4.0.4 instead of 4.0.3 and also changing the value of ...type=eng to type=user, so no red square anymore when clicking on an option in the settings for example. Just checked and it's now at 95% remaining after 1 day and 2 hours. It's been idle for 1 day and almost 2 hours. Something is now right on yours...

#12 n7a2stu

n7a2stu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDerby, UK

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I think the biggest issue is that the tablet is always searching for mobile data, even though there is no mobile data radio,
it didn't stop the os from running looking for it

Im pretty sure it was the only thing killing my battery, no rogue apps running etc and mobile data in power options was always 100%

It resulted in me editing the build.prop file I've changed hw.nophone=true and hw.hasdata=false.

After a reboot I no longer have the mobile data showing, everything works fine and I lost only a few % over 12 hrs, the tablet had actually gone into deep sleep, nothing brought it out of sleep until I woke it up

Im running a g9tm, currently on official 4.0.4 v2.52

If anyone wants a copy of my build.prop just ask. I haven't modded it as a galaxy s2 though.