164 replies to this topic

#1 ivanz

ivanz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

If you are looking for a good-looking classy 7" Tablet, Hyundai Hold X is definitely for you. It is a beautiful Tablet and like most of available cheap Tablets, this one also offers a 1.6GHz DualCore RK3066 CPU with QuadCore Mali-400 GPU. It has a 1GB of system RAM and a 16GB of flash storage (8GB also available). The rest of the speficifications are identical to Ainol Novo7 Aurora-2 like 1024x600 resolution with IPS screen, 2.0MP front-facing Camera, 3700mAh Battery Capacity, 802.11B/G/N Wi-Fi and a less than 10mm of thickness. A mini-USB with OTG function port, a mini-HDMI port, microSD slot, charger and headphone ports.

What made this Tablet superior than Ainol Novo7 Aurora-2 is the full Aluminum-Alloy back shell casing, built-in Bluetooth 2.1 and ofcourse, the JellyBean 4.1 Android OS. It may be better than Novo7 Aurora-2, but overall it is still inferior than Ainol Novo7 Fire (Novo7 Flame) which has a 5.0MP rear-facing Camera with Flash, 5000mAh Battery Capacity and an HD resolution screen. 16GB version is available at an Online Store based in Shenzhen China for US$159.99 while 8GB version is US$149.99 both includes world-wide free shipping. Meh!! US$6.00 less than Novo7 Fire ~_~

Anyway, this should be a good alternative and bang 4 buck Tablet. It shouldn't let you down in your needs of performance while giving a quite good Battery life and classy feeling LoL. Honestly? I want to have this Tablet and perform a user review and side-by-side compare it to Ainol Novo7 Aurora-2 or even PiPO U1 overall experience. =)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for reading...

Edited by ivanz, 23 October 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#2 ivanz

ivanz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

It is confirmed. Hyundai Hold X is currently running IceCreamSandwich 4.0.4 instead of JellyBean 4.1.1 Operating System.

However, they also said that Hyundai is on its way to release JellyBean 4.1.1 OS.

#3 ChappyHappy

ChappyHappy

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Ionno, I'd rate it equal to ainol's Fire.

Hold X: 5$ cheaper, quad GPUs
Fire: bigger batt

The 1280x800 res is a double edged sword. It looks nice, but no good if the AML cant handle the vid/game.
And I still dont understand the point of having a rear cam on a tablet.

But firmware support is unknown for the Hold X.

EDIT: Pandawill blog says mini USB. Pandawill site says micro USB. Which one is it?

Edited by ChappyHappy, 15 September 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#4 gashinshotan

gashinshotan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Ainol Fire got MAJOR quality issues - just look at the sub-forum. Nullifies the rest of the features it has over the other 7" tabs. If only Yuandao had made the N70 with bluetooth and a bigger battery.... blow everything else out of the water!

#5 ChappyHappy

ChappyHappy

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

I'm debating Hold X or N70.
The Hold X looks better and is lighter and slimmer and metal, but the N70 is cheaper and I'm struggling to find a use for BT.

#6 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

I'm debating Hold X or N70.
The Hold X looks better and is lighter and slimmer and metal, but the N70 is cheaper and I'm struggling to find a use for BT.

BT is great for a keyboard and/or mouse. Which is great on a 9.7" or 10.1" tablet... I am struggling for a good answer for a 7" device sporting blutooth as well :(. No sim slot means no phone calls so no reason to have a blutooth headset.

That pretty much leaves these things that I could think of MAYBE using:

1. Bluetooth remote control if I am using it with HDMI

2. Bluetooth headphones

3. Bluetooth GPS module

4. Maybe bluetooth file transfer?

That's it... (all that I can think of)

I would much rather have it than not, and most people complain if it doesn't have it (compared with say a Nexus 7 which also has the higher-res screen, nfc, gps, the support of google, asus build quality, way more battery life)...

It really has come down to that question. I have to ask myself... this unit is nice, but is it a better value than a Nexus 7?

Most 7" China tabs aren't :(

I am thinking this one might be if I can get the price low enough.

Regards,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#7 ChappyHappy

ChappyHappy

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yea...I dont use BT for any of those things. I probably wont need BT on my tab.
1) Not gonna use tab as TV.
2) Batteries for headphones, which will be too much hassle for me. And earbuds are more compact.
3) GPS on phone so I'm good.
4) I'd probably just send through email or mircoSD.

I wouldnt get N7 over Hold X.
I have no need for NFC and GPS on a tab. The money I pay for that could've been used for something else.
N7 also doesnt have HDMI and microSD. And the OS takes about 2gb so the 8gb N7 would leave you with only 6gb.

#8 gashinshotan

gashinshotan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

Yeah I really dont use BT even with my phone - but for a 10" tab I think its mandatory for keyboard and mouse. The Nexus 7 was really tempting but Im happy I got the N70 - the quality control on the Nexus 7 is terrible from what Im reading on their forums. The Hyundai looks nice but we don't know much about the quality which is the problem with choosing it :(. The Pipo-U1 and the Ainol Fire would be no-brainers if they didn't have so many damn quality issues!

