16 replies to this topic

#1 gu3vara

gu3vara

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hi,

I just bought a sanei n10 and I like it except that the wifi reception is horrible, I have to stay within 5 meters of my router to have a decent speed while browsing the internet. I can't take up to a minute to load a page otherwise...! Is it normal for this device or is it defective? I upgraded to 4.0.4, same thing.

I'm thinking of buy a repeater or another router and return it if it doesn't help...

Thx for the help!

#2 suffix

suffix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

The stock browser is very laggy. Try opera?

#3 gu3vara

gu3vara

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

The stock browser is very laggy. Try opera?

No didn't try, will do!

Does it support flash?

Edited by gu3vara, 19 September 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#4 scan

scan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

I just bought a sanei n10 and I like it except that the wifi reception is horrible, I have to stay within 5 meters of my router to have a decent speed while browsing the internet. I can't take up to a minute to load a page otherwise...! Is it normal for this device or is it defective? I upgraded to 4.0.4, same thing.

I'm thinking of buy a repeater or another router and return it if it doesn't help...

LOL, I just got mine few days ago and was thinking about posting this EXACT same topic...

It is horrible I have to stand 3-5ft from my wifi router to get 2 bars, so i ripped open the back cover to find the antenna, which I did and I am no expert but i think the cord they use or soldering is unprofessional and rubbish. I was thinking about getting a wifi relay/ bridge/ repeater as well....

The easiest way to know that the cord/soldering is dodgy is by taking an ordinary paper clip and touching the "ANT" circuit node on the PCB, I instantly get 2 bars nearly 15-20ft away and no signal/connection issues otherwise !?, yes on a paperclip...

Thanks !

Edited by scan, 20 September 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#5 gu3vara

gu3vara

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

LOL, I just got mine few days ago and was thinking about posting this EXACT same topic...

It is horrible I have to stand 3-5ft from my wifi router to get 2 bars, so i ripped open the back cover to find the antenna, which I did and I am no expert but i think the cord they use or soldering is unprofessional and rubbish. I was thinking about getting a wifi relay/ bridge/ repeater as well....

The easiest way to know that the cord/soldering is dodgy is by taking an ordinary paper clip and touching the "ANT" circuit node on the PCB, I instantly get 2 bars nearly 15-20ft away and no signal/connection issues otherwise !?, yes on a paperclip...

Thanks !

I installed a repeater and can now get ok (not great) speed at the other end of the house. Still disappointed with this, I will open it and look at it.
Thx for the info!

#6 suffix

suffix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm glad my apartment is small so I don't ever walk that far from my router. :p

I've read about some free/cheap DIY signal boosters, done by rigging something ugly to your router... maybe those would work too if you don't want to buy new hardware. :D

My speedtest.net app results are pretty much the same I get on my PC;
Down: 1141.6 kB/s (8.92 Mbps)
Up: 127.5 kB/s (1 Mbps)

But I have AOKP rom and I've tweaked a lot of the settings. Not even sure if you can get as good results with the stock rom.

#7 gu3vara

gu3vara

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Anyone know if it's possible to plug a usb wifi dongle that would be of better quality than the internal one?

Thx :)

#8 scan

scan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

I'm glad my apartment is small so I don't ever walk that far from my router. :p

I've read about some free/cheap DIY signal boosters, done by rigging something ugly to your router... maybe those would work too if you don't want to buy new hardware. :D

My speedtest.net app results are pretty much the same I get on my PC;
Down: 1141.6 kB/s (8.92 Mbps)
Up: 127.5 kB/s (1 Mbps)

But I have AOKP rom and I've tweaked a lot of the settings. Not even sure if you can get as good results with the stock rom.

I get 3/5 bars with my wireless N Cable router in all my other devices at the same distance, this tablet gets nothing ! No Internet on it at all...! lol

My Speedtest.net app results are not as fast as my PC, 2cm from the Router I got:
Down: 21 Mbps
Up: 2.6 Mbps

My PC results are:
Down: 117.89Mbps
Up: 2.5Mbps

I've got 100Mbps cable.

Anyone know if it's possible to plug a usb wifi dongle that would be of better quality than the internal one?

Thx :)

Nope unfortunately that's not possible at the moment, I tried it, reason being it would need drivers to recognize the USB wifi dongle.
Create a custom rom with such drivers and yes it will work.

#9 gu3vara

gu3vara

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

Nope unfortunately that's not possible at the moment, I tried it, reason being it would need drivers to recognize the USB wifi dongle.
Create a custom rom with such drivers and yes it will work.

Thx for the info

#10 coxtor

coxtor

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Could someone post tell me how to open up the device??

#11 Exerkun

Exerkun

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hello there guys,

I have also the issue with a bad WIFI connection.
I have an Ampe A10 which as far as I know is the same as the Sanei N10.
I have opened it with a guitar pick. at the back side just put it in between the back plate and the surrounding and turn the pick. The back plate is only snapped in.
Attached is a picture of the Ampe inside.

The antenna is a gray cable with a small foil antenna.
I have pland to exchange the existing antenna with something like this:
Antenna
I am not sure about the pins I will solder the antenna. I think the actual soldering point will be the antenna itself but I have to figure out which pin is the ground for the shield.

I will receive the antenna within next week and will tell you if it worked.

Update:

I have soldered the new antenna in. I figured out that the ground is directly soldered to the board next to the antenna connection. At first I didn't see that connection so be carefully with the soldering iron and make sure that two connections are not soldered together.

Unfortunately the result was not that good that I was expecting. The connection is only about 2-3 dB better but it is more stable. I have checked the connections and they are fine so I think the antenna I bought is still not much better than the internal one from factory.

