Android Tablets Forum banner

Hyundai Hold X DualCore 7" IPS Tablet

70K views 164 replies 38 participants last post by  Dubois 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you are looking for a good-looking classy 7" Tablet, Hyundai Hold X is definitely for you. It is a beautiful Tablet and like most of available cheap Tablets, this one also offers a 1.6GHz DualCore RK3066 CPU with QuadCore Mali-400 GPU. It has a 1GB of system RAM and a 16GB of flash storage (8GB also available). The rest of the speficifications are identical to Ainol Novo7 Aurora-2 like 1024x600 resolution with IPS screen, 2.0MP front-facing Camera, 3700mAh Battery Capacity, 802.11B/G/N Wi-Fi and a less than 10mm of thickness. A mini-USB with OTG function port, a mini-HDMI port, microSD slot, charger and headphone ports.

What made this Tablet superior than Ainol Novo7 Aurora-2 is the full Aluminum-Alloy back shell casing, built-in Bluetooth 2.1 and ofcourse, the JellyBean 4.1 Android OS. It may be better than Novo7 Aurora-2, but overall it is still inferior than Ainol Novo7 Fire (Novo7 Flame) which has a 5.0MP rear-facing Camera with Flash, 5000mAh Battery Capacity and an HD resolution screen. 16GB version is available at an Online Store based in Shenzhen China for US$159.99 while 8GB version is US$149.99 both includes world-wide free shipping. Meh!! US$6.00 less than Novo7 Fire ~_~

Anyway, this should be a good alternative and bang 4 buck Tablet. It shouldn't let you down in your needs of performance while giving a quite good Battery life and classy feeling LoL. Honestly? I want to have this Tablet and perform a user review and side-by-side compare it to Ainol Novo7 Aurora-2 or even PiPO U1 overall experience. =)

Thanks for reading...

#14 ·
Anybody knows where I could a find a good review? I'm looking for a god rk3066 tablet and so far the Hold X meets the specs I need, I've read the rock x has some problems in other post in this forum so i wanted to know the cons of this one

I want a tablet with Bluetooth cause I want to pair my ps3 controller with the tablet to play some games
my budget its around 160 USD

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ionno, I'd rate it equal to ainol's Fire.

Hold X: 5$ cheaper, quad GPUs
Fire: bigger batt

The 1280x800 res is a double edged sword. It looks nice, but no good if the AML cant handle the vid/game.
And I still dont understand the point of having a rear cam on a tablet.

But firmware support is unknown for the Hold X.

EDIT: Pandawill blog says mini USB. Pandawill site says micro USB. Which one is it?

#6 ·
BT is great for a keyboard and/or mouse. Which is great on a 9.7" or 10.1" tablet... I am struggling for a good answer for a 7" device sporting blutooth as well
. No sim slot means no phone calls so no reason to have a blutooth headset.

That pretty much leaves these things that I could think of MAYBE using:

1. Bluetooth remote control if I am using it with HDMI

2. Bluetooth headphones

3. Bluetooth GPS module

4. Maybe bluetooth file transfer?

That's it... (all that I can think of)

I would much rather have it than not, and most people complain if it doesn't have it (compared with say a Nexus 7 which also has the higher-res screen, nfc, gps, the support of google, asus build quality, way more battery life)...

It really has come down to that question. I have to ask myself... this unit is nice, but is it a better value than a Nexus 7?

Most 7" China tabs aren't

I am thinking this one might be if I can get the price low enough.

Regards,

Roman

#7 ·
Yea...I dont use BT for any of those things. I probably wont need BT on my tab.
1) Not gonna use tab as TV.
2) Batteries for headphones, which will be too much hassle for me. And earbuds are more compact.
3) GPS on phone so I'm good.
4) I'd probably just send through email or mircoSD.

I wouldnt get N7 over Hold X.
I have no need for NFC and GPS on a tab. The money I pay for that could've been used for something else.
N7 also doesnt have HDMI and microSD. And the OS takes about 2gb so the 8gb N7 would leave you with only 6gb.

#8 ·
Yeah I really dont use BT even with my phone - but for a 10" tab I think its mandatory for keyboard and mouse. The Nexus 7 was really tempting but Im happy I got the N70 - the quality control on the Nexus 7 is terrible from what Im reading on their forums. The Hyundai looks nice but we don't know much about the quality which is the problem with choosing it
. The Pipo-U1 and the Ainol Fire would be no-brainers if they didn't have so many damn quality issues!