#9 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

Yeah I really dont use BT even with my phone - but for a 10" tab I think its mandatory for keyboard and mouse. The Nexus 7 was really tempting but Im happy I got the N70 - the quality control on the Nexus 7 is terrible from what Im reading on their forums. The Hyundai looks nice but we don't know much about the quality which is the problem with choosing it :(. The Pipo-U1 and the Ainol Fire would be no-brainers if they didn't have so many damn quality issues!

I had a perfect PiPo-U1 - My concern with that unit was the battery life which is a bit on the side of dreadful.

The Ainol Fire has a hi-res screen paired with an under-powered AmLogic processor. Not a good combination. Furthermore, as noted, Ainol QC is absolutely horrid and their product support is worse than their QC.

The Onda V711 isn't a bad choice for the price and Onda has good build quality and QC, but their battery life is not the best due to a small battery in that unit :( but it is still better than the PiPo-U1.

Best value tablets for the money right now are the 9.7" devices. The Yuandao N90 II (if you can get one without quality issues) and the PiPo M1 which is slightly more expensive but it is a bit better build quality and I haven't had a bad one yet.

Honestly I am having a hard time finding a good device in the 7" range that hits the battery life I want and the company that sells it has good enough QC with the right price.

Regards,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#10 sere83

sere83

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

I had a perfect PiPo-U1 - My concern with that unit was the battery life which is a bit on the side of dreadful.

The Ainol Fire has a hi-res screen paired with an under-powered AmLogic processor. Not a good combination. Furthermore, as noted, Ainol QC is absolutely horrid and their product support is worse than their QC.

The Onda V711 isn't a bad choice for the price and Onda has good build quality and QC, but their battery life is not the best due to a small battery in that unit :( but it is still better than the PiPo-U1.

Best value tablets for the money right now are the 9.7" devices. The Yuandao N90 II (if you can get one without quality issues) and the PiPo M1 which is slightly more expensive but it is a bit better build quality and I haven't had a bad one yet.

Honestly I am having a hard time finding a good device in the 7" range that hits the battery life I want and the company that sells it has good enough QC with the right price.

Regards,

Roman

Yep agree with you on that. While the AMLogic MX is obviously not a great performer against the RK3066, in actual fact a large proportion of the RK3066 devices have not really been that great in terms of QC and battery, the 7 inchers being the worst performers.

To be honest I am more interested in what domestic brands using foreign chips have in the pipeline. In Terms of QC and battery I'm pretty sure the SmartQ X7 will be the best 7 inch tab to come out of china when it drops, but it will not be cheap. Moving up to 10 inch the Ramos W30 with quad core Exynos is looking beastly and could again have real potential.

Rockchip wise I know that Window are bringing out an HD version of the N70 with a 1280x800 display, but if the original is anything to go by it probably won't be spectacular either. The most comical of all though is that Cube will be releasing the U9GTV with a 2048×1536 'retina' display.

I admire their front but this will almost certainly be plagued with issues, pushing that many pixels on the RK3066 with out performance issues is going to be difficult and battery will no doubt be bad. Teclast also got a quad core in the pipeline called the T88, no word yet though.

Edited by sere83, 21 September 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#11 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

The QC issues that I have seen have not been related to the rk3066 main board. The all winner a10 platform was a QC nightmare (units that would freeze up or reboot all the time). You don't really see those issues with the rk3066. It more like, microphones and screens and touch panels, all stuff that companies like cube (who honestly IMHO pumps out pure junk) are at fault for, not the rk3066 main board.

There are only two brands I have bought and been consistently happy with, PiPo and Onda.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

-Ayn Rand

#12 ivanz

ivanz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

I absolutely agree on Roman..

#13 janesh

janesh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationthe netherlands

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

I do not totaly agree with Roman, i sold my PiPo U1, because it had a bad to white screen and very bad wifi, by far the worst wifi of the 30+ chinatabs I bought in the last 18 month.
Now says a dutch proverb 'one example is not an example', but i wonder how many little devices you had to compare.
I bought seven 7" AML8726-MX devices and sold them all, because the following four RK3066 tablets do perform much better and do not have the heat problem like the AML8726-MX.
The best of that four is the Cube mini U30GT with very good screen and wifi and less issues.
Second the Window N70 with the best, most bright screen and good wifi. This one suffers sometimes from ghost touches, but i hope a firmware update will solve this.
Third the 8" teclast P85, this is as good as the first twoo devices (has the best wifi), but has not IPS, and because of that i ordered the P85HD.
The fourth place the PiPo U1, and the reason you can read above.
I must say to have no experience with Onda, but what i see most recent devices use the AML8726-MX, which is for me a deal breaker.
I also own an ipad one, samsung P1000. P6800, HP touchpad, Blackberry playbook, google nexus 7, and they all tell me, do you want less bugs and issues, buy a premium brand. If you do not care to tweak, or you want buy cheap, buy a china tab.
With every chinatab i bought is something wrong, but i love them and use them much, much more than the premium brands i own.