If anybody has an suggestion for a better antenna I don't mind to give it another try.

I also tried several positions for the antenna and underneath the speaker is the best place.

One thing I figured out Is that I have the special edition with a metal back plate and this plate is reducing the signal heavily.

Edited by Exerkun, 02 October 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#12 droidhalf

droidhalf

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hello there guys,

I have also the issue with a bad WIFI connection.
I have an Ampe A10 which as far as I know is the same as the Sanei N10.
I have opened it with a guitar pick. at the back side just put it in between the back plate and the surrounding and turn the pick. The back plate is only snapped in.
Attached is a picture of the Ampe inside.

The antenna is a gray cable with a small foil antenna.
I have pland to exchange the existing antenna with something like this:
Antenna
I am not sure about the pins I will solder the antenna. I think the actual soldering point will be the antenna itself but I have to figure out which pin is the ground for the shield.

I will receive the antenna within next week and will tell you if it worked.

Update:

I have soldered the new antenna in. I figured out that the ground is directly soldered to the board next to the antenna connection. At first I didn't see that connection so be carefully with the soldering iron and make sure that two connections are not soldered together.

Unfortunately the result was not that good that I was expecting. The connection is only about 2-3 dB better but it is more stable. I have checked the connections and they are fine so I think the antenna I bought is still not much better than the internal one from factory.

If anybody has an suggestion for a better antenna I don't mind to give it another try.

I also tried several positions for the antenna and underneath the speaker is the best place.

One thing I figured out Is that I have the special edition with a metal back plate and this plate is reducing the signal heavily.

My N10 was "upgraded" to the metal back version when I ordered it and the wifi reception is really bad.

Where should we pick to open it up? Is there a picture? I didn't see any.

Thanks.

#13 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

I've got a similar problem with a metal-backed N83. Before going the hardware route, there seem to be easier ways to improve wifi performance somewhat: modify parameters in build.prop & using a custom rom

Heresas_sas suggested increasing the scan interval (& explained how to root the tablet, a prerequisite for this). A bit of extra detail:
- once rooted, download a build.prop editor (I got one from JRummy Apps which seems to work fine.
- one relevant parameter is
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval
- it needs a reboot to take effect.

For some reason the default scan interval was 15; increasing it to eighty made the wifi somewhat usable for web-browsing with a line of sight to the router. I'll try pushing that up a bit higher. I think someone mentioned using an 802.11n (rather than b or g) connection helps too.

Here some people discuss changing the packet size. However, my build.prop doesn't have a packet size line; the editor allows new parameters to be set, but I don't know how to 'spell' this. If anyone does figure out, I'd love to hear about it to try it out.

In the first thread sas_sas also mentions that some of the custom roms are better for wifi. But I'm new to the Android game, & I'd like to hold off rom-reflashing for the moment.

For people considering buying wireless bridges, AFAIK the TP Link WR703N is as cheap as they get (<$25 shipped). These come with a Chinese web interface, but are very easy to reflash with OpenWRT. (I just did this, but need to read up about routers to figure out what to do next :p)

Quite disappointed the N10 also has this problem. What are the Sanei people thinking of???

#14 droidhalf

droidhalf

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

I did manage to open my Sanei N10 yesterday but I didn't know what to do with the printed antenna before my wife wanted it back. Should I make a hole on the metal case to let the RF signal to go through? :mellow: I remember ordering a silicon sleeve with a weird opening for my son's ipod. There was probably a special window on the ipod case for the antenna and the sleeve tried to follow.

Well I'll check the wifi setting when I could get hold with the N10 again. It is already rooted on 4.04. My wife has been using the N10 to play videos continuously these days. She probably won't let me make a hole on the metal case. =@

BTW, I've bought a BT GPS for the same N10 but haven't got a chance to make it work. I could not install the bluetooth GPS app as google play said it's not compatible, probably because I had updated it to 4.04. It is off topic for the thread but I would appreciate any help.

On WR703N, would it allow wireless bridging alone without using the WAN port and the default route?

Thanks.

Edited by droidhalf, 15 October 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#15 sync_master

sync_master

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

For me below change improved the wifi performance :

- When I opened my Sanei N10 tablet , the wifi and bluetooth antennas are sticked to lcd panel.
- In my opinion the panel is blocking the antenna.
- So I moved the antennas to the sides of the tablet, so both sides of the antennas are open.
- It improved my reception from 1 to 2 in my worst point
- My tablet is plastic back

#16 mattcassidy

mattcassidy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

For me below change improved the wifi performance :

- When I opened my Sanei N10 tablet , the wifi and bluetooth antennas are sticked to lcd panel.
- In my opinion the panel is blocking the antenna.
- So I moved the antennas to the sides of the tablet, so both sides of the antennas are open.
- It improved my reception from 1 to 2 in my worst point
- My tablet is plastic back

I want to do that but I dont know hot to open it

#17 Mazarin07

Mazarin07

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

No. 1:
Check with INNSSider or similar software your wifi environment, and choose a channel on your router that is less busy

No. 2:
Set your wifi to emit on a wide frequency band (40 MHz instead of just 20 MHz).

No. 3:
New devices that work on 5 GHz (instead of 2.4) are better, because that band is not so crowded.
Best regards: Mazarin07
Ainol Novo 7 Fire
Want to update your firmware? (Instructions here.) First of all: make a backup of your stock firmware, and write down its version name/number (QM or TM?).
AML Flash tool user guide. (Not enough? Click here.)
Here is how to check your system details. Modify the language settings, if you have Chinese after the update.