Android Tablets Forum banner

Charging vi40 DC

7K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  valkoz 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how people charge their vi40 DC.

I'M in the UK and as my vi40 didn't come with a UK charger I'm using my I-phone charger.

Is this OK or should I be buying a plug UK adaptor?

Just don't want to end up ruining the battery.

Thanks

#3 ·
Mine came with an adaptor so I just use that with the supplied charger.

Any charger with the right voltage over 1amp should do the job but you should be looking to use a 2amp one as it will charge a bit faster.

If the IPhone one fits then it should be fine.

After a few charges the battery performs well and I notice I lose no charge as all when on stand-by.

If you haven't already, I would install the last custom firmware from valcoz

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the responses.

I checked my iPhone charger and it's only 1 amp. I did notice that while using the tablet this charger struggled to charge. For now I'll use the supplied charger with an adapter but might get the one from e bay . Hopefully using the supplied charger will give me more umph with it being 2 amps!

I installed the custom firmware earlier this week and it seems a big step forward then the stock fw I was running.

Thanks

#6 ·
An htc charger 5v 1A works. I am using it right now( They also didn't include an adapter converter in the box, although I paid extra for one..)
Not sure if it is bad for the battery, but it is made to load through the usb as well, so I guess it will be ok.
The supplied one of 2A is better, and faster.

Maybe with an charger, and an usb connection it may be faster aswell..

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
With great difficulty.

When battery drains below about 5%, it dies. Just will not charge. I have to do factory reset, and even that is v hard to do (like I have to try about 20 times)

I've checked the charger, and it's fine. Connection socket appears to be ok too - 4 times I've charged it to 100%.

3 times I updated firmware, then lost charging ability. So 4th time I just did factory reset and stayed with same firmware, but same result.

And now I can't get it to charge at all. Can sometimes get it past the onda splash screen, but then it will show like 3-5%, then start draining, not charging (I don't start any apps or connect wifi).

It's driving me nuts.

Oh, and when booting into safe mode for factory reset, it says not able to mount sd card. I'm new to android, and not sure if thats meant to happen?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I flashed Vi40D_v1.1-0711. Seemed ok at first, then, after about a week, charging went a bit weird. Was displaying 100% when i knew it wasn't fully charged. Then displayed 0% for hours. Then died and couldn't be started. Did factory reset, in case it was a dodgy app or flash (though I haven't read of others having problem with that fw). Worked for a few days, but when battery drained too low, it just wouldn't take a charge.

Did this 3 times. Now on 4th factory reset, but will not charge.

Think I'm going to have to return it to vendor (several thousand miles away). Maybe it's a hardware fault

(I can't flash anything now, cos I can't get it to charge)

#10 ·
If you don't mind warranty, you might wanna try to solder the battery loose and back on again.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would suggest flashing the custom Vi40D_v1.4-EN03, and try to recalibrate the battery.

edit;
about the battery soldering. I did it with an 7" and it did the job.
The battery wasn't able to go beyond 40% after 2 years. Now it holds 10H of screen on, at 10% brightness, and music play again. It's magic.
Just cut the cables and recontacted them if you are no soldering guy. Try software calibration first if possible.

#13 ·
No, it's not normal...
This can be caused by using a different usb-cable.
Every brand and every device uses it's own specific usb cable, some can not replace each other and can even work visa versa, like draining instead of charging.
Try a different usb cable.

#20 ·
Update is that I got the thing up and running again. Did a hard reset with the pinhole, then after a LOT of attempts, managed to squeeze enough juice to boot into safe mode and did factory reset from there. After a few hours, charged to 100%.

So I'm back to original firmware, and will try to flash the suggested version.

I will do my darndest to never let the power fall below 10% ever, ever again. Just in case.

And pretend to my wife that all this stuff was meant to happen, and that iPad is still a waste of money.

#25 ·
*sigh* I had to find out. It was charging fine, but then, to test, I let the battery drain to 5%, then plugged in the charger. Nothing. Just continued draining to 0%, and now it won't take a charge at all.

Now I'm going to have to do hard reset and start again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.