#9 ·
I had a perfect PiPo-U1 - My concern with that unit was the battery life which is a bit on the side of dreadful.

The Ainol Fire has a hi-res screen paired with an under-powered AmLogic processor. Not a good combination. Furthermore, as noted, Ainol QC is absolutely horrid and their product support is worse than their QC.

The Onda V711 isn't a bad choice for the price and Onda has good build quality and QC, but their battery life is not the best due to a small battery in that unit
but it is still better than the PiPo-U1.

Best value tablets for the money right now are the 9.7" devices. The Yuandao N90 II (if you can get one without quality issues) and the PiPo M1 which is slightly more expensive but it is a bit better build quality and I haven't had a bad one yet.

Honestly I am having a hard time finding a good device in the 7" range that hits the battery life I want and the company that sells it has good enough QC with the right price.

Regards,

Roman

#11 ·
The QC issues that I have seen have not been related to the rk3066 main board. The all winner a10 platform was a QC nightmare (units that would freeze up or reboot all the time). You don't really see those issues with the rk3066. It more like, microphones and screens and touch panels, all stuff that companies like cube (who honestly IMHO pumps out pure junk) are at fault for, not the rk3066 main board.

There are only two brands I have bought and been consistently happy with, PiPo and Onda.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
I do not totaly agree with Roman, i sold my PiPo U1, because it had a bad to white screen and very bad wifi, by far the worst wifi of the 30+ chinatabs I bought in the last 18 month.
Now says a dutch proverb 'one example is not an example', but i wonder how many little devices you had to compare.
I bought seven 7" AML8726-MX devices and sold them all, because the following four RK3066 tablets do perform much better and do not have the heat problem like the AML8726-MX.
The best of that four is the Cube mini U30GT with very good screen and wifi and less issues.
Second the Window N70 with the best, most bright screen and good wifi. This one suffers sometimes from ghost touches, but i hope a firmware update will solve this.
Third the 8" teclast P85, this is as good as the first twoo devices (has the best wifi), but has not IPS, and because of that i ordered the P85HD.
The fourth place the PiPo U1, and the reason you can read above.
I must say to have no experience with Onda, but what i see most recent devices use the AML8726-MX, which is for me a deal breaker.
I also own an ipad one, samsung P1000. P6800, HP touchpad, Blackberry playbook, google nexus 7, and they all tell me, do you want less bugs and issues, buy a premium brand. If you do not care to tweak, or you want buy cheap, buy a china tab.
With every chinatab i bought is something wrong, but i love them and use them much, much more than the premium brands i own.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just saw and had a go with this at PCworld here in the UK....

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/yarvik-tab275euk-gotab-ion-tablet-pc-8-gb-17853514-pdt.html

I believe it is a Yarvik re brand of the Hyundai A7HD which was the single core Allwinner A10 tablet with a almost identical body/chassis to the Hold X that they released prior to this latest RK3066 crop. Unfortunately this tablet was plagued with touchscreen and wifi issues.

However...I will say this. This tablet is one of the smallest 7 inch tablets I have actually ever seen, the bezel is tiny and the all metal finish is really nice, looks really small next to the nexus 7. The instore models touchscreen was a bit unresponsive though and the back light was too dim even at the highest setting, you could also notice the screens reduced sharpness/clarity in comparison to the nexus 7's 1280x800 display.

After reading all the issues with the Rock X I don't really have high hopes for this one,it's a real shame though as this tablet looks and feels really nice, can't believe how small it is, wish all 7 inchers we're this compact.

#19 ·
This week I received Hyundai Hold X (Hyundai X700) tablet from Tinydeal.com.

I'm pretty satisfied with it (although they send me 8gb model insted 16gb model I ordered, but I don't bother to file a reclaim).

A few pros

+ 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
+ Really stylish design and full aluminium back plate with good quality of work
+ Play store and Google account work out-of-the-box
+ Bluetooth

A few cons

- Bad sound quality from headphone jack (sound have a weird background noise)
- Bad wifi reception, it drops 20-40% even after few meters if theres a door or a wall between router and tablet
- Chinese bloatware (although they have kept it to minimum)

And then a question:

How can I root this device?