Edited by janesh, 23 September 2012 - 06:17 AM.

On order, nothing, and am i am finished with Chinese cpu's, i prefer my exynos devices.
Favorites, in order of use, Samsung galaxy note 8 inch, Ramos W42, Ployer Momo11 quad exynos 4412.
Sold last months, PiPo U1, Teclast P85, PiPo S2, Teclast P85HD, Cube mini U30GT, Yuandao Vido N80IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero ii: very bad, Ployer Momo12, Onda V812, Yuandao Vido N80 RK3188, Teclast P88, Google Nexus 7-8Gb, PiPo M8pro RK3188, Chuwi V88 RK3188, Samsung galaxy tab 7.7, Ployer Momo8 IPS, Yuandao Window N70, BB playbook.
And: You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason: we were lazy.

#14 srmoska

srmoska

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

It is confirmed. Hyundai Hold X is currently running IceCreamSandwich 4.0.4 instead of JellyBean 4.1.1 Operating System.

However, they also said that Hyundai is on its way to release JellyBean 4.1.1 OS.

Anybody knows where I could a find a good review? I'm looking for a god rk3066 tablet and so far the Hold X meets the specs I need, I've read the rock x has some problems in other post in this forum so i wanted to know the cons of this one

I want a tablet with Bluetooth cause I want to pair my ps3 controller with the tablet to play some games :) my budget its around 160 USD

#15 sere83

sere83

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Just saw and had a go with this at PCworld here in the UK....

http://www.pcworld.c...853514-pdt.html

I believe it is a Yarvik re brand of the Hyundai A7HD which was the single core Allwinner A10 tablet with a almost identical body/chassis to the Hold X that they released prior to this latest RK3066 crop. Unfortunately this tablet was plagued with touchscreen and wifi issues.

However...I will say this. This tablet is one of the smallest 7 inch tablets I have actually ever seen, the bezel is tiny and the all metal finish is really nice, looks really small next to the nexus 7. The instore models touchscreen was a bit unresponsive though and the back light was too dim even at the highest setting, you could also notice the screens reduced sharpness/clarity in comparison to the nexus 7's 1280x800 display.

After reading all the issues with the Rock X I don't really have high hopes for this one,it's a real shame though as this tablet looks and feels really nice, can't believe how small it is, wish all 7 inchers we're this compact.

Edited by sere83, 05 October 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#16 mikele79

mikele79

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Yep agree with you on that. While the AMLogic MX is obviously not a great performer against the RK3066, in actual fact a large proportion of the RK3066 devices have not really been that great in terms of QC and battery, the 7 inchers being the worst performers.

To be honest I am more interested in what domestic brands using foreign chips have in the pipeline. In Terms of QC and battery I'm pretty sure the SmartQ X7 will be the best 7 inch tab to come out of china when it drops, but it will not be cheap. Moving up to 10 inch the Ramos W30 with quad core Exynos is looking beastly and could again have real potential.

Rockchip wise I know that Window are bringing out an HD version of the N70 with a 1280x800 display, but if the original is anything to go by it probably won't be spectacular either. The most comical of all though is that Cube will be releasing the U9GTV with a 2048×1536 'retina' display.

I admire their front but this will almost certainly be plagued with issues, pushing that many pixels on the RK3066 with out performance issues is going to be difficult and battery will no doubt be bad. Teclast also got a quad core in the pipeline called the T88, no word yet though.

#17 TayfunRaider

TayfunRaider

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

This one is what I'm looking for feature and design wise.
Would like to hear reviews if anyone got one already.
Also is it possible to make a custom rom for this tablet?
I believe Hold X would be just worth making one.

#18 Mauricio R.

Mauricio R.

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm in the same boat, i REALLY like the form factor on this tablet, i saw a review on youtube and didnt notice anything out of ordinary, but who knows....

#19 Moolok

Moolok

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

This week I received Hyundai Hold X (Hyundai X700) tablet from Tinydeal.com.

I'm pretty satisfied with it (although they send me 8gb model insted 16gb model I ordered, but I don't bother to file a reclaim).

A few pros

+ 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
+ Really stylish design and full aluminium back plate with good quality of work
+ Play store and Google account work out-of-the-box
+ Bluetooth

A few cons

- Bad sound quality from headphone jack (sound have a weird background noise)
- Bad wifi reception, it drops 20-40% even after few meters if theres a door or a wall between router and tablet
- Chinese bloatware (although they have kept it to minimum)

And then a question:

How can I root this device?

I have tried Moborobo but it can't identify tablet and doesn't install drivers, so SuperOneClick or Zhuodash doesn't identify it either.

Any advice is appreciated thank you.

#20 TayfunRaider

TayfunRaider

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

I suppose you tried the method below.
http://tabletrepubli...-core-2491.html

If doesn't work, here's what another member did additionally. You can see his post on the page above.

"Installed Superuser then and access grant provided. Working now"