I have tried Moborobo but it can't identify tablet and doesn't install drivers, so SuperOneClick or Zhuodash doesn't identify it either.

Any advice is appreciated thank you.

#24 ·
Hmm. What could be the problem? Some people have managed to root, but others haven't.

A few cons

- Bad sound quality from headphone jack (sound have a weird background noise)
- Bad wifi reception, it drops 20-40% even after few meters if theres a door or a wall between router and tablet
- Chinese bloatware (although they have kept it to minimum)
Is it possible for the above problems to be fixed with a firmware upgrade btw?

#21 ·
Yes, that is one of the methods I tried.

Biggest problem with this tablet seems to be that none of the usual tools (Moborobo, ZhuDaShi, SuperOneClick) can't identify the device (i.e. those programs can't "see" the tablet). It simply doesn't show on anywhere.

I'm baffled.

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Published on 18.10.2012 as seen on the page below. The second link there.

http://www.hyundai-digital.cn/Download.asp?ClassID=1

Do your tablets show any date firmware related?
I don't have the tablet on me a.t.m. I'll check it when I get to home but if memory serves me rigth the FW date was 17.10.2012. But I'll look into it later.

That download page keeps 404 on me

EDIT: remebered right: Kernel version Wed Oct 17.

#32 ·
I recently bought the Hyundai Hold X (X700) 7" tablet.

I noticed there's a software update on your web page http://www.hyundai-digital.cn/Downloads.asp?Meter=1&ID=75

Unfortunately that page keep giving me 404 error. Is the page offline? And when will the update be awailable? Is there an alternative page to download this?

I'd also like to point you that at least on my device there seems to be some problem with Bluetooth. The BT connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. Maybe it's some software bug you could look upon next update?
I send the message above to service@hyundai-digital.cn. We shall see if and what they'll answer will be

#33 ·
Yep, here is the same thing :s I'm trying to root my teclast P85 rk3066 using different methods, but the problem is tablet seems not recognized by my windows when I connect it :/
Window fails to install ADB interface :/ problem probably device missing ADB drivers :s

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
I read above post from another thread and this is exactly my problem with Hyundai too. My Windows 8 is missing ADB drivers which is why Windows (and Moborobo etc) doesn't recognize my tablet on debugging mode. Without debugging Windows recognises tablet as external storage just fine. I tried to find drivers, even some generic ADB USB drivers, but no luck. Is there some generic RK3066 ADB drivers..?

Any advice? Somebody mentioned trying to install ADB drivers by pressing volume and power button but how is this procedure executed?

#34 ·
Today I get rooted my Hyundai Hold X easily. There is slightly modified version of SuperOneClick application I fount on 4pda forum. If root procedure still complicated for someone I can upload that version for you.

And I have a question. I am crazy about one damp problem. The problem is sound. When I working on Hold X i listen very silent noises from its audio. And quiet "clicks". When I did not touch anything audio system make quied "click" sound and silence appears. But when i press something I listen another "click" and silent noise for some of time. Did someone has same problem?

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
Today I opened my Hyundai in hopes I could do something for the wifi antenna and headphone jack.

It was incredibly dumb thing to do
Seriously, don't do it.

The wifi antenna was this tiny wire with piece of copper at the end of it. And it was placed pretty decently so I think it just is too tiny for the job. Next I tried to see if there was something wrong with the headphone jack. Well, it looked ok: nothing loose or hanging or shorting and soldering was ok too. So it must be defective or something.

So far so good (considering). Problem was putting the thing back together. The metallic backplate was just pressed in place with a touch of stickytape at the short ends. Of course the sticky stuff didn't stick so well anymore so I got not-so-bright idea of using superglue. That was stupid of me in hindsight. I think the vapors from glue wreck havoc inside the tablet since the buttons (power, volume, home) doesn't respond so well anymore. And I still had to put some electric tape to stop the case from opening at the seams.

All in all, heed my cautionary tale.

Nom de plume "I'm gonna get me Nexus 7 come december"

#47 ·
Hello,

Please help me.
I had a Hyundai HoldX 8Gb, but I have a problem.
The charging is not working properly. And the battery indicator incorrectly shows the battery power.
The tablet is discharged ( leastwise according the battery indicator) when the charger is connected. And I disconnected the charger, and the 0% battery power goes to 100%...

What's the problem, and what could be a solution?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.